Type keyword(s) to search

Simply, your favourite movie scenes

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

I remember hearing that a  lot of the extras were refugees. Madeleine Lebeau(Yvonne) and Marcel Dalio (Emil) were married and barely managed to escape France before the Nazis invaded.

Oh, really? Wow, that's makes that scene even better.

Edited by andromeda331
On 10/17/2016 at 1:57 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

These might not even be the best scenes in their respective movies, but if I ever need an instant pick-me-up, watching the ending scene in Footloose and the hand-jive scene from Grease will do it:

Responding 6 years later, but I won't even press play on that Grease scene because I don't feel like crying right now.  Oh god it's so good.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, starri said:

"The King of Pride Rock" makes me cry every single time.

It's funny you posted this now.  I've been watching all the Disney animation movies in order and I just did Lion King a few weeks ago.  One of my main takeaways from this one in particular is that the creators didn't let the moment get too big for them.  Everything about this scene from the animation to the score to the direction and editing gives it the tone it deserves.  It's perfect.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm going to spoiler tag this one because people may still be working their way through the Oscar nominated films before the show next month.

In Banshees of Inisherin

Spoiler

When the cop beats up Padraic and Colm, despite telling Padraic he didn't want to talk to him anymore, still had the decency to help Padraic back onto his wagon and take him most of the way home.  That, plus the way Padraic broke into tears before Colm helped him up, made the scene unbelievably emotional.  It was a brief moment, but so powerful. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

One of my favorite movie scenes ever. And one of my favorite music tracks from Hans Zimmer, which is a tough competition, as he's one of my favorite composers.

I feel the same way about John Williams. That is definitely one of the best scenes.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2023 at 2:22 PM, JustHereForFood said:

One of my favorite movie scenes ever. And one of my favorite music tracks from Hans Zimmer, which is a tough competition, as he's one of my favorite composers.

While I just love the movie period, Hans Zimmer's score for Gladiator elevates it even more.

Speaking of favourite scenes...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Nearer My God to Thee in Titanic.  It's a beautiful rendition of the song and I love how it plays over all the different perspectives going on at the time especially the chaos on the deck.  And it might be cheesy but "Gentleman, it has been a privilege playing with you tonight." always gets me.  

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

The scene from Kill Bill Vol. 1 where The Bride tells O-Ren they have unfinished business.  Everything about this scene is fire.  Fave parts:

- The close focus on Uma's lips in profile as she is yelling her challenge at O-Ren

- O-Ren's face when she realizes who it is

- The shocking, abrupt violence of The Bride cutting off Sophie's arm

- The hysterical, over the top flourishes of the Crazy 88's as they fling open the doors

- And finally the Ennio Morricone 'Death Rides A Horse (From Man to Man)' music  is just the *chef's kiss*

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

The scene from Kill Bill Vol. 1 where The Bride tells O-Ren they have unfinished business.  Everything about this scene is fire.  Fave parts:

- The close focus on Uma's lips in profile as she is yelling her challenge at O-Ren

- O-Ren's face when she realizes who it is

- The shocking, abrupt violence of The Bride cutting off Sophie's arm

- The hysterical, over the top flourishes of the Crazy 88's as they fling open the doors

- And finally the Ennio Morricone 'Death Rides A Horse (From Man to Man)' music  is just the *chef's kiss*

“Charlie Brown…beat it.”

If we hadn’t already figured out that Beatrix Kiddo wasn’t someone to be fucked with before then, that moment made it damn clear.

I know this is unpopular, but as one of my favorite movies, I love the baptism scene from The Godfather. Specifically, the scenes that are intercut, where Michael cleans house, eliminating all those that betrayed his father by siding with Bardzini. 
And when he tells Carlo he’s done and tells him (Carlo) not to insult his intelligence.

”Ahh, that  little farce you played with my sister, you think that could fool a Corleone?”

Whaaat?

• Like 3
  • Love 4

This never gets old no matter how many times I've seen it 

1.  The music still slaps.  From the early straight up choral part right through to the ending.  It's perfection.  I have listened to this on loop.

2.  In 3 and a half minutes with absolutely no dialogue you know an entire story.  An empty church gains life.  A rebellious choir master and Mother Superior's disapproval (Maggie Smith's look at the end still makes me sit up straight.  It's right up there with Claire Huxtable yelling at Vanessa for going to "Baltimore for biiiig fun." ).  And a group of women finding themselves in front of everyone's eyes.  The music is great but the acting is also on point.  From the women being so unsure and kind of embarrassed at the beginning to completely feeling it and then being taken aback by themselves at the very end.  Mary Patrick is down for anything but Mary Robert goes through an entire arc in just these 3+ minutes. And the way Delores leads them all with her unspoken "I got you."  She is having the time of her life too.

3.  Older women, and especially nuns, are not supposed to want to have fun per society.  Those are the rules.  So watching a group of mostly older women suddenly being allowed to enjoy themselves out loud hits on a new level.  Mary Lazarus has all these "Hey.  This is neat" looks and it gets me.  It's probably the best time she's had in a long time.  Same could be said for most everyone there.

4.  The look of disbelief the two nuns sitting in the pew give each other that this isn't going to be a dumpster fire.  HA!

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, starri said:

I try to imagine Sister Act as the vehicle for Bette Midler it was intended to be, and I just can't do it.

Would have been a very different movie, that's for sure.

• Like 6

Some favorites from my childhood:
It’s probably incredibly uncool for me to say it, but the Do-Re-Mi sequence in The Sound of Music. The gorgeous scenery, the growing complexity of the music, the deepening relationship between Maria and the children. It will never stop making me happy. Also, I’ve actually been to most of those shooting locations, so it has that extra “I’ve been there!” excitement.

On a similar note, Shipoopi in The Music Man. So damned happy.

Wadsworth going back over the entire evening and revealing who did it, where and with what in Clue.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Wadsworth going back over the entire evening and revealing who did it, where and with what in Clue.

And to make a long story short...

TOO LATE.

(Is it too late to add "the entirety of Clue" as my favourite scene?)

Edited by RunningMarket
spelling/grammar
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

And to make a long story short...

TOO LATE.

(Is it too late to add "the entire of Clue" as my favourite scene?)

Not at all. I can still quote the whole thing!

• Love 6