Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Talk about being under a microscope. After the stress of tryouts, you go to a concert called the "Party Tour," a perfectly normal activity. You comment that you are ready to "party" which is clearly a play on words referencing the name of the concert. Then someone else makes a "wtf" comment on your page, which you may or may not have seen yet considering you are probably still sleeping. And this somehow makes you unfit to be a DCC. Alrighty then.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, dccfan37 said:

re: the 8 girls being "the most caring and sweet humans I've ever met". I rolled my eyes and then I believed her. When I read 'Deep in the Heart of Texas' (Now up for several authorship awards and a nobel. I keed, I keed), a great point was made, and that's that these girls are the best of the best. Not a B student, so to speak, in the bunch. Beauty queens, Homecoming queens, head cheerleader, etc. So while to competition may still exist, it's not like there's a bunch of girls who are scratching and clawing from the ghetto to get a scrap. They learned early that leadership and sweetness, coupled with a pretty face will get you far in life. These girls will be just fine without the DCC badge, whether they know it or not.

4 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

I always thought the use of the words "training camp candidate" was weird considering they're technical candidates for training camp at finals and are actually candidates as rookies in TC.

It's like Dwight Shrute.

According to him, he's the Assistant Manager. According to everyone else, he's the Manager's Assistant. HAA!

• Love 3

Good lord I can not believe people are still put out about Cassie five years after the fact. Let it go.

I am not really sure what there is to "get" about Yuko. Her dancing is completely serviceable. But her real intangible -- what she has that no one else trying out does -- is that she is a voice and face for the entire organization to put in front of the Asia media market. A market that the NFL and Cowboys have targeted for revenue growth.

It is also why it's all well and good that people whine "it should not matter about diversity, just the best dancers should make it."  Well, yes and no.  You don't want someone who completely can not dance, but the DCC are at their core just a marketing apparatus for the larger organization. The smart business move is to have a squad that represents and appeals to all of the different sectors they are trying to reach. 

• Love 9

Yuko is not my favorite in any way, but her solo was one of the best in the clips I saw. And, I watched them all, all day long. Lol! Her solo was entertaining, and she looked beautiful.

• Love 1

I'm still hearing more than 3 vets - 4 is what I've heard but the girl isn't sure of their names. She said they are all in the back row of the vet solo picture. Not sure that helps anyone but some of you are super sleuths so I thought I'd mention it. 

Also, uni-boob girl got in too. That kind of shocked me. 

25 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

Talk about being under a microscope. After the stress of tryouts, you go to a concert called the "Party Tour," a perfectly normal activity. You comment that you are ready to "party" which is clearly a play on words referencing the name of the concert. Then someone else makes a "wtf" comment on your page, which you may or may not have seen yet considering you are probably still sleeping. And this somehow makes you unfit to be a DCC. Alrighty then.

I see your point.  Someone else did make the "wtf" comment.  But, regardless if it is fair or not, individuals are often judged by the company they keep.  Maybe she just needs to distance herself from this person.

1 minute ago, Smplsimon said:

Yuko is flat-chested, unattractive and not that great a dancer.  But she adds diversity, so that's why she'll be kept around as long as she wants to remain.

At least her boobs are genuinely hers.

• Love 6

I'm pretty sure no concert starts at almost 1 am which is the time that cassie said judy was still not home so it makes no sense. It also makes no sense to go out and "party" after a grueling day of try outs for a team where you're going to be under the microscope. You're trying out for "america's sweethearts" not "america's party girls"

Wonder if future Dcc hopefuls will reconsider Michelle Keys creating your finals routine.  hunter last year and cristi this year both failed.  Looks and routine were similar.  Lots of hard edges to the look.  Cristi routine was a re do from one Michelle's old MDD days.  Michelle is very talented but maybe these 90 second routines are not working for J and K

21 minutes ago, Dccfan126 said:

Good lord I can not believe people are still put out about Cassie five years after the fact. Let it go.

I am not really sure what there is to "get" about Yuko. Her dancing is completely serviceable. But her real intangible -- what she has that no one else trying out does -- is that she is a voice and face for the entire organization to put in front of the Asia media market. A market that the NFL and Cowboys have targeted for revenue growth.

It is also why it's all well and good that people whine "it should not matter about diversity, just the best dancers should make it."  Well, yes and no.  You don't want someone who completely can not dance, but the DCC are at their core just a marketing apparatus for the larger organization. The smart business move is to have a squad that represents and appeals to all of the different sectors they are trying to reach. 

Very well put - everyone on the team serves a marketing purpose. If they were just going to take the best dancers, a significant portion of the current DCC would not be on the team. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RhiRhi said:

My 2 cents:

*since when is Raylee a Latin dancer? Like Kitty says "don't do things you can't do!" Yes her outfit looked silly and reminded me of the AA lady in season 3 that wore a long fitted dress and got cut. 

*I think there's so many short, girlish brunettes that Allie and Heather had to go. New Madeline looks like a prettier Heather. 

*Has Celinda fixed her snaggle tooth? If not, can't see her making the team

*Lauren needs a hair makeover.  I like curly hair but not the 80's swept to the side.  Would look great straight probably. 

*I think Dayton decided late in the game to audition and wasn't in DCC shape but in a few months she'll be amazing

*I noticed that stupid Chris Brown party image straight away. I predict this chick won't make it to makeovers. 

*Cristi shouldn't have worn the outfit she did. Did she run it by anyone? Why even wear something that has a 1% chance of being taken the wrong way? 

*im in the minority but I'm glad Yuko, Tasha and Selina made it back, all unique and bring something different to the table.

*Eta, what the heck is Kelli going to say during Miranda's uniform fitting?!? 'Is this one boob all yours??'  

How does she have a uni-boob? Miranda T right?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I'm pretty sure no concert starts at almost 1 am which is the time that cassie said judy was still not home so it makes no sense. It also makes no sense to go out and "party" after a grueling day of try outs for a team where you're going to be under the microscope. You're trying out for "america's sweethearts" not "america's party girls"

Eh, she likely already had the concert tickets and was flying high on her extremely exciting day. That adrenaline is probably amazing. 

I hate Chris Brown and question her judgement there, but I get it. Her excitement seems innocent enough. She's probably dead to the world today wearing some yoga pants and a messy bun. Lol. Adrenaline crashes are no joke. 

If she's a serial party girl, Kelli will nip it in the bud quick if she's amazing or give her the boot if she's not. 

For sure, Yuko is there to serve the Asian market. No question. It's just surprising they can't find someone better. Anyone who has ever been to NDA Nationals knows how good the Japanese teams are. Surely there is a strong dancer who is cute and speaks English. Add in the fact that NDA is headquartered in Dallas and you'd think they could handpick the best.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, kalibean said:

Eh, she likely already had the concert tickets and was flying high on her extremely exciting day. That adrenaline is probably amazing. 

I hate Chris Brown and question her judgement there, but I get it. Her excitement seems innocent enough. She's probably dead to the world today wearing some yoga pants and a messy bun. Lol. Adrenaline crashes are no joke. 

If she's a serial party girl, Kelli will nip it in the bud quick if she's amazing or give her the boot if she's not. 

I am confused - she went to this concert last night?!?!? I just thought she pulled a saved photo off her phone and posted it. 

• Love 1

Looks like last Saturday was his concert in Dallas. That makes it a bit better, but she must have went after semis.

2 minutes ago, Dlcmom said:

I am confused - she went to this concert last night?!?!? I just thought she pulled a saved photo off her phone and posted it. 

You're right - the concert was on 5/6. Well shoot, I just don't know. Lol. I had Seattle friends that attended and said it was a giant party (and also a real life version of Lip Sync Battle), so maybe she just tied in the tour name and made a silly post. Bless her heart. 

49 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

@Law Mom- yes, it matters. If you have seen any of the episodes re: social media and what Kelli & Judy look for in veterans and TCCs outside behaviors, you would know their actions are monitored as a reflection of the DCC and the Cowboys organization. This is a particularly un-fun aspect of being a TCC/DCC. 

Stating you are celebrating with hard work and organizing your life to fit the demands of TCC and the DCC life is more appropriate to be taken seriously.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LilRedHerring said:

@Law Mom- yes, it matters. If you have seen any of the episodes re: social media and what Kelli & Judy look for in veterans and TCCs outside behaviors, you would know their actions are monitored as a reflection of the DCC and the Cowboys organization. This is a particularly un-fun aspect of being a TCC/DCC. 

Stating you are celebrating with hard work and organizing your life to fit the demands of TCC and the DCC life is more appropriate to be taken seriously.

Hahaha freaking exactly. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, LilRedHerring said:

You are correct, as we can see here how people are judging her for literally doing nothing wrong except not following an unwritten rule that is not at related to character even though everyone pretends it is. Also, why was Judy out so late? I think that sets a bad example for the girls.

I've been instagram stalking. From what I can see

- Brianna needs to tidy up her instagram. Not only the part tour pic, but also some not so "americas sweethearts" pictures from Halloween

- Celinda might struggle. Just her clips from dance classes she doesn't seem to get the choreo right. She may be a "take home girl" though, you can't tell

- Lauren looks really good in her videos, plus he solo was really good so I hope she makes it

- Savannah only found lyrical videos, but the girls got some good technique!

30 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

For sure, Yuko is there to serve the Asian market. No question. It's just surprising they can't find someone better. Anyone who has ever been to NDA Nationals knows how good the Japanese teams are. Surely there is a strong dancer who is cute and speaks English. Add in the fact that NDA is headquartered in Dallas and you'd think they could handpick the best.

The problem is this - they can only choose from the girls who show up to audition. It is totally irrelevant how many great dancers who are Asian live in the area or if NDA headquarters is right down the road - if they don't show up to audition then they might as well not even exist. And that goes for all of the candidates who represent a specific market. 

This is my thought whenever someone makes the comment about the new group of finalist being "eh" and complaining that "DCC is lowering their standards"... fewer and fewer women show up to audition every year. DCC has an amazing history and is an icon BUT, they are also the most demanding team in the league as far as time commitment AND they pay the worst. By far. So while a lot of girls dream of growing up to be a DCC, a girls gotta eat. I think their time expectations and low pay is a large part of the reason less women show up every year - and the ones that want it bad enough that they will work 20+ hours a week for free aren't always going to be the best dancers, the most beautiful or the best ambassadors in the country. They are the best of who showed up to audition. Kelli and Judy also do a lot to help those who make it to grow to their fullest potential. 

... maybe this needs to be moved to unpopular opinions?

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Sandiedog said:

The first one is starting off on the wrong foot, "ready to party, Wtf I'm living my life, Yada, Yada,....." Does she not know she just entered boot camp.?

I like Rachel. she seems down to earth scrolling through her insta. She's the final one. 

(edited)
22 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Judy was at the stadium with the girls until they all left I'm sure

Sounds like K&J were there prey late. 
Edited by AnnMichele
  • Love 8

Either Chenise Johnson or Keyra Ford made it into TC. On the picture DJ EJ posted, she is sitting in the front row, second from the right. It's definitely one of them but I can't tell who! I keep going back and forth. I follow Chenise but Keyra is private

• Love 1

I know it doesn't come across in writing, but I was being facetious about Judy not being home at 1 am. Of course she was working hard, and of course I don't think she was out partying. That's my point. Like when someone goes to a concert with the word "party" in the title, I don't assume she's irresponsible. But I get that other people do make that assumption, and the girls need to understand that, too.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

You are correct, as we can see here how people are judging her for literally doing nothing wrong except not following an unwritten rule that is not at related to character even though everyone pretends it is. Also, why was Judy out so late? I think that sets a bad example for the girls.

She could have gone to the Neal McCoy show in Royce City, just east of Dallas. http://southernjunctionlive.com/

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

I know it doesn't come across in writing, but I was being facetious about Judy not being home at 1 am. Of course she was working hard, and of course I don't think she was out partying. That's my point. Like when someone goes to a concert with the word "party" in the title, I don't assume she's irresponsible. But I get that other people do make that assumption, and the girls need to understand that, too.

I don't think anyone cares if she goes to the concert... she just needs to be careful about what she posts on social media, the pictures she allows others to take of her (and potentially post online) and how she words things. At least for me, it's not about going to the concert, it's about comparing TC to partying. People here just know that Kelli and Judy will judge her for that because Kelli and Judy know that many people in the community will see her words as conduct unbecoming of a DCC. I don't think  anyone here thinks she's a party girl necessarily, just that she needs to be more aware of how she markets herself:)

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

I cannot WAIT to see Dayton next year! I just think she needs another year to really perfect what she's got....and I think she's got a LOT! She and Victoria Kalina will audition together! So cute! They can work together on their styles and hone their "HD ready" looks and they'll be fab!

That said, I'd rather see Dayton be taken to TC a little early than see Yuko taken back again. I'd rather see Dayton develop into what she's GOING to be than watch Yuko stagnate for another year. Not cool DCC, not cool.

I agree, if she wasn't from a foreign land she wouldn't be able to get a spot on the mighty mites cheer squad. 0-sex appeal, mediocre talent at best, and communication skills? PPPUULLLEEEEEEEEZZEE

Edited by Sandiedog
  • Love 4
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Dlcmom said:

This is my thought whenever someone makes the comment about the new group of finalist being "eh" and complaining that "DCC is lowering their standards"... fewer and fewer women show up to audition every year. DCC has an amazing history and is an icon BUT, they are also the most demanding team in the league as far as time commitment AND they pay the worst. By far. So while a lot of girls dream of growing up to be a DCC, a girls gotta eat. I think their time expectations and low pay is a large part of the reason less women show up every year - and the ones that want it bad enough that they will work 20+ hours a week for free aren't always going to be the best dancers, the most beautiful or the best ambassadors in the country. They are the best of who showed up to audition. Kelli and Judy also do a lot to help those who make it to grow to their fullest potential. 

I thought Shelly broke down the money thing for us and it wasn't as terrible as previously thought? They're paid for games, appearances, rehearsal time and for anything extra they do for CMT. No, it's not major bank, but outside of the Training Camp, particularly for rookies, it's essentially a part time job. A high profile one, but still. 

I'm all for the women making more, I just recall it not being nearly as bad as I thought. (And I agree with pretty much everything else you said.)

Edited by kalibean
Formatting
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, LilRedHerring said:

First, no shocked about Allie. I thought she would be kept for favoritism over talent because she's friends with Charlotte's daughter. 

Was she actually friends or more like Holly and strategically becomes BFFS with the right people? I still thjnk it's side eye worthy that Holly, who was homeschooled hours away from Texas, is so tight with the bosses' daughters. 

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Dayton will come back next year more determined like Madeline did.  At least no one can say this year she made it because of her Mom.  If I were she I secretly would be kind of relieved.

My tin foil hat makes me wonder if they cut Dayton on purpose this year, just to help prevent another Cassie situation. Now she can say she was previously cut, which makes it look more like she made it on her own. Personally, I think she would've made it on her own anyway, but she can't avoid the connection and rumors that automatically surround it. She'll make it next year. 

48 minutes ago, Dlcmom said:

The problem is this - they can only choose from the girls who show up to audition. It is totally irrelevant how many great dancers who are Asian live in the area or if NDA headquarters is right down the road - if they don't show up to audition then they might as well not even exist. And that goes for all of the candidates who represent a specific market. 

This. Same as when we see a Miss America and say 'she's not even that pretty.' Maybe so, but she showed up and competed. 

Yuko has to be connected in some way. If they were just looking to recruit pretty girls from Asia, they'd hire straight up dancers who speak English. They want Yuko for a reason. We just don't know exactly what that reason is. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, kalibean said:

I thought Shelly broke down the money thing for us and it wasn't as terrible as previously thought? They're paid for games, appearances, rehearsal time and for anything extra they do for CMT. No, it's not major bank, but outside of the Training Camp, particularly for rookies, it's essentially a part time job. A high profile one, but still. 

I'm all for the women making more, I just recall it not being nearly as bad as I thought. 

I'm mostly talking about the very long period of time leading up to the team being formed. That's a lot of time and they basically do most of their practicing (learning and cleaning dances) during training camp when they aren't paid. I'm not sure how often they practice once the season starts but I'm thinking it's probably not every night for 4 hours - and I've heard from a few people that they don't get paid for practices (which is fairly common in pro dance but most teams don't practice to the extent that DCC does). As a young woman, putting your life on hold for 4 months of uncertainty and no pay will mean a lot of the best out there never audition because they can't afford to.

Also, regardless of what they pay, they are still at or near the bottom for NFL teams. I don't blame the for that- they get what they need at auditions without having to pay top dollar because of who they are. My point was that "the best" is relative. 

• Love 2

I feel like Kelli asked Holly if she had any friends in texas and then suggested her and sam hang out, and from there the anderson's hanging out with her too

5 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Was she actually friends or more like Holly and strategically becomes BFFS with the right people? I still thjnk it's side eye worthy that Holly, who was homeschooled hours away from Texas, is so tight with the bosses' daughters. 

My tin foil hat makes me wonder if they cut Dayton on purpose this year, just to help prevent another Cassie situation. Now she can say she was previously cut, which makes it look more like she made it on her own. Personally, I think she would've made it on her own anyway, but she can't avoid the connection and rumors that automatically surround it. She'll make it next year. 

This. Same as when we see a Miss America and say 'she's not even that pretty.' Maybe so, but she showed up and competed. 

Yuko has to be connected in some way. If they were just looking to recruit pretty girls from Asia, they'd hire straight up dancers who speak English. They want Yuko for a reason. We just don't know exactly what that reason is. 

Re: your tin foil hat.... Thank you for throwing that theory out there. I thought something was up immediately when she was cut. Like "see? We don't automatically take every legacy of a powerful ex dcc who is employed by the cowboys organization." Mmm hmm.... 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, QuiteCalM said:

Re: your tin foil hat.... Thank you for throwing that theory out there. I thought something was up immediately when she was cut. Like "see? We don't automatically take every legacy of a powerful ex dcc who is employed by the cowboys organization." Mmm hmm.... 

I'm so sick of the Cassie Dead Horse beating. Doesnt matter if I agree or disagree, but I wouldn't wish it on anybody who truly can dance. Dayton has prepped for this her whole life, and she can dance, but already having a foot in the door helps. She'll make it next year, and deservingly so, but if this keeps another horse alive, excellent move.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, AnnMichele said:

Welp, there's Saint Judy and Cassie Streep. 

I love that people thought Judy was out partying like a rock star though. I bet when she reads this board it'll crack her up too. Lovie out getting tanked at a honky tonk while Cassie wrings her hands on Instagram wondering where maw maw is lmao.  

11 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I'm so sick of the Cassie Dead Horse beating. Doesnt matter if I agree or disagree, but I wouldn't wish it on anybody who truly can dance. Dayton has prepped for this her whole life, and she can dance, but already having a foot in the door helps. She'll make it next year, and deservingly so, but if this keeps another horse alive, excellent move.

Please stop saying so many agreeable things. I'm not sure what to do now. 

Dayton's cut didn't kill that horse, I see it as a potential counter-strategy but who cares. I just can't with the Cassie thing anymore. It's just too stale to even deal with. 

Edited by QuiteCalM
Spellin n stuffs
  • Love 8

The extra is real on this thread right now!  Holly and Allie are not from Dallas so it makes sense that they learned how to make friends with girls near their own ages. Who cares if it is their bosses daughters.  In this area, both girls are known around the dance community from competitions.  My sister competed against Holly and she is located her in the North Little Rock area. 

I still need someone to explain the Miranda thing... I remember her from Arkansas! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AnnMichele said:

maybe this should be in unpopular opinions but i freaking love Judy.  Honestly,I love the entire trifecta (K, J and C) but I really think Judy rocks. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to work two insanely long days full of arguing and back and forth, be hungry, exhausted and mentally DONE but still haveto hang around, do interviews, hug crying girls and try to defend choices you may not have wanted to make until dawn.  I know it's not like curing world hunger but still...NOPE. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Josreason said:

The extra is real on this thread right now!  Holly and Allie are not from Dallas so it makes sense that they learned how to make friends with girls near their own ages. Who cares if it is their bosses daughters.  In this area, both girls are known around the dance community from competitions.  My sister competed against Holly and she is located her in the North Little Rock area. 

I still need someone to explain the Miranda thing... I remember her from Arkansas! 

But charlottes daughter and sam finglass don't dance do they? 

There was a pic where Miranda looked like she had one boob across her chest. No space between. Not sure if she has odd impants or a weird angle and bra, but it did look more like one smooth boob across her chest than two breasts.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

There was a pic where Miranda looked like she had one boob across her chest. No space between. Not sure if she has odd impants or a weird angle and bra, but it did look more like one smooth boob across her chest than two breasts.

There's this condition that happens when implants are put in wrong, and it creates uniboob. I watch botched. A lot. It looks like that to me. But what the hell do I know. 

6 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

maybe this should be in unpopular opinions but i freaking love Judy.  Honestly,I love the entire trifecta (K, J and C) but I really think Judy rocks. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to work two insanely long days full of arguing and back and forth, be hungry, exhausted and mentally DONE but still haveto hang around, do interviews, hug crying girls and try to defend choices you may not have wanted to make until dawn.  I know it's not like curing world hunger but still...NOPE. 

No. Doubt. The amount of sucking it up in that woman is inhuman. She just made it sissified for me to sit here and bitch about the four facials I have to do today. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

No, but that's not what I meant, in their specific instance, I meant Holly and Allie were probably trying to make new friends in the area.  (Speculation)

3 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

There's this condition that happens when implants are put in wrong, and it creates uniboob. I watch botched. A lot. It looks like that to me. But what the hell do I know. 

Oh I see! ?

• Love 1

RE: holly and allie. Allie apparently met Charlotte's daughter in college,before making dcc. I highly doubt she stalked her, went to her university and managed to become her friend in a huge campus full of people. And as for Holly, that girl is their no1 dancer. They would do anything to keep her around. She doesn't need to have strategic friendships to stay on the team and she sure as hell should and probably has higher aspirations than sticking around after retiring. Not that there is anything wrong with this and I'm rooting for JennK to stick around and move her way up within the organization, but Holly needs to try something different. And then she can totally come back to assist with choreography and whatever.

As for what Jenna said, I think it pretty much means she is getting point this year. Personally i think their decision was more like "we don't have many upper vets left and Jenna is the only one we could persuade to stay". But it's also strange that they waited for her to announce her retirement to try to persuade her to stay.

• Love 4