Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

On 8/16/2017 at 7:31 AM, heatherrrrz said:

I don't think it's fair to judge Miranda's dancing on her horrible boob job so I'm reserving my comments about her being a DCC until I get to know her more. 

I agree! From the videos I have seen on her IG I like the way she dances, but I also know that the DCC style is totally different. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Tonya50 said:

I have been reading all these posts regarding Jenna and Holly.  Let me first say I do not see the big deal with players dating cheerleaders.  I also hear people saying they are over Jenna, I was watching the cheerleaders performance at the HOF ceremony, and let me tell you they need Jenna and Holly because the rest of the cheerleaders without them look very underwhelming.  Jenna and Holly have the extra pop that some of the other veteran cheerleaders do not have.  Watch this video Holly posted in July and then watch the HOF and you will see what I mean.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/DCCheerleaders/status/889621539645247490

https://mobile.twitter.com/DCCheerleaders/status/893259364886339584/video/1

I totally agree with what u are saying. I see that holly and Jenna look like they are having fun. I see Jenna personality in her dancing. 

I disagree. The dance with Holly is just more popping and sassy than Thunderstruck, and the only difference in the triangle is Jenna instead of Cersten, and then Kashara switched to point. Kashara definitely pops and Cersten pops even more. 

• Love 2

Think Im now caught up with all the Holly and Jenna stuff. (I dont check the board as often as I would like so some stuff was a surprise). I am the first to admit I like watching them dance and I rooted for them as they worked to join the team.  While Im sure we may never know everything that happened and Im the first to say that everyone makes mistakes especially at that age, the fact of the matter is for me, H&J are not new members of the team. We see it drilled into the TCC every year what the rules are, so they were not in the dark about this. Its been my experience that some people, if they think there is any chance they can get away with shenanigans, they will try. And there are just as many who think the rules dont apply to them. When you sign that paperwork, you are saying you agree to those rules.

As far as punishment goes, Im actually shocked they werent flat out booted from the team. I can see K&J being the type to give multiple chances and I would hope H&J would have used it to re-examine priorities (Jenna seems to have). For reasons known only to them, one appears to still be there and one isnt. Hoping that all involved learned a valuable lesson.

PS. Apparently CMT has changed to where now you need a cable subscription to watch the show, so I look forward to reading the posts here :)

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, DCCfan27 said:

I totally agree with what u are saying. I see that holly and Jenna look like they are having fun. I see Jenna personality in her dancing. 

Jenna is absolutely a standout. I hate that she's getting this reputation. I love how Holly and Jenna perform the DCC Routines. 

• Love 6

Holly is more of a standout than Jenna, she's been the fan favorite for 2 years now. I liked Jenna when she started, but now I feel like my interest in her has fizzled out considering all the standout newbies like Heather O and Maggie.

20 minutes ago, jadecorleone said:

Think Im now caught up with all the Holly and Jenna stuff. (I dont check the board as often as I would like so some stuff was a surprise). I am the first to admit I like watching them dance and I rooted for them as they worked to join the team.  While Im sure we may never know everything that happened and Im the first to say that everyone makes mistakes especially at that age, the fact of the matter is for me, H&J are not new members of the team. We see it drilled into the TCC every year what the rules are, so they were not in the dark about this. Its been my experience that some people, if they think there is any chance they can get away with shenanigans, they will try. And there are just as many who think the rules dont apply to them. When you sign that paperwork, you are saying you agree to those rules.

As far as punishment goes, Im actually shocked they werent flat out booted from the team. I can see K&J being the type to give multiple chances and I would hope H&J would have used it to re-examine priorities (Jenna seems to have). For reasons known only to them, one appears to still be there and one isnt. Hoping that all involved learned a valuable lesson.

PS. Apparently CMT has changed to where now you need a cable subscription to watch the show, so I look forward to reading the posts here :)

Hi, I mentioned it somewhere. But Sling TV has CMT as a add on in Comedy pack. I am not pushing Sling. It just helped me not pay $130 a month to Time Warner for one show. And now that I am hooked. Can't go back to land of DCC ignorance.

1 hour ago, LaurenBrook said:

Mandy's officially moving back! I'm so happy for her that she still has her studio to return to, something she definitely has a passion for. 

I think her caption may hint as well that the old bf is out of the picture LOL 

After 6 years of dating a beautiful talented smart gal,  he shoulda put a ring on it!

• Love 7

I think Holly's top coming undone is that bad. The entire purpose of having the veterans re-audition is to let them know that they could and will be cut at any time, they're the ultimate at will employees! The vets come in and it's a big show for the rookies, Kelli and Co get to say, "Look! These are the standards you'll be held to if we choose you and we'll even cut these women if they don't uphold these impossible standards." 

DCC have to be sexy but not sleazy, approachable but not too real, thin but not too thin, curvy but not too curvy. Oh, and also be in school or have another job. All for ~$200 a game. Holly failing to secure her top properly and to not wear proper dance undergarments underneath shows a huge crack in the DCC veneer and we've seen them cut girls for far less IMO. At least if these women were in NYC dancing on Broadway they'd be in a union with a pension and health insurance. 

On a lighter note, the rookies look beautiful. Miranda and Kalyssa look so much younger and softer! 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, TwopLurker said:

I think Holly's top coming undone is that bad. The entire purpose of having the veterans re-audition is to let them know that they could and will be cut at any time, they're the ultimate at will employees! The vets come in and it's a big show for the rookies, Kelli and Co get to say, "Look! These are the standards you'll be held to if we choose you and we'll even cut these women if they don't uphold these impossible standards." 

DCC have to be sexy but not sleazy, approachable but not too real, thin but not too thin, curvy but not too curvy. Oh, and also be in school or have another job. All for ~$200 a game. Holly failing to secure her top properly and to not wear proper dance undergarments underneath shows a huge crack in the DCC veneer and we've seen them cut girls for far less IMO. At least if these women were in NYC dancing on Broadway they'd be in a union with a pension and health insurance. 

On a lighter note, the rookies look beautiful. Miranda and Kalyssa look so much younger and softer! 

Holly is wearing proper dance undergarments. Most of the time you don't have a seperate pair of parties and bra. Bra is built in and tights have a lined crotch. That's it.

DCC is also meant to be part time, and not a career, hence the low pay and not having a union, pension, health insurance etc. Pretty sure @ShellyB has confirmed they can use the CB corporations's docs, dentists, etc. if they have an injury or issue on the job. BTW not all full time NYC dance jobs are union scale with a pension/insurance. For the ones that are, you have to actually be working to contribute, and most dance jobs are seasonal or for a few day or month runs. Six performances a week for years is still pretty rare. 

• Love 2
On 8/15/2017 at 9:38 AM, HowdeeDo said:

Old photo before more cuts. 

In case anyone's like me and need visuals. VV

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

Thank you - as the visual really helps !

On 8/15/2017 at 4:04 PM, HowdeeDo said:

23 vets, 13 rookies

6 year - 1

5 year - 1 

4 year - 1

3 year - 7

2 year - 13

Just a perspective of how few upper vets this year. I don't think it matters as much as it did 10 years ago, but man those were the days when everyone was a fifth year. 

I do remember years where the number of vets returning was really low though. They may have had more with more years, but the actual number was lower.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:14 PM, coffeemug230 said:

total guess...Jenna is 21 Holly isn't and that coupled with Jenna's "known" performance commitment to the org etc. she stay holly goes.

I am sad for Erika....but all along we have heard from those in the know it was injured reserve....I wonder if something happened at the HOF game but I highly doubt it....

Jenna is actually 23, and for Holly- underage drinking can/could be some serious stuff.. If nothing else, it is breaking the law- whether it was caught at the time or not by officals. 

And as far as Erika- if she had to have surgery on her shoulder, that would take out 6 weeks. Probably a " release to come back next year" was the option...

And I am sooooo loving this forum !!

9 hours ago, ByTor said:

Let me first say I do not see the big deal with players dating cheerleaders.

In and of itself I don't think it's a big deal either.  But when the rules are "date a player you're gone", then expect to be gone when you date a player.

All rules and guidelines have their beginning somewhere. A lot of the players have wives and families, and not all wives look like DCCs, especially after a couple of kids! With the players and cheerleaders on the road a lot with away games and all, there probably was fraternizing. As the DCC brand was evolving and "America's Sweethearts" came into play, keeping the scandal of married players and unmarried cheerleaders apart became a rule. Internet and social media makes scandals even worse. And since its too difficult to separate "married" and "unmarried" players, the rule became DCCs don't mix, fraternize or contact players.

Melissa Q&A Interview about season 12.

What was it like coming back this season?

Melissa Rycroft: I always like coming back because when I get to work with the girls during training camp, it’s always fun to come back the next year and see how much they’ve grown. I’ve always got those few that we kind of develop a bit of a bond, ones that I’m definitely fighting for, and that I see really want it. When I see them have a great year and are going into their second, it makes me feel really proud and happy for them to have helped in any way in their journey and helped them accomplish this dream.

Do you bring anything you learned from your days as a DCC every time you come back for individual coaching or mentoring?
Melissa Rycroft: Absolutely. That’s really all I can pull from is my own personal experience. I can relate to a lot of the girls because I had struggled during training camp. Towards the very end, I was one of the ones getting called in, you know, just kind of waiting for the week to finish so that I knew that I was safe. So I can totally relate on all aspects of trying to gain confidence, trying to get the style. Just being this young little girl in the completely overwhelming world and trying to comprehend everything that’s going on. It takes me back every time.

What stands out about a performer when you’re watching and mentoring? What are you always looking for?
Melissa Rycroft: I’m looking for somebody that is having fun while their dancing. I keep trying to tell these girls that as stressful as this is, you’re auditioning for an entertainment job. That’s what you’re doing. You want to be an entertainer and a performer. You can never lose that as hard as this process can be. You know, you have to remind the girls that you love dancing and you love being here and don’t let the nerves take that away from you. They’ve all made it this far. They’re the best of the best, so keep having fun and don’t lose sight of that.

Will there be some surprises this year?
Melissa Rycroft: I think there’s always surprises. You know, this year I think some of the biggest surprises are that midway through training camp there were some veterans that were starting to get noticed in not the best way by Judy [Trammell] and Kelly [Finglass]. Normally, once a vet makes it back into training camp, it’s kind of smooth sailing. This season, there are some vets that are having to push their limits even harder once they’re into training camp.

It’s been 12 years since the show started. Have the coaches changed what they’re looking for now?
Melissa Rycroft: I think it has definitely made the judges judge harder. I say that just because the talent that has come in year after year has significantly gotten better. I think fans of the show, girls who have grown up dancing, are now exposed to what it’s really like to be a Cowboys cheerleader. Before the show, it was just this premise of they’re just a bunch of pretty girls out there with pom-poms. What the show has shown is that these are really intelligent, well-rounded, beautiful young women. When people see what goes into it, they want to be a part of it. They see that they’re the best of the best, so the talent level is getting better and better. Therefore, your expectations as a judge get higher.

As it gets further into the competition, are there any tips or advice you give to the girls who have made it to the end but just have to make it one step further?
Melissa Rycroft: Yes, I just say, “Don’t ever give them a reason to cut you. You’ve made it this far and you would never want to go home because you had a bad night. If you get cut, you want it to be for something that you couldn’t have helped. Don’t ever give Kelly and Judy a reason to cut you when you’ve made it that far.”

Would you ever consider being a full-time coach?
Melissa Rycroft: I don’t know. You know, I’ve sat in deliberations with them before, and I’m not as in the process as they are. So there’s a level that they have to emotionally stay out of it. I’ve never had that experience yet. I get so emotionally attached to these girls. You know, they’re debating on a girl and I’m like, “But she’s so cute. She wants it so bad and she’s working so hard.” You have to be able to remove that element when you’re making the team. I don’t know. I don’t know if I’m cut out for making that final call, to be honest.

We’re in season 12, so how does this season compare to the rest?
Melissa Rycroft: Well, like I said, I think you get an in-depth look at more of what these girls are going through. I know that when I mentored them, we got out of the dance studio a little bit. I was trying to get them out of their comfort zones a little more. You get to know them on a more personal level. I think you definitely have girls this year that you’re rooting for, and like I said, they’re some vets who kind of come into question that we’ve gotten to know throughout the years. As an audience member, your kind of like, “What’s going on?” You think the vets are safe, and so I just think the show does a great job of elevating things. This year, we’re stepping out of the dance studio and getting to see a different side of these girls

Edited by Domistar
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, pizzaislife said:

Q&A article with Melissa R on the facebook page. She said some stuff about vets. Nothing major but enough to confirm that there are some issues that happen later in the season.

from the article:

Will there be some surprises this year?
Melissa Rycroft: I think there’s always surprises. You know, this year I think some of the biggest surprises are that midway through training camp there were some veterans that were starting to get noticed in not the best way by Judy [Trammell] and Kelly [Finglass]. Normally, once a vet makes it back into training camp, it’s kind of smooth sailing. This season, there are some vets that are having to push their limits even harder once they’re into training camp.

By sayings 'vets' it looks like a) more than one are on the bubble even if they made the team b) Erica's departure wasn't only due to her injury. Though I'm still holding out hope she will come back next year. I always thought she would be a five years girl.

• Love 2

Holly is wearing proper dance undergarments. Most of the time you don't have a seperate pair of parties and bra. Bra is built in and tights have a lined crotch. That's it.

DCC is also meant to be part time, and not a career, hence the low pay and not having a union, pension, health insurance etc. Pretty sure @SHELLYB has confirmed they can use the CB corporations's docs, dentists, etc. if they have an injury or issue on the job. BTW not all full time NYC dance jobs are union scale with a pension/insurance. For the ones that are, you have to actually be working to contribute, and most dance jobs are seasonal or for a few day or month runs. Six performances a week for years is still pretty rare. 

I was referring to something like this which could have gone underneath. Her top came undone, it's unfortunate. She wasn't cut at finals for it as far as we know.  I specifically said Broadway because all Broadway and Off-Broadway performers are members of Actors' Equity. You could also say that being a DCC is pretty rare. The core of what we're all talking about, and what really fascinates me about the show and as kept me watching for so many seasons is that they demand a whole heck of a lot out of these women for a part time job. 

I hope Erica's injury isn't too serious. Does anyone know what she does for a living?

• Love 1

Did anyone catch Simone's clips of her solo on Instagram? I am too technologically inept to post, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't very technical, but she had enough pop to keep it interesting.

• Love 1

I am going through my mind thinking of all the girls that were at the triangle point over the years and am seeing powerful, confident, personality, great HD appeal,  entertaining, energy, projection and good eye contact with the camera. One biggie is CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE. I remember Melissa Wallace said about her performing in show group that seeing the girls in front of her dancing bigger and more powerful made her want t step it up and give her all too. I can see how having dancers who slack or have a lack of energy and power in front could bring the entire squad performance down because as a rising tide carries all ships the opposite is true.  I know for me personally I love watching the DCC when every time a camera switches to any random girl performing they look just as fun and powerful as the point girl. I don't like seeing a closeup of a girl not smiling and dancing like they are having the time of their life out there since there are so many close ups on the screen. Erica to me was a point girl for sure and I hope she comes back after having time to heal if that is the issue. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GAgirl said:

Did anyone catch Simone's clips of her solo on Instagram? I am too technologically inept to post, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't very technical, but she had enough pop to keep it interesting.

Is that at Valley Ranch? What are they using the facility for now?

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Hunter Blackwell?   I know she had tried out for DCC and made the Mavs Dancers. She went to Miami but hasn't posted if she made the Dolphins Dancers. I see Whitney made it. 

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

For the ones that are, you have to actually be working to contribute, and most dance jobs are seasonal or for a few day or month runs. Six performances a week for years is still pretty rare. 

You are so correct. Unless as a principle in a larger ballet company, you will have to hustle from audition to audition. Vegas is truly one of a few places where dancing every night has any regular pay. There are exceptions of course. Entertainment in general is a hustle and a grind to stay at the top. I happened across Kathryn Dunn's website today completely on accident. Having just watched the 2 seasons she was in, I laughed, Not at her but how some just find a way to capture what they love in other creative ways. She is absolutely beautiful, but in photo still dingy looking. Seeing her with Emily just showed how they prosper after DCC/TC world contact. Holly and the others will flourish in their own ways. Just got to get past those who can't get past it.

7 minutes ago, MimiC said:

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Hunter Blackwell?   I know she had tried out for DCC and made the Mavs Dancers. She went to Miami but hasn't posted if she made the Dolphins Dancers. I see Whitney made it. 

Wow really. She booked all the way to FL? Got to hand it to her, she did hustle her butt off. I struggle with the appeal there about her, but I swear some people are just better looking in person. Maybe that is it. But wow! I wondered about Hunter as well. 

16 minutes ago, GAgirl said:

Wow! She has improved SO much! GO Simone

20 minutes ago, TwopLurker said:

I was referring to something like this which could have gone underneath. Her top came undone, it's unfortunate. She wasn't cut at finals for it as far as we know.  I specifically said Broadway because all Broadway and Off-Broadway performers are members of Actors' Equity. You could also say that being a DCC is pretty rare. The core of what we're all talking about, and what really fascinates me about the show and as kept me watching for so many seasons is that they demand a whole heck of a lot out of these women for a part time job. 

I hope Erica's injury isn't too serious. Does anyone know what she does for a living?

She was actually announced first back into training camp. 

• Love 1

Here is a hunter and Whitney trying out.  I saw Whitney posted that she made it.  I don't get her appeal either but she has 50,000 or so followers ?

Edited by MimiC
More
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, MimiC said:

On page 23 of the "Other sports teams and the girls who cheer on them" thread has a explanation from Hunter saying she left TC on her own.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, TwopLurker said:

I was referring to something like t which could have gone underneath. Her top came undone, it's unfortunate. She wasn't cut at finals for it as far as we know.  I

Holly definitely wasn't cut at finals. She was at the first DCC camp, which my daughter attended, and she was at DCC camp all summer long, including in California. She quit or was asked to leave relatively recently.

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, KatebytheSea said:

With the players and cheerleaders on the road a lot with away games and all, there probably was fraternizing

The cheerleaders don't travel to away games with the team.  The rule started because TPTB didn't want the appearance that the cheerleaders were the players' personal escort service.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

The cheerleaders don't travel to away games with the team.  The rule started because TPTB didn't want the appearance that the cheerleaders were the players' personal escort service.

I thought cheerleaders traveled to away games back in the '70's and '80's...  That's when the no fraternizing guidelines would probably have evolved.

I know the entire team doesn't go now, but I thought SG went, don't they? Doesn't anyone cheer on the players when they're away? 

7 minutes ago, Rosiemac said:

Wow, that's pretty wild. Thanks for the link! 

Thank you to Kristy for sticking up for the Vets! (Though at first glance, it didn't seem like Raylee was having fun. Maybe she was just over it?)

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ByTor said:

And they probably didn't want to pay for the travel expenses. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, MamaV said:

Does anyone know how viewers outside the USA can watch this show?  Can't access CMT or American cable networks...thanks!

If you get get access to this site,  perhaps itunes?

2 minutes ago, Rosiemac said:

Here is some the behind the scenes for tonight....can't wait!

Melissa's outfit..... um just wow 

7 hours ago, countrygirl1689 said:

Did anyone watch Michelle Keys's insta story from last night? Someone who either is Holly or looks like her was there. You can't ever see her face though. This is a bad screenshot but...

IMG_9731.PNG

I just caught up on my Instagram stories and thought the same! Tried to get a screenshot but couldn't! Glad someone did so I know I wasn't seeing things!

57 minutes ago, KatebytheSea said:

I thought cheerleaders traveled to away games back in the '70's and '80's...  That's when the no fraternizing guidelines would probably have evolved.

I know the entire team doesn't go now, but I thought SG went, don't they? Doesn't anyone cheer on the players when they're away? 

No. No cheerleaders ever travel with the team to away games. The only exceptions being the London game a few years ago, the hall of fame game this year, and if the Cowboys were ever to make it to the Super Bowl. Even then, they do not  take the entire team. Show group and a few special vets went to London. It looks like most vets went to HOF. Super Bowl has a limit... I forget the number.

• Love 1