Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E08: Week 5

• Start Topic

Week 6  LATIN NIGHT 

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2016/10/12/dancing-with-the-stars-season-23-week-six-latin-night-song-dance-list-revealed/

It’s Latin Night next week on Dancing With the Stars!

The nine remaining celebrities will be performing either a rumba, salsa, samba, paso doblé, cha cha or Argentine tango on the show, with ONE couple being eliminated at the end.

The night will kick off with Pitbullperforming his hit song “Greenlight,” featuring Flo Rida and 

LunchMoney Lewis, then each celebrity will go on to perform a captivating and alluring Latin dance. 

Pitbull will also join Bruno Tonioli, Carrie Ann Inaba and Julianne Hough at the judges’ table as a guest judge.

Here’s what the song and dance list for Latin Night:
Marilu Henner & Derek Hough – Cha Cha – “Echa Pa’lante” by Thalia
Laurie Hernandez & Val Chmerkovskiy – Salsa – “Light It Up” by Major Lazar featuring Nyla & Fuse ODG
James Hinchcliffe & Sharna Burgess – Rumba – “Need the Sun to Break” by James Bay
Calvin Johnson Jr. & Lindsay Arnold – Argentine Tango – “Hotel California” by Eagles
Terra Jolé & Sasha Farber – Paso Doblé – “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” by Santa Esmeralda
Jana Kramer & Gleb Savchenko – Argentine Tango – “Hands to Myself” by Selena Gomez
Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke – Salsa – “La Negra Tiene Tumbao” by Celia Cruz
Maureen McCormick & Artem Chigvintsev – Samba – “Mas Que Nada” by Sergio Mendes featuring The Black Eyed Peas
Amber Rose & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Cha Cha – “Bla Bla Bla Cha Cha Cha” by Petty Booka

Dancing With The Stars airs Monday, October 17th @ 8PM ET/PT on ABC.

1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

That's what I meant. Zendaya had a solid fanbase which meant that she avoided an early cut (although she was always at the top of the leaderboard anyway). Sorry, I worded it in a way that sounded wrong haha. I think the producers are clearly pushing him as the new Tristan/Tony seeing as he usually gets (and does well with) older women. But I think if they gave him a teenager with a fanbase, he'd get them to the finale. He's won the show in England so he obviously knows how to win, he just needs the right partner.

It's worth a try. If Mark doesn't return after his Broadway gig, they'll need a new go-to guy for the kids, someone with the right mix of authority and youthfulness/playfulness that gets them to perform without intimidating them. 

Pitbull guest judging again next week then. I'll always remember him for straight up telling Janel and Val that they had no chemistry back when them and the show were desperately trying to push a showmance between the two. The look on Val's face was priceless!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Calvin Johnson Jr. & Lindsay Arnold – Argentine Tango – “Hotel California” by Eagles

Oh yay. The Worst Band on TV is going to murder that song and I'll never be able to listen to it the same way again.

11 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

They're pushing James really hard.  Phony jeopardy, inflated scores, prime order placement and now this.  Well Bindi started this way as well.  Anything to do with DWTS included pictures of Bindi/Derek during their season.  Maybe it will work for James/Sharna as well--especially with his life changing story.  Maybe if Sharna wins, they can start giving Emma some of the good celebs?

13 hours ago, PTVjones said:

I'm actually just remembering Mark's former partner Paige but I think she could have been great with Artem as well. Basically I always thought Artem was pretty great but he's never been given a partner where he didn't have to hold himself back. 

Agree because Paige had a lot of dance training.  So they would've looked fine together.  If she would've had as strong of a connection with him as she did with Mark is doubtful.  Mark seems to have a way of making them feel safe, secure, respected and valued.  But I'm glad they're giving the favorite teenager to someone else as well.  I just wish it had been someone other than Val.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, katha said:

It's also a slightly interesting and unusual set-up in that they gave this "human emoji" contestant to someone like Val, with his intensity.

Maybe this is why I've never liked the Val/Laurie partnership.  She should have a strong enough fanbase to keep her in until their connection improves.  I don't care how good you are.  Chemistry between partners means a lot.

1 hour ago, movement said:

They're pushing James really hard.  Phony jeopardy, inflated scores, prime order placement and now this.  Well Bindi started this way as well.  Anything to do with DWTS included pictures of Bindi/Derek during their season.  Maybe it will work for James/Sharna as well--especially with his life changing story.  Maybe if Sharna wins, they can start giving Emma some of the good celebs?

They want him in the finals, that's for sure. They're also gearing up for that "Sharna hasn't won a mirror ball yet, it's her time!" nonsense, perhaps not this season, but it will come soon enough. I think James is doing good in votes, though I can't gauge how good. He might not need help and they just push him for the heck of it, or it might be a case of "he's getting good votes, but not yet at a level that makes him a safe bet for the finals so they feel they need to push that more".

I still say they helped Laurie with that "struggle" narrative, she needs some sort of variety in her storyline and she can't be seen as coasting. Could be wrong, but I don't think Laurie and Val have any kind of trouble with votes at all. She has an energized fanbase, Val's fanbase is big and dedicated and they seem to really like Laurie (as opposed to Ginger, for example, where the general reaction seemed to be..."eh"), I think Laurie is also doing well with the general audience.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, movement said:

But James is a surprise. Nobody knows how anyone, especially a non-dancer will perform at show time.  However, statistics show anyone who is partnered with Derek is guaranteed top 4 before they even put a foot on the dance floor. Not so with Sharna, even though she has had a share of good dancers she's also had Andy Dick.  James went very early in the dance order on the first week since nobody knew him and with a small fanbase and his country shut out of the vote (unlike Bindi who enjoyed the Aussie vote) he could have easily been cannon fodder. It wasn't until he proved he could dance that they put him in a good dance order.(Bindi had a good dance order from the beginning)  I am not convinced that him in jeopardy was phony at all.  It's very possible that his vote was soft compared to the well known people on the show.  His story of inspiration came after jeopardy, he died and came back, he didn't have the constant reminder that a famous dead parent was watching over him.  I concede that this backstory is real insurance that he will be in finals. This is what people vote for regardless of how they dance.  He is a soft spoken likable guy, but there have been many on this show. The difference is this guy can emote, has mad chemistry with his partner and significantly improved his dance position in hold from week 1 to week 5. He isn't stagnant in his dance evolution, he's been a great student.  So I don't think he's been over scored. At this point in the competition  we normally see a few 30's. The first 30 on Laurie's Michael Jackson simple choreography was probably over scored, but people loved it.  James is not being tossed 30's yet, but he's getting good scores on some pretty technical dances, so kudos to a non-dancer to get there.  I think the show was initially teeing up  Marilu as the challenger to Laurie, youth vs maturity. Marilu has dance training and looks fantastic in practice.  Afterall Derek took another mature woman, Jennifer Grey to a win.  And if anything the rivalry between Derek and Val is something the showrunners encourage.

I agree that Laurie is killing the vote.  A freshly minted Olympic  gymnastic gold medalist will have 60% of the vote from the get go, just as Shawn Johnson did in season 8. Laurie is also a very sweet bubbly 16 year old that you can't help but like.  For James to challenge that will be a huge task.  

Edited by RedFiat
9 hours ago, movement said:

Maybe I'm missing it, but what is now this?  The links were to Previously's own recap of this week's DWTS.  I assume they chose the picture to put at the top, which was James/Sharna, and they weren't forced to use a picture of a particular couple.  From what I've read from media people, the go to media pictures for DWTS this season in terms of what is circulated to the the mainstream press are the Olympians--Laurie and Ryan.

Also DWTS does Most Memorable Year every season, which is always a sucker for the sob stories, so it's not like they introduced this theme just so James could tell his harrowing tale.  I think it was pretty much a given that James almost fatal crash, which only happened a year ago, would be his go to for such a night.

And if we want to play prime spot in the dance order, Laurie gets just as good placements at James does.  She has never danced in the first half of the show.  She's danced last, second to last, third from last and etc.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

RedFiat/spanana--I guess James is your favorite???   There really isn't a couple that pulls me in on a weekly basis or any that repel me for that matter.  So no horse in the race.  Just making observations and conspiracy theories because it's fun.  There will always be people who don't see things the same way you do. 

After seeing the partnerships (before the show started), I selected Laurie as the winner with Marilu and James following.  So I'm not as surprised about him doing well as most.  It just looks like they are trying to sure up his support.  However it looks like Marilu won't make it eventhough I loved her last dance.  Oh well.  I still think she was a good bet.

I think some of the "over scoring" is coming from it being the time of the season where unless they go out there and completely bomb they're going to get at least an 8, so it doesn't leave much room for improvement so the people who are doing well have nowhere to go except 9's and 10's. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, movement said:

RedFiat/spanana--I guess James is your favorite???   There really isn't a couple that pulls me in on a weekly basis or any that repel me for that matter.  So no horse in the race.  Just making observations and conspiracy theories because it's fun.  There will always be people who don't see things the same way you do.

Not at all.  I have no favorite.  I like talking about DWTS, but I haven't cast a vote and none of these people inspire me to do so.  I like James, Calvin, Laurie and etc., but I'm not in love with any of them as dancers/performers, or at least not enough to vote.  Honestly my favorite dance this past week was probably Marilu's dance.   If anything I enjoyed Paige and Wanya last season more than I'm currently enjoying anyone this season, again, as performers.

Would I mind James winning?  No, not at all.  Do I think he will win?  No, not at all.  He's got runner-up written all over him.  Though it would be nice to have the non-obvious winner for the first time in many seasons.  From about S18 on I've found it all rather boring, because the winner was always super obvious from day one of the season.  I've predicted every winner from the first night of competition, because well, it hasn't been hard.  Meryl, Alfonso, Rumer, Bindi, Nyle.  Laurie's name is practically already etched there as well.  The only thing that could possibly stand in Laurie's way is her own health, and at last check she had all but seemingly stopped doing the Kellogg's tour (or at least did last week), so if her schedule isn't a factor, then the path is clear.

8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well the conspiracy theories about one celebrity being pushed must occur every season. The season wouldn't be the same without it.

I also wonder if the tour has anything to do with it. Say Ryan, Terra and Marilu all go in some combo the next 3 eliminations, the Top 6 would be all the non troupe pros minus Jenna and Emma going on tour.

Edited by CED9
16 hours ago, movement said:

After seeing the partnerships (before the show started), I selected Laurie as the winner with Marilu and James following.  So I'm not as surprised about him doing well as most.  It just looks like they are trying to sure up his support.  However it looks like Marilu won't make it eventhough I loved her last dance.  Oh well.  I still think she was a good bet.

Yes,  James is a favorite.  But I also think Laurie is fantastic and Calvin is hugely likable.  I have not been invested in the show for awhile, I just was not really into the celebs.  Last year I really liked Paige as a dancer but was not interested in her fighting career, and I thought Nyle  had potential but never improved and had a sort of skeevy personality. 

This year James is just a heck of human being and I might be tempted to watch Indy.  Maybe.   I do not watch the Olympics, maybe a highlight reel, and I watch the NFL if it is on.  But this demo loves gymnastics.  Laurie is the first to get a perfect score and the Salsa should be another perfect score.  A likable NFL football player will also get in the top 4.  But it is surprising to assume that James being partnered with Sharna is an automatic shot at the top 3. This is her 8th season and she has only had two top 3 finalists.  Her record is spotty in terms of getting celebs to the finals.  She's had a partner go in week 1 (Keyshawn Johnson) in her second season after she proved herself with how far her unique choreography could take Andy Dick, and in another season a shock who should have been a finalist finish 5th (Charlie White).  She could win with James, but I would not have predicted it unless I saw him dance first. 

Edited by RedFiat
1 hour ago, RedFiat said:

But it is surprising to assume that James being partnered with Sharna is an automatic shot at the top 3. This is her 8th season and she has only had two top 3 finalists.  Her record is spotty in terms of getting celebs to the finals.  She's had a partner go in week 1 (Keyshawn Johnson) in her second season after she proved herself with how far her unique choreography could take Andy Dick, and in another season a shock who should have been a finalist finish 5th (Charlie White).  She could win with James, but I would not have predicted it unless I saw him dance first. 

Before the show starts, I pick based on what I think the celeb dance ability or fanbase may be.  After the first couple of weeks, you will know the abilities.  Another couple of weeks and you'll know who the demo and TPTB favors. 

I really don't like most of Sharna's choreography and I seldom like the chemistry she has with her partners.  However, in reading the boards, she seems to be a favorite and TPTB seem to like her as well.   James was such an unknown to most of the US DWTS audience.  So why would they pair him with Sharna (one of TPTB favorites who hasn't won yet)?  There was no other male who look like a DWTS juggernaut.  TBH, I'm surprised by Calvin.  He's so tall (and large feet) that I figured he wouldn't be "pleasing" to the eye when he dances.  Shorter men just look better on the dance floor especially with the shorter female pro.  By process of elimination, I figured James must be the best male celeb this season.  Chances are a male will be part of the F3--not a guarantee, just a good chance.  I put w-a-y too much thought into this show.   There's so much manipulation that this is one of the ways that I have fun with the show.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, CED9 said:

I also wonder if the tour has anything to do with it. Say Ryan, Terra and Marilu all go in some combo the next 3 eliminations, the Top 6 would be all the non troupe pros minus Jenna and Emma going on tour.

I think that would be more of a coincidence than it is engineering by tptb.   They clearly push for their final 3.  Of the final 4, I think 3 are pushed by tptb and the 4th in that group is a fan fave (not to say the fan fave places 4th but is in the group of final 4 - 4th place could be either the fan fave or one of tptb's faves).  I think it would be too hard for them to manipulate the final 6 just because they are on the tour.

I am just now getting to watch last Monday's show.  What is up with them running out and hugging Marilu??  Her dance was okay, but seriously?????

Are they determined to shove Golden Boy to the finals again?  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, smiley13 said:

I am just now getting to watch last Monday's show.  What is up with them running out and hugging Marilu??  Her dance was okay, but seriously?????

Are they determined to shove Golden Boy to the finals again?  

I watched Marilu and Derek's V. Waltz one more time. IMHO, they deserved at least one 10. That was Marilu's best dance, hands down. She finally was able to relax into the dance and it flowed so beautifully.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2016 at 8:53 PM, bantering said:

Julianne Hough is traditionally pretty in that all-American way and has a very good body, but I think her face may not actually be interesting enough to pull off the looks that she does. That's probably why her looks fail. A lot of these looks fail even on other celebrities.    You usually have to be an actual model  or Tilda Swinton to pull them off. 

I think virtually anything Hough fails for the tiny subsection of viewers on this site.  I see Julianne in the style magazines all the time.  

When you see a "celebrity" like Julianne in a style magazine, it is usually because she wants to keep herself alive publicity-wise.  She is more willing to do lower-level celebrity stuff for less money than an A list celebrity.  Add her all-American look and story, her (completely common with B-list celebs) buy-in to the status quo (i.e. she is happy selling stuff or the idea of getting more stuff), the fact that she was/is hot, and her entertainingly iffy love life --  style mags would be nuts not to let her exploit their publicity factory.  This doesn't mean that she actually has style or is someone to model one's style after.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think virtually anything Hough fails for the tiny subsection of viewers on this site.  I see Julianne in the style magazines all the time.  

I didn't say she wasn't in style magazines. I'm saying that the looks she uses on the show fit a very narrow subset of people. You don't have to be pretty like she is to pull of those looks, but I think you do have to be a little unconventional in some way. Cindy Crawford is a supermodel, and I don't think even she would look good in the stuff Julianne Hough is styled in. 

So I loved the opening "My Heart Will Go On" number and I've watched it quite a few times now, which is the only reason I noticed something hilarious (normally I never notice stuff like this) - right near the end (about 3:02 in this video), Allison and Jenna accidentally slap hands! When I showed Mr. Tessaforever he was like "High five!" - it's so funny:

• Love 1