Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Cold Season

Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) convinces Teddy (Danny Pudi) to enter what she thinks is a game-changing invention into the Wayne Innovation contest against the elitist engineers of Wayne X, even though he has his doubts. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) takes advantage of Ron's (Ron Funches) good nature and has him assemble a toy in hopes of preoccupying his new girlfriend's child.

Fun episode, even though I guess it established that this Crimson Fox isn't French (which, the last I knew, she was in the comics).  I liked the new Wayne Security logo wipe they were using, and the wall of clocks was a nice touch.  I took a better look at that, and assuming that the minute hand being slightly off on most of them had more to do with Wayne Security employees being lazy and not subtle differences in the intended times, here's what I got from them:

• Metropolis: 5:40; call this EST for simplicity
  • Gotham City: EST
  • Atlantis: 6:40, an hour later than EST and probably means it's in (under) the western Atlantic
  • Charm City: 3:40, 2 hours earlier than EST (so effectively our Mountain Time; hello Denver?)
  • Themyscira: 11:40, or EST + 6, essentially European time.
  • Love 2

Fun episode.  I did like that they addressed that Emily was pushing Teddy for selfish reasons (because the Wayne X guys were giving her shit and calling her a nobody), even if I think overall it is a good thing for Teddy to put himself out there.  For a second, I thought he was going to use his gloves to burn Wayne X's robot, but using them to help Crimson Fox instead was a nice way to wrap it all up.

Ron having to deal with Van was hilarious.  The idea that there are actually toy invisible jets is so goofy, but it amused me.

The running gag of everyone freaking out about a depressed Teddy going to Tampa Bay was just another incident of Florida being the punching bag of comedies this season.  Off the top of my head, there was Brooklyn Nine-Nine giving the state shit during its two episode premiere set there, and The Good Place claiming that being from Florida alone automatically sends you to "the Bad Place."  It's either Florida or Texas!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

and The Good Place claiming that being from Florida alone automatically sends you to "the Bad Place."  It's either Florida or Texas!

I was thinking of The Good Place when I heard the Tampa line. Specifically, Jason saying that Jacksonville was "in the top ten of swamp cities in NE Florida."

Seriously, did every sitcom writer on TV go to some big conference in Florida, get food poisoning, and come away with a burning hatred of all things Florida? What's the deal?

I liked all the stuff about the cold themed villains and everyone dressing for it, and how Teddy's gloves ended up saving the day. I hope he gets some credit. I was glad to see more character backstory/development for the characters. It makes them more interesting, and the stories better.

Fun episode.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Seriously, did every sitcom writer on TV go to some big conference in Florida, get food poisoning, and come away with a burning hatred of all things Florida? What's the deal?

Lawyer's pants catch on fire while arguing an arson case. Miami-Dade
"Machine Gun America has the best selection of guns, activities and awesome group deals in the area."  Orlando

Any other questions?

• Love 1

Watched it tonight. Kinda like how Crimson Fox's mask/hood vaguely resembles the original. It's smaller than canon (seen here), but I think it was tweaked from the pilot. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

I like the idea of periods of intense cold created by supervillains. I think Young Justice started off with attacks from Mr. Freeze, Icicle, Captain Cold and Killer Frost. Felt bad for Ron, who just wanted to get on his "talking" sled.

How old do you think Van's girlfriend's daughter is? She seems old enough to know that he's an asshole that wants to bang her mom, but she likes riding around in a mini-Invisible Jet.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Watched it tonight. Kinda like how Crimson Fox's mask/hood vaguely resembles the original. It's smaller than canon (seen here), but I think it was tweaked from the pilot. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

I like the idea of periods of intense cold created by supervillains. I think Young Justice started off with attacks from Mr. Freeze, Icicle, Captain Cold and Killer Frost. Felt bad for Ron, who just wanted to get on his "talking" sled.

How old do you think Van's girlfriend's daughter is? She seems old enough to know that he's an asshole that wants to bang her mom, but she likes riding around in a mini-Invisible Jet.

I'd say she's about ten or eleven.  Van seems to be in his early-to-mid 40s, and I have a feeling that he'd be into dating women who were at least ten years younger, so his girlfriend is probably somewhere between 30 and 35, which would easily make her the mother of a ten-or eleven-year-old daughter.

Edited by legaleagle53

This was a pleasantly low-key episode.  Not much Van, or Jackie or Wendy for that matter apart from Jackie's ominously-voiced flashback (which probably was the highlight of the show, considering her status as a sort of cynical baseline normality), a little superpowered mayhem in the background, poor Ron's sled, and a little The Good Place-ish (Tamila, albeit somewhat inverted) character development for Teddy.  Not to mention the fact that androids exist in this universe now, which probably opens the door for the thing I'm really waiting for: Evil Twins.  (Barring parallel universes, which is probably another thing this show will likely address if it gets that far.)

Flip side, Van getting involved with a woman whose daughter is apparently an entitled princess in her own right makes utterly perfect sense for him.  The only way it would have been more appropriate is if we'd seen the girlfriend and it was one of the actual Real Housewives of Wherever.

As for the bagging on Florida...

11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Lawyer's pants catch on fire while arguing an arson case. Miami-Dade

Yeeeeaaaaah, I'mma let it slide.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I think she;s a tween -- that seems to be when they develop "squads" (what we called "cliques" in my day).   If she'13 and she was born when her mom was 20, that would make Mom 33, which fits with legaleagle53's age bracket.

• Love 1

I thought this was a weaker episode. It seemed to just establish things for future episodes. Like, Teddy has a really attractive space doctor brother. And Crimson Fox is probably our main (onscreen at least) hero. I hope they're building to something with her. 

I did like one or two of the invisible jet jokes. Never gets old.

I'm not sure how I feel about the other nerds... I never caught what division they were in. It struck me as an "I don't know who this is for" kind of a move. I know they ascribed it to reddit but I think the culture has mostly moved on from "negging." So is this for people who are still a couple of years behind internet culture? Or it is a lazy way of saying they think their audience is comprised of "good nerds"? Or is it the Big Bang Theory thing where you insult the audience you're trying to pitch to? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the other nerds... I never caught what division they were in.

They were in "Wayne X".  So maybe a SpaceX vs NASA thing?  Their t-shirts weren't very trendy (the power switch logo is several years old, and I think the cat one was too [it certainly wasn't one of the very current ones]).  They certainly seemed like 4-chan or bad-reddit (things like the AMAs are part of good-reddit) kind of guys, and not sympathetic in the least.  So, maybe, like you suggest, a "these are the good nerds" or "lovable losers" (always a popular trope) kind of thing...

Jackie: "I'm afraid were going to get a call about Teddy from the Busch Gardens coroners office."

My husband (who used to work at Busch Gardens when he was in college): "Ooh, that brings back unpleasant memories."

Me: "I didn't know Busch Gardens had its own coroners office."

Husband: "Yeah, people were dropping dead all the time -- of embarrassment." 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I thought for a second that Jackie was the Crimson Fox. The soft talking, slightly abrasive office personality would have been a good cover. But IMDB says its a different actor.

Also different build.  The Crimson Fox is more muscular.

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I thought for a second that Jackie was the Crimson Fox. The soft talking, slightly abrasive office personality would have been a good cover. But IMDB says its a different actor.

I thought so too, but I think they were in the same scene in an earlier (maybe the first?) episode....

Teddy's brother was smokin'. Can we get lots of him please? I saw Emily oogling him so maybe Teddy will find out they are dating in an upcoming episode and freak out.

Ron's smackdown was amazing, but then he had to make the treehouse for Van.

"The term is Space Doctor."  - hee!

There are actually a LOT of cold-based villains in comics.

I wish they actually had a competition instead of everything happening offscreen. I hope those heat gloves become a Wayne Security product.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:24 AM, MarkHB said:

• Metropolis: 5:40; call this EST for simplicity
  • Gotham City: EST
  • Atlantis: 6:40, an hour later than EST and probably means it's in (under) the western Atlantic
  • Charm City: 3:40, 2 hours earlier than EST (so effectively our Mountain Time; hello Denver?)
  • Themyscira: 11:40, or EST + 6, essentially European time.

Gonna quote this in the References thread.

• Love 1