Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Game

Ach. I'd forgotten that Morse was pining over Joan but unfortunately the show hadn't.

I enjoyed the mystery but all the main characters were so dour and sad, with Thursday and Morse at each other's throats and even Win messing up her sandwiches. Strange got his dig in about the sergeant's exam, too. I assume we'll find out who sabotaged it? Morse seemed to already know/suspect, but I can't believe it was Bright.

At least we got a bit more of Miss Frazil. Trewlove is proving to be quite the smarty pants, outshining even Morse in certain areas. I'm keeping my eye on her.

• Love 1

Excellent episode.  I don't care for Ms Smartiepants Truelove -- she's too smart and it feels fake to me, not genuine.  I was so sad that Thursday and Morse were at odds with each other for most of the episode, and not really reconciled at the end: it will take news of Joan I think to heal that rift (assuming Joan is alive and well of course).

So glad we can watch this on UK time so we don't have the endless wait AND editing of PBS.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, estellasmum said:

We can? How do we do that?

Don't know the rules for posting links but it's a legitimate source (not a youtube pirate).  Google ITV Hub or Endeavour and you'll find the link.  :)

On 1/9/2017 at 1:36 PM, DHDancer said:

Excellent episode.  I don't care for Ms Smartiepants Truelove -- she's too smart and it feels fake to me, not genuine.  I was so sad that Thursday and Morse were at odds with each other for most of the episode, and not really reconciled at the end: it will take news of Joan I think to heal that rift (assuming Joan is alive and well of course).

So glad we can watch this on UK time so we don't have the endless wait AND editing of PBS.

You see, I felt that Trewlove was used just right in the episode. The knowledge of chess was explained, and it kind of nice to have the smarts more evenly distributed than to have Morse show a sudden aptitude. Her other contribution was specifically feminine, and appropriate to the character (seen managing a handbag/purse at crimescenes, etc.) and the period, as women were being integrated into male professions with the view that they would bring a differing perspective with them.

• Love 7

Poor Morse, those "enemies in high places" from the Freemasons mentioned in "Trove" made his sergeant's exam papers go missing. When Strange first took it, he just missed the cut by 3 points, I think. I didn't think much of it at first last series when he got promoted because it was so close, but now I'm wondering if his new connections gave him a leg up.

Fred and Win are absolutely heartbreaking. Thursday and Morse's relationship is my favorite thing about the show, and I can't stand seeing them at odds with each other. It was so sad to see Fred feeding the ducks (quack) all by himself. I just hope nothing bad happens to Win at her part-time job, like with Joan at the bank.

Way to telegraph your death, Tessa.  "Next time you see my name, it'll be on the front page!" I will say I loved the outfit she was wearing when she stole Morse's notebook at the cocktail party.

The jury's still out for me with regards to Trewlove. I like the introduction of a WPC character, and I don't mind that she's knowledgeable in areas that aren't Morse's forte (has he mentioned a particular fondness for chess), but there is something that keeps me from fully embracing her. She did seem way too chipper greeting Morse and congratulating him so close to a bloated corpse. I'm sure police build up some sort of tolerance to seeing dead bodies, but her demeanor was just off to me in that scene.

Glad to see they rescued Ms. Frazil in time, I love her character.

I understand the need for death masks, but that doesn't stop them from being so damn creepy.

• Love 4

I forgot to ask, does anyone know what that instrument played at the beginning was called? I googled "glass instrument played with wet fingers" and it gave me verrophone. The problem is that the verrophone wasn't invented until 1983 and the glass tubes are too big to be the same one in the episode. It made a similar sound.

Way to telegraph your death, Tessa.  "Next time you see my name, it'll be on the front page!"

I definitely knew she was going to meet a bad ending as soon as she said that.  Thinking she was better than Ms. Frazil, stealing Morse's notebook, and causing a break between Frazil and Morse, were also signs she was doomed.  

Watching them have to wait all night for the search results was a reminder of how far we've come in such a short time.

Poor Win and Fred.  I hope Joan shows up this season so they know she's OK.

• Love 1

I like the new WPC.  She's smart, doesn't accept being put down, and the overwhelming testosterone on this show was clogging my veins.  I'm very glad Ms. Frazil was saved, I've become quite fond of her.

What is the bug up Thursday that he's so anti-Morse?

• Love 1

Loved the photography, or I guess cinematography.  It looked like a subtle (thank you) Kodachrome effect that made the colors pop and seem 1960's along with the lux "moderne" interiors ... it was really a feast for the eyes, but not (actually) over the top (when it becomes distracting).   Love the name plate photograph that looks like a vaguely "perfect Oxford sunny afternoon" watercolor. 

Thursday blames Morse for not stopping or at least detaining Joan, rather than letting her disappear into the mists.  Morse obviously feels quite bad, which seem to enrage Thursday further *and * Morse may well be leaving too (and good riddence!!) which is another loss.  Where is the Thursday son? or sons?  There was at least one and, pretty sure, he was younger than Joan ...  

It was a very well balanced and modulated episode ... skirting "outlandishness" but managing to not fall off that cliff ... YMMV. 

• Love 1
On 1/13/2017 at 3:22 AM, Kryptogal said:

Watching them have to wait all night for the search results was a reminder of how far we've come in such a short time.

Although it seems like it can take forever to reboot my laptop, it actually isn't hours and hours. Heh.

It breaks my heart to have Thursday and Morse on the outs. Miscommunication and injured feelings all around.

I kinda think Trewlove is trewriffic; clever and eager. She's also startlingly pretty, which shouldn't matter but doesn't hurt.

Slipper baths! So happy the show is back!

I thought Thursday had a son, also?  Thought I remembered him in home scenes in an earlier season.  I'm a little surprised the murderer actually put in the right information to allow the names to come up -- it was him, right? 

And I think everyone posting here knows this, but I'll mention just in case that Miss Frazil is played by the daughter of John Thaw, Abigail Thaw, which is a nice callback to the original series.  And I am a Trewlove fan -- she is a great balance to the brotherhood. 

Did anyone catch the clue/word provided in the end credits?  I forgot they did that until it had started.

Also, these seemed longer than most episodes, and I wonder if they did not cut scenes the way PBS tends to do with most Masterpiece shows from Britain.  This was close to 85 minutes. 

33 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I kinda think Trewlove is trewriffic; clever and eager. She's also startlingly pretty, which shouldn't matter but doesn't hurt.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm very glad Ms. Frazil was saved, I've become quite fond of her.

What is the bug up Thursday that he's so anti-Morse?

Thursday blames Morse for the departure of his daughter. 

• Love 1

I like Trewlove but if she is fluent in one more language or she once was a trapeze artist and it comes in handy in the next episode, I'm going to start eye rolling.

I laughed when Endeavor's face showed more gut wrenching emotion over that "automatic fail," than he's ever shown over death or women.  It rang true for someone who, you know, got the highest score possible on all school exams.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

Where is the Thursday son? or sons?  There was at least one and, pretty sure, he was younger than Joan

7 hours ago, jjj said:

I thought Thursday had a son, also?  Thought I remembered him in home scenes in an earlier season.

Sam left for the army in the last episode of last series.

• Love 2

One more Endeavour episode & the bad taste that's lingered from this summer's MM series (Formerly Known as Grantchester) will be gone. Just love the look of this show, the colors, layered cinematic shots, fashions. Love it all. The writers manage to give us personal drama among the characters (I will NEVER forgive you, however, if you mess up the warm Thursday marriage) without overpowering the puzzle in the story. Bright is becoming my favorite character. He started as a seemingly fussy little man, a marionette of sorts (to me, anyway) but has transformed into a seriously awesome leader. (Think it was the tiger from last season that turned the corner for me). Favorite line of last evening (I paraphrase): "Love and fishing...it always comes down to the one that got away." O yes.

Edited by tootsie
  • Love 5

Thanks -- I meant the clue embedded in the end credits in red letters.  I went back to the credits online, and the letters spell out:  "King's Gambit" -- clever of them to get the apostrophe within the credits! 

5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

The clue and card shown at the end of this episode was The Hangman.

The tribute to Colin Dexter was at the very end.

TG for generous friends who pvr the show so I can watch it!  Saw this episode this morning and I just have to say the cinematography, esp in the opening scenes was such a feast for the eyes. The opening scenes too were so intriguing they immediately got me wondering which parts of the murder/storyline they would belong with. The music at the start was stunning and thanks,Kryptogal, for the info re: Crystal Organ. 

I too am sad to see the distance between Endeavour and Thursday, Some of Thursday's comments to Endeavour made me want to smack Thursday, but Endeavour got his own dig in later so it was good to see him so resilient.  I didn't like Bright at first but ever since the Tiger episode he has become a favorite. This show is so well cast.  I like Trewlove and Frazill. I was very relieved that Frazil  was rescued; she's awesome!   I must say also I really enjoyed the subtle but different play of emotions across Shaun's face in this episode. 

So, are the Freemasons responsible for Endeavour's missing exam?  They severely underestimate Endeavour's tenaciousness if they think that was enough to keep Morse down. Anyway excellent episode and definitely one I would enjoy watching again.

• Love 4

I too am sad to see the distance between Endeavour and Thursday,

Yeah, and when Roger Allam is not happy with you, he's NOT HAPPY.  He does anger very well.

Fun fact from IMDB - James Laurenson was also in the very first episode of Morse. 

• Love 5

Was surprised by the return of this series so soon.  Didn't think we'd get another season until next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Strange colluded with whoever it was who diverted Morse's exams.  Strange has been a smug, arrogant jerk ever since he passed his own exam and was able to trade in his uniform for detective civvies; he hasn't hesitated whenever the occasion arose to rub Morse's face into the fact that Strange now--technically--outranks Morse.

Agree with the Bright love.  The character's really showing some development and fair-mindedness.  Not to mention courage under pressure.

Sad about the Thursday/Morse friction.  Needs to be resolved.

Trewlove's okay with me.  I especially liked how she described and analyzed the chess gambit after that college professor was so condescending to her.

Was thrown a little bit by the Soviet chess master's conversation with Morse where he asked Morse to find his friend's killer.  I thought it would turn out that the death would have some connection with the USSR, but the conversation seems to have been just a plot diversion.  Anyone else think that the chess master's entourage were KGB agents?

• Love 2

I think Morse and Thursday's estrangment is two-sided because Morse has also just -- sledgehammer -- realized he's in love with Joan so he's afraid of being "too interested" or "too concerned" knowing that this will -- entirely separately -- make Thursday go ballistic ... so he can ask Mrs. Thursday "Any word?" only when out of range ... I would guess that Thursday interprets Morse's low mood/awkwardness as guilty-conscience (rather than grief and love-sick) ... ymmv 

Love this show!!!  

I was a little surprised that Morse gave Trewlove the diary to read. Doesn't Morse speak French?  IIRC he was in the French Foreign Legion after leaving Oxford and before joining the police force.

Also, Joan not bothering to send her parents a postcard to let them know she's okay seems like a really awful thing to do.  I hope that gets resolved.

It's not believable to me that Joan wouldn't let her parents know she is OK (assuming she is safe and just wanted to get completely away for a while). At what point do the Thursdays report her as missing? Or would Thursday use police resources to look for her/check on her safety first?

Other than the unbelievability of Joan's silence, I love this show.

Edited by graybrown bird
Spelling.