Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: A Dark Day

Chas411
  • Start Topic

AN EXPLOSION AT A CHICAGO HOSPITAL ROCKS THE CITY–CROSSOVER EPISODE CONCLUDES THE FOLLOWING EVENING ON "CHICAGO P.D."¬–Lt. Casey (Jesse Spencer) and Dawson (Monica Raymund) volunteer to help at a charity run at Chicago Medical when a massive explosion sends Chicago into chaos. With one of their own missing in the blast, the firehouse is tested like never before. Taylor Kinney, Lauren German, Charlie Barnett, David Eigenberg, Yuri Sardarov, Joe Minoso, Christian Stolte and Eamonn Walker star. Jason Beghe, Jon Seda, Jesse Lee Soffer, Sophia Bush, LaRoyce Hawkins, Marina Squerciati, Dylan Baker, Amanda Righetti and Christine Evangelista guest star.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/04/nbc-primetime-schedule-sunday-april-27.html

I'm looking forward to Rafferty's return and assuming this episode will give us a glimpse of the potential Chicago Med spin off.

Edited by stacey
Added original airdate to title

I am really upset that we will be forced to watch the rest of this episode via Chicago PD.  I absolutely refuse to watch that show and promote the idea that the psychopath officer is a hero of some sort; he isn't.  He needs to go away.  Please, wrap up an episode WITHIN the confines of the show, thanks very much.

That was....that was...that was GOOD! The one crossover I have ever cared about. I'll have to remember to tune in to PD tomorrow.

How isn't Casey comatose yet what with all the head trauma?

• Love 2

Really, Shay? You get punctured by a metal pole and think it's a good idea to keep walking around for who knows how long? Until you keel over? That's so brave. Except not. SO STUPID! It kind of ruined the rest of the episode for me, because every time she showed up on screen, with more and more haggard makeup, I couldn't focus on the program. I was too annoyed with how stupid she was acting. Ugh.

And I still refuse to be coerced into watching Chicago PD. I hate Voigt, and I hate Falsone (oops, Antonio). I'll read on the internet about how it turns out. Got a kick out of how they can't even promote the next Chicago Fire, because they're stuck promoting Chicago PD instead. Ridiculous.

• Love 1

Bravo, el perro fumando!

You perfectly said what I was feeling about Chicago PD.  I wasn't even sure what that obnoxious cop's name was, only watched the show once and regretted it intensely.  We will be reading on the internet what happened to the characters we REALLY care about in Chicago Fire.

Great episode! Loved Mills telling the Chief "with all due respect...shut up!" Nice seeing Dylan Baker again. I'm worried that Im might be brain dead, leading to her liver being donated to Zoe. I don't want either one to die. Looking forward to PD!

I think I missed something. Chief said they lost one of their own but I didn't notice one of the red shirts dying. Overall I liked it and I did finally get around to watching PD so I guess I'll get the wrap up then.

That was pretty good but what's up with Casey? He seemed a little off in the beginning and then he got hit on the head not once but twice. I thought his doctor said he couldn't have anymore head trama? Gaby directly mentioned his head injury in the beginning so I'm assuming something will happen with him in the crossover? I'll watch Chicago PD to see what happends but I agree, I hate that half of the season of Chicago Fire was used to prop up Chicago PD and refuse to watch that show beyond this crossover.

Millahnna, I think the Chief said they found one of their own. Meaning they were able to save Gaby.

Edited by t7686

Ok, I'm no organ transplant expert, but isn't the liver one of those organs that can use a living donor? Meaning, if Burgess' niece needs a liver, can't Burgess donate a piece of her own to the child in the event of an emergency like this? Or can't they do it between adult and child?

• Love 1

Ok, I'm no organ transplant expert, but isn't the liver one of those organs that can use a living donor? Meaning, if Burgess' niece needs a liver, can't Burgess donate a piece of her own to the child in the event of an emergency like this? Or can't they do it between adult and child?

Burgess offered to donate but she was A and her niece was O.  Burgess then went on to say she could not get a hold of any of her family.

That was a MASSIVE explosion, with many injuries... so I'm glad they spent so many resources on Dawson.

Seriously. Come on, show. I like Gabby and I love the actress. Give us something that doesn't annoy us, writers.

• Love 1

That was a MASSIVE explosion, with many injuries... so I'm glad they spent so many resources on Dawson.

lol right? The whole time I kept thinking, that's a lot of man power looking for one person. Sure hope no one else needs help.

I don't know much about how these things work but is it just me or did the police seem to take a really long time to get the scene? Do firefighters usually have the task of defusing bombs? (though this scene was pretty awesome). Lastly, wouldn't the hospitial have to evacuate? Everyone seemed calm but not calm at the same time. It was weird.

That said, I enjoyed the episode as mentioned. However, looking at the previews for the Chicago PD crossover tonight, I'm pretty sure Rookie Blue had the exact same storyline last summer.

(edited)

People did seem to be taking their time arriving at the scene.

Is it a bad sign that DH and I were a little bummed when Dawson woke up?

I loved Mills' "Respectfully, shut up" response.  I also loved his telling the Captain and Cruz to cover their ears.  Peter, if the bomb goes off, their hearing isn't going to be the main injury.

I haven't watched Chicago PD, but am curious how this ends.  Are they testing the waters for Chicago Medical?  Because I can get behind the surgeon as the lead.  I've always liked him.

Edited by Crs97
Are they testing the waters for Chicago Medical?  Because I can get behind the surgeon as the lead.  I've always liked him.

I just saw Dylan Baker on The Good Wife the other night, so it was a little jarring to see him in such a different role a couple of days later, but he's a phenomenal actor and I could get behind this ... but only if they kept the shows separate. Having two shows doing crossovers is trying enough, particularly when I don't really care for Chicago PD.

Gabby doesn't  annoy me. I just wish she was someone else.  I didn't like Voight on Chicago Fire.but I like him on Chicago P.D. His character reminds me of so many cops shows that I like where there is always the cops who steps to the line,and  at the last minute he is pulled back, by a cop who believes in the oath.Kinda make me think if I was a victim of a crime I would want Voight to be on my side, fighting for  me. Sounds like a fantasy.

I understood the first time they cheered because in the situation they were in it was obviously a relief that their friend/colleague survived. However, when they were carrying her out on the stretcher and everyone continued cheering/clapping while watching her and Casey make out I was like..... maybe get back to work guys.

Meanwhile Shay lies dying on her feet and nobody realises. The whole plot was stupid but I remember Shay was in the middle of her nervous breakdown when during the episode of the trainwreck and had to sit some of it out because she kept freaking. I just spun it she didn't want to sit this one out so just covered the injury up.

Loved Mills/Cruz working together. When they found the car with the box covered by a blanket I was half expecting their to be a baby in it because this show really is that cliched now.

In all it's cheesiness though I loved the episode. I didn't mind the medical stuff mainly because I thought Dylan Baker was really good. The rest of the potential cast didn't really gel with me but I remember feeling that way about the PD backdoor pilot.

As a huge fan of both Fire and PD, I liked the way they integrated both shows. Especially when the PD showed up together in the final minutes and the music beat changed from the dramatic Fire music to the PD beat.

Agree that Shay was a complete idiot.  I get that she wanted to be tough and do her job and help the injured, but come on, seriously? A deep puncture wound from a potentially rusty piece of rebar?  A huge gash in her abdomen and she thinks she must hide it from everyone?  Just stupid.

Have there been rumors of a Chicago Medical spin-off?  I thought the doctor was an arrogant prick who seems really tortured inside. Wouldn't watch for that reason alone.

I dunno...while I get that Shay wanted to do her part in the midst of such horror, despite her best intentions I truly don't think she would have been ABLE to. All that blood coming out of her midsection, causing her to repeatedly keep changing the gauze? I'm no doctor, but I think she would've keeled over long before that.

Things I especially liked:

- Casey and Severide's friendship - Whatever they've been through in the past, there is no doubt they solidly have one another's backs in thick and thin. If I'm not mistaken, Casey didn't even ASK Severide to come crawl through the rubble with him; he just WENT. How many friends do YOU have that would do that for your girlfriend, rescue worker or not?

- The instant bond between the two little girls - Although ultimately they didn't know one another long in this life, it was almost as though the universe had planned their meeting.

Things I didn't quite get:

- Why Burgess couldn't get hold of her sister, brother-in-law OR her parents! At first I thought it was because of the mass chaos; as we've seen in real-life similar situations, often times people can't use their phones because lines are down, being overused by panicking people, etc. (like at the Boston Marathon). But it seems that everyone else was able to get through to anyone they wanted to call...for heaven's sake, Burgess had no trouble reaching her partner, or that doctor calling her parents about Imogene...

- Why it took Chicago PD so long to get on scene. Maybe it just seemed like a long time, since I don't think they actually specified; but IMO Chicago fire had time to do an awful lot before Voight & co. even drove up. Aren't they all supposed to be headquartered within a couple blocks of one another?

- I would've imagined Antonio Dawson would've been there WAY faster, considering his own sister was missing! Was he even told until he came on scene, and then caught up on her condition with Casey?

Regarding the Chicago Medical spinoff rumors -- I don't know, but it certainly looks as though TPTB are keeping their options open. We have seen some of the same doctors repeatedly already, and they focused on a few main ones the other night too. It seems they are definitely introducing characters now.

(edited)

Of course it had to be Gabby that was in peril this episode. Out of all the other cast members they could have picked, they went with her. At least this meant that she really wasn't seen in the episode much at all. Agree that there was way too much focus on finding her than there was on rescuing anyone else and I have a really hard time accepting that not just 1 but 2 Lieutenants went searching for her.  These are the guys that are supposed to be leading/organizing their teams and managing the situation and the rescue of the many other people that were hurt/affected by the explosion. The fact that two of them just ran off into an unsecure tunnel of rubble to look for one EMT when there were so many other things (and people) to be concerned with is really ridiculous (especially as it was correctly assumed that there were more bombs out there).

I got the impression that we were already supposed to know Imogen's sister and that she was a doctor but I don't remember her from any previous episodes. I just thought it was odd that when Imogen first met Zoe the two girls introduced themselves but Burgess and Imogen's sister didn't introduce themselves to each other. I had no idea that Imogen's sister was a doctor (or that she was Imogen's sister and not her mother/aunt/cousin, etc. for that matter) until after the explosion and she started triaging people. It does seem odd that a woman her age has a sister that's 9 years old since, with the amount of time she would have spent in medical school and going through training, she is likely pretty close to 30 if not already in her early 30s.

This did feel kind of like a test run to see if a Chicago Medical type show could be added to Fire and PD. If Dylan Baker is going to be one of the lead actors in it, then I will likely watch as I love him in pretty much everything and he really does have an incredible range - he can play creepy/sociopathic as well as the good guy next door. I did notice, however, that NBC is advertising for a new medical show that starts in mid/late May but it's set in Texas (Austin, I think - looks kind of ER-ish). I wonder if this will affect whether or not they do a Chicago Med type show.

ETA: In the previews for the next episode it looks like Gabby is retaking the firefighter test. I'm not sure how much time they are going to indicate passed from the bombing to the test but if they happen relatively close together I have a hard time believing she would be fit enough (or medically cleared) to take it, especially given that she appears to have had some sort of head injury in the bombing.

Edited by Rapunzel

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this - but at some point in one of the two shows (sorry, I don't remember which one), I believe Dylan Baker was in an outdoor shot, and quite clearly behind him was a sign that said Chicago Medical.

If I hadn't known this two-episode thingy was a backdoor pilot, I do believe that would have given it away.

I have a hard time believing she would be fit enough (or medically cleared) to take it, especially given that she appears to have had some sort of head injury in the bombing.

Considering what we know about Casey, head injuries don't phase the Chicago FD in the least,

I wasn't bothered by Casey searching for Gabby since he was actually off-duty that day. Hermann was the lieutenant in charge. Severide, on the other hand . . .

Considering how creepy Dylan Baker is on The Good Wife, which I also watch, I'm amazed that I wasn't bothered by him here...

Although I've heard some rumors about the possibility of a Chicago Medical, the name truly makes me LOL. I mean, seriously, in a major city like Chicago, I would presume there are quite a few hospitals...what are the odds of having one named just "Chicago Medical"? I'm sure it would be St. Somebody's, more likely...

Re: head injuries - Maybe they've started some kind of club at 51? Don't forget, Shay also had a serious head injury last season; when she returned, they gag-gifted her that helmet, remember?