Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E04: Wolf Cola: A Public Relations Nightmare

• Start Topic

Crap, I forgot to start a thread. My bad.

In brief: Frank sells Wolf Cola to Boko Haram. The Reynolds clan tries to put out the fire, but they use gasoline instead. Because they're the Reynoldses. Also, Dennis does not like dogs, which doesn't come as a huge shock. Meanwhile, Mac and Charlie try to build on the popularity of Fight Milk with the UFC crowd. On the bright side, we get a new commercial out of that plot.

Did not know you can get a novelty countdown clock from Bed Bath & Beyond. Thanks, Dennis!

ETA: Is cocaine easily obtained in Philadelphia, or is that a Frank thing?

• Love 1

It felt a little disjointed to me. The Fight Milk story just wanted to fit in UFC references and the main story didn't have enough flow to it. All the turns were just too quick and seemed more for plot convenience than organic.

I did love the idea though. Frank confusing Boca Raton with Boko Haram (and then not caring) is great.

• Love 2

I wasn't a huge fan of the fight milk part. Didn't get a lot of laughs from me.

The Wolf cola stuff cracked me up tho and the tweets that were scrolling by were awesome lol.

Also, cocaine is pretty much easily obtained in most places.

• Love 1

Frank's plan to "soften" the image of Boko Haram I found pretty funny. 

The ads they make are always good, so disjointed, clueless and vague. 

I always find it funny how Dennis out of all of them has the most practical and best ideas, he just can't follow through on the execution of anything. 

A nice callback at least with Dennis having a job with wolf cola.  Dee was a bit surprising. 

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Is cocaine easily obtained in Philadelphia, or is that a Frank thing?

We learned in The Gang Gets Whacked that Frank had no problem finding connections for it. Since then Dee hasn't been short on access either.

• Love 1

and the tweets that were scrolling by were awesome lol.

I especially loved how the Twitterverse went from loving Dennis to hating Dee to hating Dennis (with connections to how they liked/didn't like Wolf Cola), VERY quickly.

The idea that a terrorist group could have an official soft drink was awesome.

The Fight Milk was intended to be a parallel/contrast story, but instead it just seemed strange.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Amarsir said:

It felt a little disjointed to me. The Fight Milk story just wanted to fit in UFC references and the main story didn't have enough flow to it. All the turns were just too quick and seemed more for plot convenience than organic.

I did love the idea though. Frank confusing Boca Raton with Boko Haram (and then not caring) is great.

I agree, it felt sort of cobbled together and not as sharp as the previous three.  For example, Dennis's reaction to the dog seemed pretty forced to me -- it's not like he was getting licked by Poppins, and he seemed fine with Dennis Jr.

Last week's episode seemed like a much better "media commentary show" than this week's show, where the characters are obviously making some larger point about the entertainment world.  Those shows seem to be hit or miss -- I loved last week's sitcom and The Gang Desperately Wants to Win an Award, but this week's show and Dee Makes a Smut Film seemed pretty flat.

The premise was very solid, and I liked bits and pieces, it just never really seemed to me to gel.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I always find it funny how Dennis out of all of them has the most practical and best ideas, he just can't follow through on the execution of anything.

What worked for the show was that had Frank and Dee just shut up, on that first tv appearance, the problem would have been solved. 

• Love 2

I liked this one.  I laughed when the UFC fighter told Charlie and Mac he would kill them if the fight milk didn't work, and when Charlie was leaving he told him to try the bottle to the left, "because that's a real nasty one."  It just brought together how they were making this awful drink that is so bad it just makes people sick, and who knows what is in each bottle. 

And when Dennis was going on his rant about not liking dogs, when they cut to the end and Frank and Dee were gone, I died laughing.  Those are the kind of laughs I watch Sunny for.  The biggest laughs are often the little things, even though their over-the-top stuff can be just as funny. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, mothmonsterman said:

I liked this one.  I laughed when the UFC fighter told Charlie and Mac he would kill them if the fight milk didn't work, and when Charlie was leaving he told him to try the bottle to the left, "because that's a real nasty one."  It just brought together how they were making this awful drink that is so bad it just makes people sick, and who knows what is in each bottle. 

And when Dennis was going on his rant about not liking dogs, when they cut to the end and Frank and Dee were gone, I died laughing.  Those are the kind of laughs I watch Sunny for.  The biggest laughs are often the little things, even though their over-the-top stuff can be just as funny. 

We do know what's in them! Literal crows, including their fecal matter

• Love 1
22 hours ago, snowblossom2 said:

We do know what's in them! Literal crows, including their fecal matter

Ha! Yes, but I just imagine Mac and Charlie in Charlie's dingy little apartment filling up these bottles, and rat hairs, dirt and other things getting into the bottles, too.  It just adds to the hilarity of people using it to get sick.  It is also funny to think of the horrors of a bottle that Charlie thinks is a "really nasty" one.  Like, what is nastier than crow parts?

God I love this show!  

• Love 1

A small thing I loved in the episode: Frank comes in singing "Go for it, go for it!  Go for it, go for it!", which is also the song he sings when he's trying to dance and pick up women in Charlie Gets Crippled (the first episode we see Frank).  In the commentary for that episode, Rob McElhenney mentions that they had no music playing when they recorded the scene (because they were going to pipe it in later) and Danny Devito just started singing "Go for it, go for it!" as an improv.  The guys all thought it was so funny that they had Charlie Day write background music and give it a beat so that it would look like Frank was singing along to a song playing in the scene.  I love their callbacks.   

• Love 2