Type keyword(s) to search

Well, That Wouldn't Work Now: Things From Movies That Are Outdated or No Longer Politically Correct

• Start Topic

On 9/25/2023 at 7:39 AM, BlueSkies said:

I think Andy’s situation in that movie might not seem as uncommon today.  I might be off as well but a lot of older adults probably still live at home due to economic fears.  Plus that and Covid happened.  And anxiety disorders and mental disorders have seemingly been on the rise for a while

I don't think Andy lived at home- he had his own apartment. That was just full of nerdy toys, with the implication being that he can afford that because he's not in a relationship or raising kids. Still, I think it's reasonable that more people are not starting up relationships these days. I'm getting close to 40 and I have no prospects. (Nor do I really care, though.) 

• Like 3

I just realized that an Officer and A Gentlemen wouldn't get made now because the zeitgeist is against women dreaming of marrying a man who can whisk her away into life better than what her dead end small town can offer. Although I guess they could always try a gender flip like Overboard did? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I just realized that an Officer and A Gentlemen wouldn't get made now because the zeitgeist is against women dreaming of marrying a man who can whisk her away into life better than what her dead end small town can offer. Although I guess they could always try a gender flip like Overboard did? 

I think audiences would be more offended by the implication that all the town girls were scheming to get pregnant by the cadets so they can trap them into marriage.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I think audiences would be more offended by the implication that all the town girls were scheming to get pregnant by the cadets so they can trap them into marriage.

I don't think that the implication was that "all" girls would do that, just the one in the story.  Paula was disgusted by what she did.  What I do know is that my dad was in the Navy and married my mom while he was still in and they both found the movie realistic based on what they saw around base.  But, that was back in 1966 to about 1970.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't think that the implication was that "all" girls would do that, just the one in the story.  Paula was disgusted by what she did.  What I do know is that my dad was in the Navy and married my mom while he was still in and they both found the movie realistic based on what they saw around base.  But, that was back in 1966 to about 1970.

Yeah but didn't Lou Gosset Jr give this big speech to the cadets warning them about the townie/factory girls and how they could get their hooks into them?

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah but didn't Lou Gosset Jr give this big speech to the cadets warning them about the townie/factory girls and how they could get their hooks into them?

Remember in the early 80s without aviators becoming POWs or worse the economy of yhe time saw a cadet thinking his only option was the family small business and Mayo crying that he had nowhere else go if the Navy didn't take him

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, I remember that line, but not the exact words.  If they made it today, they'd have to change it to "some" women, as well as changing a few other things. 

• Like 2

While the Officer and a Gentleman Officers Club scene seemed more real than the Top Gun club a few years later it does point to how we painted the interactions with Asians as opposed to American and European women in US war movies.

An outlier being in Fury with having the new guy go with the German girl or the others would rape her and leave some eggs to call it prostitution to themselves 

2 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I don’t think Officer and a Gentleman would stick out in the age of The Bachelor. Isn’t there a Netflix movie about a woman marrying some military guy for his health insurance benefits?

Purple Hearts (2022)

• Like 1

They did a homage to Save the Last Dance on SNL- and it made me wonder...would that plot be done today? Pretty much every contemporary modern romantic teen movie I've seen does not treat interracial dating as a big deal. Hell, even recent period movies set in the 80's or 90's take a "we don't see color at all!" approach. I could also see people not vibing with the stereotypical depiction of black women that veered towards being negative. (The sister is a teen mom, the ex-gf doesn't like seeing "one of the few good black men" going to a white girl.) Then there's the cultural appropriation question as well as centering a white girl in a black culture. I guess you could change Sarah to not being white, but at that point it's not really Save the Last Dance. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3

There’s Work It starring Sabrina Carpenter and Jordan Fisher.

I actually could see a remake of Save the Last Dance about a black girl who moves to a fancy school after the loss of her parent. She is a hip hop dancer protege and meets a white guy (or girl?) who gives her basic ballet training.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, memememe76 said:

There’s Work It starring Sabrina Carpenter and Jordan Fisher.

I actually could see a remake of Save the Last Dance about a black girl who moves to a fancy school after the loss of her parent. She is a hip hop dancer protege and meets a white guy (or girl?) who gives her basic ballet training.

Flashdance.

• Like 2

I legitimately thought we were done with this trope but here we are:

I'm assuming there's going to be some kind of twist, but please- can we please let the whole trope of having underage/barely legal girls making eyes at men twice their age die with the 1990's?

At least they didn't cast an actual teenager here. So that's an improvement over the Crush!

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
On 12/15/2023 at 5:07 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I legitimately thought we were done with this trope but here we are:

I'm assuming there's going to be some kind of twist, but please- can we please let the whole trope of having underage/barely legal girls making eyes at men twice their age die with the 1990's?

At least they didn't cast an actual teenager here. So that's an improvement over the Crush!

I watched this on Netflix and UGH. The movie waffles between putting the blame on her for being a scheming liar and him for not establishing proper boundaries. But  yeah, it’s basically her being the woman scorned, and we’re supposed to still feel sorry for him for getting sucked into the situation because his wife is supposedly a cold bitch. I seriously want to know what the filmmakers were thinking.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2024 at 6:20 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I watched this on Netflix and UGH. The movie waffles between putting the blame on her for being a scheming liar and him for not establishing proper boundaries. But  yeah, it’s basically her being the woman scorned, and we’re supposed to still feel sorry for him for getting sucked into the situation because his wife is supposedly a cold bitch. I seriously want to know what the filmmakers were thinking.

Ugh will not be watching. 

This movie fits the thread category even though it was just made now!  

• Like 2