Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Hana Komo Pae (Rite of Passage)

• Start Topic

McGarrett (to Danno after the rescue): Nothing? Nothing? No hug?

Danno: I'm so happy to see you now, I'll give you a hug.... I'll give you a kiss.... pick a base!

Oh boys, at least wait until you're off school grounds.

I like this one a lot, although I was distracted waiting for the other shoe to drop with a "Will & Grace" joke. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze it in tonight.

• Love 2

I'm not particularly fond of Danny or Scott Cann, so I usually don't like the Danny-centric episodes.   But I was surprised that he didn't bug me this much this episode.  

I knew there was little chance of it happening, but I would have loved to have seen the show take the guts to unexpectedly kill off a main character.  We could have been rid of both Danny and Grace.  Then Scott Cahn could get his wish to stay on the mainland permanently and not have to take the trouble to show up for work in Hawaii.  And we could have been rid of the awful actress that plays Grace.

She is as awful as ever.  Never has been able to act and never will.  I always thought there's no way she looks like she could be the child of Danny and Rachel.  I have always thought she looks Hispanic, or at least half-Hispanic.  

I like Will Grover and would like to see more of him, but only if we don't have to see Grace.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

The actor playing Grover's son reminds me of a young Muhammad Ali.

That's interesting. I follow the weekly Twitter ep commentaries by the writers (& sometimes Peter Lenkov, but he's also busy with the MacGyver reboot), & 1 of them--probably Rob Hanning, the guy who wrote this episode--also commented that Chosen Jacobs (Will Grover) looks like a young Muhammad Ali. Great minds think alike, & all that, huh?

1 hour ago, giovannif7 said:

Oh boys, at least wait until you're off school grounds.

I like this one a lot, although I was distracted waiting for the other shoe to drop with a "Will & Grace" joke. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze it in tonight.

I didn't get the Will & Grace thing immediately upon reading about the ep, but I got it eventually. They may not have mentioned it in this ep, but I bet they'll get to an onscreen mention eventually (it seems the plan is to keep them a "couple" for awhile). It did come up in at least 1 Tweet on my Twitter feed, which Lenkov Retweeted from someone I don't follow, & the show's writers have already given them the "couple" name "Grill" (it was either that or "Wace").

• Love 1

What would Danny have done if Grover's son had been named Zeke or Jacob?  Tough to make those names into a code word.  

That school dance was at a hotel, correct?  So where the heck was everybody else - workers, other guests, restaurants diners?  No one noticed the truck full of heavily armed men drive up or the jammed phones or see the sign or hear the gunfire?

And am I really supposed to believe that Mrs. Grover would not have become aware of what was going on and go make sure her son was OK?  She was just going to sit around the house for a few hours and wait for him to come home?  Come on.  All of the kids would have been at the hotel for at least an hour or so in order to have statements taken.  And Danny and Lou probably would have been there even longer.  Yet they take the kids to a (empty) diner so they can dance together.  Not buying it.  Had Mrs. G been with them, I would have.  I guess they didn't want to pay the actress that plays her.

I am glad that they didn't turn Will into some kind of super hero.  He was smart - programming the sign - but not a super genius - using the computer to hack 5-0's computer system and set off some kind of alarm.  And they let him be afraid.  Like a normal kid would be, under the circumstances.  I was afraid they were going to have him go all Rambo in order to protect Grace (the helpless girl) and impress Danny.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm not particularly fond of Danny or Scott Cann, so I usually don't like the Danny-centric episodes.   But I was surprised that he didn't bug me this much this episode.  

I knew there was little chance of it happening, but I would have loved to have seen the show take the guts to unexpectedly kill off a main character.  We could have been rid of both Danny and Grace.  Then Scott Cahn could get his wish to stay on the mainland permanently and not have to take the trouble to show up for work in Hawaii.  And we could have been rid of the awful actress that plays Grace.

She is as awful as ever.  Never has been able to act and never will.  I always thought there's no way she looks like she could be the child of Danny and Rachel.  I have always thought she looks Hispanic, or at least half-Hispanic.

I like Will Grover and would like to see more of him, but only if we don't have to see Grace.

I doubt there's any way in hell you'll get your wish for them to kill off either Scott Caan or Teilor Grubbs. They're both still under contract. Sorry!

I've said it before, & I'll say it again: Teilor Grubbs is part-Hawaiian/part-Caucasian, from what I've read, or I'm pretty sure I've read, about her. She's not any part Hispanic. And I could see her playing the daughter of Scott Caan (whose hair isn't always a bright-ish shade of blond, but also runs darker blond/light brown) & Claire van der Boom (whose hair is brown, just like Teilor's). For that matter, I think Zach Sulzbach, who plays Danny/Rachel's son & Grace's brother, Charlie, also looks like he could be their child/sibling. They don't have to look like the actors playing their parents as little kids--just have reasonably similar hair, eye, & skin coloring so they're believable enough to viewers who don't pay that much attention to more than basic biology/genetics. And neither has to rival Shirley Temple or Mickey Rooney (or whomever) in youthful acting talent either.

If you're gonna snark Scott Caan, you could at least bother to be consistent about how you misspell his name.

I like Will Grover & wanna see more of him, too. But I doubt we'll be seeing him much without Grace, since the newest article I'm pretty sure I linked in the Media (or Spoilers, but I think Media)  thread says they're pursuing the "Grover & Danny's kids are dating" storyline for awhile.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

What would Danny have done if Grover's son had been named Zeke or Jacob?  Tough to make those names into a code word.  

That school dance was at a hotel, correct?  So where the heck was everybody else - workers, other guests, restaurants diners?  No one noticed the truck full of heavily armed men drive up or the jammed phones or see the sign or hear the gunfire?

And am I really supposed to believe that Mrs. Grover would not have become aware of what was going on and go make sure her son was OK?  She was just going to sit around the house for a few hours and wait for him to come home?  Come on.  All of the kids would have been at the hotel for at least an hour or so in order to have statements taken.  And Danny and Lou probably would have been there even longer.  Yet they take the kids to a (empty) diner so they can dance together.  Not buying it.  Had Mrs. G been with them, I would have.  I guess they didn't want to pay the actress that plays her.

I am glad that they didn't turn Will into some kind of super hero.  He was smart - programming the sign - but not a super genius - using the computer to hack 5-0's computer system and set off some kind of alarm.  And they let him be afraid.  Like a normal kid would be, under the circumstances.  I was afraid they were going to have him go all Rambo in order to protect Grace (the helpless girl) and impress Danny.

Yeah, I'm glad Will's name was a "normal" word too, & the team understood without Danny having to stress it too much. But if he was "Jacob", I suppose there could've been something about "Jacob's ladder" said sneakily

I never saw the building they were in, but somebody referred to where they were being held as a ballroom. Ballrooms don't necessarily have to be in hotels, but I get your point about where was the venue-specific staff.

There actually was a scene where a woman who was outside noticed the sign, after it had been changed to the message about "Hostages--Call 911", but she reported it to somebody who was actually working with the terrorists who were trying to kidnap the Filipino diplomat's son.

I don't think it's that they didn't wanna pay Michelle Hurd, the actress who plays Renee Grover. More like she may not have been available for the ep & they're choosing not to recast... so far. The actress is also juggling recurring roles in the Starz show Ash vs. Evil Dead (though I don't think that's actually in production right now) & Blindspot, which is on NBC &, as far as I know, also in production (in NYC). So, I'm guessing Grover did tell her to stay home (probably with their daughter, Samantha) & he & Will called once everything was over (& the kids gave their statements to their dads later--& Danny & Grover gave theirs to HPD, if necessary, though it was Five-0's case).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a tag issue & add a comment.

I liked this episode. Good tension, some subtle Die Hard references (the crawl space and Danny taking out the first bad guy - now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho), continuity (Danny is still claustrophobic), lots of fun and even a random Dog the Bounty Hunter appearance that kind of made sense.

I do wish the team was a little more genre-savvy in realizing that if communications go down for even a second it means someone is in trouble! They really should know that by now!

This show handled the Will and Grace relationship exactly the way I hoped it would. Danny knows Grover's son is a good kid and Grover understands why Danny is overprotective.

I also love that they are an interracial couple and no one has a problem with that. However, I am sure the next group to kidnap them will be white supremacists. 5-0 has killed a lot of terrorists, they're way overdue to kill some Nazis.

I knew the Philippines government was going to execute the terrorist immediately.

Jerry can go from the 5-0 and friends poker game to 5-0 headquarters where he can all by himself fire up the Microsoft PixelSense and research terrorist groups who are holding hostages on the island. So he's got keys to the building, computer logins and the absolute trust of the team. And they haven't given him a badge because?

I am sure the show won't go here because while they can have all the violence they want people still get skittish about sex. But I'd sure laugh if the parents were all worried about W&G having sex and they ended up doing so (offscreen of course) but admitted to their parents that it wasn't that special and they were legit confused about all the hype.

Edited by dwmarch
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

I liked this episode. Good tension, some subtle Die Hard references (the crawl space and Danny taking out the first bad guy - now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho), continuity (Danny is still claustrophobic), lots of fun and even a random Dog the Bounty Hunter appearance that kind of made sense.

I do wish the team was a little more genre-savvy in realizing that if communications go down for even a second it means someone is in trouble! They really should know that by now!

This show handled the Will and Grace relationship exactly the way I hoped it would. Danny knows Grover's son is a good kid and Grover understands why Danny is overprotective.

I also love that they are an interracial couple and no one has a problem with that. However, I am sure the next group to kidnap them will be white supremacists. 5-0 has killed a lot of terrorists, they're way overdue to kill some Nazis.

I knew the Philippines government was going to execute the terrorist immediately.

Jerry can go from the 5-0 and friends poker game to 5-0 headquarters where he can all by himself fire up the Microsoft PixelSense and research terrorist groups who are holding hostages on the island. So he's got keys to the building, computer logins and the absolute trust of the team. And they haven't given him a badge because?

I am sure the show won't go here because while they can have all the violence they want people still get skittish about sex. But I'd sure laugh if the parents were all worried about W&G having sex and they ended up doing so (offscreen of course) but admitted to their parents that it wasn't that special and they were legit confused about all the hype.

Dog's a friend of the team, so it makes sense he'd be invited to their card games. He was also at the 1 that opened the ep where Cath went to Afghanistan to rescue the kid whose family she knew.

I'm not positive, but I think Grover--by now--knows about Grace's kidnapping 5 years (seasons) ago, & understands that at least some of Danny's overprotectiveness of Grace is still on that level/having to do with that (heck, Steve's still protective of her from that, & he's not even her biological/marital uncle--when that kid, Nahele, stole his Marquis while he & Grace were working on her running for the President's Physical Fitness Award, once Grace pointed out it was Steve's car, he told her to stay exactly where she was & he went off after the car).

Considering they're an interracial couple in Hawaii, in particular, where there's already a big racial mix (& Sgt. Lukela's wife is Caucasian while he's Hawaiian), I'm not surprised nobody's batting an eye at them (so far, anyway).

I was surprised the Philippines killed the guy (Imam?) so fast. But in real life their new President, Rodrigo Duterte, is a "wild card", like Trump is here (& he's been compared to Trump, too). So I guess I wouldn't be surprised if someone like him were involved in that execution.

As someone who's half-Filipina, I just wanna know why they have to make the major terrorists Filipinos more than not (they were in at least an S2 ep as well). There are other Asian countries they could use, after all.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Considering they're an interracial couple in Hawaii, in particular, where there's already a big racial mix (& Sgt. Lukela's wife is Caucasian while he's Hawaiian), I'm not surprised nobody's batting an eye at them (so far, anyway).

I was surprised the Philippines killed the guy (Imam?) so fast. But in real life their new President, Rodrigo Duterte, is a "wild card", like Trump is here (& he's been compared to Trump, too). So I guess I wouldn't be surprised if someone like him were involved in that execution.

As someone who's half-Filipina, I just wanna know why they have to make the major terrorists Filipinos more than not (they were in at least an S2 ep as well). There are other Asian countries they could use, after all.

I was thinking they did jump the gun on Duterte, while he did campaign on it The Philippines being one of those nations where the chief  executive suspended the death penalty when GMA did it a decade ago. To be fair this time the terrorist were Indonesian, they were just trying to get a man held by the Filipinos released as their mission.

As far as interracial couples, America has made that turn and they have been on teen shows for a decade and now when they show up with adults on prime time and on commercial advertising it is without editorial comment. It just is. But then most shows are set in the more affluent areas of big cities while not as diverse as Hawaii or a military base they are plenty diverse.

Edited by Raja

Fun episode.

I am loving Danny this season, and that's making all the difference. Especially for a Danny-centric episode.

I think Scott Caan is fantastic when he gets a chance (and he bothers), which isn't often. But when he does, it's definitely a hoot to watch. I loved all the funnier moments with Will, the scared moments, the action moments, that little emotional moment with Steve, and I even liked that car scene with Grace. I swear, that actress is terrible, but when she's in an one-on-one scene with Scott Caan she lights up. Maybe because he improvises (does he still do that?) so her reactions are genuine? But she remains terrible overall. In that one scene, right after they were rescued, Danny, Will and Grover were all gesturing at each other from afar, showing emotion, and she was just looking around with a lost look on her face. Emote, sister!

7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Ha! Now I'm trying to incorporate the name 'Zeke' into a sentence.

And I agree, they showed Will was smart and daring (probably because of his cop father), but he wasn't annoyingly smart nor was he totally insubordinate. When Danny told him to stay hidden, he did, until his father told him otherwise. I especially liked that, instead of having Will play the hero to impress Danny, as you said, they just had Will be thankful because Danny kept him safe. Danny and Will had a great rapport. And the kid who plays Will is a talented young actor.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. We got solid action sequences, great interactions between Danny and Will/Grace/Grover/Steve, and a catchy premise. I love these low-angst, feel-good episodes.

Also, I do think Scott Caan and Chi McBride are the strongest actors in the cast (though I do like them all) so I was happy to get an episode that featured the two of them heavily. They're both charismatic and charming performers, and it's so fun to watch the two of them together. That last scene in the car, it was gold.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

According to this: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2016/11/11/features/five-0-redux/all-the-right-stuff/ , which is a weekly blog about the show I read, published in the Honolulu Star Advertiser on Saturdays during the TV season, even when there's a pre-emption for other programs, as well as on Saturdays during filming hiatus periods, the dance was filmed at a real-life conference center & wedding venue, Koʻolau Ballrooms in Kāne'ohe. And the blog writer also doesn't like the way Grace's been written lately.

A kind of fun fact I got from the Writers' Twitter Commentary last night, which I almost forgot: The girl who pissed off the terrorists by needing to go to the bathroom was an older version of Gracie's Aloha Girls troopmate who helped get them rescued back then by putting parts from different cellphones into another phone, enabling Danny to call Chin & Kono for help.

• Love 1

I don't like how crazily over protective Danny is with Grace. Most Dads can accept their daughters growing up, and even if they do struggle with it, they're smart enough to not humiliate the girls. There's no better way to drive a teen away. My kids got their privacy until they did something to deserve losing some of it, and I would never have removed the door.

I don't have a prblem with the girl who plays Grace, I find her annoyance and disgust with her Dad believable enough that I wonder at her relationship with Scott Caan.

• Love 1

Will and Grace (as written) are pretty badass for a couple of teens.  Most kids would need extensive counseling to get over the trauma of such terrorism, at the very least a trip home to change their shorts--but W&G calmly go for a quiet diner dance. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

I don't like how crazily over protective Danny is with Grace. Most Dads can accept their daughters growing up, and even if they do struggle with it, they're smart enough to not humiliate the girls. There's no better way to drive a teen away. My kids got their privacy until they did something to deserve losing some of it, and I would never have removed the door.

I don't have a prblem with the girl who plays Grace, I find her annoyance and disgust with her Dad believable enough that I wonder at her relationship with Scott Caan.

Everything I've always heard about the offscreen relationship between Scott Caan & Teilor Grubbs is that they're very close (she honestly seems to be close to all of the lead cast, & sees them as mentors--though she seems closest to Scott & Alex O'Loughlin in particular, probably since Steve & Gracie are supposed to have an "adopted uncle/niece" relationship on the show, because of the close relationship between Steve & Danny, & most of Teilor's/Gracie's scenes on the show are with Scott &/or Alex).

When Scott had 2 of his plays produced in LA over a couple of the earlier summer filming hiatuses, Teilor & at least her parents, if not her whole family (she has 2 younger sisters who are probably too young for the plays), flew to LA to see Scott in (at least) 1 of the plays. It was No Way Around But Through, the 1 in which Melanie Griffith played the mother of Scott's character--& thereby scored the role of Danny's mom in H50, because of their onstage chemistry. There were pics on Social Media of Teilor, after the performance, with Scott & his partner Kacy (mother of his/their daughter, Josie); she even brought a present for either Scott or both of them (she was holding a kinda big shopping bag in most of the pics I saw). And, even though Scott's not on Social Media (though Kacy at least was), when Kacy was pregnant Teilor posted on her Social Media that she was offering/volunteering to babysit for him/them once the baby arrived; I think she also made some comment about the baby's gender (girl) in what she said, though that had yet to be announced by Scott &/or Kacy.

On 11/12/2016 at 2:37 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Curious, which other terrorists have been Filipino?  One of the central villains of this series has been Wo Fat, who I believe is Chinese (not sure if they have ever specified, but I believe the character on the original was definitely a Chinese general, or something).  Sang Min is presumably Chinese or Korean.  The Yakuza and Adam Nishimori's father are Japanese.  They never specified the ancestry of Gabriel Wainwright or his sister Malia, but I believe both actors are half-Japanese, so I always assumed they were Japanese as well.  The Gabriella Wo Fat character that took over the Yakuza is also Japanese.

So yes, there are other Asian countries that have been used as villains much more prominently than the Phillippines.  :)

• Love 1

In the first or second season Filipino terrorists were going after the US Ambassador. While the group was not identified it played more like the NPA than like a Jihad 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

Curious, which other terrorists have been Filipino?  One of the central villains of this series has been Wo Fat, who I believe is Chinese (not sure if they have ever specified, but I believe the character on the original was definitely a Chinese general, or something).  Sang Min is presumably Chinese or Korean.  The Yakuza and Adam Nishimori's father are Japanese.  They never specified the ancestry of Gabriel Wainwright or his sister Malia, but I believe both actors are half-Japanese, so I always assumed they were Japanese as well.  The Gabriella Wo Fat character that took over the Yakuza is also Japanese.

So yes, there are other Asian countries that have been used as villains much more prominently than the Phillippines.  :)

@Raja's right. In the S1 ep which introduced Masi Oka's Max Bergman as the Medical Examiner, the terrorists in the COTW kidnapped the daughters of the US Ambassador to the Philippines (trying to get him to give them US aid they could use to "take back" the country) & killed 1 of the girls, whether accidentally or on purpose. The Ambassador's family was on vacation in Hawaii, they were friends of Governor Jameson, & the terrorists involved were Filipino.

They specified Wo Fat was Chinese, I'm pretty sure. In the ep where the Jenna Kaye character was introduced, she said he worked for all kinds of Chinese spy-type organizations.

Sang Min may be Chinese *&* Korean. I thought someone said that at 1 point, but I'm not positive. I know he is/was a "Snakehead", though.

Adam's last name is Noshimuri (Another character you're not fond of?). And yes, his family's Japanese (I think Ian Anthony Dale, who plays him, is Japanese/Asian & American).

Gabriel & Malia's last name was Waincroft, though Malia may have taken Chin's last name, Kelly, when they married. I know you didn't like Gabriel, but I thought you liked Malia (shrugs). I thought the Waincrofts were just supposed to be "generic", but non-Asian/Polynesian, Hawaiians. We've never met the Waincroft parents, including in the flashback ep where young Malia tried to get Chin to help get young Gabriel away from his life of crime before he actually got a criminal record, when they were dating before Chin broke up with Malia due to his troubles with HPD (when he was accused of stealing from the Asset Forfeiture Locker, among other things), so we don't know what their ancestry is (Waincroft isn't exactly a Hawaiian/Asian/Polynesian name). I assume they cast Christopher Sean as Gabriel because they thought he bore enough of a resemblance to Reiko Aylesworth (Malia) they could be family (shrugs).

I may have been wrong about the Philippines being used a lot as a villain's country of origin. They, & most others have only been used twice--except for the recurring villains, like Sang Min, Wo Fat, Gabriel, etc., most of whom have actually been used a lot more

On 11/14/2016 at 4:56 PM, BW Manilowe said:

@Raja's right. In the S1 ep which introduced Masi Oka's Max Bergman as the Medical Examiner, the terrorists in the COTW kidnapped the daughters of the US Ambassador to the Philippines (trying to get him to give them US aid they could use to "take back" the country) & killed 1 of the girls, whether accidentally or on purpose. The Ambassador's family was on vacation in Hawaii, they were friends of Governor Jameson, & the terrorists involved were Filipino.

They specified Wo Fat was Chinese, I'm pretty sure. In the ep where the Jenna Kaye character was introduced, she said he worked for all kinds of Chinese spy-type organizations.

Sang Min may be Chinese *&* Korean. I thought someone said that at 1 point, but I'm not positive. I know he is/was a "Snakehead", though.

Adam's last name is Noshimuri (Another character you're not fond of?). And yes, his family's Japanese (I think Ian Anthony Dale, who plays him, is Japanese/Asian & American).

Gabriel & Malia's last name was Waincroft, though Malia may have taken Chin's last name, Kelly, when they married. I know you didn't like Gabriel, but I thought you liked Malia (shrugs). I thought the Waincrofts were just supposed to be "generic", but non-Asian/Polynesian, Hawaiians. We've never met the Waincroft parents, including in the flashback ep where young Malia tried to get Chin to help get young Gabriel away from his life of crime before he actually got a criminal record, when they were dating before Chin broke up with Malia due to his troubles with HPD (when he was accused of stealing from the Asset Forfeiture Locker, among other things), so we don't know what their ancestry is (Waincroft isn't exactly a Hawaiian/Asian/Polynesian name). I assume they cast Christopher Sean as Gabriel because they thought he bore enough of a resemblance to Reiko Aylesworth (Malia) they could be family (shrugs).

I may have been wrong about the Philippines being used a lot as a villain's country of origin. They, & most others have only been used twice--except for the recurring villains, like Sang Min, Wo Fat, Gabriel, etc., most of whom have actually been used a lot more

I guess we can be reasonably sure that a fair share of Filipino Americans have appeared over the years It would take some Google fu to look back. I remember Anthony Ruvivar,  because of Third Watch, as a Private Investigator a couple of years ago. But the Filipino terrorist remains in mind because back on TWOP there was this big debate about a Chinese and White Canadian was playing the role of the terrorist leader and I was saying drop him into Manila and nobody would take any special interest in him

Several of the bad guys got shot in front of the kids, although they were all on the ground with their heads down so I'm not sure how much they actually saw. And given that Will Grover apparently grew up with a go-bag under his bed and the idea that the bad guys could come anytime, I'm not sure how much this will phase him. 

I do appreciate that while Grace seems to keep ending up in danger, only once was it related to being Danny's daughter and it was for something that happened back in NJ, long before he joined Five-0. The camp-out was bad luck, as was this time. She happened to be going to school with a kid who was targeted. And when Grover's family was in danger last season, that wasn't related to Five-0 either. It was from an undercover job 20 years ago.

My heart melted a little both when Grover connected with his son first on the phone and then in person once the bad guys were down. And that Steve's first thought after putting the bad guys down was to find Grace, even before looking for Danny. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

My heart melted a little both when Grover connected with his son first on the phone and then in person once the bad guys were down. And that Steve's first thought after putting the bad guys down was to find Grace, even before looking for Danny. 

Oh yes, I meant to come here to post something very like this.  Especially Steve immediately turning his attention to finding Gracie.  I figured that would be a good plot bunny for some schmoopy fanfic...  (hint-hint-hint)

• Love 1

"Cool dad? That's when they end up pregnant, in jail, or both." Probably the best line of dialogue in the series.

I really don't like Danny and Grover squeezing his son to spy on Grace. 

What a weird episode. Danny always struck me as a good parent, but here he's borderline control freak. 

Also it's a jerk move to claim you brought sandwiches when your friend did. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Is anyone else old enough to remember Al Harrington (Mamo) from H5O: Original Flavor as Ben Kokua? I know he's been in the current show before, but maybe I never noticed him. Also he looks great for being 80 years old.

22 hours ago, torqy said:

Is anyone else old enough to remember Al Harrington (Mamo) from H5O: Original Flavor as Ben Kokua? I know he's been in the current show before, but maybe I never noticed him. Also he looks great for being 80 years old.

I'm old enough. And yes, he's been in at least 1 ep every/almost every season of this show. He also looks good for 80.

If James MacArthur (the original Danny Williams, as you may know) hadn't died when he did, Al may not have even been in this version of the show; at least maybe not as Mamo. Peter Lenkov was either talking to James about doing a role where, like Mamo, his character was a McGarrett family friend who helped/was somehow involved with a Five-0 case, or else James had agreed to do it but died before he could film it. Next thing you know, Al Harrington, Jr.--who, as you said, played Ben Kokua, Five-0 team member, in the original show--was cast in a role in the new version & the character description sounded similar to that of the character James MacArthur was supposed to play.

37 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I'm old enough. And yes, he's been in at least 1 ep every/almost every season of this show. He also looks good for 80.

If James MacArthur (the original Danny Williams, as you may know) hadn't died when he did, Al may not have even been in this version of the show; at least maybe not as Mamo. Peter Lenkov was either talking to James about doing a role where, like Mamo, his character was a McGarrett family friend who helped/was somehow involved with a Five-0 case, or else James had agreed to do it but died before he could film it. Next thing you know, Al Harrington, Jr.--who, as you said, played Ben Kokua, Five-0 team member, in the original show--was cast in a role in the new version & the character description sounded similar to that of the character James MacArthur was supposed to play.

Thanx BW for the information!

On 11/27/2016 at 0:19 PM, ganesh said:

Danny always struck me as a good parent, but here he's borderline control freak.

Ah, this is the irony, Danny always accuses Steve of being a total control freak, but the reality is that when it comes to his kids, Danny is a huge control freak himself.  That trait, however, doesn't necessarily preclude him from being a good dad though... 

• Love 2
On 11/16/2016 at 2:38 PM, anna0852 said:

agreed - except it confused me that he was so intent on finding her. I get it if he thought Danny wasn't in the same room with her - then yes, have at it -go be Uncle Rambo. But didn't he know Danny was with her? It just seemed weird to me that he was so anxious to get to her when he knew she at least was with Danny. Just my gut impression at the time.

• Love 1