Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons: The Classic Show - What Did Jai Do Again?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I've been binging the original series. They were absolutely hysterical, every single one. Kyan was so, so dreamy. Probably my favorite episode was Brian/Butch, the long-haired artist. The best part of each episode was the initial walk-through of the people's homes, because the Fab 5 had all these great one-liners, like: "You know, I was always the last kid picked in dodgeball. They were like, “Um, okay we’ll take Sharon. Now we’ll take the girl in the iron lung and… you guys get Carson.” And it wasn't even just Carson. All of them were funny in their own way. The casting director deserves a Lifetime Achievement Award for finding them.

I always felt bad for Jai, because he had the least-defined role, but he seemed to fight to make himself as relevant as he could in each episode. I always loved when he took one of the guys for dance lessons, because he was in his element and genuinely assisting in the makeovers.

• Love 6

I don't remember the guy's name, but one of the first episodes was of a strikingly handsome guy who was looking to clean up and propose to his girlfriend.  When they were sitting around watching the outcome and she said yes, they all started jumping up and down and crying.

Maybe it's just because world affairs have me so depressed right now, but after being skeptical of the need for the show to be revived, I'm now glad it was, just because we needed something positive out in the world.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, starri said:

I don't remember the guy's name, but one of the first episodes was of a strikingly handsome guy who was looking to clean up and propose to his girlfriend.  When they were sitting around watching the outcome and she said yes, they all started jumping up and down and crying.

Maybe it's just because world affairs have me so depressed right now, but after being skeptical of the need for the show to be revived, I'm now glad it was, just because we needed something positive out in the world.

John Bargeman! I was just watching that episode. Looking back, it seemed clear that the woman wasn't as into him as he was to her. She took an oddly long time to respond to the proposal, and kind of brushed right past his newly made self to see the apartment first.

I loved how insanely tiny all the New York apartments were. One thing I like about this new iteration is that the homes are actually bigger than a breadbox.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, starri said:

I don't remember the guy's name, but one of the first episodes was of a strikingly handsome guy who was looking to clean up and propose to his girlfriend.

That's one of the few OG episodes I remember, along with the Greek guy who protected his mom from a mugger and ended up getting stabbed, which I think was also in the first season.

While these new episodes have made me cry way more than the original ones, the one that has made me cry the most was the OG episode that had a soldier as the episode's straight guy and he and his fiancee (who also had a newborn IIRC) were planning a wedding super quickly - like in one week - because he was getting shipped off to Iraq. The original show seems very much of the Bush era and this reboot feels very much of the Trump era.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2018 at 12:44 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

The casting director deserves a Lifetime Achievement Award for finding them.

So true. It was catching lightning in a bottle--every single one of the Fab Five filled a niche and their chemistry together was wonderful. I loved them all.

• Love 6

I just rewatched the first four episodes of the original QE, and it's just as good as I remember. The flip phone intro is more delightful now than ever. I said in another thread that I miss Carson's wit on the new show, but it's actually all of them. They were so funny together, and they played off each other in a way that's impossible to recapture.

• Love 3
On 2/23/2018 at 9:50 AM, Sesquipedalia said:

I just rewatched the first four episodes of the original QE, and it's just as good as I remember. The flip phone intro is more delightful now than ever. I said in another thread that I miss Carson's wit on the new show, but it's actually all of them. They were so funny together, and they played off each other in a way that's impossible to recapture.

I rewatch episodes of the original QE quite often. I love Carson Kressely and Tom Felicia. I think those 2 had the most challenging jobs...fashion and interior design. I love Tom Felicias decorating and Carson was so much fun to watch on his clothes shopping adventures with the straight guys.  

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 3

What I loved the most about the Fab Five, besides their hilarious comments and zingers, was heir inherent kindness and spirit of generosity.  They seemed to genuinely care about their straight guy and the ways they could improve his life without changing the essence of who he was.

Thom Felicia's transformations were truly inspired.  I loved everything he did, and marveled at his eye for design.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

What I loved the most about the Fab Five, besides their hilarious comments and zingers, was heir inherent kindness and spirit of generosity.  They seemed to genuinely care about their straight guy and the ways they could improve his life without changing the essence of who he was.

Thom Felicia's transformations were truly inspired.  I loved everything he did, and marveled at his eye for design.

Thom Felicia is my absolute favorite interior designer. With so little time to re-do a home and make it a spot on reflection of what the "client" needed, wanted and aspired to be.....damn he's good!

• Love 2
On 4/15/2018 at 5:39 PM, chenoa333 said:

Thom Felicia is my absolute favorite interior designer. With so little time to re-do a home and make it a spot on reflection of what the "client" needed, wanted and aspired to be.....damn he's good!

Fuck that Ilyana beyotch - I'm fairly certain Thom Felicia could fix MY life! 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Fuck that Ilyana beyotch - I'm fairly certain Thom Felicia could fix MY life! 

I know! Lol. I think he is so f'n hot! But sadly (for me) well....we know I'm the wrong sex and he's probably married anyway. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I know! Lol. I think he is so f'n hot! But sadly (for me) well....we know I'm the wrong sex and he's probably married anyway. 

He is pretty ... but I don't want him to do me, just my house (or even one of my rooms)!  ;-)

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

John Bargeman! I was just watching that episode. Looking back, it seemed clear that the woman wasn't as into him as he was to her. She took an oddly long time to respond to the proposal, and kind of brushed right past his newly made self to see the apartment first.

I loved how insanely tiny all the New York apartments were. One thing I like about this new iteration is that the homes are actually bigger than a breadbox.

Found this little tidbit about John Bargeman doing a bing search:  "

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/13296487--queer-eye-reunion

Oct 27, 2013 · "Queer Eye" Reunion. ... John Verdi, the hot Port Authority cop, ... I liked John Bargeman who lived with a woman in Jersey City. They broke up"

• Love 1
(edited)

Caught some of the original Fab Five marathon on Bravo yesterday. Reminded me why I loved the original show. It was groundbreaking when it first aired. The five cast members were so talented, witty, charming, compassionate. Carson Kressley was the break out star of the show but they each had star power in their own way. Not putting down the most recent version of the show but I was never able to get into it like the original.

Edited by Matty
  • Like 3