Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Good Intentions

thewhiteowl

(edited)

Great episode. Yeah, Bram is home! Snyder is an interesting character. He is lucky his boss saved him and Bram was lucky that Snyder saved him. He clearly has affection for Will and his family. He wants to survive long enough for things to get better, but the things that he has done collaborating are unforgivable. Now Bram is guilty of collaborating also, but at least no one knows other than Snyder and the other collaborators. His reunion with his mother and Charlie was poignant.

Go Charlie! His survival skills kicking in. I love how he grabbed Gracie and saved them both until his parents came to rescue them both. Good riddance, Lindsey, you won't be missed.

The resistance woman was brave knocking out the traitor to save Broussard. I now think that William Russ' character has got to be involved with the Red Hand. It is too coincidental that they went after Will after the young man was captured. With that young guy in custody, they are all in danger because it is only a matter of time before he breaks. However, if Will and Katie were killed, the Red Hand and Resistance would be safe. 

Karen's mother conned the hell out of Will. I loved his reaction when he realized that he had been suckered.

Based on the preview, the end is near for the Bowmans' charade. They will have to run or end up in the factory.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

Ah, too bad, Lindsey.  Here's a science question for you.  How many pints of blood does the human body hold?

It seems to me that, with the information the Resistance now has, the most effective ploy they would have is to publish as much as they can, and get the word out that the aliens plan to depopulate LA, and probably the rest of the earth.  That would do more to gain favor with everyone than all the violence they can muster, and maybe even create the proper atmosphere of mistrust in the collaborator apparatus to weaken the aliens' hold on the population.   And Snyder?  You're waiting for better days to come?  If you want an idea of what will happen to collaborators if the aliens were to leave, just look at your history books.  These are your better days, bub.  And that would go for all the security apparatus, too.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Now I think about it maybe Karen's mother sent the Red Hand after Will to avenge her daughter's death. 

That's what I think too. Even if Will and Katie get snuffed, the resistance groups are still in danger if that captured guy talks.

Good riddance, Lindsay. Your death made this day the Greatest Day.

Snyder is one of the most interesting guardian angels I've seen. 

But the big question: WHERE IS THE DOG!? The Bowmans relocated and no pup in sight. 

• Love 12
(edited)

Hell hath no fury like a vengeful parent. I assume Frankie's mom sent the hit squad. She met Will and he admitted he was partially responsible for her daughter's death. It looked like they were going after the whole family, not just Will. (who isn't that great at his job lately, getting suckered like that)

Oh Bram. The boy isn't the brightest bulb, is he? Snyder was very clear about what was going to happen once Bram gave him the names. The boy hasn't a quarter of the survival skills and wit of his little brother. Granted, Charlie developed them in a brutal fashion, but you'd think pretty much anyone in the bloc would have more street smarts than Bram seems to have.

Speaking of street smarts. Katie. So the red hats are searching the building and her plan is to lock the door AND put the chain in place and hide (poorly) in the closet?  She couldn't have made it more obvious someone was still in that room if she'd put up an "occupied" sign. Still, the Red Hats were more stupid than she was, so she survived.

Amazing how satisfying it was to see Lindsey shot. For that matter, I didn't mind whiny Brit boy getting done in.

I had a stray thought. Given that this show is all about personal connections, I wondered if Will's partner is/was Lindsey's father. No supporting evidence, just throwing it out there.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Will. (who isn't that great at his job lately, getting suckered like that)

It's like the Simpsons when they really dumbed down Homer and it didn't work.  They've dumbed down Will and it's not working.  He was better in season one.  When he found Frankie's mother in the house he should have busted her immediately.  How could she have known Frankie was there if she didn't have contact with the Red Hand?  Duh.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

I'm very interested to see what Bram and Charlie will be doing, now that they are together.  They both have some Post and Present Trauma to deal with.  And they both loathe the aliens who've taken over. 

• Love 1
On 3/3/2017 at 7:00 AM, GreyBunny said:

But the big question: WHERE IS THE DOG!? The Bowmans relocated and no pup in sight.

Thank you! I kept asking the same question. He wasn't in the house when the Red Hand came in, he wasn't with will and Katie. And he wasn't with them when they got to the new apartment. He's kind of hard to miss. So where is he?

• Love 2
On 3/3/2017 at 5:16 PM, GreyBunny said:

It's like the Simpsons when they really dumbed down Homer and it didn't work.  They've dumbed down Will and it's not working.  He was better in season one.  When he found Frankie's mother in the house he should have busted her immediately.  How could she have known Frankie was there if she didn't have contact with the Red Hand?  Duh.

Yes the show depends on Will being exceptional at his job. I'm not sure why they would want to dumb him down. We know he's important after the drones on the wall didn't kill him.

• Love 1

*Another* fantastic ep.  The long take directing of the attack on the Bowmans' house - are you kidding me??  I signed on for a show about aliens and instead got a gripping psychological thriller that has, for two episodes in a row now, gone all "Children of Men" on us with the directing style of action scenes.  AWESOME. 

I give Will the benefit of the doubt as his character must have missed ten or so seasons of ER, so he didn't realize, as we all did, that Laura Innes would likely not be hired for one short scene.  More to the point, I love how this show averts and subverts tropes almost constantly.  Will sits down and starts to talk to Laura Innes about missing his own son, but whereas on, say, Criminal Minds or something like it, that would instantly result in a deep bond between law enforcement type and grieving victim, she cuts him off and lets him go nowhere with the story.  (Until throwing it back at him a moment later, showing that she was listening.)  Similarly, Will showed no reaction during the kid's interrogation by Bennett with Burke watching him like a hawk, either when Bennett asked how the kid got out of the safe house or when the young dude revealed that Mom O' Frankie was the cell leader.  I feel like a lesser show would have had him tense up visibly or exchange meaningful, hostile glances with Burke.  Another subtly handled bit was the payoff of the Dutch-Speaking Evildoers picking up Simon's poor mom in England; apparently Simon had a whole phone conversation with them during which they mentioned that they wanted the Gauntlet of Radioactive Doom and Broussard as a bonus.  However, the audience saw and heard none of the call, which was really unexpected and effective.  Also, Thora Birch seems like a nice gal and all, but the new actress playing Morgan is a far better fit.  Broussard sure is losing cell members fast.     

Things I didn't get department: Katie putting the chain on the door.  The doggie's vanishing act, but in that department, this isn't his first rodeo.  And why were there three proxies in the meeting with Helena when last season, Snyder seemed to have no equals?  What exactly is she "governor general" of?  Cool character, though, and fun to see Ally Walker on TV again. 

I think Laura Innes sent the Red Handers to Chez Bowman.  But Will never identified himself to her by name, so I wonder if he's just really well-known (not impossible) or Hennessey sold Broussard and Will/Katie out to the Red Hand.  He was acting very sketchy.    

MVP of the episode goes to Charlie for getting Gracie to safety on the roof, ready to rumble with a knife no less.  Smart kid.  Sorry, Lindsey.  Not such a great day after all.  

Still no evidence of aliens.  Helena received the information on the labor camp's fate through some intermediary.  The transport ship from last week was "automated."  Hm.  And unfortunately, blowing up the camp as shown is well within the capability of human governments now.

So not only Snyder, but also Helena have retained their humanity and have "good intentions."  In fact, the most palpably evil force on the show right now is not the collaborators, but the Red Hand.  Fascinating stuff.      

• Love 3
(edited)

I wish the show had started season 1 with the first episode of season 2 and really grabbed everyone's attention. Remember the buzz of The Dome before it started? I think they got too cute by making the invasion a mystery when they should have been locking in viewers. 

Even a few flashbacks at the beginning instead of mysteries would have turned this show into a blockbuster.

Now the show is really good but it's not building an audience.

i think Charlie will be the hero of the show by the end of the day if the show isn't cancelled.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2017 at 9:12 AM, Clanstarling said:

Hell hath no fury like a vengeful parent. I assume Frankie's mom sent the hit squad. She met Will and he admitted he was partially responsible for her daughter's death. It looked like they were going after the whole family, not just Will. (who isn't that great at his job lately, getting suckered like that)

Amazing how satisfying it was to see Lindsey shot. For that matter, I didn't mind whiny Brit boy getting done in.

I had a stray thought. Given that this show is all about personal connections, I wondered if Will's partner is/was Lindsey's father. No supporting evidence, just throwing it out there.

Yeah, the hit squad headed right for the bedrooms - it wasn't clear to me if they saw Charlie and Gracie running - after slaughtering Lindsey on sight.  They were there to kill everyone including two little kids.  That's why this season, I think, is so much better and more intense than last (which was already very good); the morality has become much more murky.  Broussard killed Redhats, Phyllis and on request, her husband as well, but AFAIK he viewed himself as a soldier taking down enemy combatants, and wasn't indiscriminately bombing civilians or sending death squads after young children.  

Simon was annoying me too.  What did Broussard do to him?  And on rewatch, after Morgan hit him in the head he recovered and lunged for *her*, not Broussard, who promptly grabbed and stabbed him.  So Simon's tactics were also weak.

Interesting thought about Burke.  We have no idea where he or Bennett came from.  

• Love 2