Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: Like Sand Through the Hour Glass

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Ryan clearly had the best tattoo. Given the consistent quality of her work I find it strange that she holds on so tightly to this foolish alliance.

Despite her very good tattoo Nikki remains a vaguely racist ass.

• Love 3

I don't know who I would have swapped out for her because the work was good this week, but I hated seeing Kelly in the bottom again. Her tattoo, "unfinished" or not, was miles better than the other two low riders.

I enjoyed the [car name redacted] challenge and thought both teams did really well. Agreed that the bees were nice looking but the chains and ram were a far better design. (As usual when Ryan's involved; her sense of artistry really shines.) Seeing the finished car, the idea of stripes over the top was even lamer.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

Ryan and all the women have told us why the alliance is important to them. I know it may be odd, but some women really do believe that supporting other talented women in a world stacked against them is a worthy goal.  Beyond that, they're hardly the first to value an alliance. Anthony and Christian might have some insight into that. 

They are really trying to tear down Kelly. Two weeks in a row. This one was slightly more valid than last week, but I am sensing a pattern. 

Unless one of the women has something to say, I have started muting this season. It's garbage. 

• Love 4

What episode is this, the tenth?  Then for the tenth time, designing a competition where the judges have a vested interest in the results is stoooooopid.  On the other hand, I laughed every time someone expressed concern about next week being "three-to-five."  As if.  This show's weekly objectivity play is so ridiculously transparent. 

Okay, got that out of my system, again.

Undeniable winner.  Either of the men going home would have been justified--although I couldn't get a really good look at Erich's for being too fixated on the unpleasant aspects of that ass.  Dude

I thought Kelly didn't make a bad choice with the clean omission of the clock's lower rim extending behind and beyond the hourglass.  If I saw it for the first time in another setting, I wouldn't automatically think "Unfinished!" before "Avant garde?"  Better that way than doing the whole design and explaining: this and this and that thing would all be better if there had been more time.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

The difference between the women's alliance and the one that Anthony and Christian had (besides the women talking about it every single episode) is that there were no teams, per se.  I hate the team concept.  It doesn't work with this format, not with the teams split up by the judges.

This is the first season I have watched that I really have zero interest in who wins.  I am not really invested in anyone.  In the beginning, I really couldn't keep track who was on whose team.  It was too much.

Ryan definitely had a great tattoo this week (and last.)  I also liked Nikki's (although she really drives me crazy) and whoever did the owl with the hourglass (Gian? Nate?)   Eric far and away had the worst, along with the worst canvas and suffering with an illness.  I think he's a better artist overall than some of the inktestants that are left but I suppose that's how the cookie crumbles.  At least with IM. 

Nate's excuse for being mediocre is ridiculous.  Gian is playing it right - - if you want to win, eventually you will have to go after people. And yes, I would try to knock out the stronger competitors as early as you can.  

Because we have to say it every week, STFU Nikki.  Quit. Talking. During. The. Judging.  Seriously.  Does she think she needs to insert her opinion on everything?  Just STFU.

I still love Dave.

I still miss Josh.

• Love 2

Thought the team thing was done with. But with the flash challenge, they're back? Weird.

Though I loved the end... "You can't eliminate me Nunez, I'm on your team. Defend me!"

"Dude, all three of you on the bottom are on my team. What do you think I can do here?"

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Charlesman said:

Thought the team thing was done with. But with the flash challenge, they're back? Weird.

Though I loved the end... "You can't eliminate me Nunez, I'm on your team. Defend me!"

"Dude, all three of you on the bottom are on my team. What do you think I can do here?"

Also want to add that although I hated that Eric was cut, I was gleeful to see that Nunez was overruled in the judging.  He he he.

I feel bad for Kevin. He's an average-good artist who I think just needs some mentoring to be great, and he seems like a nice, decent guy. I loved that he stood up to Nunez and called him out on his blatant favoritism. Chris has had a problem with Kevin not listening to his advice - um yea, it's because your advice sucks, dummy. But with Nunez, it's always an ego thing. And I loved that Nunez basically confirmed the absurdity of this concept by  saying, "there's no teams" - and that he later admitted he had to send one of his own packing. You cannot have team captains and then let them judge. This was stupid from the get-go, and I hope they don't try to repeat this format.
Here's my theory and prediction:

I feel like they were deliberately picking on Gia because they couldn't have 4 girls make it to the top, so they pointed out small flaws in her later work, so that they could justify sending her home. There's no way in HELL her tattoo was worse on pin-up day, and no way that her minor errors (not having enough time to finish 2 tats) were as bad as some artists just not being able to draw, or having jacked linework. I feel like they're setting Kelly up for the same fall - they can't bring 3 women to the top 5, so they're setting her up for a fall either next episode or the one after. I think they've already decided that pretty much no matter what, Ryan will make the final (and rightly so), and Nikki will as well,  (because she's also good plus brings the drama). I really do think that one of the guys could probably draw stick-figures on their next couple of canvases, and they'd still put Kelly in the bottom for something stupid like, "your tattoo was too big (like her head tat) or "you had 1 wonky line, which is clearly worse than Bonface's perfect stick-man". I mean, if Boneface, Kevin, and Sketchy advance over Kelly - who is by far the superior artist (seriously, check out her work!), then that's seriously fucked up.

Nate's attitude sucks, and while SOME of his work has been technically good, to me it lacks soul. His compositions aren't good, and I feel like his artistry isn't great - his designs are very generic, almost like he just traces or Frankensteins references and then executes them competently.

Gian does clean work, but his style and range is limited. He can only tattoo in that neo-traditional style of his, and when you put his work up beside Ryan's, NIkki's, or Kelly's - it's not as impressive even though he's good technically.

Sketchy is too inconsistent - he started off ok, but now he's all over the place, and I also am not impressed by anything he's done.

Surprisingly I enjoyed Von Miller as a judge and loved how passionate he was about the art!

Still love Dave :)

• Love 4

I just looked at this week's elimination tattoos.  I haven't had a chance to watch the episode, so maybe they mentioned this, but in Nikki's tat the sand inside the hourglass is blowing to one side.  That doesn't make any sense, since there is no air inside an hourglass, so it should be dropping straight down.

Kelly's tattoo even unfinished is still head and shoulders above most of the others.  It's so well done, it appears intentional.

• Love 1

"I want an hourglass and a photo realistic heart and a tree and a shark and some pancakes and the moon and dad's watch and a space ship and my babies' portraits and my granny and my granny's cat and Beethoven and the word "Family" in gangster script and my prom theme and Scrappy Do and a raven and the Golden Arches. On my bicep. No I'm not changing. It's important to me."

• Love 16

Ryan's tattoo was a clear winner, with Nikki was a definite second.  Really cool designs and great execution.

I get that people like Kelly (me too), but I don't think the judges have an agenda against her. Her tattoo was pretty crappy this week and she deserved to be at the bottom. Hopefully the OCD isn't a huge issue as the challenges get tougher and she's back on top next week.

I'm ready for Nunez to vote for Kevin's elimination every week from here on out. As soon as that water dilemma happened, the signs aligned that he was gonna gun to get him out. Props to him for calling Nunez out. This late in the competition, unless you've been cranking out tattoo of the days repeatedly, you go home if you botch one that badly.

Eric might be a better artist than Kevin, but that's a shitty thing to say to a contestant because you like someone else better. My hate for Nunez has been rekindled again.

Edited by Apatee

I found Ryan's hard to read, though my husband said he could see it clearly. She tattoos stuff very dark, I didn't see much contrast. Kelly's looked unfinished in a purposeful way, and I found I liked it a lot. Still, what a bore this challenge was.

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Kelly's looked unfinished in a purposeful way

Maybe so the guy could add everything plus the kitchen sink later, like he wanted. Also, tattoos start off very, very dark for the first six months or so, then as the  surface skin replaces itself (every 30 days or so) it lightens up. Several of my all-black tats scared the crap out of me at the beginning but are ok now.

Is Best Ink ever coming back?

Ryan's piece was absolutely stunning.  She is so good.  I get so sick of Nikki acting like she's so much better than the rest of the world. Girl, you've been in the game 5 years.  Listen to people who have been in it longer.  You have something to learn. We all have something to learn, no matter how long we've been tattooing.  Shit, even Oliver seeks out knowledge from other artists and he's been around forever.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 8:51 PM, Merneith said:

"I want an hourglass and a photo realistic heart and a tree and a shark and some pancakes and the moon and dad's watch and a space ship and my babies' portraits and my granny and my granny's cat and Beethoven and the word "Family" in gangster script and my prom theme and Scrappy Do and a raven and the Golden Arches. On my bicep. No I'm not changing. It's important to me."

"What if I gave you a Have A Nice Day smiley face on your thigh?"

"I'm not changing!"

(confessional) "My canvas is so unreasonable! This is going to be it for me!" *tears*

(commercial break)

(shots of other artists working for a few minutes, suddenly, cut to artist working on smiley face tattoo on thigh, halfway done already)

"My canvas compromised and let me do what I wanted."

• Love 2

Is it just me or did they do this same flash challenge before on a different season, right down to the stupid cartoon bees?

Sketchy saying that he only gets one strike where everyone else gets four is a good illustration of someone unable to see that he gets his own unfair passes. He needs to go away and I hate that he's done mediocre drawings and skated by with a shite attitude. also fred durst called and he wants his look back.

The tone of Ryan's hair throws me off because on my monitor, it looks like it's greying, so I always think she's a lot older than she really is.

edited to ask how many times do we have to see this dude's ass on TV? Eric should go just for not doing a good enough tattoo to save us from this dude's butt. Could they not have photoshopped out a skin blemish or two? blugh. also LOL at von's suggestion of putting the eye more over to the left. Yeah, move it into the dude's crack. ????

Edited by belligerent

Eric went home. Damn. Shows how good my prediction skills are.

With Eric gone, Gian and Kelly are the only two who can give Ryan a run for the money. When it comes to a master canvas, I think only Kelly can pull out a design that would actually beat Ryan. 

Wont happen. The editing is obvious. The Ryan wave is getting bigger and bigger and will soon be unstoppable. I'd put it at 99% she wins it all. 

On 10/29/2016 at 1:12 AM, belligerent said:

The tone of Ryan's hair throws me off because on my monitor, it looks like it's greying, so I always think she's a lot older than she really is.

Your screen is not wrong.  It has become fashionable for very young women to have grey hair.  I think Ryan's is a lavender/grey, but it can be an ice gray or blue/grey, etc.

Grey is actually a very difficult color to maintain and takes a lot of work.  I am surprised her hair looks as good as it does, but it does probably age a person a little.  She can sometimes look like a pretty witchy type woman, though that might be the looks she is going for.

On 10/31/2016 at 5:24 AM, qtpye said:

Your screen is not wrong.  It has become fashionable for very young women to have grey hair.  I think Ryan's is a lavender/grey, but it can be an ice gray or blue/grey, etc.

Grey is actually a very difficult color to maintain and takes a lot of work.  I am surprised her hair looks as good as it does, but it does probably age a person a little.  She can sometimes look like a pretty witchy type woman, though that might be the looks she is going for.

It's definitely been changing shades as the season has gone on. Earlier it was whiter/purpler/more lavender-ry, an episode or so ago it had gone browner, now it seems to be going back to the gray steel look.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2016 at 8:24 AM, qtpye said:

I have a browser extension that changes my monitor colors so that it doesn't emit blue light after a certain time of day, for circadian rhythm purposes, so I was wondering if it was distorting her hair color.

They grey fad isn't just young women. I have a couple of male friends in their early 20's who have grey hair (intentionally dyed this way), but it doesn't age them as much for some reason.

My mom's hair was completely silver by the time she was 40. It was like she had been coloring it to hide the random silver hairs, then she just stopped and it was all silver once the dye faded out. A lot of people thought/think her hair color was intentional but no.

I just pull out my grey hairs and hope I take after my dad, who didn't really go grey until recently (he's 65). I'm 34 so I suppose I will find out soon enough. My brother is 27 and his beard turned grey much faster than our dad's and for a time, he had more grey hair than our dad, too...

Kids these days!!

• Love 1