Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Facing Your Fears

For the skill drill, the recruits must face the foods they fear most by creating a dish that utilizes both their least favorite ingredient as well as a more obscure ingredient not used in everyday cooking.

Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray strive to expand their recruits' culinary horizons to help them in main dish challenge, where they have to spatchcock a Cornish game hen and put their own flavorful twist on a special side dish.

I'm surprised that so many of the contestants still aren't tasting their food as they're cooking it.  Being called out for something needing salt or being too sweet shouldn't be happening now.  Of course, this time part of what they were cooking were their "avoid at all costs" foods.  

• Love 1

Why was Ann so terrified of an eggplant?  And Greg of baby corn?  They both acted like the stuff was crawling with cooties?

By this time it's obvious the females were overplaying the dense act.  Even Mandy doesn't seem like the same loonytune who showed up the first few weeks.  Anne B. seems to save all her vitriol for Daniel.

Who didn't see the Rachael/Ann fakeout at the end coming 10 miles away?

• Love 2

Seriously, Ann was acting like a small child with that eggplant. It's breaded, fried vegetable. She reacted like they were asking her to eat an earthworm. Even if she still doesn't like the taste, she could've taken a much smaller bite than she did and the way she was holding it cautiously away from her you'd think she was expecting some kind of off-putting texture. It made no sense. Be an adult. Eat it. If you still don't like it, say "I still don't like it" after you do and move on. 

The "too sweet" thing I sort of could give a mini-pass. Pros are notoriously anti-sweet so something an average person might like could easily cross the line, and I thought (what's the blonde's name?) had tasted that one. Not that I would've wanted all that maple syrup in there.

• Love 1

I have a friend who's completely "anti-eggplant" (of course, it's one of my favorite vegetables), so I've seen reactions to it like Ann's.  As for Anne's treatment of Daniel, I'm beginning to think that it's all an act.  I suspect that based on who's left, he's going to be her recruit in the finals, and this is her "being tough on him" routine.

5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Seriously, Ann was acting like a small child with that eggplant. It's breaded, fried vegetable. She reacted like they were asking her to eat an earthworm. Even if she still doesn't like the taste, she could've taken a much smaller bite than she did and the way she was holding it cautiously away from her you'd think she was expecting some kind of off-putting texture. It made no sense. Be an adult. Eat it. If you still don't like it, say "I still don't like it" after you do and move on. 

The "too sweet" thing I sort of could give a mini-pass. Pros are notoriously anti-sweet so something an average person might like could easily cross the line, and I thought (what's the blonde's name?) had tasted that one. Not that I would've wanted all that maple syrup in there.

What made it especially annoying was her mocking the others when they wigged out at eating tripe, blood sausage, etc. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

As for Anne's treatment of Daniel, I'm beginning to think that it's all an act.  I suspect that based on who's left, he's going to be her recruit in the finals, and this is her "being tough on him" routine.

I think you're right.  Anne doesn't suffer fools gladly, yet she handled the other dingbats with kid gloves throughtout the competition.

41 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I think you're right.  Anne doesn't suffer fools gladly, yet she handled the other dingbats with kid gloves throughtout the competition.

Daniel did another combo that Anne had done previously. He even commented about doing it. What I don't know is whether they were supposed to be original or not. It's always seemed to me that Anne gets on him for taking shortcuts/the easy way out/copying what he's seen before, and she's gotten on him before for copying her combinations when he's supposed to be doing something original.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, zoltana said:

I still don't understand the problem Chef Ann has with Daniel.  It seems like she's always criticizing him over something.  Even little stuff.  It's uncomfortable.

I think it's overcompensation because Daniel is secretly a ringer or her favorite or both and she's trying to cover it up to make it look like neither is true.

I've suspected that Laura on Rachael's team really knows how to cook too.  Just a hunch I have. 

• Love 4

I've been thinking exactly the same thing ^^^^^ and I'll be very surprised if Daniel and Laura aren't the last two standing.  I'm expecting Daniel to win.  Has there been a male winner since Joshie?  I can't remember.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2017 at 11:18 AM, Maya said:

So Mandy ate an oyster once, threw up for three days, then threw up again four days later. Okaaay...

Sounded like a bad oyster to me, that's what I thought!

Eliza422

MONDAY 07:20 PM

ON 2/13/2017 AT 2:18 PM,  THEATREMOUSE SAID: 

What made it especially annoying was her mocking the others when they wigged out at eating tripe, blood sausage, etc.

Seriously, 1000x this! It was so obnoxious, like she is quite the worldly foodie compared to these provincials. Pffft! She's as bad, if not worse, than any of them and was ridiculous about the eggplant.

I have to confess that I feel a lot like Jeff(?) about baby corn. It's just not natural, the texture is icky and, for my money, it doesn't taste very good! 

• Love 1

I had the feeling that maybe she'd consumed a few too many of Jeff's oyster margaritas, if you get my drift.  She and her friends probably went out for a night of heavy drinking then hit Long John Silver's afterwards.

I'm thinking along the same lines as everybody else with Anne and Daniel. I think she's planning on having him in the finale, but pulling Mandy along just in case he royally screws up next week.  Usually, I'd object to the "going back to your ethnic roots" advice but in this case it was necessary to pull Daniel out of his own head and prevent him from epic failure. 

I also think Laura knows how to cook and will represent the blue team in the finale.  Maybe she had the skills but they got long ago neglected and rusty when she went to law school, started practicing, etc.??

Ann's repulsion by the eggplant was asinine. Eggplant has such a mild flavor and takes on the essence of however you prepare it.  The only think I could think of to cause such a strong negative reaction was that maybe Ann had eaten eggplant before that was unripe, unsalted and very bitter. That still doesn't seem bad enough to cause her to recoil in fear like that. Although, most of that was probably producer-inspired.

• Love 1

I don't like eggplant, either, but have never had - and would never have - that kind of reaction to it. 

I don't like baby corn, either.  Otherwise, I think I liked everyone's dreaded ingredients.

I saw the first episode, and then saw some of this episode because as I was going around the dial while a friend was visiting, she saw Daniel and noted that she knows him.  So I stopped to see if I remembered him from the other episode I'd seen; I sort of did, and looked up my post here to see I'd referred to him as Mr. Mansplain.

This might shed some light on why Anne doesn't like him - if, indeed, she doesn't; this show is so hideously fake, who knows - because my friend (who knows him via professional association) says he is a sexist asshat.  So if the whiff I got from him during that one appearance and my friend's impression of him are accurate, that doesn't sound like the kind of person Anne would suffer gladly.

• Love 3

First close-up of the Reuben... flies on the plate. Good looking out, editors.

On 2/14/2017 at 11:18 AM, Maya said:

So Mandy ate an oyster once, threw up for three days, then threw up again four days later. Okaaay...

That was a clam. (*Oysters are the ones you put in margaritas.)

• Love 3
On 2/17/2017 at 10:44 PM, grisgris said:

Ann's repulsion by the eggplant was asinine. Eggplant has such a mild flavor and takes on the essence of however you prepare it.  The only think I could think of to cause such a strong negative reaction was that maybe Ann had eaten eggplant before that was unripe, unsalted and very bitter. That still doesn't seem bad enough to cause her to recoil in fear like that. Although, most of that was probably producer-inspired.

I can understand the texture putting someone off more than the taste. Especially if it wasn't freshly prepared. Someone who likes chicken parmesan could easily try a badly-made eggplant parm and go "Oh this is too mushy and slimy. Never again eggplant for me!"