Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: How to Be an American

And he's been a member since he was 2!  Loved Eddie putting all the the presets back to their assorted jazz stations, and Grandma with the closet of blackmail Polaroids was great!  (Eddie's "pretend you don't understand Mandarin and back away" was funny, too.)

That last story about Louis's phone number was so sweet.  Interesting how Jessica kept turning him down because she wanted to get her visa situation sorted first, when it turned out she had to go the green-card marriage route, anyway. 

The citizenship guy was fun.  I loved his excitement at being one of the white people inserted into Jessica's story (but of course she changed it to his brother - oh, Jessica.)

• Love 10

Very good ep. I loved Doug, the citizenship guy. So funny when the coworker kept whispering to him, which turned out to be about lunch. 

Grandma's blackmail was great. So many photos. However, the boys needed an olfactory freshener because they wouldn't be able to tell one from the other after a bit. Nose blind, I think it's called in a commercial. I just used to say, "My olfactories are full." I mean, doesn't everyone?

Anyway, the flashbacks were great. It was fun learning how everything connected.

The final scene of Jessica taking the oath actually choked me up.

• Love 11

It bugged me how Eddie kept doing 2-3 sprays every time. It's totally unnecessary if they're just testing, would add to how overwhelming it was with them doing them in quick succession and is a waste since surely one spritz is enough when you're not even trying to put it on, just get a sense. (I mean, really, they could've gone the dab a drop route for that but I'll give them the comical visual of Eddie spritzing in front of Emery in the first place, but double and triple spritzes, I will not abide.)

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

She didn't care if they could appreciate the smells, though, did she? She was just tormenting them and getting the black mail photos.

I thought she wanted them to organize the perfumes by smell or theme, like flowery scents go here, spicy scents go there, etc.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I thought she wanted them to organize the perfumes by smell or theme, like flowery scents go here, spicy scents go there, etc.

That was her rouse ro get the photos.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

She already had the photo of the boys with AAA, so she wouldn't need any other photos of them. 

She would so she could later use pictures of the boys spraying perfume to get them to do someting else.  The inside door of tjat closet was covered in polaroids of Jessica and Louis being caught doing various things.  

Why would photographic evidence of them spraying perfume in her room be a threat? I think she was just taking pictures of them to commemorate their humiliation. After all, at the beginning of the ep they were supposed to help her organize her perfumes, but they walked away from her as if they didn't understand.

• Love 1

Loved that the AAA guy not-so-subtly tipped them off about resetting the car to the primary driver's settings. Who knew Eddie would remember all the smooth/cool jazz stations? 

Jessica's harshness can make the show nearly unwatchable, so I'm always glad when they give her softer moments. 

• Love 3

I recently watched Happy Endings for the first time on Hulu, and Dave was the only character I didn't particularly care for, but I LOVED Zachary Knighton as the immigration officer (and his brother).

I loved that the immigration officer was so eager to approve Jessica's application and so happy for her when he did. It was a nice change from the stock sitcom character of immigration officer who wants to deport everyone immediately.

One new episode and then tonight's a rerun? Boo.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

I think the show was pre-empted in the eastern half of the US.  Probably also explains why this week there is both the regular TUES 9PM airing and a special WED 8PM airing.  They may have needed to "catch up" in order to air certain episodes in sync with the calendar.

• Love 2
On 1/5/2017 at 0:01 AM, peeayebee said:

She already had the photo of the boys with AAA, so she wouldn't need any other photos of them. 

That photo only works as blackmail if you threaten to show it to the parents. Eddie's friends would probably think it's cool that he tried to steal the car. The perfume photo, now that's one Eddie wouldn't want his friends to see. Grandma wants to cover all the bases. I hope she's got a lock on her closet door!

On 1/5/2017 at 10:20 PM, Michel said:

Evan's screams every time something went wrong for the boys were my everything.

I was wearing headphones, so his screams were most unwelcome.

I only got around to watching this one last night. I didn't love it, but boy did that last scene make me tear up.