Type keyword(s) to search

S34: Caleb Reynolds

Jabu
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm from Kaoh Rong (aka Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty 2).  And I'm the only previous evacuee here.

Well, he may have been better than his BB16 incarnation, but it doesn't mean I'm gonna be hoping for a good showing for him here.  No way, no how.

• Love 1

Caleb Reynolds (Kaoh Rong): With Sandra, I would ask her what she did to change the game. What moves did you make to change the game? The only thing she would say is she won. But set that aside. What did you do? If you can’t answer that, then there’s your answer.

Bitch, what do you think you did to change the game? Almost dying because you're an idiot doesn't count.

I hope they show the real Caleb this season. The fluff edit he got in BBB2 annoyed me greatly.

• Love 9
On 09/02/2017 at 10:55 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Caleb Reynolds (Kaoh Rong): With Sandra, I would ask her what she did to change the game. What moves did you make to change the game? The only thing she would say is she won. But set that aside. What did you do? If you can’t answer that, then there’s your answer.

Bitch, what do you think you did to change the game? Almost dying because you're an idiot doesn't count.

I hope they show the real Caleb this season. The fluff edit he got in BBB2 annoyed me greatly.

Caleb's comments on Sandra in the Parade article make me think he only saw Heroes vs. Villains and was not aware that Sandra had already won prior to that season. I imagine that someone explained her record to him shortly after the game started.

And yes, leaving that aside, it's not clear to me what impact Caleb has had on Survivor.

• Love 1

I have never watched Big Brother but I have seen people say that this quote about Andrea reminds them of the Caleb they knew from the Big Brother house:

Caleb Reynolds (Kaoh Rong): Andrea is a threat to my game. I know how she plays. She’s a snake. When it comes to good looking men she thinks she can sink her claws in, and if she can’t sink them in good enough, she wants to send them home because they’re not sticking to her plan. I don’t like that. I’m one of the guys she’s going to go after. And when she gets that “no, I’m good” type of thing, she’s going to slam that door in my face and make up stuff to send me home

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, LanceM said:

I have never watched Big Brother but I have seen people say that this quote about Andrea reminds them of the Caleb they knew from the Big Brother house:

Caleb Reynolds (Kaoh Rong): Andrea is a threat to my game. I know how she plays. She’s a snake. When it comes to good looking men she thinks she can sink her claws in, and if she can’t sink them in good enough, she wants to send them home because they’re not sticking to her plan. I don’t like that. I’m one of the guys she’s going to go after. And when she gets that “no, I’m good” type of thing, she’s going to slam that door in my face and make up stuff to send me home

Just my opinion, but only in the sense that (a) a woman is involved, and (b) he intends to sandbag her game; other than that, it kinda reads 180 degrees opposite of what happened in BB16

• In BB16 Caleb was attracted to/fixated upon a woman (Amber) who did not reciprocate his affections. Caleb's response was basically to (a) trash Amber's game, then (b) present himself as the White Knight who was her sole option to salvage it.  The strategy failed, and Amber was sent packing.
  • This reads more like Caleb anticipates Andrea will feign attraction which he does not intend to reciprocate, and he anticipates retaliatory backlash.
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

He doesn't understand how anyone plays. Because he's an idiot.

Sadly, I think Probst and the show kind of agree with Caleb's assessment of Andrea's game. I still remember the horrific Caramoan reunion, where Andrea's only airtime was devoted to "so, those boys are always your downfall, aren't they?"

• Love 3

I thought it was funny when Caleb was doing his exit interiews. He still didn't realize that when he passed out that he was only playing for reward and not immunity. This was months later. So, he pretty much didn't know anything about the rules of Survivor or how it was played. I'm assuming he's knows the difference now.....hopefully.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3

Since he's since apologized to Sandra for underestimating her, I wonder if he and Hantz are still friends.

Of course I don't know if his apology was truly sincere or he was being sarcastic after getting bombarded with Sandra fans.

• Love 2

My honest guess: he had never really seen Sandra on TV but heard she won twice without doing much (from Russell).  Then on the show, met her, discovered her husband is military and she's total salt-of-the-earth real and super awesome, and realized he'd been talking completely out of his ass.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

My honest guess: he had never really seen Sandra on TV but heard she won twice without doing much (from Russell).  Then on the show, met her, discovered her husband is military and she's total salt-of-the-earth real and super awesome, and realized he'd been talking completely out of his ass.

Sandra was in the military as well when she was younger.

• Love 2

Holmes: What was your relationship like with Sierra?
Reynolds: I called her Judge Judy. She came up to me and said, “Aren’t you going to plead your case to me?” And I said, “I don’t have to plead my case to you, Sierra. You’re just another girl out here on this island that’s playing the same game as all of us.” She said, “You’re in jeopardy of going home, aren’t you going to talk to people?” I said, “I have talked to people. I haven’t talked to you. You know why I should be here. I shouldn’t have to plead my case to you. Hali sucks at everything. It’s evident. She sucked at the first two challenges. She’s the reason we lost dang near all of them. If you want to win, and you want to be strong and you want some loyalty, you’ll keep me.” And that was it. She walked off. At Tribal I said, “Jeff, this woman comes up to me and says, ‘plead your case to me.’ Who is she? She ain’t Judge Judy?” Everybody was laughing. Production was rolling. They didn’t show any of that, they wanted to show Tai stab his best friend in the back. I tried to plant seeds, but Brad Culpepper had everybody doing whatever he wanted. And he wanted to be the alpha male.

From one of Caleb's exit interviews.  Wish they had shown this part.  I don't even think it was a case of Tai backstabbing Caleb.  He went on and on about their friendship, then had to be told do what's best for his own game.  Caleb was going.  Tai wasn't going to change that.  Doesn't really sound like Brad has changed in terms of wanting to be the leader.  I hope Hali doesn't end up getting caught up in the alliance of King Brad and his merry band of meek followers. 

Also, I didn't see Caleb jumping in to swim against Ozzy in that first challenge.  Who went in, and did a pretty good job?  Oh yeah, that's right.  Hali.  In addition, why was Malcolm back on the beach throwing rings at oars, when he could have been extra muscle carrying that snake?  Don't blame Hali because that tribe doesn't know how to competently take on a challenge.

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2017/03/16/survivor-castaway-caleb-hali-sucks-everything/

Here's another interview.  Sounds like Russell did get to Caleb about Sandra.

https://parade.com/555782/joshwigler/survivor-game-changers-caleb-reynolds-exit-interview/

Wigler: I want to ask you about something from the pre-game. You were pretty salty about Sandra going into the game. I know you have changed your opinion since then; you said so on Twitter, that you have a lot more respect for Sandra now than you did from before the game. When did that shift happen for you?

Caleb: This is what happened before the game. The only thing I knew in my mind… I did go back and watch one of her seasons. Sandra seemed like a strong player, but she did it in a way that’s almost hard to recognize. What did she do? She’s nice to everybody and she does a lot around camp, but what the heck does she do behind the scenes that got her all the way to the end? It’s not like she won any individual immunity challenges, so what was she doing? She’s not being a big asset to the team as far as winning challenges. So what, socially, is she doing? But in all honesty, there was a person from before the game — I don’t want to say any names, but I’m sure people can probably figure it out — I’m not going to say names on it. They basically painted Sandra out to be the devil: “She has to go. She’s this. She’s that. She’s going to come after you. Blah, blah, blah.” Almost a twice a week deal where I would have a counseling session on why I should get Sandra out. It seemed like this person maybe had a personal vendetta against Sandra. I talked to this person so much before the game, that this is who I wanted to go home. It was almost like they wanted her gone, so she wouldn’t get to play the game — and it wasn’t me. So just like I said in my tweet, I was completely wrong about who Sandra is. Sandra is nice. She’s bright. She’s fun. She’s a good player. She deserved to be there. Everything I said going in, I don’t say now. She has my respect. She was very respectful on the island, very nice and sweet. It’s one of those game plays that makes you wonder… how does a woman like that get to the end? She’s just so nice. But I did catch her trying to make a fake idol.

Why could we not see Sandra making the fake idol?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Has she already outlasted his showing on Redemption Island?

She will in the next episode, regardless of outcome.  He left RI on Day 10, and we just had Day 9 on GC.  Even if TC in the next episode happens on Day 10 and Sandra gets voted out, she'll have outlasted him by hours.

To get back to the topic of the thread: I had just remarked after Caleb's boot that "at least he got to walk out of the game this time", and then he said the exact same sentiment in his final words.  Granted, I'm sure a lot of other viewers were at least thinking the same thing, but I'd actually said it out loud.  Then lo and behold, so did he.  I was amused, to say the least.

• Love 2

They probably didn't air the Judge Judy comment because it's a tv show.  

I'm glad he realized the game isn't about winning challenges.  I think.  

Meh, Caleb strikes me as the type that treats every competition like the most important one ever. That's not necessarily a bad thing. One of the many reasons that I still love the band Loverboy is that every show they do looks like they've never done a more exciting one, whether it's in an '80s arena or a '10s street festival.

From his EW interview:

"One thing that they didn’t show was Sierra called me out. She says, ‘Well, Tai was at your wedding. Why would we keep you two here together?’ And I said, ‘Well, you and Hali have matching tattoos from the last time you played.’”

I found the above interesting in the context of Hali/Sierra theories.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:22 PM, KimberStormer said:

Man that's great.  I love imagining Russell's rustled feathers as Sandra makes it further and further.  Has she already outlasted his showing on Redemption Island?

+1

• Love 1
3 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

What fool believes anything Russell says? I mean, besides JT. 

To be fair to JT, that was when Hantz was still an unknown quantity to veteran Survivors.  I'm sure he wouldn't be taken in now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

To be fair to JT, that was when Hantz was still an unknown quantity to veteran Survivors.  I'm sure he wouldn't be taken in now.

NOBODY would be.  The only reason Russell got as far as he did his second time around was because Russell's first and second seasons were back-to-back.  Hantz's original season (S19: Samoa) didn't start airing until Sept. 2009, a month after his second season (S20: HvV) started filming (Aug. 2009).  Russell's S20 tribemates never got the chance to see Russell in action prior to setting foot on the beach with him.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

NOBODY would be.  The only reason Russell got as far as he did his second time around was because Russell's first and second seasons were back-to-back.  Hantz's original season (S19: Samoa) didn't start airing until Sept. 2009, a month after his second season (S20: HvV) started filming (Aug. 2009).  Russell's S20 tribemates never got the chance to see Russell in action prior to setting foot on the beach with him.

Mostly true, but to be fair I think I big reason he went on to FTC his second go round was because Parvati and Sandra both saw him as the best goat ever.

• Love 2