Dana Harper (3)
Gabe Broussard (2)
Ethan Tucker (2)
Dan Shafer (1)
Josh Gallagher (2)
Austin Allsup (1)
Christian Fermin (1)*
Preston James (1)*

Names in bold incidate artists who've newly been added to a team.  Numbers in parentheses indicate the number of chair turns.  An asterisk indicates that this artist was montaged.

Edited by Jabu
  • Love 2

Poor Blake. He got mostly one chairs and the only coach whose contestants are montaged. I'm not surprised because he is not enthusiastic when fighting for contestants this season. Too laid back for his own good. But I'm sure he'll turn it around during lives like he usually does.

Wouldn't you know it?  Just as I laud the show for having no montages on Monday's episode, they bring them in on Tuesday's.  But since these were two one-chair auditions, I'm not as bothered as most would be.

Team Adam

Simone Gundy: Given Adam's penchant of not doing right by most of his black artists, I expect her time on his team to be incredibly short.  Good vocals, but she should've gone with Miley.

Nolan Neal: Another artist whom I think was better-served with another coach.  His voice was big and powerful, but it was suited more to Blake, from what I could see.  Adam will probably pass him through the Battles, but we'll see about the Knockouts.  He'll probably beat anyone on his team there except for Billy.

Team Miley

Aaron Gibson: This guy shares a first name with my little brother, so I was predisposed to root for him automatically.  Even more so if he picked anyone but Adam.  His voice was pretty damn good, and I'm glad that Miley got another guy on her team.  I think she'll do right by him.

Darby Walker: Solid vocals, but maybe a questionable song choice.  I think she'd have been right to pick either female coach, as there's no way Blake would've been a good choice.  Miley will take her through the Battles, at least, but I'm not sure if she'll pass her through the Knockouts, too.

Khaliya Kimberlie: First Native American artist, perhaps?  I've been hearing "Dibs" on the radio all summer due to my job as a security officer, whose partner listens only to country music all day, so I was getting rather sick of it.  But she did a good job with it, and I'm glad she picked Miley to finally give her a country artist that she easily stole from Blake.

Team Alicia

Gabriel Violett: Gorgeous voice and tone.  He could have some staying power on Alicia's team with the right song choices.  But with so many stronger people on her team at the moment, I might see him get through the Battles, but not the Knockouts.

Michael Sanchez: Of course Adam makes it racial regarding him.  Classy, Adam, likening him to a sixty-plus-year-old black guy.  That said, one-chair-turns rarely go far.  Alicia might very well have picked up some easy Battle fodder for one of her stronger members.

Halle Tomlinson: I thought India Carney did "New York State of Mind" much better, but then again, she focused more on power, while Halle focused more on control.  That was a very sweet interpretation of the song, and it deserved the turns she got.  Of those available, I think Alicia was the right choice.  But with an already stacked team, she'd better hope for the right song to get past the Battles.

Team Blake

Josh Gallagher: I imagine he'll be one of Blake's few contenders due to the overall weakness of his team thus far.  His voice was good, but nothing too special.

Austin Allsup: Another guy who'll be on Blake's team for a while by default of no one else awfully strong emerging.

Montages

I don't think Christian Fermin was montaged just for being Asian.  It was probably just for being an easy, throwaway, one-chair audition.  Ditto Preston James.  I'm okay with most one-chairs getting montaged.  That said, both of them sounded okay from what little I heard.  I did like Christian a lot and think maybe he could last with the right opponent.  But Preston might be easy fodder.

On a final note, it's kinda sad that Blake only has one woman on his team after nine slots have been filled.  Guess Alicia and Miley are really doing their best to snatch all the women they can.

Edited by Michel

I keep fearing that this show is going to turn into a halfway house for washed up child actors. I cringe every time we see another one. I liked Nolan for the same reason I admired the contestants on the adult versions of SYTYCD; he took the advice and got better. I hope he does well. 

• Love 2

I loved the scene where Miley would not shut up and Blake told her she was sucking all the air out of the room.  That was awesome! 

I did too. I don't mind Miley but sometimes she needs to shut up.

The thing with Miley for me is not the amount  she speaks but the volume her natural voice is. She is those type of people who only has one volume, and that is loud. I feel like it's a wall of sound whenever she speaks. Me watching on TV isn't that bad but I can imagine how it would be like in the live theatre with mics.

• Love 1

I'm embarrassed to admit that I find Blake's relationship with Miley (like big brother and annoying little sister) pretty funny and a nice change from Blake v. Adam, with Adam now more in bf mode.

I hadn't paid much attention to Miley's career or image--know what most casual people would--but I think they made a good choice in bringing her on.  Sometimes you feel like you're watching a kid, and then she shifts and sounds like a mature adult professional. She definitely has her pitch down very very well--and I think it's hurt Blake's appeal (Adam's too, but not to that extent). I don't think he minds--don't think he really wants to win again anyway--but it's interesting to watch.   I liked Miley's pitch that "all I've got home is my cat so I'll put in a lot of time for you like I did when I helped coaches before". She would have convinced me she'd be a hard worker on behalf of the singer--a good pitch that neither Adam nor Blake ever say.  Plus, she does seem fresh and young and fun and I could see why a young person would think she might relate to and coach them better.

Alicia's very good, too--bringing some of Pharrell's kindness and Gwen's nurturing, with more articulate and insightful pitches--plus the aura of being a very down to earth "big star" who wants to mentor you.

• Love 4

I was trying to remember which woman sang the Tom Jones song ("I who have nothing adore you"), and ran across this little tidbit. I didn't know Tom Jones was a coach on The Voice UK. It never occurred to me that the coaches would be pressured to turn their chairs.

“They kept telling us we needed to turn our chairs more,” he told the Sunday Telegraph. ”And I said no, it has to be real. I don’t want to be lumbered with somebody I don’t like. I have a reputation for picking good voices. But they were pressing on me, and that’s exactly what happened. I ended up with this red-haired girl [likely to be Roisin Geraghty-McDonagh] that I didn’t like. They hate it when we don’t turn but I kept telling them it has to be real.”

The veteran singer, who was axed from the show to make way for Boy George and Paloma Faith, also made it clear that the celebrity “coaches” on the show do not actually coach the singers they select in blind auditions. “The real coaches are singing coaches who keep us informed about how far the contestants can stretch themselves."

12 minutes ago, ennui said:

I was trying to remember which woman sang the Tom Jones song ("I who have nothing adore you"), and ran across this little tidbit. I didn't know Tom Jones was a coach on The Voice UK. It never occurred to me that the coaches would be pressured to turn their chairs.

“They kept telling us we needed to turn our chairs more,” he told the Sunday Telegraph. ”And I said no, it has to be real. I don’t want to be lumbered with somebody I don’t like. I have a reputation for picking good voices. But they were pressing on me, and that’s exactly what happened. I ended up with this red-haired girl [likely to be Roisin Geraghty-McDonagh] that I didn’t like. They hate it when we don’t turn but I kept telling them it has to be real.”

The veteran singer, who was axed from the show to make way for Boy George and Paloma Faith, also made it clear that the celebrity “coaches” on the show do not actually coach the singers they select in blind auditions. “The real coaches are singing coaches who keep us informed about how far the contestants can stretch themselves."

You made me think it would be fun to give Adam and Blake a season off, keep Alicia and Miley and bring on Tom Jones and Boy George to join them.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, ennui said:

Yeah, I posted that interview somewhere (maybe in the media thread).  Oddly enough, it was just announced that Tom Jones is returning to the Voice UK as the show moves to another network.  Other coaches include Jennifer Hudson, will.i.am, and Gavin Rossdale (Gwen Stefani's ex-husband).  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-jones-return-voice-uk-933708

Edited by Noreaster

So I finally caught up on this season's blind auditions on youtube.  Seems very heavy on R&B/soul with a dose of Billy Joel and jazz (and I guess piano-centric arrangements?).  Not as much pop and country.  I wish there was more rock. I'm happy there aren't a ton of 15-17 year olds like the past few seasons.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Padma said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I find Blake's relationship with Miley (like big brother and annoying little sister) pretty funny and a nice change from Blake v. Adam, with Adam now more in bf mode.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that at all. Even though I'm not a fan of Miley's goat voice, she always did seem like a sweetheart underneath all the antics she puts on to get attention/sell music. She and Blake are a great combo. Plus, this definitely kept Adam and Blake from arguing with each other all the time (although that doesn't bother me, it's a little old). 

I have to say this is my favorite group of coaches after Christina/CeeLo. Usher/Shakira would be third for me. I wasn't a fan of Pharrell or Gwen show-wise.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ennui said:

I think that happened this season with Alicia on this audition. You can see Alicia doesn't really want to push her button, and at 57 seconds Blake says, "you gotta do it." Alicia makes a face like she REALLY doesn't want to and then pushes her button.

It may have happened with this one two. I was a bit suspicious when she said she had a great feeling about the audition before he sang, then pushed her button automatically. 

Edited by mangosplums

Since Alicia was the only one to turn for that contestant, maybe not.  According to Tom Jones, the reason why they were encouraged to turn more was so the contestants could choose between multiple coaches.  It makes for more entertaining TV.  Here are the links to his interviews:

I think that the high number of 4-chair turns in some US seasons may be producer influence though.  They used to be somewhat rare in the earlier seasons but not anymore.  At that time, I had attributed it to certain coaches (Usher/Shakira, Pharrell/Gwen) being less selective but I'm much more cynical about the show now.

2 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

Since Alicia was the only one to turn for that contestant, maybe not.  According to Tom Jones, the reason why they were encouraged to turn more was so the contestants could choose between multiple coaches.  It makes for more entertaining TV.  Here are the links to his interviews:

I think that the high number of 4-chair turns in some US seasons may be producer influence though.  They used to be somewhat rare in the earlier seasons but not anymore.  At that time, I had attributed it to certain coaches (Usher/Shakira, Pharrell/Gwen) being less selective but I'm much more cynical about the show now.

Maybe, but Alicia wasn't turning for anyone for a while. I feel like they told her, you HAVE to turn already. The first video, it really doesn't look like she wants to to me, but I could be wrong.

I mean who knows for sure.

You do know that the blind auditions are shown completely out of order, right?  I haven't watched the episodes this season, but they used to craft many of them with some sort of narrative about how certain coaches are struggling to fill their team or to highlight a "rivalry" between two coaches.  

3 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

I mean who knows for sure.

You do know that the blind auditions are shown completely out of order, right?  I haven't watched the episodes this season, but they used to craft many of them with some sort of narrative about how certain coaches are struggling to fill their team or to highlight a "rivalry" between two coaches.  

Yeah, I know, regardless, I was just getting that impression with Alicia for a few of them. But I think in terms of them wanting more coaches to turn to bring more drama, it could be why we always see a second couch turn at the last minute on what would have been a one chair turn audition. 

1 minute ago, mangosplums said:

Yeah, I know, regardless, I was just getting that impression with Alicia for a few of them. But I think in terms of them wanting more coaches to turn to bring more drama, it could be why we always see a second couch turn at the last minute on what would have been a one chair turn audition. 

Yeah, I agree.  Blake especially.  He's always a good team player.  

They do air them out of order. Which is sometimes why a coach didn't turn around because their team is full. Which I don't think they have got to this point yet.  I hate when they spoil what is coming next. I'm thankful watching a recording, so I just fast forward right before that part.

Anyhow, I am liking this season and the four chair turn guy was great :)

Edited by blueray

Just have to say that "I Who Have Nothing" may have been covered many years later by Tom Jones, but it is not "a Tom Jones song." I do like Tom Jones, but the definitive version of that song will always be the original, by Ben E. King, in 1963.

Don't want to sound obnoxious or like a snob, but with the availability of You Tube, it's easy to find out the original artist for songs that have been covered multiple times. It bugs (at least slightly) when people say things like, "I'm going to sing Feeling Good by Michael Buble."

23 hours ago, Michel said:
23 hours ago, Michel said:

Khaliya Kimberlie: First Native American artist, perhaps?  

Actually, she's the second one this season. There's the long haired guy from Texas who sang "Forever Young," in a not technically perfect but emotionally haunting voice. Seems he was raised by his white cattle rancher Dad, but he's biologically half Native American, as is Khaliya.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to like Miley, now that she's toned down the antics from the opening episode. She seems sincere and actually evaluates the performances on a musical basis. So, comparing her to previous female coaches, I don't think we'll see her fixating on fashion and appearance (Gwen) or trying to turn the female singers into mini-versions of herself (Christina).

Edited by bluepiano
24 minutes ago, blueray said:

They do air them out of order. Which is sometimes why a coach didn't turn around because their team is full. Which I don't think they have got to this point yet.

I think a few of the three-chair-turns that have not included Adam are because his team filled up first.  And I think all of these Blake/Miley faceoffs we've seen are probably because Alicia filled her team second.  Could be wrong, but I definitely think they filled their teams first and second, in either order.

6 hours ago, Noreaster said:

...it was just announced that Tom Jones is returning to the Voice UK as the show moves to another network.  Other coaches include Jennifer Hudson, will.i.am, and Gavin Rossdale (Gwen Stefani's ex-husband).  

Noooo! That panel sounds so snoozy. I loved Boy Beorge. His personality sparkled and he had a very quick wit! And the man can rock a chapeau!  

In other news, whatever I think of her talent or in-your-face sexuality stuff, it's hard not to like Miley, she's obviously a nice person. 

17 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Just have to say that "I Who Have Nothing" may have been covered many years later by Tom Jones, but it is not "a Tom Jones song." I do like Tom Jones, but the definitive version of that song will always be the original, by Ben E. King, in 1963.

Don't want to sound obnoxious or like a snob, but with the availability of You Tube, it's easy to find out the original artist for songs that have been covered multiple times.

Speaking for myself, it's a Tom Jones song. I'm too old to research everything on YouTube.

• Love 2
On 9/29/2016 at 1:02 PM, Padma said:

I hadn't paid much attention to Miley's career or image--know what most casual people would--but I think they made a good choice in bringing her on.  Sometimes you feel like you're watching a kid, and then she shifts and sounds like a mature adult professional. She definitely has her pitch down very very well--and I think it's hurt Blake's appeal (Adam's too, but not to that extent). I don't think he minds--don't think he really wants to win again anyway--but it's interesting to watch.   I liked Miley's pitch that "all I've got home is my cat so I'll put in a lot of time for you like I did when I helped coaches before". She would have convinced me she'd be a hard worker on behalf of the singer--a good pitch that neither Adam nor Blake ever say.  Plus, she does seem fresh and young and fun and I could see why a young person would think she might relate to and coach them better.

Alicia's very good, too--bringing some of Pharrell's kindness and Gwen's nurturing, with more articulate and insightful pitches--plus the aura of being a very down to earth "big star" who wants to mentor you.

I agree with your thoughts on Miley and Alicia.  I thought Miley had a great point when she said that she only has cats and has plenty of time to work with her team.  It was great that she brought up the fact that she did that last season as a mentor.  I also had the same thought about Alicia and her pitches. 

• Love 4

Just finished watching the episode on tape. I didn't get the enthusiasm for the girl who sang "New York State of Mind." She was "pitchy" (tm Randy Jackson) and her enunciation wasn't clear. On a song like that you really need to not be slurring the lyrics.

I thought the guy who sang "Five Hundred Miles" had a good voice, but he shot himself in the foot with an odd arrangement of a song that was already quirky to begin with. The off-tempo clapping by the audience didn't help. You could tell that the judges were struggling to get into it.

So, lesson learned for future contestants. Sing a familiar song, and if you're going to "make it your own," don't stray too far from the original. Case in point was the final audition. Yeah, he was good, but I think he was also really helped by the fact that "Tiny Dancer" is a song everyone knows and can easily relate to.

Edited by bluepiano
41 minutes ago, snappyjo said:

Are the judges going to wear the same outfits all seasons? I have watched 3 ahows and am really sick of whatever Miley has sewed on, and Alicias rag on her head!

Because the various segments in each round are aired out of order, the coaches are told to wear the same outfit in each round.  They each have one outfit they wear throughout the Blinds, one they wear throughout the Battles, and one they wear throughout the Knockouts.

2 hours ago, Michel said:

Because the various segments in each round are aired out of order, the coaches are told to wear the same outfit in each round.  They each have one outfit they wear throughout the Blinds, one they wear throughout the Battles, and one they wear throughout the Knockouts.

I sure wish Miley had chosen something else. 

1 hour ago, Michel said:

I think the jean outfit is fine.  I just wish she didn't have all of those flowers.

Yes, I agree. It's the flowers that were only one-night-worthy.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 3