Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: And the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Baird-centric group episode.  So far the best episode of the season.     I always do love Baird episodes especially the ones that deal with her importance as Guardian.  That she has a destiny important enough that a goddess could use to counteract her own.  Mostly I like the idea that The Guardian protects the Librarians. The Library protects the Guardian.  Which works for me.   

As for minor characters they all worked for me.  I liked the Principal and the swimmer guy.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

^^ I agree, definitely the best of the season so far. I personally like the show so much better without Flynn, and this was a good showcase ep for Baird - I really enjoy her as the de facto lead. Yet it also managed to be a solid team ep, and everyone got a moment to show their stuff. Also appreciated that they did such a good job of balancing humor with the life and death stuff.

Jenkins got to come along for the ride! That always makes me happy. And it was Interesting to see them really dive into the intricacies of prophecies, too.

Line of the night: "Bite me, Zeus!" (I might have to steal that, lol)

(that had to be the same pool from Leverage when Eliot and Hardison met Moreau, right? OR am I so Leverage-starved that I'm imagining it? And it looks like next week they film at the carnival from the Carnival Job)

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 8

YES EVE!

It seemed to me that prophecies were a bunch of garbage because in the end, yeah. Also Eve is awesome. Which has nothing to with me and RM being the same age and also left handed, and I love her. Honestly, I would have just cracked the hourglass against the wall. Prophecy is a guess that ended up right. When it's not, it's a metaphor. 

Good for the Librarians stepping up to sacrifice themselves, but we learn that this Guardian is even more valuable. 

• Love 4

I noticed early on that the janitor or whatever wasn't at the pool when they all got taken, so I figured she was involved somehow.  Didn't predict that she was the Oracle and had actually trapped them all in a prophecy box, in order to get Baird back to the library, in order to full the prophecy.  Crafty!

Fun episode.  Always enjoy when Baird gets to carry the episode, and I like how she really is the glue that holds the team together, and truly takes her job as The Guardian seriously.  Equally, I like how Ezekiel and Jake were willing to sacrifice themselves to save her.  They're really become a little, wacky family now.

Jenkins and Cassandra was a fun pairing.

Ezekiel having to use all of the coins he stole as a way to get out Zeus' trap was hilarious.  Oh, Ezekiel.

I like that the principal wasn't evil, and while full of himself, it really did seem like he was just doing what he could to turn the school around.

• Love 9

So many good things about this episode. But my favorite was Ezekiel & his gold coins vs. the wrath of Zeus. That whole bit was awesome and hilarious. They should always pair off Jones and Stone - best comedic pairing in the show. "My beautiful innocent gold!" First time I've heard gold referred to as innocent, lol. Ezekiel was so offended by Zeus. That high school student was great, as well.

Another great episode with Flynn. I like Flynn on his own, but not on this show.

I adore this fluffy fun show.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 6

Is it just me or was the Oracle's "prophecy-breaking plan" kind of bullshit.  The other two prophecy-breakers followed internal logic.

Prophecy A "The Oracle will be murdered by one of her 33 priestesses" negated by "The Oracle will marry (and then murder) each of her 33 priestess."  If she kills them all before one of them kills her, the prophecy is negated (though you'd think that after dead priestess 10 or 11, the other would start to smell a rat).

Prophecy C: "Eve Baird will be slain by the Reaper in the Library when the hourglass sands run out." is negated by Dooring the cube and Eve and the Reaper to Australia.  Since the Reaper must take a victim, it took the Oracle.  All fine there.

Prophecy B: "The Oracle shall die after she last bathes in the waters of Delphi." will supposedly be negated by "Eve Baird's death will release thwarted destiny energy and all the Oracle to avert her death."  That's just kind of silly.  I wish they tightened it up a little with "Eve Baird will witness the death of the Oracle of Delphi, which will come after she last bathes in the waters of Delphi." 

• Love 4

Never really convinced that being super cool and bad ass makes you the most important person in the world, as opposed to, you know, being competent at actual skills. So for me the discovery Baird is the most important person in the world is like finding out Charlene was always much more important than Judson. Okay, if you say so.

Liked the director telling the actress to tone down Cassandra's chipmunk voice. We get she's goofy, we see how she's dressed! 

Jones is amusing but he's incompetent. And they've established he's a thief with a heart of gold but still, this guy is not a Librarian. 

The problem with not having Flynn around is that the chief librarian should be addressing the big problems or the library doesn't make any sense at all. If this wasn't really a farce, this would really screw up the continuing story line. But you do have to wonder why they insist on having one when they can't do it justice?

• Love 2

I like how Cassandra dresses.  I actually looked this time and I liked her shirt. It's something I've seen people older then her wear into my office. Her skirt is a little short but not that short.  I was thinking I was missing her wearing  a onesie and carrying a hello kitty backpack.  I saw nothing wrong with her outfit.  It just wasn't tv chic.  

As for Baird being important or the Guardian being important.  No one ever said Charlene was more impythen Judson.  I think it's a case of Bairds destiny outwaying that of the Library itself.  Although I don't ship them I think Baird and Finn are the new Carlene and Judson they are the ones who will change what the Library is.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, waving feather said:

So many good things about this episode. But my favorite was Ezekiel & his gold coins vs. the wrath of Zeus. That whole bit was awesome and hilarious. They should always pair off Jones and Stone - best comedic pairing in the show. "My beautiful innocent gold!" First time I've heard gold referred to as innocent, lol. Ezekiel was so offended by Zeus. That high school student was great, as well.

Another great episode with Flynn. I like Flynn on his own, but not on this show.

I adore this fluffy fun show.

They were the best part of the episode. So funny.

• Love 2

Pretty much all has been said, but I really enjoy Baird and Jenkins together. Calling him "Skippy" and having that pay off at the end was great. I also have no problem w/ Baird being so important. On a show like this, almost always someone will have that title / burden and it would seem wrong if it was one of the three no-longer-so-newbies.

• Love 4
On 12.12.2016 at 9:56 AM, johntfs said:

Is it just me or was the Oracle's "prophecy-breaking plan" kind of bullshit.  The other two prophecy-breakers followed internal logic.

Prophecy A "The Oracle will be murdered by one of her 33 priestesses" negated by "The Oracle will marry (and then murder) each of her 33 priestess."  If she kills them all before one of them kills her, the prophecy is negated (though you'd think that after dead priestess 10 or 11, the other would start to smell a rat).

Prophecy C: "Eve Baird will be slain by the Reaper in the Library when the hourglass sands run out." is negated by Dooring the cube and Eve and the Reaper to Australia.  Since the Reaper must take a victim, it took the Oracle.  All fine there.

Prophecy B: "The Oracle shall die after she last bathes in the waters of Delphi." will supposedly be negated by "Eve Baird's death will release thwarted destiny energy and all the Oracle to avert her death."  That's just kind of silly.  I wish they tightened it up a little with "Eve Baird will witness the death of the Oracle of Delphi, which will come after she last bathes in the waters of Delphi." 

Plot logic was never this show's strong side. The Oracle also claimed that in order to keep her powers she had to bathe daily in sacred waters. The pool at Mayfield High was hardly sacred - it only became sacred/magic after she had been in the water.

Really enjoyed this Baird-centered episode. She really functions very well as the leader. RR fits this role well.

Also enjoyed seeing Stone and Ezekiel using the beloved coins to get through the electric maze. Good pairing - as was Jenkins and Cassandra.

Skippy! Loved how this saved the day.

• Love 3

I like that the principal wasn't evil, and while full of himself, it really did seem like he was just doing what he could to turn the school around

I thought it was funny (and maybe prophetic) the principal would pause and then say "no, you're not Mrs. Jenkins" whenever the skippy group would tell him they are The Librarians. Is it coincidence the Oracle choose to come to this particular high school and the school librarian's name is Mrs. Jenkins?

The pool at Mayfield High was hardly sacred - it only became sacred/magic after she had been in the water.

I thought it was magic because Tyson was filling the pool with water he brought back from Parnassus (sp?).

Did the Oracle really think that spray bottle would have enough water to keep her wet until Baird died? Did the Oracle have to go and be a James Bond villain and expose away her motives and Eve's destiny? Though, her explanation about Eve's future role was very vague and general. Guess it gives the writers a lot of wiggle room if the show is renewed again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, snuffles said:

Did the Oracle really think that spray bottle would have enough water to keep her wet until Baird died? 

Well if you want to be technical it did. It didn't run out of water until after the sand had run out on the hour glass which was when Baird should have been killed.  She had JUST enough water to keep her wet for just enough time.  

1 hour ago, snuffles said:

Did the Oracle have to go and be a James Bond villain and expose away her motives and Eve's destiny? Though, her explanation about Eve's future role was very vague and general. Guess it gives the writers a lot of wiggle room if the show is renewed again.

All villians are "James Bond" villians on these types of shows. It's actually part of the schtick.  And yeah Eves roll has been equally vague and overt.  She dies a lot but she's very important.  My gues (and this is just a guess and NOT a spoiler) is she is somewhere somehow going to become immortal like Jenkins. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
On 14.12.2016 at 6:36 PM, snuffles said:

I thought it was magic because Tyson was filling the pool with water he brought back from Parnassus (sp?).

That was Cassandra and Jenkins' theory but it's not confirmed by the dialogue between the Oracle and the crew.  The prophetic powers in the pool-water came from the Oracle taking her bath there. The water Tyson brought back from Mt. Parnassus just added the prophecy/curse she was trying to flee hence her need to break the prophecy. Here's the piece of dialogue between her and the librarians and Baird:

If only I'd stayed clear of the waters of Delphi I could have avoided all of this. But destiny has a way of catching up with you.

So you ran from Greece?

To Seattle. What could be further away? I still had to bathe daily in sacred waters to maintain my power, but as long as they weren't the waters of Delphi I would be just fine.

You were the source of power in the lake water at Delphi. And since you're bathing in the High School swimming pool...

I filled it with the powers of prophecy.

The water at the high school became only magic/sacred/filled with prophecy once she had taken her bath there - not before. One could argue that what she meant by her need of a daily bath in sacred water was that she had to re-soak every day in her own bath-water (eww) and that in order to get there she had to take a first bath in not-sacred water but that does not really chime with what was said before.

It's possible I'm overthinking this...

• Love 1

Prophecy B: "The Oracle shall die after she last bathes in the waters of Delphi."

So she ran away from the waters of Delphi.  Bathing in the pool imbued the water with prophetic powers, but it was still the waters of Seattle.  She was fine until some water from Mt Parnassus was added to the pool.  That's when she had to come up with a "bigger" prophecy.

• Love 3