Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Favor, Affection, Malice, Or Ill-Will

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

When Lindsay is tipped off about a grieving father looking to avenge his daughter's death, Olinsky goes undercover as a hitman-for-hire. With Gang Intelligence lacking enough evidence to arrest the original gang-banger in question, the team works to reinvestigate the case. Ruzek comes back after finishing his undercover assignment only to have Voight knock him down to patrol duty.

6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Is Nick Weschler sticking around full time?

I'm pretty sure he was just a guest star, and I have a feeling last night was his last show.  He's not still with the cast, as far as I can tell from their social media posts.  

Last night's episode was a little bit of a letdown, but I'm looking forward to the big crossover event next week.  

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm pretty sure he was just a guest star, and I have a feeling last night was his last show.  He's not still with the cast, as far as I can tell from their social media posts.  

Last night's episode was a little bit of a letdown, but I'm looking forward to the big crossover event next week.  

Letdown how?

I always feel that Olinsky centered episodes have a depressive feel to them. I guess that is because of the character but they don't exactly give him the mst upbeat stories either.

• Love 1

Argh - Chicago PD , please learn how to correctly pronounce  the name of the  Chicago neighborhood of Hegwiesch....and don't substitute a Blue Line 'EL'  station  for one on the  Red Line

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

Argh - Chicago PD , please learn how to correctly pronounce  the name of the  Chicago neighborhood of Hegwiesch....and don't substitute a Blue Line 'EL'  station  for one on the  Red Line

Filming there, you'd think folks would familiarize city street names and such.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sheetmoss said:

Maybe the Blue Line didn't go through the neighborhood where the girl would likely have been killed and they only got filming permission for the Blue Line, not the Red Line. Apparently, filming permissions can be tricky. In a White Collar interview one of the actors once explained that they sometimes have permission to film on one side of the street but they don't have permission to film the other side, so they have to make sure it's not in view. (It was filmed in NY)

Or the Red Line doesn't have subway stations that look like what they wanted them to look like/which were suitable for filming that scene. Or it was a mixture of both. Since there are some variables when it comes to what gets filmed where, I'm willing to give them a break in that regard. I think there are far worse/more unnecessary things which have happened on shows - worse/unnecessary because they could have been cleared up and been avoided with a quick search on Google and it just seems like they were too lazy to do that.

Edited by CheshireCat

This episode did an excellent job at playing Hide The Bump.  If I hadn't already known Marina was pregnant then I wouldn't have noticed it but, since I did, I caught the loose fitting shirts, the strategically placed folders and headshots from the cameramen.  They kept it subtle.  I look forward to her standing behind potted plants.  Anything to keep Burgess from having a kid.

Moving on, what was the point of making Ruzek work patrol if we didn't see him do anything and he gets Intelligence back by episode's end?  I keep saying this show needs beat cops and, while I think it was a better fit for Burgess than Intelligence, I would be happy to see Ruzek in that role because it's a necessary perspective that has been missing since she moved upstairs.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Moving on, what was the point of making Ruzek work patrol if we didn't see him do anything and he gets Intelligence back by episode's end?  I keep saying this show needs beat cops and, while I think it was a better fit for Burgess than Intelligence, I would be happy to see Ruzek in that role because it's a necessary perspective that has been missing since she moved upstairs.

I agree. Also, I think that Platt was more involved/better integrated into the story when they still had beat cops. I get that it's hard to come up with two stories and the beat cop stories often fell short, still, ever since they moved Burgess up to intelligence, I felt that some Platt stories were forced because they had to do something with her as there was no beat cop anymore.

Although, I loved the Platt scenes in this episode!

• Love 2

Shut the fuck up Ruzek, you weren't even out of the Police Academy before you were ushered into an elite unit of detectives.  Don't act like you have any seniority or such bullshit.

God, the character is such a smug asshole (unintentionally on part of the writers, apparently).

• Love 5
16 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Letdown how?

I always feel that Olinsky centered episodes have a depressive feel to them. I guess that is because of the character but they don't exactly give him the mst upbeat stories either.

I like the Olinsky story; I think he needs more stories actually.

But I guess I just bought in to the teasers a little too much.  They said they were opening a cold case and that they'd get stuck in the middle of a gang war.  So I think I was expecting one of their old cases, or at least a name/victim that had been mentioned before?  And there was no gang war.  There was a short shoot out, but with the hype, I was expecting more.  It's my own fault for buying in to the teasers!

I did like the episode though.  I like how they all have some interesting twists and they aren't all immediately obvious whodunnit.  

12 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I didn't understand that either.  He should have remained in patrol for several episodes.  He wouldn't even know what to do! Also, I liked Kenny.

6 hours ago, Mars477 said:

Shut the fuck up Ruzek, you weren't even out of the Police Academy before you were ushered into an elite unit of detectives.  Don't act like you have any seniority or such bullshit.

God, the character is such a smug asshole (unintentionally on part of the writers, apparently).

That's unintentional?  Yikes.  I totally agree.  I hear people think Halstead is a tool, but Ruzek is definitely a tool in my opinion.  If Halstead is smug in any way, it's because he can back it up by being smart and a good cop.  Ruzek?  Not as much.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I didn't understand that either.  He should have remained in patrol for several episodes.  He wouldn't even know what to do! Also, I liked Kenny.

That's unintentional?  Yikes.  I totally agree.  I hear people think Halstead is a tool, but Ruzek is definitely a tool in my opinion.  If Halstead is smug in any way, it's because he can back it up by being smart and a good cop.  Ruzek?  Not as much.

I liked Kenny too.  I prefer him greatly to Ruzek.  He seems like a nice guy (even with people treating him like shit) and not some cocky dude getting too big for his britches.

No idea why someone would think Halstead is a tool.  He doesn't display very many tool like qualities.  And yes, he actually made his bones as a cop instead of having a plum position gifted to him and then whining about it no longer being there when he left it.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Mars477 said:

No idea why someone would think Halstead is a tool.  He doesn't display very many tool like qualities.  And yes, he actually made his bones as a cop instead of having a plum position gifted to him and then whining about it no longer being there when he left it.

I don't have any idea either, but seemed to be an opinion of a few fans over on the IMDb message boards.  Halstead also has the intense military experience.  I'll be honest, I just started watching this show (now all caught up because I binged watched the previous seasons' DVDs) because I saw the crossover episode with Severide's car accident and fell in love with Halstead/Linstead.  Now that I've seen all seasons, Antonio is my other favorite character; I'll miss him on PD.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:04 AM, Mars477 said:

I would like to see Sergeant Voight send him away again because he thought he had the open job due to his father's influence

On ‎24‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 9:53 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I like the Olinsky story; I think he needs more stories actually.

But I guess I just bought in to the teasers a little too much.  They said they were opening a cold case and that they'd get stuck in the middle of a gang war.  So I think I was expecting one of their old cases, or at least a name/victim that had been mentioned before?  And there was no gang war.  There was a short shoot out, but with the hype, I was expecting more.  It's my own fault for buying in to the teasers!

I didn't see the teasers but what you describe does sound different from what was shown.

As far as Halstead being called a tool is concerned - I've seen it happen that someone picks up a word, only knows the broad definition of it (in that case, that it can be applied to a character that you don't like) and then they apply it to a characer they don't like without being aware of what it truly means. In other words, I wouldn't read too much into people calling Halstead a tool. :-)

29 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Is it possible the people calling Halstead a tool are referring to his brother on Med?  Because a LOT of people think THAT Halstead is a tool.

It was definitely Det. Jay Halstead on Chicago PD message boards.  It's ok, I don't share that opinion. :-)

I haven't watched enough Chicago Med to know much about Will.  

Perhaps.....just maybe some people actually do think that Det Jay Halstead is a tool....you know different strokes for different folks and all. I certainly didn't like his bullying behaviour from last weeks episode (yes I am well aware he apologised) but his attitude and behaviour prior to that was pretty disgusting tbh...

I'd not describe what Halstead did as bullying as bullying would be something else entirely. He had heard something about a guy he worked with and wanted to know if he could trust him and I think he has a right to. In their job, they're getting shot at, not to mention that Hank Voight has done his share of shady business, too, that could cost them all their career if it came out that they covered for him. So it is essential for the team to know that they have partners they can rely on in any and all situations. But Halstead did not pick on the new guy or use him as a punching bag. What he was asking questions and yes, he was questioning the new guy's loyalty and trustworthiness and he may have jumped to conclusions prematurely, but none of that is bullying. (If anyone has bullying tendencies on the show I think it's probably Voight but I wouldn't use the term for anyone on the show)

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 2

Okay....so talking about someone behind their back, spreading rumours, telling everyone else in the team and isolating Rixton and ignoring him is not bully behaviour? 

I absolutely agree that they needed to know who they were working with but when has challenging Voight in front of everyone worked? Yes they were told something but rather than knock on Voight's door and ask to talk to him in private and say look we heard this rumour what's going on? Or pulling Rixton aside and asking him...no it it is so much better than carrying on like an arrogant twit in the bullpen, hiding and gossiping the the locker room, making snide remarks and running to Antonio to find out is so much more mature.

If they hadn't got anywhere with the mature approach then perhaps I could have taken it further. (Just to be clear it wasn't just Jay, although he was the ringleader but Lindsay, Al & Atwater too. Only Burgess managed to stay out of it.)

He apologised....he needed to but that doesn't absolve him from his poor behaviour.

But you are right....Halstead is a salt of the earth stand up kinda guy. 

They've ALL acted poorly at some point or another.  Bad behavior creates drama on television shows.  But in my opinion, it's who owns up to it, apologizes for it, and doesn't repeat it weekly.  Halstead doesn't repeat bad behavior on a weekly basis.  For at least two years if not more, Ruzek showed insubordination and arrogance on a weekly basis.  He still does occasionally.  So that's where my opinion comes from.

I guess we will, because your example of Halstead's bad behavior was gossiping and bullying, and I can't recall he's ever done that before.  I would definitely argue that any bullying tactics used in the interrogation room against suspects are just an act, and they all do it.  So I definitely disagree that he repeats the same behavior weekly.  I'm happy to hear about how I'm overseeing it all though.  

As a side note, I noticed that Olinsky said he had TWO daughters...yet the whole Michelle storyline seems to have been dropped. 

Personally I don't really care, as I wasn't too invested in it. But the least they could do is somehow wrap things up (i.e. saying she and her mom moved away). I get really bothered when they start plots they never finish.

• Love 1

I just saw this episode and was so happy to see Bruce Altman, one of those L&O multiple-character staples! Although I get him confused with Jay O. Sanford, also a L&O staple with a strong wide jaw. Bring them all under the Chicago tent, Dick Wolf!

Altman was the dad hiring Olinsky as a hit man--I kept waiting for the twist that never came of him being the big tuna if the hijacked firearms case (which actually confused me--that was just an undercover sting by the feds, not the undercover investigation I thought it was going to be?). 

Not believable at all to me that Ruzek went undercover without Voight's knowledge, let alone blessing, and then just reappears. 

Platt, I heart you so much.  

• Love 1