Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Being an amazing performer doesn't always translate into being a good leader, administrator, choreographer, etc. Group leaders, etc. aren't chosen on dance ability alone.

Good example that's going to most likely make some people mad: Brook Sorenson is a really, really good dancer. She makes it look effortless, she pops, she's fun to watch, just very, very, entertaining. However, based on the clips I've seen of the Dolphins cheerleaders, she's a far better dancer than choreographer. I think her choreography all looks like recycled 8 counts of DCC routines from when Brooke was on the team. The dancers also don't look in sync. Their timing is usually off, and their placement is off. I truly think Brooke is a much, much, better dancer than choreographer. 

Back to Holly, Jenna, or any other showboater. When you're on a team that emphasizes uniformity and doesn't seem to like personalities, you DO have to 'dull your shine' or cut back on the individuality to conform to the job you took as a team player. 

• Love 6

I thought I was a hypocrite at first because I love Holly and hate Jenna's showyness, but then I realized I really don't hate Jenna's showboating lol besides her extraness on instagram I think she's pretty good on the field with it.

3 minutes ago, Tootie said:

I never would have dreamed (as a die-hard DCC fan) that I could be more excited about the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders auditions right now!!  lol

Agreed. I honestly hate this time of the year with DCC. They have gotten very good at keeping things under raps which is totally different from the Dolphins!  The Dolphins are letting us in on pretty much everything. They are at calendar shoot right now and invited a few girls who have not officially been chosen for the squad. I do wonder if it makes them a shoo-in. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Being an amazing performer doesn't always translate into being a good leader, administrator, choreographer, etc. Group leaders, etc. aren't chosen on dance ability alone.

Good example that's going to most likely make some people mad: Brook Sorenson is a really, really good dancer. She makes it look effortless, she pops, she's fun to watch, just very, very, entertaining. However, based on the clips I've seen of the Dolphins cheerleaders, she's a far better dancer than choreographer. I think her choreography all looks like recycled 8 counts of DCC routines from when Brooke was on the team. The dancers also don't look in sync. Their timing is usually off, and their placement is off. I truly think Brooke is a much, much, better dancer than choreographer. 

Back to Holly, Jenna, or any other showboater. When you're on a team that emphasizes uniformity and doesn't seem to like personalities, you DO have to 'dull your shine' or cut back on the individuality to conform to the job you took as a team player. 

I was talking about real life. I agree that you have to look the part.

• Love 3
Just now, QuiteCalM said:

I was talking about real life. I agree that you have to look the part.

Me too! Real life. However, even the DCC can't deny that she is one of/if not the best dancer.

I can't imagine that she is walking around the locker room bragging on herself. lol

• Love 1

Dull your shine to me is talking about having to scale back some ability to be consistent with all of your teammates or whatever the performance demands. I don't think any of them are scaling back on their looks, especially Holly. She's cute but she'd need a boost, in my opinion, to match some of the other girls. We may not be on the same page again. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Dull your shine to me is talking about having to scale back some ability to be consistent with all of your teammates or whatever the performance demands. I don't think any of them are scaling back on their looks, especially Holly. She's cute but she'd need a boost, in my opinion, to match some of the other girls. We may not be on the same page again. 

EXACTLY THIS!!! 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Honest question because I need clarity. When I was watching the Dolphins Cheerleaders on social media, they were talking to Brooke and listed her as the Cheerleader Coordinator and she was not the only one with that title. Is that the same as choreographer? 

7 minutes ago, DCCFAN71 said:

Honest question because I need clarity. When I was watching the Dolphins Cheerleaders on social media, they were talking to Brooke and listed her as the Cheerleader Coordinator and she was not the only one with that title. Is that the same as choreographer? 

On the official web they have her as Choreographer? They aren't very consistent in what they publish, are they?

http://dolphinscheerleaders.com/staff

• Love 1

Just chiming in, since I don't do it often because most of my thoughts are already posted on here & I thank you all for that!! 

Holly is an amazing dancer, beautiful girl, and has proven to be a great ambassador for the DCC. That's pretty much been established a hundred times now. However, just my opinion, I think this experience has aided in her personal and professional growth in regards to being a woman and  professional dancer. To some, she may come off as being one whose in it for herself blah blah, but if that's what people think, consider this: DCC is certainly not going to be the end of her dancing career.  That's been true for some as we've seen, but not for Holly I would be willing to bet! I don't know what her next move will be, but her talent is extraordinary - especially at a young age. Imagine how much more she will develop and if possible, how much greater she will be at the art years down the road! Whether it's moving to LA or NYC or SYTYCD, she's nowhere close to being done. I almost view her time here as a stepping stone into a life full of dance. So to me, she's all of those things and she seems to fit just fine within the squad. I mean all we have to go by is social media & I think that's fair to say. Also, these are just my thoughts and not intended as a response to anything in particular that has been said! 

lol, also, I love this forum and DCC so much - like thanks a million to the creators !! ok that's all for now ?

• Love 8
(edited)

So quick question, is Simone The only one of Melissa Rycroft's girls that made it passed year 2? 

Kat-rookie

Breelan-rookie

Caila- 2nd year

Ashley Pro- rookie

Selina- (technically 2nd year just not the year she worked with Melissa)

Khalyn- 2nd year

Kelsey- 2nd year

Madeline- 2nd year

yuko- 2nd year

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Simone is her only girl that has surpassed the two seasons Melissa cheered herself! 

Who else was Melissa's mentee that actually made the squad? 

I wonder who her girls are this season? 

Edited by Jaxratchet
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Jaxratchet said:

So quick question, is Simone The only one of Melissa Rycroft's girls that made it passed year 2? 

Kat-rookie

Breelan-rookie

Caila- 2nd year

Ashley Pro- rookie

Selina- (technically 2nd year just not the year she worked with Melissa)

Khalyn- 2nd year

Kelsey- 2nd year

Madeline- 2nd year

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Simone is her only girl that has surpassed the two seasons Melissa cheered herself! 

HAHA! Good point. Must we endure her this season??

I bet when they ask for rookie volunteers for Melissa segments, that crowd parts like the damn red sea.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, DCCFAN71 said:

So, I can't be the only one that always pays attention to how they position the DCC in all photos, appearances etc. Of course I'm aware of the alternating blonde/brunette saga.  But this photo is prime example. IMO Robin should not be in the back of this. She has more seniority than all of them except Jinelle. However, I do understand Maggie being up front because she is the new cover girl...but how long does Robin have to live in the background.???

I've noticed it too. I have my own opinion about it, but I guess they prefer to highlight certain people over others.

1 hour ago, Tootie said:

I never would have dreamed (as a die-hard DCC fan) that I could be more excited about the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders auditions right now!!  lol

Haha me too!

• Love 3

Re: Robin, I really hope they feature her more this year. Ericka gets a fraction of the camera time she truly deserves too, and I would love to see both of them front and center this season.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, QuiteCalM said:

Re: Robin, I really hope they feature her more this year.

Just please, powers that be, let her grow those bangs out!  As a curly-haired person myself, I do not remotely like curly bangs.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, QuiteCalM said:

Re: Robin, I really hope they feature her more this year. Ericka gets a fraction of the camera time she truly deserves too, and I would love to see both of them front and center this season.

Agreed? Where was Erica in formation on the field this past season? Where ever she was, I never saw her!

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, DCCFAN71 said:

Agreed? Where was Erica in formation on the field this past season? Where ever she was, I never saw her!

Wasn't she right behind Jenn K, in pyramid? 

Edit:  I want her at point, and Holly and Amy L in the triangle... but I'm cool with Jenna Lacey or Robin as well! 

Edited by Jaxratchet
  • Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Jaxratchet said:

Wasn't she right behind Jenn K, in pyramid? 

Edit:  I want her at point, and Holly and Amy L in the triangle... but I'm cool with Jenna Lacey or Robin as well! 

I noticed last year that it changed frequently (just from pictures I saw.)  Mostly, it was Erica or Megan right behind Jenn K, but I'm pretty sure there were others...I can't recall who they were at the moment.

Edited by Tootie
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DCCFAN71 said:

I love Holly too, she seems extremely confident in her own skin and I do wonder at times if other DCC are jealous of her talent.

4 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Not you specifically, but I know some people on here dislike her because she's too showy.

I'm one of those people. She's enormously talented, but imo doesn't quite have the maturity to show the restraint the best dancers have in their toolbox. I think it's part of why she didn't get onto SYTYCD, though I also think that's a miss since they could have worked that out of her. I feel the same way when awesome raw talent doesn't get picked on The Voice, because isn't it their job to mold the contestant and coach them? If they're belting big notes too often, the coaches have them hold back a bit.

Anyhoot, Holly just needs some maturity and time, and she'll be glorious and have a long career ahead of her. I wouldn't be surprised to see her back at SYTYCD or other avenues when her time with the DCC is complete.

On the jealousy, I imagine some dancers like Jenn K or Cersten take Holly with a grain of salt, and less developed dancers very well might be envious. You can train for years and still not have the raw talent to be at the top.

The showboating shows a lack of control, and she just needs to keep taking classes and exposure to other types and styles of dancing, and she'll get there. Refine restraint refine restraint. 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

HAHA! Good point. Must we endure her this season??

I bet when they ask for rookie volunteers for Melissa segments, that crowd parts like the damn red sea.

I agree. I'd rather have them bring back the Power Squad with Jay work outs than have the Melissa segments. I'm sure Melissa is a nice person, but I get bored during her segments with the girls. They feel forced & scripted in a bad reality TV kind of way. Does that make sense?

On to the topic of TC: I am truly missing all the spoilers this year. That's what kept me going until the show started. I loved to find out if the spoilers lived up to what really happened. Hardly any spoilers this year makes our conversations de-volve into who should be group leader, which I could care less about speculating. (JMHO) Bring on the spoilers!!!

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 9

How old is Holly? She was 18 and just graduating high school when she made the team, but wasn't that three years ago? She hasn't been the youngest on the team for a while.

Shifting to Melissa Rycroft, if they're going to keep her around to draw in a wider audience, then they need to appease the long term fans and actually give her some girls who will make it more than a year, if they even make it. Once again, production and DCC management is missing the mark thinking these girls are just interchangeable and not allowing them to show their personalities and play on the individual girls' fan bases. 

• Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

How old is Holly? She was 18 and just graduating high school when she made the team, but wasn't that three years ago? She hasn't been the youngest on the team for a while.

Edited by AnnMichele
40 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Shifting to Melissa Rycroft, if they're going to keep her around to draw in a wider audience, then they need to appease the long term fans and actually give her some girls who will make it more than a year, if they even make it. Once again, production and DCC management is missing the mark thinking these girls are just interchangeable and not allowing them to show their personalities and play on the individual girls' fan bases. 

She made the team two years ago. She's going into her third year. So yeah, she's probably 20.

1 hour ago, kalibean said:

I'm one of those people. She's enormously talented, but imo doesn't quite have the maturity to show the restraint the best dancers have in their toolbox. I think it's part of why she didn't get onto SYTYCD, though I also think that's a miss since they could have worked that out of her. I feel the same way when awesome raw talent doesn't get picked on The Voice, because isn't it their job to mold the contestant and coach them? If they're belting big notes too often, the coaches have them hold back a bit.

Anyhoot, Holly just needs some maturity and time, and she'll be glorious and have a long career ahead of her. I wouldn't be surprised to see her back at SYTYCD or other avenues when her time with the DCC is complete.

On the jealousy, I imagine some dancers like Jenn K or Cersten take Holly with a grain of salt, and less developed dancers very well might be envious. You can train for years and still not have the raw talent to be at the top.

The showboating shows a lack of control, and she just needs to keep taking classes and exposure to other types and styles of dancing, and she'll get there. Refine restraint refine restraint. 

Agreed on everything. I am curious to see what Holly does next. While I think she's an amazing dancer, I'm not quite as convinced as some people (not referring to anyone specifically, just general sentiment that I've read from time to tie) that she could just head to NY and prance into a Broadway dancing role or some other big time dancing job. Perhaps she could. I would root for her definitely, but similar to SYTYCD, there are a ton of great dancers out there. I can't speak for everyone, as I'm sure for some girls, DCC is their dream and they have no urge to move across the country, but at least from the dancers that I knew in college and high school, the ones who were good enough to be dancing in NYC/Vegas/Disney (many are part unions), actually did or are still doing that. 

• Love 4

Melissa's segments are incredibly boring because I think they don't give her any real latitude with what to say or how to act. She is still fitting that approved-by-DCC mold.

If she was allowed to shelve the "I'm Sweet But Real Act" and cut loose to say what was really on her mind, it would liven those segments up quite a bit. 

Unfortunately they already have that rowdy role filled with Kitty. Hell, even Jay is more genuine when he's coaching and giving his critiques.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know I fast forward through her segments. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Jaxratchet said:

Melissa also 'worked' with Kelsey and Jessika last season...  but Simone might be the only one still with the team....  

I don't mind her so much...  at least on this show she can actually relate to the girls somewhat unlike other tv shows she tried to "host"...  I think she just needs to chill on the face fillers - her face never looks the same from episode to episode....  And I wish they would bring in other alumnae who were real entertainers on the team to come in and mentor... Melissa was never  show stopper while she was on the DCCs.  And even on DWTS she may have won but there are other contestants who just leap off the screen they are so dynamic and vibrant.

My two cents.... :)

• Love 1

I think CMT sends certain girls to Melissa for her to work with, but I do not think she has too much say so in who or who does not make the team. If a girl does make the team after being mentored a little or a lot by Melissa, and she does not make it back next year, it is on her and not Melissa. I think Melissa works with them to help make the team, but once the girl is on the team, Melissa steps back with her mentoring until TC the next year. Personally, I would not want to be sent to her., but if I had to, I would put on a big fake smile, work hard, pretend to listen to her, and after the mentoring session was over, I would go to a retired DCC or a current veteran for extra help and advice.

11 minutes ago, ahndreeeah said:

Melissa also 'worked' with Kelsey and Jessika last season...  but Simone might be the only one still with the team....  

I don't mind her so much...  at least on this show she can actually relate to the girls somewhat unlike other tv shows she tried to "host"...  I think she just needs to chill on the face fillers - her face never looks the same from episode to episode....  And I wish they would bring in other alumnae who were real entertainers on the team to come in and mentor... Melissa was never  show stopper while she was on the DCCs.  And even on DWTS she may have won but there are other contestants who just leap off the screen they are so dynamic and vibrant.

Totally agree. They could bring in any number of the retired vets to mentor the candidates, or even an All Star that was willing. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Java said:

Totally agree. They could bring in any number of the retired vets to mentor the candidates, or even an All Star that was willing. 

I know people don't see her appeal sometimes, but I WISH they'd use Sarah gourley. She seems to have what it takes to coach, lead, advise and also scads of hands-on, real world experience. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, ahndreeeah said:

I feel the same. I don't mind her on the show, but I don't really feel like she adds anything. I do feel like she kind of plays favorites a bit, but again, its whatever. She's just kind of there IMO.

25 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

I know people don't see her appeal sometimes, but I WISH they'd use Sarah gourley. She seems to have what it takes to coach, lead, advise and also scads of hands-on, real world experience. 

I don't know how with so much time commenting on everyone's social media accounts! 

2 hours ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

Heather O.  The Vanilla issue

I forgot about Heather, and someone mentioned Jessika.  I didn't really count them, because there were other girls that she really spent the most time talking to in season 11

-Amy

-Kelsey

-Khalyn

-Madeline

-Emily Roslyn

-Brennan or Bethany (can't remember which one)  

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

I wish they would use Sarah too. Not only for every reason you stated but also because she scares the crap out of me. If I were a rookie candidate, I would be trying to read that woman's mind to know what she wanted me to do before she asked, knowing how to do it and do it right. This way I could stay on her good side. Imagine being on her bad side...

IMG_1899.JPG

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Java said:

Maybe that's what they were doing with all the retired vets last week??

• Love 2
4 hours ago, lfedncr said:

This is exciting news !IMG_3534.PNG.44032ca2cd0a4caa3be74b272c6eba78.PNGimageproxy.php?img=&key=32bc34fe46752225

YAAASSS!! EXCELLENT choices!!

39 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

We are pretty spot on with our predictions. No holly! I think it's a great group of leaders. 

SOMETIMES we get it right on here LOL!

8 minutes ago, Jperry said:

We also have groups!

IMG_6218.JPG

So there's 44, that means EIGHT cuts of the 19 rookies before TC is done (assuming vets won't get cut)?

I know some of you had this figured out before auditions were over, but I'm slow...

giphy.gif

• Love 5

I am glad to see this. I was surprised to read everyones comments about Holly. I do not follow any of the girls on their accounts so my information on them outside of what I see on the show is pretty much nil. Minus her my predictions were right. .  being a 2nd leader is a great incentive for them to come back and be a first leader and then we can see much more of those faces!  I love seeing Kelsey in the blue. I haven't seen Christina in any of those photos yet. 

• Love 2