Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Pro Dance Cheer has pics from DMD's 1st prep class. Raylee and (I'm pretty sure) HeatherH are there. Don't think Allie is, but their website is really slow so I quit after about 12 pics.

I looked through all the pics and saw Raylee but not little Heather. There was a girl who looks kind of like her, but isn't her. I wish she would try out for Mavs though.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ante said:

Isn't a Barbie just representative of a bad ass solo?  Or is the Barbie meant to represent a girl completely killed it for the entirety of finals?  For some reason I thought it was just for solos. If I'm right, theoretically, a girl could kill her solo dead and then bomb on the field. 

That said, I'm probably wrong. 

I thought it was just for solos too

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Java said:

Maybe this needs to be in Unpopular Opinions, but what is the point of giving out Barbies to the best dancers if there are 10 of them? The more you hand out the less value it has. 

Plus... Barbies?!   Seriously? From that first season with the marketing tie in I thought it was silly. Sure, keep the tie in because DCC Barbies are money makers, but find a more credible way to reward the ones you think knocked it out of the park at finals. Tickets to a concert, extra days off, gift certificates or donations in their name somewhere. Heck I don't know, maybe help the ones who are struggling financially to pay a months rent or give them a gas card.   Something that says we appreciate your efforts in addition to a hunk of plastic probably made in China that collects dust and eventually gets shoved in a closet.

*man I'm cranky. back under my rock now.

Well they could change the barbies, but they are supposed to be an award. I guess they are more valuable and 'fun' than making a little award, so i get it as an option. They wouldn't do anything else and to me it would be a little tacky and uncomfortable. like "hello ladies, Erica was freaking awesome once again. since she is struggling to pay rent, here's a cheque for her as a reward for being better than the rest of you". or even better, "to honor you, we donated money to a charity you don't even support! well done!"

• Love 6
(edited)

I love Milan!  She has the most effervescent smile and always seems so humble and happy to be a DCC!

Maybe Jenna is just attempting to ditch that cute "little girl" look now that she is older?  I love watching her dance during training camp--she really is good.  I remember her first year.  She looked like a little girl and that was/is part of her charm.   Being a foot taller would help.

To the lady who judges "dance mom" style teams--Is Maddie Ziegler really that good or was it the series' focus on her?  I liked Chloe much more and I think it was her demeanor.  I loved Maddie's little sister.  The moms really ruined that show.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 1
On 6/4/2017 at 7:02 AM, LaurelleJ said:

Saw some of the videos on twitter and the dad there with his daughter was so sweet!

Smart dads, I think my husband would volunteer to take our daughter too...or the neighbors daughter, the Schwan's man's daughter, etc. Anything to meet the DCC. ???

• Love 2

Those Barbies are sold out -- I wonder where Kelli keeps getting them.  I picture her with this storage unit just filled with the things for future years!  But, yes, I think it's insulting to give ADULT women a Barbie--a doll that has NOTHING to do with dance--in recognition of dance excellence.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Smplsimon said:

Those Barbies are sold out -- I wonder where Kelli keeps getting them.  I picture her with this storage unit just filled with the things for future years!  But, yes, I think it's insulting to give ADULT women a Barbie--a doll that has NOTHING to do with dance--in recognition of dance excellence.

I believe that Mattel makes them exclusively for DCC. Probably a special order. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Java said:

Maybe this needs to be in Unpopular Opinions, but what is the point of giving out Barbies to the best dancers if there are 10 of them? The more you hand out the less value it has. 

Plus... Barbies?!   Seriously? From that first season with the marketing tie in I thought it was silly. Sure, keep the tie in because DCC Barbies are money makers, but find a more credible way to reward the ones you think knocked it out of the park at finals. Tickets to a concert, extra days off, gift certificates or donations in their name somewhere. Heck I don't know, maybe help the ones who are struggling financially to pay a months rent or give them a gas card.   Something that says we appreciate your efforts in addition to a hunk of plastic probably made in China that collects dust and eventually gets shoved in a closet.

*man I'm cranky. back under my rock now.

Let's be real though… She's giving a Barbie as a reward to the same girls who usually work their but off for a trophy, medal or a piece of paper (certificate)that they can't even find months later. They don't exactly have high "reward" expectations at this point;)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, M1977G said:

Very happy for Heather O & KaShara that they got Barbies this year! Allie did get a Barbie last year, but she was a rookie so not in the picture above with the vets.

I'm not that sad for Holly--she'll shake it off. I'm a fan of her dancing but am a little put off sometimes by her thirst & think it's not a bad thing not to get every award all the time because that's a reminder not to rest on your laurels and to keep working hard. (Upthread I've stated my opinion that she's thirstier than Jenna, which was underscored for me by all the professional pictures she has taken of herself that she posts--but really, I like both ladies because they are awesome performers). I do see Holly as a second leader this year, and hope KaShara is named one too. 

I hope we get to see who else appears on the walls of the Star studio & DCC rooms. I know there's a smaller picture of Megan up, since she posted it. I love the pic of Erica, smile lines and all. 

As for training with vets to get a head start on training camp, I think a number of TCCs do. Many of them take prep classes and private lessons with former DCCs like Michelle K and (gulp) Sara G-I. That's not that different from working with current vets. But it's my impression that vets work one on one with rookie candidates as part of their duties as vets--think Ashton with hot mess Taylor, Lauren with Simone & Courtney, Brittany E with Makenzie, Megan C with Heather O & Kelsey etc. I'm sure they do that when cameras aren't rolling too. It's part of how you make a great team--through putting in extra practice hours and teamwork. 

I would love it if they showed us more vets holding practices for their group and less celebrity drop ins and mentoring.

• Love 8

I saw something about a workout sesh with Jay being filmed by CMT...was that for the show or a dvd?

(edited)
2 hours ago, Smplsimon said:

I don't think the girls find it offensive at all - there is only one narrow path to get the doll and that's by auditioning, excelling at your solo and then making the team. That's it. My 23 year old would LOVE to have Kelli reward her with a Barbie. It's an exclusive group of women who have one - even more exclusive than show group. 

ETA -  Kelly mentioned in an episode early on that when Mattel discontinued them they contacted her and offered a bunch to her. I don't know if they offered her what they had left or if they pulled them from the shelves for some reason but they gave her the ones she has. She has never mentioned how many she has though. 

Edited by Dlcmom
  • Love 9

Yeah, I can't get mad about the Barbie. I'd be THRILLED to get one if I went thru the process and wouldn't be offended at all that it's a barbie doll...it would be especially flattering if she dyed the hair for you, like she did for Emma. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

Yeah, I can't get mad about the Barbie. I'd be THRILLED to get one if I went thru the process and wouldn't be offended at all that it's a barbie doll...it would be especially flattering if she dyed the hair for you, like she did for Emma. 

I would put that thing on my dresser and show everyone. Wouldn't even be ashamed.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, Java said:

Madeline is Mormon so just being sleeveless is scandalous.

Lucky for her the uniform has sleeves!!! :)

1 minute ago, pizzaislife said:

I would put that thing on my dresser and show everyone. Wouldn't even be ashamed.

I'll be 49 next month & if I got one of those in my 20s I'd STILL have it on my dresser :)

• Love 11
1 minute ago, mittensgizmo said:

They made it seem like it was for the show this year. 

That's what I thought 

7 minutes ago, mittensgizmo said:

They made it seem like it was for the show this year. 

BARF!  I soooo hate the Jay segments -- I'll be fast-forwarding right through that (just like I do the insipid Belk fashion show).

• Love 6
(edited)

Same, I'd do without the long Jay Bootcamp sessions like in the early seasons. Hopefully it's only a small feature. 

2 minutes ago, Tootie said:

K&J should have the 'Who's Line is it Anyway' slogan. 

"Everything is made up and the votes don't matter."

Edited by HowdeeDo
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Honestly, i liked all of the options...Maggie's is sultry but not over the top.  When was the last time they had a blonde? Sam??

Also, they clearly LOVE Maggie (with reason).  I hope she stays a long time! 

• Love 10
(edited)
10 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

Honestly, i liked all of the options...Maggie's is sultry but not over the top.  When was the last time they had a blonde? Sam??

Also, they clearly LOVE Maggie (with reason).  I hope she stays a long time! 

Me too, I really like Maggie. She is a very wholesome beauty.

Edited by mcmrdh
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Tootie said:

It shows a thumbnail of Amy, too. I thought Tasha's was the best. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

It shows a thumbnail of Amy, too. I thought Tasha's was the best. 

When you click on the thumbnail, it pops Maggie's up again....

Just checked it again and Amy's thumbnail is gone.

Edited by Tootie
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Java said:

Someone is messing up across the floor right about now. I think I hear Judy yelling "Point your toes!" ""Don't hunch over!"

Lacey has got to be the most gorgeous one on that team.  Talented, beautiful and flies under the radar. I hope she gets a GL and SG.

Lacey was in Show Group last year and was an assistant group leader last year, so she probably has a good chance at both. I say Jenna, Jinelle, Erica and Lacey for group leaders, and Holly, Amy, KaShara and Bess for assistant group leaders.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Tootie said:

I'm honestly happy she got the cover (if this is really the cover). This picture is (as someone already mentioned above) sultry, but not slutty!! Since they posted the pictures, I was scrolling through them seeing Maggie made me go "DAMN... that's hot!!".. ;D

EDIT: I know someone mentioned it, but let me join the club as well.. I am so shocked Kelsey didn't even make it on the shortlist... She looked like photographer favorite and she's so photogenic..

Edited by LurkingFan
  • Love 7
(edited)

Lacey has been on show group every year since she made the team, and there's literally zero chance she won't make it back this year. The only thing that would keep her off show group is a 100 pound weight gain or breaking every bone in her body. She's a lock. I'd also conjecture she's pretty much a lock for group leader.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Java said:

Sure, keep the tie in because DCC Barbies are money makers, but find a more credible way to reward the ones you think knocked it out of the park at finals. Tickets to a concert, extra days off, gift certificates or donations in their name somewhere. Heck I don't know, maybe help the ones who are struggling financially to pay a months rent or give them a gas card.   

As others have said, the dolls aren't sold anymore. But the point I want to make is that they probably don't cost much. That may be why they give out so many.

Most of your suggestions,  while I'm sure they'd be appreciated, cost $$ and don't don't carry the same symbolism or status. Plus, I think this just started as a cute fun thing K&J wanted to do. There's that old saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, LurkingFan said:

EDIT: I know someone mentioned it, but let me join the club as well.. I am so shocked Kelsey didn't even make it on the shortlist... She looked like photographer favorite and she's so photogenic..

I think they're saving Kelsey for the cover of the calendar like Kinzie had last year or even the back cover. Her pictures are too good. 

• Love 10

I am trying to find a complete list of 2017 TC candidates.  I wanna be ready to follow each woman.  I recall seeing a rather incomplete list many moons ago, but wonder if a complete list exists.  Thanks.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Annette said:

I am trying to find a complete list of 2017 TC candidates.  I wanna be ready to follow each woman.  I recall seeing a rather incomplete list many moons ago, but wonder if a complete list exists.  Thanks.

There is one on this forum in a "who's who" type of thread.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Lacey was in Show Group last year and was an assistant group leader last year, so she probably has a good chance at both. I say Jenna, Jinelle, Erica and Lacey for group leaders, and Holly, Amy, KaShara and Bess for assistant group leaders.

I have the same predictions for 1st and 2nds, but I can't decide between Bess and Robin, I keep changing those two. 

I hope they show more dancing and studio time this year.

2 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

I have the same predictions for 1st and 2nds, but I can't decide between Bess and Robin, I keep changing those two. 

I think Robin would get it over Bess. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Smplsimon said:

BARF!  I soooo hate the Jay segments -- I'll be fast-forwarding right through that (just like I do the insipid Belk fashion show).

Random side note, I was in Tulsa over Memorial Day and saw a Belk. Couldn't get the husband to stop though.

I liked the Jay segments. It was nice to see the girls slightly less perfect. I mean some of them had *gasp* ponytails...

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, mittensgizmo said:

Group leaders are a no-brainer: Jenna, Jinelle, Erica and Lacey.

For seconds: probably Holly and (I really hope) Robin.  The other 2 spots (IMO)... could go to anybody!  Remember when they threw us that curve ball and picked Jennifer Amburn her second year?!   I'm anxious to see!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, pizzaislife said:

Random side note, I was in Tulsa over Memorial Day and saw a Belk. Couldn't get the husband to stop though.

They're not partnered with Belk this year so I wonder if we'll have a "Do's and Dont's" attire session and who'll sponsor it. 

15 minutes ago, pizzaislife said:

I liked the Jay segments. It was nice to see the girls slightly less perfect. I mean some of them had *gasp* ponytails...

yay! i thought i was the only one who liked Jay segments :)  I didn't love the SUPER long ones, multiple times a season, years ago but i think it's good to show at least one session that he puts them through 

32 minutes ago, mittensgizmo said:

Will be interesting to see!  Robin has been on SG but Bess has multiple years of experience under her belt from previous NFL cheering...either would be great. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

yay! i thought i was the only one who liked Jay segments :)  I didn't love the SUPER long ones, multiple times a season, years ago but i think it's good to show at least one session that he puts them through 

Will be interesting to see!  Robin has been on SG but Bess has multiple years of experience under her belt from previous NFL cheering...either would be great. 

I like those so much better than the sob stories (My cat died when I was 6 and I wasn't sure I would be able to dance again) or the super forced coffee visits.

During the Jay stuff they were themselves and I got a better feel for their personality. I loved the super competitive ones who would go all Tonya Harding to win.

• Love 11
On 5/15/2017 at 2:56 PM, redfin said:

Celinda Connolley

@_celinderella  @tld_celindac

Texas Legends Dancers

TC announcement photo:

Picture:

Dance video:

Pic with other TCC (Miranda on left, Celinda 2nd from right):

Who is the one far right?

1 hour ago, HowdeeDo said:

They're not partnered with Belk this year so I wonder if we'll have a "Do's and Dont's" attire session and who'll sponsor it. 

No fashion and friends?? Jk hope they have an edgier segment than a department store fashion show. 

• Love 1