Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

She was probably upset that she couldn't finish her solo. Maybe they let her redo it? Who knows.

10 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

Trying to get caught up on all of these... I LOVE the tapping! I did tap for years and it is HARD to make fast, clean and precise.  Amy is truly amazing at it and i love seeing her showcase it. She still had a great, fun routine. Love her! 

Erica's looked so good even tho she always does the same few moves.  she just makes everything look sharp and fierce. 

I really don't think Jessika's was that bad...it started off well and i think she just got a little nervous and rushed. it was certainly not a sh*tshow and i still enjoy her stage presence. she has the prettiest smile! honestly, if she does well on the field and did well in her interviews i think she will be fine.  Chantel's did not really do anything for me but i think she is adorable and a good performer. 

I haven't been on snap chat yet - did they actually show some of Holly P?? i heard that her top came completely off during the routine, she flashed the judges and had to run off LOL  I am very curious to see if they show that as one of the bloopers (i.e the barfing, peeing on the floor, etc.) or if that is something they will shield her from.  YIKES!! 

Yaassss! Tapping that clean is hard and exhausting. Only thing more exhausting to me is clogging, because the shoes are heavier. Amy is indeed that good.

Jessika wasn't bad. I feel like we seem to 'need' to find one or two vets to pound on, and Jessika has been so low key, that it's her turn. I don't think she was bad or in danger. Chantal didn't do anything 'wrong', but I wasnt wowed.

4 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Omgsh I hope that doesn't hurt holly's chances of coming back

I don't think Holly could do anything short of slapping Charlotte in the face to hurt her chances of coming back. I still think they'll rotate her as point this year. 

I don't have snapchat. Is there a way around that to see these routines? Why can't they just put it all in one place?

• Love 3
Guest djd123

Wasn't it discussed at some point that they air the solos on the TVs in AT&T stadium? I live so close I should have gone.  We need someone to go and record that and upload it here so we can see all the routines ? though I'm with @sleepyjean, that would be exhausting to watch.

36 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Well the DCC isn't exactly a normal employer. I wouldn't blame a girl for leaving after a year considering that the pay is really bad, the hours are exhausting and they need to have a full time job too. If anything, they need to provide their top talents with a reason to stay more than a couple years.

Oh, for sure. But are there any dance jobs that pay well? I genuinely don't know. I imagine the DWTS crew who gain endorsements have decent bank, and maybe a prima ballerina or Broadway stars, but I always pictured it as starving artists doing it for the love of the craft. Such as shaking your booty with Pom Poms can be. 

The beauty thing about being young is that it's not nearly as much torture to live lean as it is when you're older and want more creature comforts too. 

I think for ladies like Melissa, Amy T and Cersten (and whoever else has medical aspirations or background) they know the body is on limited time but their brains are not. So if Cersten is still working on her MCATs and building her resume before applying to med school another year of DCC won't hurt her, and might expose her to a lot of opportunities.  I wonder what internships or part time work she's been doing to stay current.

I did some work with Scottish Rite in grad school and loved following Melissa's career path there (if my old lady brain is working...maybe she did work with the Children's Hospital?) while a DCC, so I wonder if something Cersten got exposed to this year tweaked her interests in a different way. Lemme go stalk LinkedIn. lol. 

Wow... just wow... that is all I have to say. I guess all will be revealed in due time #KarmasAB. Like c'mon, it's 2017 - SHE couldn't possibly think that it wasn't going to come out before the finals. That would have been a rookie move ... or better yet, 'veteran move'! Lolololol 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, imcomingforyou214 said:

Wow... just wow... that is all I have to say. I guess all will be revealed in due time #KarmasAB. Like c'mon, it's 2017 - SHE couldn't possibly think that it wasn't going to come out before the finals. That would have been a rookie move ... or better yet, 'veteran move'! Lolololol 

What are you talking about?  Some context would be helpful.

17 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

another bonus for jessika is she looks a LOT like Mandy...esp with her current hair color and how she styled it for solos.  with mandy retired, jessika could fit that barbie blonde mold.

I don't think that's going to be enough to save her -- that routine was dreadful!

• Love 3
Guest djd123
4 minutes ago, imcomingforyou214 said:

What is this in reference to?

7 minutes ago, kalibean said:

Oh, for sure. But are there any dance jobs that pay well? I genuinely don't know. I imagine the DWTS crew who gain endorsements have decent bank, and maybe a prima ballerina or Broadway stars, but I always pictured it as starving artists doing it for the love of the craft. Such as shaking your booty with Pom Poms can be. 

Yeah I don't mean that DCC is a bad option. Girls like Holly could have a chance in broadway for example, but most of them will gain exposure from DCC that will help them get other jobs. So I definitely understand why any dancer would go for it. I just think that Kitty was out of line there. Cersten was an amazing addition to the DCC so even one year would be great for them. And one year is enough for Cersten to gain experiences so i don't see why her leaving after a year would be a bad thing for either side. If anything, they would be proud to say that an alumn went on to become a doctor.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Smplsimon said:

What are you talking about?  Some context would be helpful.

33 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

Trying to get caught up on all of these... I LOVE the tapping! I did tap for years and it is HARD to make fast, clean and precise.  Amy is truly amazing at it and i love seeing her showcase it. She still had a great, fun routine. Love her! 

Erica's looked so good even tho she always does the same few moves.  she just makes everything look sharp and fierce. 

I really don't think Jessika's was that bad...it started off well and i think she just got a little nervous and rushed. it was certainly not a sh*tshow and i still enjoy her stage presence. she has the prettiest smile! honestly, if she does well on the field and did well in her interviews i think she will be fine.  Chantel's did not really do anything for me but i think she is adorable and a good performer. 

I haven't been on snap chat yet - did they actually show some of Holly P?? i heard that her top came completely off during the routine, she flashed the judges and had to run off LOL  I am very curious to see if they show that as one of the bloopers (i.e the barfing, peeing on the floor, etc.) or if that is something they will shield her from.  YIKES!! 

This is gonna get interesting.......^^

5 minutes ago, imcomingforyou214 said:

Hmm?

• Love 1
Guest djd123

I always just assumed that the empty chairs were from girls who had already performed their solo, but if Jenna went first and is still seated during the other solos, what are the empty chairs for? Do the girls get the choice of staying or leaving?

Just now, djd123 said:

I always just assumed that the empty chairs were from girls who had already performed their solo, but if Jenna went first and is still seated during the other solos, what are the empty chairs for? Do the girls get the choice of staying or leaving?

I wonder if the girls who put their hair up for solos are allowed to go take their hair down/curl it for the field portion since hair has to be down? That would explain some empty seats

3 minutes ago, djd123 said:

Some of them seem to come and go. So I guess they are allowed to grab some food, go to the loo etc. 

If there are missing sections, it's probably from the groups of girls who are getting ready to go, and need to warm up, touch up, etc., or the group that just left, and hasn't come back in yet. I doubt very much if they let them all come and go as they please. That would be really rude and distracting.

What's this #Karma stuff about? I'm lost. 

• Love 3

I think that each group of five (or however many) leave a few minutes before they're up so they can warm up, check costumes, hand over music, puke in the toilet from nerves, go the bathroom, etc.  I've noticed it over several years and have always thought that they leave when the third girl or so from the group before them starts her solo.  After all, that's about five minutes or so, but there's prep time as well.  

6 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I just saw that they uploaded a picture of Holly on insta saying "holly is bringing her A game". Are we sure she had a wardrobe malfunction? 

i mean, i have heard it from a couple ppl now who would definitely know but ya...that's what i meant by saying it will be interesting to see if CMT will gloss over it since she is Holly P and not a random potential rookie. 

• Love 1
Just now, EricaShadows said:

I think that each group of five (or however many) leave a few minutes before they're up so they can warm up, check costumes, hand over music, puke in the toilet from nerves, go the bathroom, etc.  I've noticed it over several years and have always thought that they leave when the third girl or so from the group before them starts her solo.  After all, that's about five minutes or so, but there's prep time as well.  

lololol that would so be me 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Also - Maddie - she looks beautiful, and she's entertaining, but she still doesn't finish half her moves *ducks*

maddie?? see, i don't see that at all.  LOL  good thing i am not a technique judge! 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Josreason said:

Blonde kickline

IMG_3476.PNG

IMG_3477.PNG

From watching the clip second to out left has low kicks and the girl on the right seems slightly out of control. Could just be for that little bit though, hard to tell.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Josreason said:

Blonde kickline

IMG_3476.PNG

IMG_3477.PNG

Just watched the vid..the girl on the far right (ally, i believe?) has some great kicks! She's kicking higher than the tall girls!

Btw I just watched Madeleine's solo. I doubt she will ever be my fave the way Erica, Danielle and JennK were. But I'm so impressed by her and especially how much she improved after being cut! She definitely had a few minor mistakes but she had so much power and compared to most of the other solos she was sooo entertaining!

• Love 1
(edited)

This top that holly has on definitely would have a clasp at the back of her neck. My daughter has had a ton of these over the years and we were required to add a safety pin securing both sides together for an extra bit of protection against a malfunction. I have no clue if it happened but it would be possible with that top - I also don't think it would hurt her chances one bit.

solos like these are usually a way to break up the pressure of the rest of the audition, give the judges a chance to see a side of each candidate that they wouldn't otherwise get to and for the girls to truly express themselves. In the overall picture, they probably have little value as to who makes it and who doesn't but that's not to say that showing up unprepared or not taking the process seriously won't get you the boot - but that's because you've shown a side of yourself to the judges that they wouldn't otherwise see and not because your choreography/song/costume wasn't great. 

Edited by Dlcmom
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Dlcmom said:

solos like these are usually a way to break up the pressure of the rest of the audition, give the judges a chance to see a side of each candidate that they wouldn't otherwise get to and for the girls to truly express themselves. In the overall picture, they probably have little value as to who makes it and who doesn't but that's not to say that showing up unprepared or not taking the process seriously won't get you the boot - but that's because you've shown a side of yourself to the judges that they wouldn't otherwise see and not because your choreography/song/costume wasn't great.

This is a good point. I think the point of the solos is to give the judges a chance to focus on each person as an individual. It's the only time they don't have to split their attention between 5 people.

• Love 1

Courtney johnson graduated college today so if she wanted to audition she would have had to miss it

9 minutes ago, NicoleS9954 said:

So does anyone have any idea how long until they usually announce the girls moving forward to TC ? :) the suspense is killing me lol, can't wait to see if all of the vets make it back (or which ones don't).

In the past it has been anywhere from 8PM EST to as late as 11PM EST. Just depends how long they deliberate. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, mittensgizmo said:

In the past it has been anywhere from 8PM EST to as late as 11PM EST. Just depends how long they deliberate. 

Damn I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning then - that's 1am - 3am for me

• Love 1
1 minute ago, NicoleS9954 said:

Thank you :)

I feel like this year they have a lot to discuss depending on how the field routine went! At this point the only Vet I know is on the bubble after today is Jessika. 

• Love 2

Holly's group on the field was on the insta story, just a boomerang of their kicks though 

2 minutes ago, mittensgizmo said:

I feel like this year they have a lot to discuss depending on how the field routine went! At this point the only Vet I know is on the bubble after today is Jessika. 

Would they post her solo clip if she was on the bubble? I actually liked her solo better than most of the others posted. I seriously think she was choreographed to drop to the floor after turns to mask the possibility of falling out of them, but that's a good save. I don't think she was bad at all.

• Love 1

I'm under the impression the social media team might not have been given precise direction on who to post. Jenna kicked things off, but there wasn't a clip of her and her solo is expected to be among the strongest. No clip of Holly either, which I would think would be given (unless her top fell off in the first couple of seconds). 

I would have like to have seen Khalyn, Selina and Kelsey's solos, only because I worry about them making it back.