Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Taming of the Dads

When Louis said that Jessica had been called for jury duty due to her recent citizenship application, I immediately thought "doesn't that seem wrong to you? You know that non-citizens can't vote. Why would you think they can serve on juries? 

I believe that potential juries are drawn from the Driver License database and that if Jessica had actually read the summons, it would have stated that she needed to be over 18 and a citizen in order to serve.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

I think this episode did a great job of neatly packing in several good stories, with Jessica's jury duty, the dads' bromance, Eddie and his girlfriend's challenges, and Evan and Emory's Tamagatchi experience. These cracked me up:

• The kids' expressions when their dads were having a Spin Doctors jam
  • The Tamagotchi named Jerry Orbach (R.I.P. Tamagotchi Jerry and real Jerry)
  • Grandma's excitement over the latest copy of Zoobooks and its story about "panda birds"
  • Evan's reading of Too $hort as "Too dollar sign hort" (I wonder if "Too dollar hort" was an option from the writers but deemed too racy)
  • The jury duty PSA from Gail O'Grady

The kids on this show continue to amaze me with their acting skills -- relaxed delivery and good comedic timing.

Edited by CoolWhipLite
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I believe that potential juries are drawn from the Driver License database and that if Jessica had actually read the summons, it would have stated that she needed to be over 18 and a citizen in order to serve.

Plus, I don't know how it works in every state, but ever time I've been to jury duty before I could even get close to a courtroom and being asked questions about possible bias, they have you fill out a paper form that lists all disqualifying stuff, ticky box style and one is about being a citizen. So she should've been excused back in the room when she wanted out. Way before even being called into court. Unless she didn't read that entire page or listen to the "they warn you three times to read the whole thing and tick if necessary before handing it back in".

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

I am the same age as Alison, Romeo + Juliet did come out in the fall (I went and saw it for my birthday in early November) and it was my favourite movie ever, at the time. That was the most relatable thing this show has ever done!

So many amazing nostalgia moments here. Those boys need to exhume that Tamagotchi and sell it for profit. Those were big deals  that Christmas. They could buy something nice with that money. Two Princes, Zoobooks and LA Law hit me in my 90s place.

Jessica wanting to be Jury Boss was so perfect it hurt. Of course she'd want authority and of course she is way too opinionated to get it right. I love that her bribe to the other jurors were oranges. Of course she wouldn't actually serve but it was a fun way to go all the same.

• Love 8

Itcouldbeworse and Theatremouse, I agree with you that it would be obvious that Jessica would be disqualified from serving on a jury.  Knowing Jessica, that makes it all the more funny.  She was either so excited that she couldn't read the whole thing, or read it and was excited enough to go down there anyway.

Don't ever change, Jessica!

Vibeology,  I really liked your line:  " Two Princes, Zoobooks and LA Law hit me in my 90s place."

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 3

Loved the fathers bomance! So daggy and in character of Louis and so cute. 

I really enjoyed all 3 plots.  Like someone mentioned above they do a great job of managing plots for a 20 min show. 

I love the way Jessica is written. She's nuts and pretty aggro but so funny and damn likeable.

Hehe I had a green tamagotchi just like the boys and I was heaps older.

Space Jam!!!!! I took my (then) 6 year old little sister to see that. 

• Love 3

Oh the 90s nostalgia! I was a 90s kid, but a lot of the stuff they reference here weren't really things I was into (I was nine in the year 2000, so I kind of missed Tupac), but here? Space Jam! Romeo and Juliet! TAMAGOTCH! I was obsessed with my tamagotchi when I was a kid, I was devastated when I accidentally lost it and he died. I made my dad get me another. 

Really liked all the plots, I am always impressed that they manage to get so many characters and stories into 25 minutes. I hope Louis and Allison's dad can meet up again. They're two princes!

• Love 3

I didn't like Jessica in this. It made sense that she'd want to be jury boss, but I just found her annoying.

I liked Even and Emery with their Tamagotchi. My favorite scene was when they were taking it for a stroll, and the two neighborhood moms stopped to chat and were into it just as much.

• Love 7
On 12/9/2016 at 4:33 PM, evilmindatwork said:

No, I really wanted Louis to remain friends with Alison's dad! I really hope that they bring that character back. I want Louis to have a friend. 

I would like to see them back together too. But for this episode their sacrifice was the best part.