Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Mrs. Hanson, I wish you all the best on your big day!!  Relax, breathe, and makes sure you take the time to enjoy it with your new husband, because it is absolutely true--it goes by in a flash.

Thank you!  I know it flies by!!  I had my first wedding dream last night:  I woke up on Saturday, forgot where to go for my hair, was late for everything then a childhood neighbor refused to help me zipper my dress (why he was there I am not sure) then was three hours late.  Yikes!!!

My first wedding was for the most part what we wanted but A LOT of stuff that parents wanted.  Fine, but this time it is what WE want.  (He is my second and final hubby, the way I wrote that makes it seem like I am remarrying my first hubby (god no) or having a vow renewal.  I may have said this before on this board but our total budget is $2500!!  Whoo hoo!!!

5 hours ago, Lovecat said:

money can't buy taste

No it can't - look at Pinina Tournai gowns on SYTTD!  

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, Lovecat said:

We did have a photobooth, yes, and an Irish trio played the cocktail hour.  No ice sculptures, no swans, no paté, no white-gloved waiters, Plenty of good food and booze, no animals were harmed, and the dance floor was busy all night.  A pretty damn good party, if I may say so myself.  I like to think my Overall Experience score would have come in somewhere around a 25 :)

Aww that's great! Love the Irish trio idea. Hopefully nobody scarfed down so much food during cocktail hour that they sniffed at your main course and gave you a mental 2 for too much food ;-)

18 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

No it can't - look at Pinina Tournai gowns on SYTTD!  

Good lord, those are ghastly, to me anyways. If you got the bucks to buy one of those I say bless your heart.

34 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Aww that's great! Love the Irish trio idea. Hopefully nobody scarfed down so much food during cocktail hour that they sniffed at your main course and gave you a mental 2 for too much food ;-)

Nope, we had "normal" cocktail hour food:  veg, fruit, cheese, flatbreads, and Swedish meatballs.  Enough for a nibble to hold you over, but not enough to ruin your appetite for dinner!  That was one of my sources of agita, though--I've been to 3 weddings in the last year, and 2 of them had outrageous cocktail hour spreads.  It seems "expected" now, but to me it's just so wasteful.

• Love 1

I agree, I'm all for a little nibble pre-dinner. I suppose if you don't mind spending the money though 1st dinner could be fun if you don't glut yourself silly then complain there's too much food like our four wedding brides tend to do. It's like the Goldilocks of reality shows. Too much food, not enough food, too much alcohol, not enough alcohol. I have no designs on getting married but I hope I've learned a thing or two from watching this show. It really is a guilty pleasure of mine and I wish they'd make more.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I hope I've learned a thing or two from watching this show. It really is a guilty pleasure of mine and I wish they'd make more.

They are!!  The new premise is four brides competing who know each other.  Of course they may not be friends after viewing each other comments.....

4 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Love the Irish trio idea.

Me too!  Sounds lovely!  Are you Irish?  What a nice nod to your Irish heritage w/out vomiting up shamrocks all over and hiring leprechans!!!

3 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

It's like the Goldilocks of reality shows. Too much food, not enough food, too much alcohol, not enough alcohol.

You hit in on the head.....but it should be added that every bride thinks:  "My wedding is just right!"  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

They are!!  The new premise is four brides competing who know each other.  Of course they may not be friends after viewing each other comments.....

I didn't know...something to look forward to!!  Count on me being here to "review" the new shows.

So this Saturday is the big event...hope it is a great day with many more to follow!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Know each other as in friends?  That would not be a good idea for any friendship. Maybe they 'just' know each other, & are not friends, & hopefully don't work together or will have to work together.

Yikes - where'd you get the info?

I hope you enjoy the wedding but moreover wishing you a wonderful marriage - & you @Lovecat as well.

• Love 1

Ooh! *clapping hands and happy dance* This sounds exciting. Perhaps a bit of Bridezillas and Four Weddings! What could possibly go wrong!? And do I miss Bridezillas too. I'm such a sick puppy for these bridal shows.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Yikes - where'd you get the info?

I belong to a Four Wedding Facebook page!!  (Don't judge me!!!  LOL!)  Here is the copy from the FB page:

"Four Weddings is back and this time, it's personal! The catch? The brand-new season will feature four friends or family members who are all planning to get married in 2017. From cakes to table setups, dresses, catering and music, the series will capture the emotional and sometimes funny moments that happen when friendships and families collide, all in the name of matrimony.

Each episode will feature the four brides and shine a light on their friendships with each other-- judging their weddings in different categories such as venue, food, originality and dress. The bonds of friendship will surely be tested as only one bride can have the best of the four weddings. The highest scoring couple will receive a generous honeymoon vacation prize."

Now this sounds like a horrifying/awesome/cattiness/bitchiness at it's finest!!!  Not sure of a start date but I will be tuning it for certain!!

21 hours ago, ichbin said:

So this Saturday is the big event...hope it is a great day with many more to follow!

Thank you!!  

• Love 1

Sorry the above post is so big:  I can't make the picture smaller.  I tried to put one in of me and my new hubby but he is six foot seven and his head kept getting cropped off!!  My two sons were my "best men" and the day was just about perfect!!  Just an awesome day with family, friends and lots of love.  

PS - for all my griping about "doing something special with your hair".......the day had a very light rain, it was humid and my hair drooped as the day went on.  This picture was right before the gathering ended.

Super glad for all the decisions we made - simple weddings are the best!!!  (At least for us!!!)

So....I give my dress ($60 off Amazon) a 9, my food was a 10, my venue was a 10 (MN Landscape Arboretum - can't be beat!) and my overall experience was a 10!!!

Of course.......it sprinkled a little - HORRORS!  There were no props and all that stuff......more horror!!!  But it was just a great day - I think it was almost perfect.   Perfect for us, at least!!  Okay - I finally got one that works!!! LOL!  Sorry for taking up so much space!!!  We had a hard time keeping straight faces on this shot:  we normally don't look into each other's eyes so intensely!!!  

22310446_10214538159197131_2440910495886555004_n (1).jpg

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 10
57 minutes ago, Beaner said:

Mrs. H, thank you for sharing your pictures! You are beautiful and the hubs and sons are very good looking.  Many blessings and congratulations to you all!

Thank you!  Here is a little insider secret:  On my right hand, on my middle finger, was my dad's HS class ring.  I told no one (unless someone asked) and that was my way of having him near me.  No memorial table, no sir.   Just a little thing I wanted to do.

Short ceremony + great food = great time!!  Listen up, Four Weddings brides!!

• Love 1

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your pics! You both look so happy! I'll give a 9. You would've gotten a 10 but I just know MY hair would've frizzed in that weather ;-)

I hope you'll keep us posted here about the new show. I'll have to peek onto fb for that page.

4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Congrats! Lovely photo!

Hubby and I were laughing during our wedding photos, are you supposed to be all sexy and serious? How??

I don't think it was meant to serious, I starting chanting "I believe in Mary Worth" over and over to make him laugh!!  Believe me, in the photos we have we are smiling quite a bit!!!  We do love to laugh.  I would not marry a guy who can't laugh at himself or make me laugh!!  With my kids I kept asking, "Are you snapping???" in regards to Snapchat, followed by a (jokingly) stern:  "STOP SNAPPING!"  Or:  "STOP TWEETING!!"   Yes we are all a little odd.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your pics! You both look so happy! I'll give a 9. You would've gotten a 10 but I just know MY hair would've frizzed in that weather ;-)

Yes, and I didn't provide floss for my guests!!!  (Remember that woman?  Nothing to complain about so she chooses....floss.  Ugh.) Truthfully, if I was on Four Weddings the other brides would have laid an egg:  "I had to WALK!  in a POURING RAIN!  (it was barely sprinkling, but ya know.....) then....the ceremony was SO QUICK!  But she paused to cry so I guess that shows a real connection.....Then we had to WALK TO THE BUFFET LINE.....like isn't a wedding supposed to have plated food?  And on and on and on.....

I thought once I was wed I would slow my roll on loving to hate this show but clearly this 1mm band of gold on my left finger has done nothing to silence that......

• Love 2
On 10/9/2017 at 9:14 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Super glad for all the decisions we made - simple weddings are the best!!!  (At least for us!!!)

Well done, Mrs, Hanson!  Congratulations!!  So glad to hear the day went well.  

You looked lovely and the menfolk handsome. 

Thanks for giving us a peek!

On 10/9/2017 at 9:14 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Sorry the above post is so big:  I can't make the picture smaller.  I tried to put one in of me and my new hubby but he is six foot seven and his head kept getting cropped off!!  My two sons were my "best men" and the day was just about perfect!!  Just an awesome day with family, friends and lots of love.  

PS - for all my griping about "doing something special with your hair".......the day had a very light rain, it was humid and my hair drooped as the day went on.  This picture was right before the gathering ended.

So....I give my dress ($60 off Amazon) a 9, my food was a 10, my venue was a 10 (MN Landscape Arboretum - can't be beat!) and my overall experience was a 10!!!

Of course.......it sprinkled a little - HORRORS!  There were no props and all that stuff......more horror!!!  But it was just a great day - I think it was almost perfect.   Perfect for us, at least!!  Okay - I finally got one that works!!! LOL!  Sorry for taking up so much space!!!  We had a hard time keeping straight faces on this shot:  we normally don't look into each other's eyes so intensely!!!  

22310446_10214538159197131_2440910495886555004_n (1).jpg

Mazel Tov!  Your dress and flowers are beautiful but your smiles...they say it all!!

I was half-paying attention to one today, "...and a phantom." I tuned in late but was in time to see one bride who was way too devoted to spray-tan and ate like a toddler, one whose husband showed up with her at the reception in a Phantom of the Opera mask and carried her in, and one who supposedly had an angel theme. Her reception lost power but not until she had featured little people dressed up as cupids. I think that wedding may top any others I can think of for insensitivity.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I was half-paying attention to one today, "...and a phantom." I tuned in late but was in time to see one bride who was way too devoted to spray-tan and ate like a toddler, one whose husband showed up with her at the reception in a Phantom of the Opera mask and carried her in, and one who supposedly had an angel theme. Her reception lost power but not until she had featured little people dressed up as cupids. I think that wedding may top any others I can think of for insensitivity.

Oh I remember that one, too!!  The Spray Tan Bride was very sweet and at least owned up to her toddler food issues.  The other brides chapped on her for saying "obey" as well.  The Phantom mask was a puzzler.  And the little people as cupids?  Yikes........

I would not choose to say obey but for some brides, that is their choice.  Gotta respect it.  Plus, you have know this girl for what, a few weeks?  And your meetings have been a lunch and attending others weddings?  Not exactly close to make judgments on their wedding vows.

17 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Mazel Tov!  Your dress and flowers are beautiful but your smiles...they say it all!!

Thank you!  I can share some of the things we were saying:  "Gee your chin wax missed a spot!" or "Wow I didn't know your eye was still infected!"  And on and on.....yes we like to laugh!  Per my flowers:  No long shopping trips for me.....I called a local florist over my lunch break two weeks before, described my wants (and my budget!) and said go for it.  Never saw it until the day before.  Bridezilla, thy name is not Mrs. Hanson.

• Love 2

Does anyone know the name of the one based in San Francisco where the bride low balled all the others and ended up in fourth place?  "And a Pilgrim" and "And a Hookah Lounge" are on Friday (I am off work, I do not own a recording device" and I might buy the San Fran/low ball one on Youtube just to see the glory of it.  She was the "no floss???" girl as well if that helps.

"And a Bacon Bar" is on today  - I remember that one as the girl had a princess theme in a castle (yawn) but I did feel kinda bad for her as I am betting she toured the space and it was empty and probably very beautiful.  But wedding day came, it was summer and now it is packed, hot and no A/C.  Didn't go over too well......

I liked the venue for "And a Pilgrim" but then I like the historical aspect of it & places like that, so it was up my alley. It was done well too, from what I can recall. And that was the one with the tight ass ship bride, right? She low balled someone's food because she ordered the shrimp & couldn't eat it off the skewer. She was very uptight.

38 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

She was very uptight.

I say this with love but you need to be more specific!

38 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I liked the venue for "And a Pilgrim" but then I like the historical aspect of it & places like that, so it was up my alley. It was done well too, from what I can recall. And that was the one with the tight ass ship bride, right? She low balled someone's food because she ordered the shrimp & couldn't eat it off the skewer. She was very uptight.

I liked that venue too as I love history.  Shocked she did well considering there was no BLING! or POP OF COLOR! or FIREWORKS!

6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Does anyone know the name of the one based in San Francisco where the bride low balled all the others and ended up in fourth place?  "And a Pilgrim" and "And a Hookah Lounge" are on Friday (I am off work, I do not own a recording device" and I might buy the San Fran/low ball one on Youtube just to see the glory of it.  She was the "no floss???" girl as well if that helps.

"And a Bacon Bar" is on today  - I remember that one as the girl had a princess theme in a castle (yawn) but I did feel kinda bad for her as I am betting she toured the space and it was empty and probably very beautiful.  But wedding day came, it was summer and now it is packed, hot and no A/C.  Didn't go over too well......

I was mad that Harvard bride won. I liked her wedding--hers was first--but then she was so negative about EVERYTHING at the other three weddings, not sure if she had anything nice to say at all, so I was hoping for a 4th place for her!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I say this with love but you need to be more specific!

Thank you for being sweet about it LOL.  From what I recall she barely cracked a smile & seemed very stiff. I didn't see anything warm about her, even at her own wedding she seemed very formal. Except when it got to the reception, I think, but then she had her obnoxious friends irritate the other guest brides with their over the top behavior. I think she set that up thinking that's what they'd like & it backfired badly. I did like her dress though, from what I recall.

Edited by gonecrackers

My theory is Harvard bride ONLY won because she had a sob story moment with her dad down the aisle. The other brides, no matter what episode, tend to go for stuff like that. I couldn't stand Harvard bride. Someone upthread called her a snoot, and that word is perfect for her.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

My theory is Harvard bride ONLY won because she had a sob story moment with her dad down the aisle. The other brides, no matter what episode, tend to go for stuff like that. I couldn't stand Harvard bride. Someone upthread called her a snoot, and that word is perfect for her.

Yep she was a snoot!!

2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Thank you for being sweet about it LOL

You are welcome!  All I really meant was so many brides are waaaaay too uptight on this show!

General show comment:  You know, one of the reasons why Roger Ebert was my favorite film critic is that he always approached movies with the perspective of "How well does it succeed in what it's trying to do?"  He was never asking "The Fast and the Furious" to be "Schindler's List."   I wish these brides could approach these weddings with a similar approach.  Over and over again, we see "I gave [name]'s wedding a 4.  I didn't like her dress and I would have had more elaborate centerpieces and I think a wedding should be a sit-down dinner."  By me this is a bogus reason to downgrade the experience.  If the eggs and sausage are really beautifully done and tasty, if the centerpieces are attractive, and if the dress works for the bride, who cares if it's what YOU would do?  I realize that these girls are trying to win, so they all want to downgrade the others, but the reasons they give are ridiculous.  

One thing I've noticed after watching a lot of these is that these catering hall weddings are all numbingly the same.  They all have the same steak and chicken dishes, always served tepid or cold, the same DJ playing the same thump thump thump music, and so on.  You watch enough of these and you get to the point that a hand-made table place card seems awesome just because it's different.  But if you have a buffet and the food is hot, then you get downgraded for not having a "served" dinner.

• Love 6

The reason all the music is the same is because it is dubbed by production. They can't broadcast the real music, so we never hear the actual first dance song for example. 

On 10/19/2017 at 11:21 AM, brilliantbreakfast said:

I wish these brides could approach these weddings with a similar approach.  Over and over again, we see "I gave [name]'s wedding a 4.  I didn't like her dress and I would have had more elaborate centerpieces and I think a wedding should be a sit-down dinner."  By me this is a bogus reason to downgrade the experience. 

Exactly!  If a bride sets out to have a 4pm ceremony with a red rose theme, a two meat buffet and an open bar, and she does have red roses everywhere, a yummy two meat buffet and and open bar, then judge her with an 8 or 9, NOT a 5 because "I don't like red roses....they are so traditional.  I don't like buffets, I like plated dinners.  And open bars invite drunkeness, so I give her a 5."  No, you are mean as she set out to do something and did it.  Now if that Red Rose Bride showed up with yellow tulips, pizza and soda well then.....give her a low score.

And holy moly if you don't stick to your theme.  "My theme is FAIRIES!"  So listen up Fairy Lady - you better have fairies vomiting up everywhere or you will get a 6 for not sticking to your theme.  A few fairies here and there will suffice, thanks.  I am not nine years old anymore.

• Love 3

Funny there actually was a fairy theme with Arizona brides. The brides actually thought it was well done- not too much or too little with the fairies. I'm sure they had other complaints I can't recall though. IIRC fairy bride won.

Mentioning themes, there was a Canadian episode with a princess fairy tale bride (there's always one in the bunch), & they raved about her food, decor, & the party was good. They complained though, that she had butterflies in the decor & no prince & princess on her cake, so it wasn't keeping with her 'theme'. So of course the docked her down & she didn't win. I thought that was a very good example of how petty they can get just to win.

I think sometimes the brides can screw themselves with how the present their weddings to the other brides at their initial meeting. They can latch onto something in particular & be quick to judge harshly if it doesn't turn out according to their expectations of how it was described.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, gonecrackers said:

I think sometimes the brides can screw themselves with how the present their weddings to the other brides at their initial meeting. They can latch onto something in particular & be quick to judge harshly if it doesn't turn out according to their expectations of how it was described.

I think you are right.  If a bride starts talking about, say "Salty and Sweet" is my theme - gosh darn it it better be VERY salty and chock full of SWEETS!  Plus brides are very chatty and excited about their wedding and their theme so it sets up a high standard.  "Black and White"is your theme?  Better not have a pop of color anywhere....you will get a five.

Yes the fairy bride in AZ with the long blonde hair did win.  

I want a bride to have a Disney Theme - transport all your guests to Disney World, have Mickey Mouse marry you in front of the Magic Kingdom and they will find something to knock down points.....probably the Florida heat!!!

• Love 1

Just saw the rerun with Carolyn, the "Broadway Baby" theme.  43 points total - dry wedding with warm sodas on the table with cold pizza.  Her dress was homemade - wonderful idea but it fit horribly and was, frankly, unattractive both in style and on her.  She did spring for a photo booth.  How about taking the money for the photo booth and buying, oh I don't know....ice?  I am not a drinker so soda is more than fine with me, but I do like it cold.

43 points........yikes.

• Love 3

Actually, on this one I feel 43 points was deserved because from what they said her guests didn't even have water as an option, just crappy warm soda & that cold, disgusting looking pizza... that's inexcusable, to me anyway.

She was one of those brides I always wonder about how they felt they ever had a chance & would even enter such a contest.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Actually, on this one I feel 43 points was deserved because from what they said her guests didn't even have water as an option, just crappy warm soda & that cold, disgusting looking pizza... that's inexcusable, to me anyway.

She was one of those brides I always wonder about how they felt they ever had a chance & would even enter such a contest.

@gonecracakers:  I am shocked she scored that high.  Her dress was sloppy, the overall experience could not been high due to crying toddlers, warm soda, cold pizza and....ugh.  I did think her wife's dress looked pretty - why cover it up with a blazer?  Her venue was okay but compared to the others, no.  She had to place last for dress, food and venue, not sure what the others gave her for overall experience.  I think it was two 4's and a 5.  Does that add up?  Why do I care?  LOLOL!

On a happier note:  "And a Giraffe"is on Tuesday!!!  Damn employment.......(we don't have a DVR or anything. I like to kick it 70's style in my home)

Per her thinking she could win:  Hey it was 1/4 chance - better than nothing.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I think it was two 4's and a 5. 

I thought there was one 3, but maybe not. They were quite generous. I probably would've had trouble coughing out a one; maybe I'd soften to a two if I could grab water & a snack on the way to the judging.

A general beef about some of these brides - them ruining things because they can't keep their hands off. One messed up someone's cake, another put her hand all over an ice sculpture, & yet another knocked down a card display because she just had to 'fix' something. Obviously they either never matured past kindergarten &/or didn't learn look but DO NOT touch. Geesh.

9 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I thought there was one 3, but maybe not. They were quite generous. I probably would've had trouble coughing out a one; maybe I'd soften to a two if I could grab water & a snack on the way to the judging.

You very well could be correct - I wish I had written it down.  How does the scoring go for the other categories?  1st = 10. 2nd is ? and 3rd is ? - you would think I would know by now.  

9 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

A general beef about some of these brides - them ruining things because they can't keep their hands off. One messed up someone's cake, another put her hand all over an ice sculpture, & yet another knocked down a card display because she just had to 'fix' something.

Yep - so three strangers show up, ruin something as they were "just trying to help" then show up on a TLC show to bitch and complain that your dress is "Not my style" and I had to wait a whole ten minutes for FREE FOOD and there was that lag before we danced so I am giving her wedding a 6.  Shut. It.

• Love 1