Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Diamond in the Rough

decent episode

jesus and mariana's plot was ok, mariana shouldn't have lied though to jesus, also i think that maybe that's enough construction for jesus for one lifetime, also wonder what happened to gabe, maybe his lycanthropy is appearing again (extra points if you get that reference), someone should punch brandon in the eyes for his comment

diamond plot was interesting and very sad

aj should live with mike, his brother was a manipulative jerk 

the girl kissed aj first not aj kissed her first, i have a gif that proves it, that annoyed me, but with any luck anyway it's the end of aj and callie and aj is free of that pest callie

never thought i would feel bad for monte, that drew is a  monster, faking that complaint to get her fired so he could get her job when kids needed the sex ed

This episode was just okay.

We all knew that Callie/AJ wasn't going to last. Is this paving the way for Brallie's ultimate reunion? *GAG*

Byeeeee, Monte!

Spoiler

But she'll be back in episode 19 at least.

Will Lena actually become Principal? This Drew is bad news. 

Stef is now in a whole new world - Human Trafficking. 

What is Diamond cooking up? She has to bring Russell a girl because he lost out on money? This is baaaaaad.

Jesus and Mariana are so pure. That is what I've been waiting for with the TBI plot, Mariana supporting her brother. I loved her wearing her glasses and reading to him. 

I'm glad that the show made the point that Jesus still has a long recovery ahead of him. He's missed a lot of school and he's got bigger mountains to climb right now.

• Love 1

Well, I agree that it was just ok. I didn't tune in live, and I'm glad I didn't. 

It was nice to see Callie interact with her family again. But she still annoys the crap out of me. I'm glad AJ broke things off with her. I mean, thinking about it, they've only been together for a few months in The Fosters timeline (or, apparently since it's only been less than a year and a half since the pilot according to the showrunners, like three weeks) so their issues have kind of been building up. 

But hey, now Callie can go run to Aaron and hook up with him! 

Mariana/Jesus scenes! It's a miracle! I did think that they were trying to build up to a reason why they weren't sharing scenes, like Mariana having immense guilt over Jesus' injury and that's why she's avoiding the time with her twin. I will give them credit on this secret that she's keeping from him, and how it's not just about Emma. Also, drawing again? Did we know that Jesus had art skills? I honestly can't remember. I really do love gung-ho Mariana. When she's not causing trouble and getting into relationship drama, she's actually a great person. I do love how she's helping Jesus with this project, even by suggesting that he starts early on his senior project as a junior. Even if they're addressing how serious the TBI is and how it's affecting his entire life, at least she's trying. 

Noah's doing a great job with the TBI story. It's clear that he's really done his research, because it shows through his acting.

Bye, Monte! I know you'll probably be back at least once more, but I hope you stay away! I could see Lena being a good principal for next season. But of course Drew's a greedy person who wanted the job. I'm sure, with his shadiness here, he'll have some secrets that will come out. 

I guess Stef's now working in human trafficking. Diamond's story is definitely sad but I'm interested. Too bad all I can picture is Callie getting involved accidentally. 

• Love 2

I liked this episode. Didn't miss Jude at all. How times have changed!!

AJ's smile when Mike offered him continued support and not to have to choose between Mike and his brother was really amazing. I didn't realize how seldom AJ smiles til that moment. I suspect there will be problems, but that moment was really sweet.

I didn't understand how the glasses were helping Jesus. They said there's nothing wrong with his eyes. So if it's in his brain, not his eyes, how do glasses help? 

Everyone is lying to Jesus and hiding things from him. I know how it got started, but it's adding to his depression. He seems to be able to handle his emotions better now than he was at first, and he's bored. He needs things that engage him, like how the music did at first. He needs to have a feeling that his life is not just therapies and TBI effects. I was glad that Mariana finally tried to spend time with him -- we haven't seen their closeness in a while.

I can almost never read what anyone is texting on this show. I wish they wouldn't use that as a storytelling device because I have no idea what's happening when they do.

Was very surprised Stef thought Lena was being paranoid about her work situation. Seemed out of character.

• Love 4

I am at a hotel so I could watch this episode as it aired.

I'm trying to remember if I ever heard of anyone needing glassed to help with TBI. I can't. Probably one of those out of nowhere dear the writers come up with just to show Mariana wearing hers in solidarity. And she lies again. I don't think the project was approved because she joined it. Did I miss anything. She just said that to Jesus because she couldn't bear to see him disappointed again, right?

The idea that Jesus would have to go to a "special school" because he is still recovering is ridiculous. First, the way it was said by Lena was dismissive (I am biased, maybe it is just something that annoys me). It is also not accurate. They still don't know how far he will go in his recovery. He will continue with his therapies, even in the twisted way the writers decided - as in at home - but he is clearly getting better (too fast, but not unlike anything else in this show). His trouble reading seems to be more like a dyslexic person, and there are accommodations for them. Of course, Anchor Beach is a Charter School and those are not known for accepting disabled kids, or being friendly to accommodations. It would be great to see the show tackling this.

I haven't watched the previous episodes so I might be missing things that have already been discussed.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I didn't understand how the glasses were helping Jesus. They said there's nothing wrong with his eyes. So if it's in his brain, not his eyes, how do glasses help? 

I remember that when Hillary Clinton had a head injury, for awhile afterwards she wore thick glasses.  The prism helped correct double vision from the injury.  The way they've shown printed material that Jesus sees, it looks different than double vision, the letters are moving around, so I don't know if it's the same or even accurate, but it could be since lenses help process images.

Callie has been stupid and AJ has recently been a truth-teller to her, but I did not like him having sex with her, then telling her he loved her but she is too hard and that he likes someone else.  Similarly I did not care for Matt telling Mariana he loved her but can't trust her so bam, goodbye.  Also, Emma being on antiobiotics which ended up with her pregnant.  I see a pattern here.  Girls are getting shafted.

Speaking of shafted, I felt bad for Monte even though she is pretty unlikable.  She didn't deserve that backstabbing.

The actress who plays Diamond can really, really cry.  She's good.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, hovegeta said:

decent episode

jesus and mariana's plot was ok, mariana shouldn't have lied though to jesus, also i think that maybe that's enough construction for jesus for one lifetime, also wonder what happened to gabe, maybe his lycanthropy is appearing again (extra points if you get that reference), someone should punch brandon in the eyes for his comment

diamond plot was interesting and very sad

aj should live with mike, his brother was a manipulative jerk 

the girl kissed aj first not aj kissed her first, i have a gif that proves it, that annoyed me, but with any luck anyway it's the end of aj and callie and aj is free of that pest callie

never thought i would feel bad for monte, that drew is a  monster, faking that complaint to get her fired so he could get her job when kids needed the sex ed

Seriously. Just when I thought Brandon was starting to show signs of real maturity the past several episodes. Oh well, two steps forward, one step back.

2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

The idea that Jesus would have to go to a "special school" because he is still recovering is ridiculous. First, the way it was said by Lena was dismissive (I am biased, maybe it is just something that annoys me). It is also not accurate. They still don't know how far he will go in his recovery. He will continue with his therapies, even in the twisted way the writers decided - as in at home - but he is clearly getting better (too fast, but not unlike anything else in this show). His trouble reading seems to be more like a dyslexic person, and there are accommodations for them. Of course, Anchor Beach is a Charter School and those are not known for accepting disabled kids, or being friendly to accommodations. It would be great to see the show tackling this.

I do think that next season will have Jesus back at Anchor Beach, especially if Lena does become Principal, but you make a great point. I do think his trouble reading isn't quite like dyslexia and more that he literally can't process the words. They show it like the words are completely blurry and swimming on the page. I do worry that this show will do a time jump for season five (probably by having Callie go to jail for a year) and that'll have them time jump Jesus' recovery as well. I've been thinking about that for a few episodes now. And that would annoy me more than anything. 

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Everyone is lying to Jesus and hiding things from him. I know how it got started, but it's adding to his depression. He seems to be able to handle his emotions better now than he was at first, and he's bored. He needs things that engage him, like how the music did at first. He needs to have a feeling that his life is not just therapies and TBI effects. I was glad that Mariana finally tried to spend time with him -- we haven't seen their closeness in a while.

I agree. I see that this is what Mariana's trying to do with the Treehouse Project, but once he finds out that this senior project is not going to benefit him in terms of school since it was rejected, then it'll add to his depression. Everyone's lying to him, it seems. Emma, Brandon, and now Lena and Mariana (and she's lying about two things now!). This might hurt him more in the long run. But I do know Mariana's intentions are good. And who knows? Maybe this will end up being her own senior project, depending on the role she takes. I do understand her need to make her brother happy, and her and Brandon are the only ones to have come up with something productive that has made Jesus happy. 

Decent episode. A nice break  (kind of) from drama. 

Emma is annoying me. Like I get why she lied at first, but with the letter and beating around the bush at the wedding she's coming off as if she doesn't really want to tell Jesus. And not like she thinks it's not the right time, but as if she is trying to do it in the most contact avoidant way possible. I get being worried plus the possible shame, but dude just tell him and get it over with. If he really is getting better all this lying is going to make it seem to him like he's not getting better and you guys just want him to think he is. 

And if she wanted the letter she should have come to get it herself. Mariana has been on a downslide lately, but she was right about Emma implicating Brandon not being cool.  I was alright with it before because Emma definitely needed someone to lean on before, but this is starting to go further than that. 

Technically, the tree house thing could still work as a senior project. I mean, if Mariana pitches it again with herself attached and they have like faculty advisor to make sure Jesus is doing his part then I think it could/should be approved under special circumstances. Brandon and Matt did a joint project and that was fine. As a side note these senior projects feel more and more like BS. They seem to require more and more than a kid can feasibly do. I really want to know what the requirements are. 

Callie and AJ are probably done and I'm okay with that. Callie has been emotionally cheating with Aaron for awhile now. AJ also deserves to come first in his relationship sometimes without having to blow up on his girlfriend to get it. I hope that they're done for good. 

I also hope that Ty is for real about everything. Mike will be there either way, I'm sure, but I don't think AJ needs to more disappointment in regards to his brother. 

I like seeing Stef as a detective, but I wish we could've gotten a lighter story from her. We're drowning in angst right now. The story itself is fine, but we're already so bogged down. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I really do love gung-ho Mariana. When she's not causing trouble and getting into relationship drama, she's actually a great person.

I was thinking the same thing. She is a force in a practical and driven way, and it's nice when it's used in the right direction. 

23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Too bad all I can picture is Callie getting involved accidentally. 

I don't think it will be an accident. Callie can't keep her nose out of other people's business. In the previews for next week, it looks like she will be butting into Aaron's affairs. 

I say cheers to AJ for ridding himself of Callie. She is so self destructive, and he wasn't wrong when he pointed out that if she kept dragging him into her drama, he would end up in jail with no rich daddy to save him. I know she was trying towards the end to be less self involved, but it looks like Mike providing a way for him to have all of his family together, and thinking of him, helped him realize that Callie was the unhealthiest area in his life, and he should move on. 

7 hours ago, FrumiusManxome said:

I like seeing Stef as a detective, but I wish we could've gotten a lighter story from her. We're drowning in angst right now. The story itself is fine, but we're already so bogged down. 

Agree. What a miserable foster family. Now we get more outside characters causing trouble? I see Diamond ending up being fostered by Stef and Lena. Somehow they barely have work, have an insane amount of medical bills, had to divorce to save their house, but they will still be able to take on another teenager. I don't see Diamond being a character that just comes and goes.

• Love 2

I think its for the best that AJ broke up with Callie. The two of them have been in a bad place for awhile, and they are both into other people, so it seems like this makes sense. Still, it makes me sad. They were a cute couple at first, I think AJ could understand Callie, but maybe they will eventually find their way back to each other. With AJ still sticking with Mike, they'll still see each other. I'm sure Callie will run off to Aaron now. I guess he is the new flavor of the week in Callies life. I did like that she got more time with her family this week. More of that please!

Good episode for Jesus and Mariana. It was nice that we got more of their sibling bonding, and Mariana, when she isn't obsessed with boy stuff or drugs or some crap, is clearly a really caring person. They were cute, and Jesus just breaks my heart. My poor baby needs more hugs.

Diamonds story is really sad, and certainly not close to over. Looks like she is trying to recruit that other GU girl, which is going to lead to more trouble. I think she will stick around for a little while, but I don't think she will end up getting fully absorbed into the giant Adams-Foster clan. They have too many messed up kids already!

New principle guy is all kinds of shady. He actually made me feel a little bad for (also shady) Monty! Lena just needs to take over that whole school, they'll all be better off.

8 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

I don't think it will be an accident. Callie can't keep her nose out of other people's business. In the previews for next week, it looks like she will be butting into Aaron's affairs. 

I say cheers to AJ for ridding himself of Callie. She is so self destructive, and he wasn't wrong when he pointed out that if she kept dragging him into her drama, he would end up in jail with no rich daddy to save him. I know she was trying towards the end to be less self involved, but it looks like Mike providing a way for him to have all of his family together, and thinking of him, helped him realize that Callie was the unhealthiest area in his life, and he should move on. 

True; she seems to like trying to save people, even though the only person she needs to be saving right now is herself. Look at poor AJ; Callie and him crossed paths when AJ was at one of his lowest points. Callie helped him find a stable home, was there for him while he dug himself out, and once he was "saved" so to speak, Callie found a new project in Kyle. And now that she can't help Kyle, she seems to be moving on to Aaron. 

As much as I do think Diamond could become a very interesting character, her issues are the last thing this show needs right now. With this season completely messing up everyone's lives, the last thing we need is another depressing and dramatic storyline. I think they should have saved it for next season. So, as of right now, I don't quite have an interest. Honestly, I might have more interest if Callie was not attached to the storyline in any way, shape, or form. 

• Love 1

What are the odds that Callie's phone having made a call to a pimp is going to end up biting her in the ass at her trial?

It feels like Monty should have already been fired, so, for now, I'm not particularly upset with new guy for ratting her out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

What are the odds that Callie's phone having made a call to a pimp is going to end up biting her in the ass at her trial?

Sigh. i hadn't thought of that, but it sounds very likely. 

• Love 1

The senior projects seem to be equivalent to Boy Scout Eagle or Girl Scout gold awards-major undertakings coordinated by the scout/student that will make a lasting impact/change. IOW, a big deal, but not something out of the realm of possibility for teens-although I suspect Anchor Beach sees a lot of transfers out for senior year, because that's a hard enough year with college applications, etc. Most scouts I know try to have their Eagle/Gold projects done before senior year for that reason (and so they can put it on the college/scholarship applications as awarded).

I have this feeling that Diamond is going to be  the next big project. 

20 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

True; she seems to like trying to save people, even though the only person she needs to be saving right now is herself. Look at poor AJ; Callie and him crossed paths when AJ was at one of his lowest points. Callie helped him find a stable home, was there for him while he dug himself out, and once he was "saved" so to speak, Callie found a new project in Kyle. And now that she can't help Kyle, she seems to be moving on to Aaron. 

You completely summarized Callie right here.

Callie is only interested in what cries the loudest. As soon as someone is healthy and happy Callie is no longer as interested because they are 'healthy and happy' and thus, do not need her help any more. 

AJ got the shaft and was expected to just take it because in Callie's mind he's got 'everything' and thus does not need any attention.

She basically places a hierarchy on suffering and ignores what's not high enough on her list regardless of how much she may care about the person who is suffering. 

• Love 3

Well i seem to be the only one who was rooting for AJ and Callie. As much as i cant stand her i wanted them to work things out. When we saw him kiss the girl and he told callie he liked her it hurt my feelings. Kind of reminded me of all the times i was rejected by a boy for another girl. So maybe im associating their relationship with my own experiences or something. But i really like AJ and it will be hard to see him move on but i hope he stays on the show. Smh i never thought a show would hurt my feelings. 

Im really annoyed that they make Callie (and Brandon) hop from one person to the next. Can either of them get a mourning period? Sheesh 

Mariana and Jude are now at the top of my shit list, replacing Callie in the top 3.