Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Episode 2

While Luis finds himself sinking further into servitude on the farm, Isaac tries to protect Coy from abusive conditions in the fields. Meanwhile, Jeanette begins to wonder if her family is down-playing a trailer fire, which killed a number of their undocumented workers. Kimara tries to transition Shae from being an underage victimized prostitute to sustaining herself as she tries to convince Shae to testify against her former pimp.

Yeah the scene with Kimara and her ex(?) discussing her fertility issues seemed weirdly out of place with regards to all of the other storylines. And she's ultimately going to adopt Shae's baby right?

I wonder if Luis' son was one of those killed in the trailer fire.

Edited by surfer
  • Love 1

While Season 3 is still riveting, and still a quality production with a quality cast, it just isn't grabbing me like the first 2 seasons.  I'll keep watching, because of the cast and production, and I do care about undocumented immigrants and girls being forced into prostitution, but . . . meh.

• Love 3

For me, things moved kind of fast.  This is only the second episode and we found out:

1. The real reason Luis entered the country illegally and went to work in the abusive conditions of the farms in NC
  2. That Luis speaks English and not a broken kind of English.
  3. Isaac is apparently showing some favoritism toward Coy prompting the questions: is it because this is his first time acting as captain and he is inexperienced? is it because he's actually trying to change the system from within and wants to treat workers better than he himself was treated when he was a picker? is it because he feels attracted to Coy and is wrestling with his sexuality coming from a culture where being gay is extremely difficult?
  4. Shae is pregnant and did decide to go ahead and testify against her pimp
  5. Kimara is so jaded by her social work she doesn't have the strength to fight anymore (the boat with 100 people simile).  Had Shae decided to go back to her pimp, I get the feeling she would have felt disappointed but wouldn't push the issue any further; she wouldn't pull a L&O:SVU stunt and follow Shae around trying to convince her at every opportunity or thrown her in juvie, so she couldn't go back to her pimp.  At the same time, Kimara is so desperate to find meaning in her life, that she's willing to ask her ex for a sperm donation and put herself through another round of IVF.
  6. Jeanette is not going to slowly uncover the dirty family secret over the course of four or five episodes.  She's going to be hit by it as if it were a runaway freight train and her foot was caught in the tracks.  This seems to indicate that her storyline might be more focused on how she decides to deal with this moral contradiction.  I can already hear her husband telling her that she didn't mind the workers' conditions when she was buying that expensive dining room table.

Maybe the nature of the crimes this season is not as suspenseful as murder, rape and a school shooting, but I find them just as engrossing.  I'm personally of the opinion that the world is fucked up because too many of us are sorely lacking in values and ethics, we all contribute our own little (or big) load to the pile.  I mean, how many times have you gone to the supermarket and picked the cheaper fruit?  Off course, there are other issues that affect that decision; for many people the more expensive option is simply out of the question because their income would not allow it, but buying the cheaper product does mean one is contributing to this horrible situation.

In any case, I think values and ethics and a good look at what it means to be ethical, the small choices we make, and all of the issues surrounding those discussions are quite fascinating and very relevant.  

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 16

I liked learning more about Luis and his reasons for coming into the US. I'm hoping against hope that wasn't his son we saw floating in the river in episode 1. I too am curious to see what Jeanette does with her newfound knowledge of how the workers are treated and how they live.

Regina King and Sandra Oh sharing a scene? This show is a just a real treat in terms of casting. 

• Love 4

I don't know if this has been posited elsewhere, but I have a kind of grand unifying theory of American Crime seasons - it's not something I believe is "real" or yet to be revealed or something, but more of a thought experiment. What if the different seasons are representative of parallel universes, where the same souls (the recurring characters) are struggling with the same basic moral/ethical quandaries, just in an infinite number of possible life trajectories? Richard Cabral's characters got me thinking about it first - when Season 2 rolled along, I thought, "oh, that's a sweet little bit of irony, that Hector finally got his 'job in technology', albeit through another storyline." Then I started noticing all these other similarities between the two characters (that I think you could extend to this season's Isaac, probably) - the desire to be something bigger and grander than what life has dealt you, the way those dreams (or delusions of grandeur) can actually lead to your downfall, etc. Then I started thinking about how that would apply to other characters, and while I don't have it all mapped out or anything, I think it's an interesting lens to apply to the seasons - how are Felicity Huffman's, or Timothy Hutton's, or Regina King's characters in each season united by similar struggles, etc?

P.S. Lovvvvving the podcast, Quinn and Joe!

Edited by itainttippithebird
  • Love 1

Regina King and Sandra Oh sharing a scene? This show is a just a real treat in terms of casting. 

It is so good to see Sandra Oh on my screen again and those scenes between her and Regina King are icing on the cake. 

I thought, "oh, that's a sweet little bit of irony, that Hector finally got his 'job in technology', albeit through another storyline." Then I started noticing all these other similarities between the two characters (that I think you could extend to this season's Isaac, probably)

Then I started thinking about how that would apply to other characters, and while I don't have it all mapped out or anything, I think it's an interesting lens to apply to the seasons - how are Felicity Huffman's, or Timothy Hutton's, or Regina King's characters in each season united by similar struggles, etc?

Do you mean, what recurring themes are running through each of the different characters' story lines/character traits from season to season?  Or, can we find some kind of connection between the different characters they play from season to season? So in other words, what does Kamara have in common with the character that Regina King played in season two and then in season one? Same with Felicity Huffman and the rest of the main characters...what does the character she's playing this season have in common with the characters she played in season two and and season one?

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

Loved the scene where Luis revealed to the supervisor guy that he spoke perfect English, and then told him to take his bullshit and shove it. Now we know what his deal is, glad it didn't take to long to figure out. I hope his son isn't the body they found in the beginning. I kind of wonder if his son ended up falling into prostitution and sex trafficking, pulling the two plot lines together.

Regina King talking to her friend/possible ex about having a baby with him was kind of awkward. I guess there's no non awkward way to ask someone to be their baby daddy, but that was REALLY awkward, especially when he was like "I assume you want me to tell my wife, right?" it was weird. I'm more interested in her attempting to deal with feelings of burn out than her pregnancy struggles.

Its still weird to see Felicity Huffman here actually being a likable character on this show. In fact, her mother in law reminded a bit of her character from last year. She had that smile that said "I'm just going to keep smiling until this rape/death just goes away" very smugly. I do like her though. Her accent is pretty decent too, which is nice.

I wonder what the deal with Isaac and Coy is. Maybe Isaac used to be a drug addict, or had a friend or relative who ODed, and he is trying to help Coy now? Or maybe he has a thing for him and is struggling with his sexuality? I was kind of suspicious of him last week, but he doesn't seem like an shady guy this week, so we will see where this goes.

• Love 3

Or, can we find some kind of connection between the different characters they play from season to season?

This one. I don't think we can say much yet with only two episodes, but I think Felicity Huffman stretches this theory the thinnest, given her major departure in character/moral dilemma in season 3 compared to 1 and 2. I guess it remains to be seen if the experiment works for all of them!

Timothy Hutton from S1 and S2 is another interesting example: in both narratives, his major arc has to do with fatherhood (or more symbolically, being a father figure/role model of what it means to be a man) and in both, his major moral quandary orbits around the question of what does it mean to do the right thing - to stick it out, no matter what, or to change course while there's still time?

In the second season, S1 "Russ" gets a chance to turn back the clock and correct his mistakes as a father/role model, but as S2 "Coach Dan" - who is able to be there for his children (biological child and his team) and doesn't cut and run. But does he end up in a better or more resolved place? No, because whereas Russ ran too fast (then stuck it out too long vis-a-vis the house/the case - Russ's timing is generally terrible), Dan gets the timing right in terms of standing behind his kids in the delicate moment of adolescence - yet that alone is not enough, because in this lifetime he actually fails his daughter and his team by being TOO concerned with loyalty & support and not enough with character. As a result, he has a sociopath for a daughter (only being slightly hyperbolic here, ha) and a team full of young men who have deeply fucked up ideas about sex/sexuality/gender/consent. Will Season 3 Tim Hutton repeat the patterns? Time will tell!

(Obviously, this is a subjective interpretation of the characters and their downfalls, but it works with the theory.)

Edited by itainttippithebird

Help me out peeps.

Is Laurie Ann the mother in law or sister in law of Jeanette (Felicity Huffman)?

I thought it was MIL during episode one but both her husband and his brother repeatedly refer to her by her given name, "Laurie Ann", and not "Mom" or "Momma" or "Mother" in this episode.

Either way, I have a feeling Ole Laurie Ann is going to be behind something spectacularly despicable during the course of this season.  Her tight little "those people have our prayers" really gave me the cold chills. Yeah, bitch, give them those prayers but don't be bothered with, ya know, actual fucking help.

Her brothers (or sons, whichever) seem to be truly bothered by the fire - JD more than Carson - but seem to feel like there's nothing that can be done about how their tomatoes get from the ground to the consumer.

Yep.  It's weird not hating Felicity Huffman's character on this show.

I also have a feeling that Shae and Coy both are not going to get any kind of happy ending and I fully anticipate crying over their fates by the finale.

And I'll third the glee at seeing Regina King and Sandra Oh sharing a scene.  More of those two awesome ladies, show.

• Love 3

Bama: Cherry Jones is two years younger than Tim McKay, so I was kind of bewildered when another recap (Vulture, I think?) called Laurie Ann his mother! But also in the very first scenes, she talks about "Daddy" and his health with her brothers - the siblings, led by Laurie Ann, are starting to take over Hesby on their ailing father's behalf.

While I did not finish season 2 and found season 1 to be a bit of a chore, due to the subject matter, I am in for season 3.  Even though there are many moving parts, I did appreciate Sandra Oh's character mentioning the fact that it is now a "heroin crisis" as compared to a "crack epidemic".  I noticed this some years back but it seems to have picked up some steam in the past year or so.

The storyline that has my attention the most is the migrant workers. Nothing in particular but I like seeing this story explored.

• Love 1

Glad to see Felicity play a more sympathetic character this year. 

Those workers who died were locked in by their manager--right? And they did not put on the chicken wire to ward off thieves; it was used to keep them from running away--right? Yikes! I know that the guy who walked Jeannette around said otherwise, but he's clearly part of a cover-up.

Laurie Ann's idea that sympathy =guilt is very common in business. If seen that attitude lead people to go the lawsuit route when they were previously just looking for heartfelt sympathy or an apology. 

When Kimara went to her ex's house, his son called her auntie.  For a while I thought she was asking her sister's husband for his sperm. Double yikes!

• Love 3
On 3/24/2017 at 11:59 PM, nara said:

Those workers who died were locked in by their manager--right? And they did not put on the chicken wire to ward off thieves; it was used to keep them from running away--right? Yikes! I know that the guy who walked Jeannette around said otherwise, but he's clearly part of a cover-up.

Yeah, that was such a blatant lie that I was surprised Felicity's character bought it, but, then, she was probably still processing the horror. At the same time, I was comparing the conditions to the place they were consigning the girl to earlier. Dramatically better by comparison, but still a "prison" in a way.

I sort of wish if they had to use a white POV for a picker, they had gone with someone not as frail/pretty as Jessup. I see the point that is being made, but an equally plausible argument visually is that black/brown people are "made" for work that white people cannot cope with, and therefore we need to import an almost slave population to do what weak whites cannot be expected to handle. IMO, it's the wrong way to get the point across. (I know Jessup's character's weakness is tied to the drug storyline, but it's the visuals that are annoying.)

On 3/24/2017 at 11:59 PM, nara said:

When Kimara went to her ex's house, his son called her auntie.  For a while I thought she was asking her sister's husband for his sperm. Double yikes!

She could do worse. Again, I sort of hate that a woman HAS to give birth for fulfillment, but, hopefully there's a storyline (like adopting a kid that needs it) that will make it worth it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I sort of wish if they had to use a white POV for a picker, they had gone with someone not as frail/pretty as Jessup. I see the point that is being made, but an equally plausible argument visually is that black/brown people are "made" for work that white people cannot cope with, and therefore we need to import an almost slave population to do what weak whites cannot be expected to handle. IMO, it's the wrong way to get the point across. (I know Jessup's character's weakness is tied to the drug storyline, but it's the visuals that are annoying.)

She could do worse. Again, I sort of hate that a woman HAS to give birth for fulfillment, but, hopefully there's a storyline (like adopting a kid that needs it) that will make it worth it.

#1) To clarify, do you mean that someone tougher than Connor, who could do the job well if he weren't addicted to drugs?  Because they would still need the drug part to create a way for him to be victimized.  A non-victimized worker (of any race or ethnicity) could at best be a minor character in this story.

#2) Yes, it could have been her brother.  ;)

4 minutes ago, nara said:

#1) To clarify, do you mean that someone tougher than Connor, who could do the job well if he weren't addicted to drugs?  Because they would still need the drug part to create a way for him to be victimized.  A non-victimized worker (of any race or ethnicity) could at best be a minor character in this story.

#2) Yes, it could have been her brother.  ;)

#1) Yes. That's why I acknowledged the addict part. I don't mind the storyline. People are welcome to tell the story they wish to tell, and even to cast whomever. I was just noting that the visuals irked me (and me alone quite possibly) because they feed a nasty stereotype.

#2) I was just observing how fine he is. In my defense he was the only reason I used to stop and check out General Hospital when surfing.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2017 at 7:39 AM, NorthstarATL said:

I think you make a good point. It also fits the tendency of American entertainment to equate paleness (especially blondness) with innocence and being delicate and to only cast whites in roles where the character needs to elicit a lot of sympathy or sense of protectiveness from the audience. POC don't tend to get cast in those types of roles, especially where the audience is supposed to hold the characters as not accountable for the stuff happening to them or we're supposed to find their situation shocking. I wasn't surprised at all that the teen fieldworker is blonde and the teen prostitute is blonde too. Maybe things will change later on.

• Love 1