Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: The Brain In The Bot

WendyCR72

Of note, the presidential address is supposed to air before this, so the start time, per listings, has been pushed back by 10 or so minutes. Either way, if you DVR, you may want to add some extra time in to be safe. The unlock time for this is for 10:10 p.m., as I have estimated. If I'm around, and it ends earlier (doubtful), I will manually unlock.

After discovering the body of a man involved with creating artificial intelligence bots, the team must figure out if the victim’s own artificial intelligent bot was programmed to kill him.

Hi, all. This speech is apparently going on longer than listed. Honestly, I haven't a clue as to whether Fox will be showing this tonight or heading straight to news at 10.

Either way, the thread will remain for the episode for when it does air...

ETA: Per Twitter, Fox says Bones is airing in its entirety whenever the speech wraps up. So extend the DVRs...

I added extra time, but watched 'live' just in case (I think my DVR cut off about a minute after the episode ended, so I would have been okay, but it was close).

Hodgins' model was cool, but how accurate would it have been?  He said he didn't build it, but was using one from an old exhibit that he adapted.  Unless the terrain depicted was the exact area where the body was found, I don't see how useful it could have been.  His ever-drifting eyebrow was kind of amusing, though.

Brennan's surprise party was nice, but I can see something bad on the horizon, with her dad looking sad and Christine picking up what looked like a hospital bracelet and handing it to him.   Everyone might be getting a happy ending except him.  

6 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Knew who was guilty as soon as I recognized Donnie from Orphan Black.

That was actually Max Adler of Glee fame (he played Dave Karovsky). I recognized him because of the other Glee actor in this episode - Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka).  It would have been awesome if it had been Donnie - he's one of my favorite characters!

They do look similiar though, and I played the same game with the Kate Dalton character.  Played by Aasha Davis (who I know as Waverly from Friday Night Lights) but I always get her confused with Kelly McCreary from Grey's Anatomy (Maggie Pierce).

It's a wonder I can ever pay attention to the plot when I'm always trying to figure out the HITGs!

Edited by Hasseltine
  • Love 2

I gave up waiting for the speech to end and went to bed. I did watch it this morning on On-Demand. Not bad. Looks like they are starting to set-up the ending for the show. People getting awards and grants, daddy apparently is now sick. At leas they have the time to end all the story lines.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Hasseltine said:

That was actually Max Adler of Glee fame (he played Dave Karovsky). I recognized him because of the other Glee actor in this episode - Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka).  It would have been awesome if it had been Donnie - he's one of my favorite characters!

They do look similiar though, and I played the same game with the Kate Dalton character.  Played by Aasha Davis (who I know as Waverly from Friday Night Lights) but I always get her confused with Kelly McCreary from Grey's Anatomy (Maggie Pierce).

It's a wonder I can ever pay attention to the plot when I'm always trying to figure out the HITGs!

You are absolutely right, my bad! Thanks!

No Hank?  Not worth casting again with only a few eps left?  lol

Wonder if B and B even share a bed these days...

Do not kill off Max show.  I mean it.

Of course it was Karofsky, a real bully never truly reforms!  I guess Tanaka never got over losing Emma and had to create his own women.

I haven't heard them call it the Angela-tron in forever.  I like it.

No Booth don't buy Bones a chunky necklace because that will just remind me of when you two had chemistry.

I'm so happy "Happy Birthday" has been released to the public domain.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I liked the ideas in this episode more than the actual execution. It was a good counterpoint to the "criminal mastermind" premiere to follow up with an episode in which the killer is the most obvious person and just a drugged-out numbskull. It played out in a pretty much by-the-numbers fashion, though. Same with the Daisy subplot - was there ever any doubt she'd land the position? It would have been more interesting if she hadn't and had to forge a renewed determination out of the uncertainty. And as for Hodgins, shaving off an eyebrow really isn't hilarious unless you're drunk. But the prize for bad execution goes to whatever is going on with Max. One hint would have been enough, but we get multiple fatalistic comments, multiple wistful looks, and in case you still don't get it, audience, he drops a hospital bracelet.

On the plus side, I did enjoy Brennan's birthday bait and switch. She's a grownup now, and would give much less of a damn about her birthday than what's happening with her friends and coworkers. I also liked the continuity of Brennan's reexamining Zack's case file and schooling herself to remain objective after her little slip up last episode, when she asked Wendell only whether there was evidence of Zack's innocence. However, there's curiously nothing on the reactions of the rest of the Jeffersonian crew to what ought to be big news - that they've solved any number of convoluted cases over the years, but missed the boat on one involving one of their own. That begs the question, are they just not showing the reactions, or do the others simply not know yet? Is Brennan holding off telling them and getting them worked up until she finds some glimmer in the evidence that what Zack is saying now is true?

6 hours ago, marascross said:

Same with the Daisy subplot - was there ever any doubt she'd land the position? It would have been more interesting if she hadn't and had to forge a renewed determination out of the uncertainty

I'm glad she got it.  She's been showing plucky resolve and determination for years now...especially with Sweets' death and life as a single mother.  Happy for Dr. Wick.

Dr. Wick still sounds odd to me.  Just like Dr. Fisher does too.  I liked that quirk of Bones, to address them formally until they received their doctorates.  It also amuses me that Jack is Hodgins to her unless she is irritated with him, and then it is Dr. Hodgins in an exasperated tone.

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Dr. Wick still sounds odd to me.  Just like Dr. Fisher does too.  I liked that quirk of Bones, to address them formally until they received their doctorates.  It also amuses me that Jack is Hodgins to her unless she is irritated with him, and then it is Dr. Hodgins in an exasperated tone.

What do you mean, until they received their doctorates? They would have to get doctoral degrees in order to be referred to as 'Doctor', wouldn't they?

I loved Cam's black and white, designer dress and would happily wear Angela's black blouse with the white flying geese print. I think Joan in Elementary had the same blouse except it was white with black geese.

Having come of age in the late 60s and 70s, I seriously doubt someone on LSD would become violent. It would have seemed more realistic to me if the LSD-taking perp noticed a gun lying around and shot the victim expecting him to survive like main characters do on TV.

• Love 3

Haven't seen Bones in a few years. On a shallow note, did Emily gain some weight or have another baby? She looks a bit different. Nice to see Angela get professional recognition. 

I was so glad it was all an act by Brennan. It shows real growth and introspection because she knows she has a reputation for competitiveness and it would easily fool them. Booth's gift was nicely done as well, and sets up what appears to be their final ongoing case. Except they're trying to prove innocence instead of guilt.

It's obvious Max is dying, but in a way that's his happy ending too. I don't think he ever got over the loss of his wife. It's interesting he never remarried, and never seemed to really have a long term relationship. It was always 'lady friends'. In dying, Max may believe he will finally be reunited with the love of his life, so he's ok with that part. He just wants to make sure Tempe will be alright.

I'm enjoying the final chapter, and I admit to getting a bit nostalgic about it coming to an end. If they don't fuck up the ending, I will continue to enjoy the series in Repeat Land.

Don't fuck it up, Show. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LisaM said:

Haven't seen Bones in a few years. On a shallow note, did Emily gain some weight or have another baby? She looks a bit different. Nice to see Angela get professional recognition. 

Emily had a second child some time back.

• Love 1