Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Frozen Freak Out

Mentors Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray help the recruits break out of their shell by starting with the most important meal of the day: breakfast.

First, the teams get cracking in a game that will get their hands messy and show how much they know about the many different egg dishes.

The mentors then bring the day full circle in the main dish challenge by teaching the recruits how to ditch frozen microwave meals and create a home-cooked dinner that will have their friends and family coming back for more.

This episode wasn't that bad.  Just like I think there should be an age limit for at least 13 for Chopped Jr., and Kids Baking Championship, there should also be an age limit of no one over 65 competing.  They have all been complete failures and just can't keep up, Barbara Eden being a prime example and the 2 on the chopping block this episode.  I don't remember any older contestants being successful.  Competing on Chopped and other shows within their age group is okay, especially since they can cook, but on this show it needs to stop.

• Love 1

That's kind of a broad statement, steven T. Jetta, Lester and Stephen are in no way representative of people over 65. There are plenty of seniors who aren't good cooks and would be able to do well on this show. It's just that most of them aren't willing to act like ditzes to be on TV. The show opts for people who make entertaining television over people who would be competent competitors. It's not that the show needs an age limit; it's that it needs to pick people who are aren't steretypes, regardless of their ages.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Love 12

trust me, i know older people can cook, but on this show I see nothing from them.  If they can't cook by now, this show is proof there is no help for them. there is nothing with eating out or delivery.

What always irks me is when these fools act like they've never heard of so many dishes and we get the tiresome pronunciation gaffe montage.

I can understand a lot of people not knowing how to cook, but these morons still *eat*. Even the most basic of restaurants have dishes inspired by other cuisines, especially Mexican inspired dishes.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, steven T said:

Just like I think there should be an age limit for at least 13 for Chopped Jr., and Kids Baking Championship, there should also be an age limit of no one over 65 competing.  They have all been complete failures and just can't keep up

Julia Child was cooking into her 80s.  Jacques Pepin is in his 80s and is still cooking.  It's not about age.

I call foul on whoever it was who was wiping their plate before presenting.  That's not something a novice cook would think to do.  

• Love 6

This episode really emphasized the 'roles' that the contestants are playing.  Way over the top.  As an 'ahem' older person myself, I cringe at the empty headed older contestants.  However, other portrayals are just as insulting-the woman eliminated from Rachel's team was very cliche in her upbeat '50s persona, the winning cook on Anne's team had his 'bad boy' persona in full view, etc.  Do they all think that they will become a breakout star on the Food Network?  Nevertheless, I will continue to watch...

• Love 6
9 hours ago, steven T said:

trust me, i know older people can cook, but on this show I see nothing from them.  If they can't cook by now, this show is proof there is no help for them. there is nothing with eating out or delivery.

I do see the point you're making. It's not that older people can't cook. It's that a 65yo who never learned is more likely to have an actual reason for it than a 25yo who never learned. However, I have to agree with the others that this is a minor issue compared to the show's use of caricatures.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, steven T said:

This episode wasn't that bad.  Just like I think there should be an age limit for at least 13 for Chopped Jr., and Kids Baking Championship, there should also be an age limit of no one over 65 competing.  They have all been complete failures and just can't keep up, Barbara Eden being a prime example and the 2 on the chopping block this episode.  I don't remember any older contestants being successful.  Competing on Chopped and other shows within their age group is okay, especially since they can cook, but on this show it needs to stop.

Cooking shows are notorious for not picking people that accurately represent their age, gender, race, etc.  They are especially bad at representing older people and usually choose them based on entertainment value, not any potential talent.  It constantly chaps my hide in a major way because it reinforces negative (and untrue) stereotypes, such as "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".  Or that older people are not smart, together, savvy, whatever. Bullshit.  They get away with it because not enough people complain about it and unfortunately in our culture it's still not politically incorrect to reinforce negative stereotypes about older people.

Speaking of Julia Child, she didn't even start her culinary school training until she was 37.  Before that she didn't know much about cooking at all.  She didn't even start her first TV show until she was 50.

That said, I watched Julia's first TV show with my mother.  I was all of 5 years old when it came on the air but I loved it right away.  I learned a lot about cooking from my mother (and Julia) but I never actually became a cook until I was in my mid 30s.  Before that I made a ton of amateur mistakes that I should have known better not to make given my exposure to great cooking at home.  I guess I was a late bloomer that way and suddenly found my natural talent later than a lot of people would have in my situation. 

I am sure this show could find people with raw talent like that.  My own best friend, who is now 58 could actually qualify for "Worst Cooks" but I see glimmers of a natural talent in her that has never been developed.  Every once in a while she comes out with a dish that amazes me.  She made a Shepherd's pie a few months ago that got raves from everyone in her office (she brought it to a potluck) and I'm sure they weren't just being nice.

• Love 5

Ann & Rachel must be giving their teams a lot more instruction that we don't see, especially on using the knives.  Otherwise, how would the contestants know about the "wave" rocking motion to use when chopping things?  

Seems that most of the contestants are settling down a bit, perhaps realizing that, in order to stay around longer, they have to actually produce something that's edible.  Still the "pretty boy" who keeps cutting himself, the woman with the poodle hair, and a couple others still bug me.

• Love 1

Ann & Rachel must be giving their teams a lot more instruction that we don't see, especially on using the knives. 

It's been said during previous seasons that the contestants do receive quite a bit of instruction prior to filming.  Obviously, some are quicker on the uptake than others.  

Another comment about age..................... We very often see cooks citing their grandmothers as the person who taught them to cook or at least influenced them.  If we see a picture, grandma is usually older.

Yeah, I can't stand the woman with the poodle hair but it's not because of her age; it's because of the character she is playing. And I have to hope the guy who said he tried to make scrambled eggs once but they were both burned and raw was also speaking in character. I've been making scrambled eggs since I was like 8 and I learned from a mother who could not cook. It's not rocket surgery. I wish this show would calm down and de-emphasize the reality show character crap.

• Love 7

Sweet Jesus.  I wanted something mindless with which to distract myself tonight, without having to expend the energy to get up and pop in a DVD.  Options were limited, so I settled on this.

If these people were truly inept in the kitchen (instead of straight out of Central Casting with who knows what for culinary skills), they'd eat out more than the average person.  So, while they may not know how to cook the various egg dishes, they, as a group, should be able to identify most of them.  And, you know, pronounce "tortilla."

Mr. Mansplain should be tossed in the dumpster out back, so of course he comes in first on his team. 

I hate potatoes, and don't much care for meatloaf, so I wanted nothing to do with those dishes.  The enchiladas made me hungry, though (minus the crema, as I also dislike sour cream).

All this did was remind me why I rejected this show long ago.

• Love 1