Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Daughter has enough money to take off to Hong Kong on a whim and obviously has enough dough laying around to buy makeup by the semi truck load and have her lips inflated to inner tube proportions.

I was a little behind on my cases. There was something really odd about the Juvey Lipped Daughter. First of all she was BIG. Maybe her mother was small but girlfriend had some buff shoulders and a broad chest. Plus who puts all those cameras in the house? If I had to put all those cameras in my house to try and figure out who Juvey was bringing in, I would just kick her out - she seems to have enough money to fly to Hong Kong on a jaunt, she can rent her own place. 

• Love 2

I was a little behind on my cases. There was something really odd about the Juvey Lipped Daughter. First of all she was BIG. Maybe her mother was small but girlfriend had some buff shoulders and a broad chest. Plus who puts all those cameras in the house? If I had to put all those cameras in my house to try and figure out who Juvey was bringing in, I would just kick her out - she seems to have enough money to fly to Hong Kong on a jaunt, she can rent her own place.

The plaintiff mentioned some paranoia on behalf of the defendant. In the hallterview, the defendant started to say something like "I'm afraid..." Then corrected herself (because she didn't want to seem paranoid) by saying "I like to see what's happening in the apartment when I'm in my room." I think the roomies are mom's way of keeping an eye on her daughter while letting her live "independently."

• Love 5

The plaintiff mentioned some paranoia on behalf of the defendant. In the hallterview, the defendant started to say something like "I'm afraid..." Then corrected herself (because she didn't want to seem paranoid) by saying "I like to see what's happening in the apartment when I'm in my room." I think the roomies are mom's way of keeping an eye on her daughter while letting her live "independently."

This thought makes my skin crawl. :(

• Love 1

Episode 1, Case 1

Yesss! A child on the witness stand. 

JJ: What's your name?

Little boy: C'Andre

JJ: Spell it.

C: C- apostrophe-A-N-D-R-E

JJ: Where does that name come from?

C: I do not know.

JJ: Is it French?

C: No.

JJ: It's an interesting name.

C's Mother: I just wanted a C name because his Daddy be C.

JJ: Charles wouldn't work??

In this case, the plaintiff, Linda Blansit, seemed like a really decent person. The defendant's bitchy glare at Ms. Blansit was ice cold. The defendant's son ran his scooter into Ms. Blansit's garage and dented it. She was on top of her paperwork, but JJ really wanted a photo of the dented door. But Ms. Blansit didn't take a photo of it. Her other paperwork was good enough, so she got her money.

Episode 1, Case 2

Get ready for this one -- JJ gets excited over Pez dispensers and even delivers some of her commentary while using a Kermit the Frog Pez and a Fozzie Bear Pez  for emphatic effect. Seriously, you can tell that Judge Judy thoroughly enjoyed this case. JJ loves the Pez dispensers so much, she doesn't see how anyone could be turned off by some imperfections! She likes them, she likes holding them, she likes flicking open their heads -- she even gives Byrd a heart Pez dispenser to keep {hard swallow from the plaintiff}!

Second episode was a rerun -- the case of the guys who ditched the Sizzurp-lovin Facebook chick at the gas station mart.

• Love 9

Pissed off Bun Girl alert!  She's on today's facebook/gas station repeat, but in disguise!  High ponytail and a sweater.  Same polka dot dress. Noticed her during the entire "stopped to get a juice with my dollar coin" monologue. On the def's side.  Eagle eyes on duty!

• Love 5

Little C'Andre lied to JJ -- playing with friends? -- but JJ chose not to pursue it.  I hope the kid's mom didn't coach him.

The Pez case -- I think JJ screwed the pooch.  There's something called an "implied warranty of merchantability" -- you pay for something, it's supposed to be as advertised.  That's why stores have return policies and consumers can get their money back.  JJ seemed to be saying there's nothing a consumer can do about shoddy workmanship.  Some of those dispensers looked like crap.  Which they should, at $5 a pop.  If she paid him $3500 and got crap, she should have been reimbursed for more than the broken ones.  But it's not clear that she paid the whole $3500.  Did she? 

I didn't care for her either.  I'm sure when JJ started in on that vacation/eBay story, she thought the case was going her way.

• Love 5

Pez lady needed a bra in the worst way--swinging big and way lowwwww.   I figured she might be a former hippie chick, but she had modern glasses, so IDK. Seriously, you go out, put on a bra; then come home and take it off. Spare us.

• Love 3

Pez lady needed a bra in the worst way--swinging big and way lowwwww.

That was nasty. Seriously, put aside the Pez Passion for a minute and get those things rounded up and packed away. Other than that (and yeah, her voice) I enjoyed this case if only because it was a refreshing break from sordid tales of bitches beating and biting each other over 20 year old POS "TownScars",  lying brats, mangled English, bail money, restraining orders or back child support.

"You can't give them away? Byrd wants one. Here, Byrd!" And indeed, he looked quite happy about it. Loved that part.

There's something called an "implied warranty of merchantability" -- you pay for something, it's supposed to be as advertised.

Yes, and JJ took her on her word that 40 were broken. But there's no court anywhere in the world that will examine 600 more, to see if they're perfect or not. Who says that 70 - 80% are unusable? And by whose standards?  There's no way of knowing - I might find something perfectly acceptable that someone else would reject. She got 200$ back which, by the way, she never bothered to mention until the defendant brought it up.  

Garage Door lady said she went after the kids as fast as she could. She must have been having a really good day because she got so out of breath just walking two feet to the diagram I was really afraid she might keel over right in front of us.

• Love 9

Yes, and JJ took her on her word that 40 were broken. But there's no court anywhere in the world that will examine 600 more, to see if they're perfect or not. Who says that 70 - 80% are unusable? And by whose standards? 

No kidding! Here I thought the only criteria for a usable Pez dispenser was, "does it function as a dispenser of Pez candy?"

• Love 3

I loved JJ's story about the origins of Ebay. What a nice break from dog bite and loan/gift cases that was.

I loved the plaintiff's horror at JJ gifting one of her Pez dispensers to Byrd. Since she swore she couldn't give them away, she really couldn't complain. I just loved the case. I did not love the plaintiff, though. During my early days in the newspaper business, I had a job taking classified ads by telephone. The ones calling in to advertise Beanie Babies (this was a really long time ago) were usually insane. I hated taking those calls. Anyway, the plaintiff reminded me of those collectors.

• Love 9

Another mother that doesn't want to take responsibility for her kids behavior. I don't get it. All that thinking to come up with a cutesy name and she can't be bothered to instill a sense of responsibility and honesty in him.

• Love 11

I loved the plaintiff's horror at JJ gifting one of her Pez dispensers to Byrd.

Yes, and why? According to her they were just trash. Of course she could have been totally full of shit about them being worthless.

The ones calling in to advertise Beanie Babies (this was a really long time ago) were usually insane.

Ah, yes. People expecting to retire on the enormous sums they would get for their vast Beanie collections. The only ones who got rich were the manufacturers/inventors of these things and they must have been convulsed with joyous laughter all the way to the bank.

Another mother that doesn't want to take responsibility for her kids behavior.

I bet she told him, "Say it was some kids you never met before, whose names you don't know and who you never saw again. That'll work." All that for $250 and I bet the plaintiff would have been willing to take any small amount monthly.

From now on, I'm calling myself A'ngelaH'unter. Everyone else on the planet seems to be into apostrophe abuse, and if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

• Love 13

From now on, I'm calling myself A'ngelaH'unter. Everyone else on the planet seems to be into apostrophe abuse, and if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

This one was in the local paper a couple weeks ago -- A'Tayaa Angel Ala'Ja Aa'Mya.  I kid you not.  She'll probably go by Angel, but still . . .

• Love 3

Yes, and why? According to her they were just trash. Of course she could have been totally full of shit about them being worthless.

Ah, yes. People expecting to retire on the enormous sums they would get for their vast Beanie collections. The only ones who got rich were the manufacturers/inventors of these things and they must have been convulsed with joyous laughter all the way to the bank.

I bet she told him, "Say it was some kids you never met before, whose names you don't know and who you never saw again. That'll work." All that for $250 and I bet the plaintiff would have been willing to take any small amount monthly.

I'll go with T'Bax.

• Love 9
QuoteA'Tayaa Angel Ala'Ja Aa'Mya.  I kid you not.

Not that I don't believe you, but that so boggle my mind I just had to look it up.

Marquis Gentry and Chyla

Shivers from Charles City, IA would

like to announce the bith of their

daughter, A`Tayaa Angel Ala`Ja

Aa`mya Gentry. A`tayaa was born

on Friday, October 9, 2015 at the

Iowa Specialty Hospital Clarion.

She weight 7 pounds, 6 ounces. Her

siblings are Romelle Gentry (15),

Ashton Giddings (13), Marquis

Gentry (12), Aidan Sivers (9),

Angel Gentry (5), Ala`je Gentry

(3), Trey Gentry (3), Malik Gentry

(2), Aa`mya Gentry (1). Proud

grandparents: Melanie Seward of

Fort Dodge, IA., Rochelle Englism

I'll go with T'Bax.

No, that won't do because the apostrophe is actually taking the place of letters, as it's intended to. You must use it when it's not doing that. I think you'll have to go with TeeB'ax or T'eeBax. There. That's better.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 5

Yes, and JJ took her on her word that 40 were broken. But there's no court anywhere in the world that will examine 600 more, to see if they're perfect or not. Who says that 70 - 80% are unusable? And by whose standards?  There's no way of knowing - I might find something perfectly acceptable that someone else would reject. She got 200$ back which, by the way, she never bothered to mention until the defendant brought it up. 

That's true -- a judge wouldn't do that and shouldn't have to.  I couldn't figure out why JJ didn't tell her that her recourse was to return the bad dispensers and tell the guy to refund her money.  He did a crap job and shouldn't have been paid for it. 

• Love 2

I knew people collected PEZ containers. But I had n.o. idea that they had them silver platedMakes me wonder if people silver plate Hershey's Kisses too.

Second episode was a rerun -- the case of the guys who ditched the Sizzurp-lovin Facebook chick at the gas station mart.

I like to call that case Amityville Horrible because she was from Amityville, Longgh Island. I wonder when the two guys ditched her at the gas-n-go mart, they told her to "GET......OUT!!!!" of the car.

• Love 6

I saw the repeat with Officer Kang, who was wrongly and stupidly accused of calling a stupid motorist stupid. I'm glad he was vindicated, although the stupid defendant still stupidly showed no remorse, and was still blathering stupidly in the hallterview.  Even Judge Judy called him stupid. Yea for Officer Kang!

Cracking up at the newly punctuationalized A'ngela and Teeb'ax. Congratulations!  Teeb'ax, I hope the wedding announcements haven't been printed yet!  C'Andre was a cutie, just a little boy who did what lots of other little boys and girls do. Loved JJ's being patient with him and smiling (I didn't think she was laughing AT him) when she quizzed him about the name. "You couldn't go with Charles?" Mom looked pleasant enough, but I agree, it's horrible to put a young child in a position to lie.

• Love 3

I saw the repeat with Officer Kang, who was wrongly and stupidly accused of calling a stupid motorist stupid. I'm glad he was vindicated, although the stupid defendant still stupidly showed no remorse, and was still blathering stupidly in the hallterview.  Even Judge Judy called him stupid. Yea for Officer Kang!

I saw that repeat too. Sociopathic psychologist wannabe lied that Officer Kang called him stupid and filed a false report against Officer Kang.

I loved the shades of red he turned when the voice recording was played back and when JJ asked him where in the conversation did Officer Kang call him stupid. He showed his special snowflakyness during the halterview when he wimpered Officer Kang made him feel stupid. Awwwww.....poor baby. I wonder if he filed a complaint against JJ for making him feel stupid too.

• Love 5

I wonder if he filed a complaint against JJ for making him feel stupid too.

If that little slug files complaints against everyone who makes him feel stupid, he better set up housekeeping at the courthouse.

To the Little Slug: I thought the officer showed remarkable restraint by not actually calling you "Stupid," stupid.  

• Love 5

OK....old hippie here.   Know kids named Sunshine, Freedom...hey it was the 60's.  But...I can't get the naming of children something they have to spell everytime they apply for anything.  Keye and Peele (hope I spelled that right 'cause I love those guys) did a brilliant take on this.  Teacher to Jaqueline...J'Qua-lene?....uh, no...A'aron....no Aaron.  Very funny.

I'm in the collectibles business for years and I saw the Beanie Babies and Pez craze.  My SIL still has hundreds of BB's.  I do antiques and vintage clothes, etc but was smart enough to not go there.  Trends come and go.  But never heard of silver plating Pez.  That's a new one on me....and I thought I'd heard 'em all.

• Love 6

I saw that repeat too. Sociopathic psychologist wannabe lied that Officer Kang called him stupid and filed a false report against Officer Kang.

I loved the shades of red he turned when the voice recording was played back and when JJ asked him where in the conversation did Officer Kang call him stupid. He showed his special snowflakyness during the halterview when he wimpered Officer Kang made him feel stupid. Awwwww.....poor baby. I wonder if he filed a complaint against JJ for making him feel stupid too.

If that little slug files complaints against everyone who makes him feel stupid, he better set up housekeeping at the courthouse.

To the Little Slug: I thought the officer showed remarkable restraint by not actually calling you "Stupid," stupid.  

The defendant had no clue about how damaging something like that complaint could be, even if unfounded. It's no different from the litigants who maliciously call CPS on one another just to be nasty. They should all be thrown in jail for filing false reports.

• Love 5

The defendant had no clue about how damaging something like that complaint could be, even if unfounded. It's no different from the litigants who maliciously call CPS on one another just to be nasty. They should all be thrown in jail for filing false reports.

He lacks insight and empathy (and intelligence) and wants to be a psychologist. Arrgh!

• Love 5

That Pez case is still bugging me.  As if there weren't enough real things to worry about in today's world.

What if the plaintiff and defendant were reversed -- if the Pez guy had sued the customer for non-payment? Would JJ have said "You did a poor job  -- why should she have to pay for crap?" 

Maybe I'm just missing the point.  It wouldn't be the first time.

• Love 3

Ah Steven Weiler wannabe psychologist. He mentioned that he lived with his mom until he was 16. Not very interesting until I found him working at SOBA Malibu. Here's his blurb on his experience. No mention of JJ but does have his moon face pic so I'm sure it's him.

Steven Weiler, Lead Tech

Steven Weiler holds a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and has worked in treatment since May of 2013. On February 28, 2005, at only 16 years old, he started his journey of recovery by getting sober and staying sober. The work he does with clients at Soba is very important to Steven and he does all that he can to contribute to their success. Steven thoroughly enjoys being a part of the Soba family. His personal quote is, “If you stay clean, you don’t have to get clean!”

That was posted Dec 1, 2015. I wonder if any of his coworkers caught the recent rerun.

Edit because if is not of.

Edited by Taffy

Tenant in the bed bug/plumbing/ don't want to pay rent case had a major attitude and made some great faces. I wonder if they just move around not paying rent.

The plane ticket case wasn't too exciting.

My rerun was the black eye squabble in or out of the garage.

In the plane ticket case, did the defendant really say he was only 66 years old? Good lord, I am only a year or so under that but I was ready to swear that he was on the wrong side of 80. Other than that, I agree the case was boring, but I would like to have heard more about the son's illness, the miraculous recovery struck me as odd.

• Love 4

In the plane ticket case, did the defendant really say he was only 66 years old? Good lord, I am only a year or so under that but I was ready to swear that he was on the wrong side of 80. Other than that, I agree the case was boring, but I would like to have heard more about the son's illness, the miraculous recovery struck me as odd.

And his name is Frank Anella.  Frankanella.  Franken-something -- he did look a bit spooky, especially the eyes, and those cadaverous cheekbones.  I didn't finish watching -- when he admitted he told his ex that he'd pay her back when he could, I figured JJ would give her the money.  Does the show pay for air fare for everyone who appears?  There was no reason for the son to be there.

The bedbug tenants -- parts of that were confusing, two leases/rental agreements, two exterminators, etc.  JJ surprised me by letting the defendant interrupt so often.  At least the plaintiff had good records, and before and after photos.  Must be a JJ fan.

• Love 4

I damn near fell off my walker and spit my teeth out when he said that!

Edited by Seestra1
  • Love 5

I felt badly for the son in the plane ticket case...he looked like he was on the verge of tears. The father was quite creepy looking. Maybe the son had a heart condition or cancer or something. I couldn't help but wonder if he wished that his father had stayed away and not visited. (I had that same situation a few years ago.) 

I can't believe the timing of this one.....this morning's episode of Let's Make a Deal had an apostrophe situation!  Please pardon the imperfect video quality -- I couldn't find a clip on the internet, so I took a video of it playing on cbs.com and posted it myself.  This is a good one, and it may explain the hidden powers of the apostrophe.  (??)    

Edited by CoolWhipLite
  • Love 1

CoolWhipLite, your video is "Private".:(

A'ngela, I love you.

That is all.

Wow, thanks. So nice to know that someone does!

I was ready to swear that he was on the wrong side of 80.

That was shocking. My father-in-law at 86 looked 15 years younger than this man.

In the squatter case: Yeah, if I got money from the Red Cross to pay my security deposit, lived with bedbugs and no hot water I might think twice about getting knocked up. "Rent to Own?" Yeah, sure when between them they couldn't cough up 300$/month. I love how all the squatters and con artists we see are so very mouthy and glib with a zillion excuses that just roll off their tongues. I guess practice makes perfect.

• Love 5

That case was a good example of why I'm taking a break from the Red Cross.  One of my last visits was where a gal's "not my boyfriend" starts a fire, burns up the landlord's house, and she gripes that the Red Cross wouldn't replace her big screen TVs (plural!). Living under numerous government programs, and she gripes that she'll have to buy new TVs. Not worried about the landlord's house, which was mostly toast...  Most clients are wonderful and very appreciative, but I ran into a slew of folks like this couple and just stepped back a while. (end rant)

Bed Bug gal really did have the facial expressions, didn't she?! She also seemed not at all surprised when they lost, so me thinks she's been through this same procedure before. I always love it when a fellow roommate offers testimony for the OTHER side of the aisle. Ha!  Kinda like the eyelash (great one!) repeat case. JJ: "This is your witness?!"

Didn't listen to most of the dying son case. Just can't do family squabbles.

• Love 6

Sorry about that!  I just fixed it.

It's official. Our language is going the way of the Passenger Pigeon.

Just can't do family squabbles.

It wasn't much of a squabble, so I'll fill you in! Plaintiff sued ex for $300 she loaned him for air fare. She won. The end.

• Love 4

I didn't understand any of JJ's rulings today.

The landlord is supposed to pay for pest control (and why would anybody move into any place where pest control is a regular requirement), but somehow JJ doesn't think it covers bedbugs?  Why not? And why was the Red Cross responsible for paying their rent?

The ex wife suing the ex husband, doesn't Jj always say that if there is no agreement, there is no contract?  They guy said he would pay when he could, he couldn't so why should he pay?

In the black eye case, the plaintiff had already been found not guilty, why in the hell would JJ rule that she was responsible for assaulting the defendant, when a prior trial had already said she wasn't?

• Love 1

I didn't understand any of JJ's rulings today.

The landlord is supposed to pay for pest control (and why would anybody move into any place where pest control is a regular requirement), but somehow JJ doesn't think it covers bedbugs?  Why not? And why was the Red Cross responsible for paying their rent?

I think JJ was saying that since the landlord followed the terms of the lease -- which included paying for a pest control service -- that's all she was required to do. 

The Red Cross might have paid the deposit/rent if the family lost their home in a fire or flood.  Or maybe they help homeless people in general.  Looks like SandyToes might have the answer for that. 

• Love 1

In the event of a disaster (fire, flood, etc), the ARC generally provides for immediate needs for a couple of days (food, shelter, clothing, medications) for those without.  Many people have insurance, or family to stay with, or only the bedrooms were damaged, so they don't need food, etc. It's not a lot of money, and each case is different.  Sometimes, they are able to also help with relocation and may provide a little more help, for something like a security deposit.  It's hard to come up with the cash for deposit, rent, and replacing everything you own on a day or two's notice.  I never saw a case where that came into play, though. Most of the cases I worked were for only a few hundred dollars. The goal is to help clients figure out and execute their own plan forward, but give them a day or two's respite to do that. It's not insurance, though several of my clients seemed to think so. Those needing long-term assistance are referred to other agencies (United Way, etc.)  In this case, it could have been the couple lost their home, and needed the cash to get into a new one. I think it looked like the check was for $300, so again, not a lot.  We had a few scammers/cretins, or course, just like in all other aspects of life.  Generally, it was very rewarding, and there were times where I wanted to run back and just stuff money from my purse into the client's hands.

As for the extermination, we do that before tenants move in (or once a year), but anything else is up to the client. In. The. Lease!  And if my house had bed bugs, that is NOT the time I'd pull the "It's not my responsibility!" argument.  And with a baby on the way?? Great big double yick! We may add "Never been on Judge Judy" to our list of qualifications!  I should probably start a list of every tenant on the show. But I don't think I have enough paper for that.

eta: Rick, from what we saw, it's hard to know when the bug issue started.  People who leave food out, trash out, and live like pigs will attract bugs/vermin. And they could have brought the bugs with them.  Not the exterminator's fault, or the landlord's.  There could have been a case there, but the defendant was so mouthy and disagreeable that JJ shut her down and dismissed the counterclaim.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 3

Getting rid of bedbugs is not regular extermination as for cockroaches, e.g. After all the hoopla about bedbugs in recent years I got paranoid and read about it. It seems the only effective treatment is for the residents to leave, the house be sealed up and the intererior temperature raised to 120F so everything that might be damaged by heat must be removed. AFAIK, this is the only thing that works and it's costly.

The defendants may well have brought the bedbugs in.

• Love 5

So even though the landlord was contractually responsible for paying the pest service, she wasn't responsible for guaranteeing that the service was effective?

Nope.  That's out of her control.  She did what she promised to do.

• Love 2

Getting rid of bedbugs is not regular extermination as for cockroaches, e.g. After all the hoopla about bedbugs in recent years I got paranoid and read about it. It seems the only effective treatment is for the residents to leave, the house be sealed up and the intererior temperature raised to 120F so everything that might be damaged by heat must be removed. AFAIK, this is the only thing that works and it's costly.

The defendants may well have brought the bedbugs in.

Wow!  I had no idea that bed bugs were such a resistant species!  And YICK!  I never want to see one up close!

• Love 1