Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

Jane and Maura sharpen focus on two murders, one from the past and one from the present, both of which have a personal impact on Korsak. Meanwhile, an unforeseen visit could lead to romance for Jane, and Maura receives unsettling feedback on her novel.

Should I just be grateful they had Jane decide to take the FBI job before the cute agent showed up again, rather than writing him as one of the reasons behind her inexplicable choice?  Is that what it's come to for me trying to enjoy the final episodes of this show?  Shall I call it a success if the finale does not consist of one big wedding for Jane and FBI guy, Maura and her ex-husband, Angela and Ron, and Nina and Frankie? 

• Love 8

It could be worse.  Honestly, it really could.  It isn't Suits. Suits is in its 6th season and personally, I couldn't believe it was renewed for 7. 

And this is a Korsak-centric episode.  Unless the writers really screw up, I know I'll enjoy it just for more BMcG on my screen. 

• Love 3

forumfish I was just coming to ask the same question. I'll admit I was only half watching but I didn't catch anything about the why or how the locket played into it.

They're so determined to get everyone matched up, it's like they've given up any semblance of interest in writing the mysteries. The last few episodes have been very thin in the resolution of the murders and this was the worst yet. And I actually like the FBI agent guy with Jane, just wish they were still actually thinking about the murder cases.

And though I've always given a side eye to the forensics, I thought the handprints on the dress were especially clunky. Perfect handprints of the killer but no one else's at all.

• Love 4

Minus the continued obsession with making drastic changes in every character's life (and accelerating romantic relationships to warp speed), so that as the show ends no one will still be doing the things that made me interested in watching them all these years, this was a more old-school episode than I've seen in a while.  The case made little sense, but Maura and Jane had more than two scenes together and felt like best friends.  Among this final stretch of episodes, the bar is set so low that's enough to make me breathe a sigh of relief.

• Love 5

I'm pleased that Maura didn't give up on her writing and is going to Paris.  Perhaps she'll meet a French version of Jane and fall in bed, or even in love with her (yes, her). Jane's "relationship" with Agent Ugly Blue Suit violates all sorts of rules, but this is TV so who cares.  Fortunately her house-sit lacks a usable upstairs, so we were spared the sight of them in bed.

I never expected Rizzles, but I wanted Jane and Maura to remain in Boston, doing their jobs, being best friends.  I don't know why Jan Nash/TNT/WB destroyed that show.  Fortunately, I have DVDs, fic, gifs, fan boards, etc.

Edited by Scamp
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Scamp said:

I'm pleased that Maura didn't give up on her writing and is going to Paris.  Perhaps she'll meet a French version of Jane and fall in bed, or even in love with her (yes, her). Jane's "relationship" with Agent Ugly Blue Suit violates all sorts of rules, but this is TV so who cares.  Fortunately her house-sit lacks a usable upstairs, so we were spared the sight of them in bed.

I never expected Rizzles, but I wanted Jane and Maura to remain in Boston, doing their jobs, being best friends.  I don't know why Jan Nash/TNT/WB destroyed that show.  Fortunately, I have DVDs, fic, gifs, fan boards, etc.

I really don't either. And I know I'm repeating myself but Maura's changes make sense. Writing, going to Paris for a month that makes sense for Maura. Jane quitting the force to and moving to DC to be an FBI instructor? Makes zero sense. Again Jan Nash, why would Jane want to do that? All she wants to do is be a cop in Boston. Realizing that's all she wants to do and is happy with would make sense. Jane and Maura remaining in Boston doing their jobs as best friends make sense. Realizing their in love with each other makes sense. FBI instructor in DC doesn't. Also, I never really got the idea Korsk wanted to retire too. He always seemed ike he wanted to be cop out doing his job as long as he could too.

I do have to commend Frankie for not laughing after Angela said she didn't like to pry. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, forumfish said:

I know some of y'all watch the late airing, so I'll spoiler tag my question.

Hide contents

Did they give a reason for why the guy had killed the girl 40 years ago? Or where her locket came from? I figured the rich boy found out that the girl was his half sister and that his dad gave her the locket, so he killed her out of jealousy. The old man said the name "Carol," right? Was that the girl's mother's name? Oh, and very disappointed that Jane and FBI guy got so cozy before she starts working there. Not professional at all.)

The details on the case were as thin as Jane, but here's my take: 
I'm guessing (almost fan-fic) that one of the brothers gave the girl a locket from his mom or grandma, and the killer brother was jealous and psycho so, "If I can't have her nobody can," or maybe he just thought she wasn't good enough for his family (more likely). And somehow the locket the dead dad found on ebay lead him to the brother, but I'm not sure how that lead to his being killed too. 

• Love 1

For what was supposed to be a Korsak-centric episode, there sure was an awful lot of Jane and not much Korsak in this one… And I didn't even realize the case ultimately made no sense and had no resolution until I came here, so I guess we know how much attention I paid it.

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maura and Jane had more than two scenes together and felt like best friends. 

This. The two of them were actually believable as friends again in their interactions, and Jane and Frankie's conversation in front of the mansion was nice as well.

If they actually let Korsak retire peacefully instead of killing him off two days away from retirement like every other cop show in the universe, I will be thrilled. My spidey sense doesn't think they're going to go down that road, but… fingers crossed, just in case. And is it silly of me to hold out hope that, at the last minute, Jane will realize joining the FBI makes no sense and decide to stay at the BPD?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

For what was supposed to be a Korsak-centric episode, there sure was an awful lot of Jane and not much Korsak in this one… And I didn't even realize the case ultimately made no sense and had no resolution until I came here, so I guess we know how much attention I paid it.

The series is going out as it started- all about Jane. This ep, Korsak's decision to retire, Nina and Frankie's engagement, and Maura's big decision about her book were all given minimal screen time in favor of Jane, Jane, Jane. And ITA, the case was ridiculous which is unfortunate since this was the most enjoyable ep they've had in awhile.

I'm okay with Korsak retiring. I agree with Kiki- he's been hedging for awhile, just waiting for someone to tell him it's okay. My dad was like that about retirement. Now that he has Kiki and the bar to focus on, plus Jane is leaving, retirement makes a lot of sense. Why are Frankie and Nina getting married? Because they are super cute. I loved them this ep, and everything with Nina. I wanted them to have their moment at the end. What kind of stones were supposed to be in those earrings? Certainly nothing that looked to me like the ring.

I think my joy at Maura's trip was heavily biased by my overwhelming relief that she was not leaving the lab. Thank god. Her big ending is certainly not on the same scale as the other characters' though. Hers is more in line with Angela's. I'm saying thank you, even if I am pouting a bit around it. Her parents are probably happy at least. Aren't they based in Europe? I was thinking Maura lived in France for quite awhile as a kid. Making that sudden jump from write in the library to write in Paris for a month felt very in character. I loved it, almost as much as I loved the crap she was giving Jane over Davies. I'm sad I won't get to see Maura in Paris!

Hot FBI guy is hot. I don't blame Jane at all. The fact that she thought he was there about the job should have been a huge red light, but Jane is obviously stressed. And since I'm not going to be watching them work together at Quantico, hot FBI guy is hot shirtless and thank you show. The one thing I didn't like at all was the show's insistence on telling us over and over that he was husband material. If marriage is on Jane's mind, fine. Wanting out of the field so that she can look towards having a family makes sense to me for her. That does not mean that one night has to put her on the marriage track, show. That just reeked of them overcompensating.

So basically Jane is leaving BPD because some inexplicable instinct in her told her to take the leap. For an independent woman looking for the next step in her life, I can actually support that. Unfortunately this is the series finale and I don't want to watch that. If she was excited at all it would help, but right now all I'm watching is everyone cry over Jane making a move that she doesn't even seem to want. But this is the Jane show- she has to have the biggest story of them all. Everyone wouldn't be crying over Jane if she was staying put.

• Love 1

The "Jane got laid" banter between her and Maura was distasteful to me.  ("Two desserts.  And breakfast."  Chuckles)  Who needs to know orgasm counts?  Just those who are still troubled by Rizzles shippers wanting Jane and Maura together as lovers, I assume.  Gay showrunner is determined to het up all her characters.  What about Kent?  Will the duck return?  What about Maura?  Maybe Jack will move back to Boston.  Is that everybody?  

Edited by Scamp
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Um, no, the non-gay characters predate the gay showrunner. Have you not been watching the show from the beginning? Every show doesn't have to pair up the leads, and everyone doesn't want to see R&I as a couple.

I watched from the beginning and became a Rizzles shipper before the pilot ended.  We don't have to agree.

23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The details on the case were as thin as Jane, but here's my take: 
I'm guessing (almost fan-fic) that one of the brothers gave the girl a locket from his mom or grandma, and the killer brother was jealous and psycho so, "If I can't have her nobody can," or maybe he just thought she wasn't good enough for his family (more likely). And somehow the locket the dead dad found on ebay lead him to the brother, but I'm not sure how that lead to his being killed too. 

Whatever the boy's motive (maybe they could have written a sentence explaining it?) - now that he was a grown up fancy pants lawyer, why on earth did he sell it on ebay? If it was valuable, there are other, more discreet ways. If it wasn't, the garbage works.

My take on Korsak was that he solved the personal murder case that led him to his career, and continued to drive him, so now he felt he could retire. I don't think it had anything to do with anyone telling him it was okay, despite what Kiki said.

Tastes vary, to me FBI guy looks too much like a Ken doll for me to get hot and bothered. I too found the post-coital banter a little distasteful, and a bit crude for Maura (at least in front of the guy). I'm not a shipper in general when it comes to tv shows (het or not), so I don't care how it shakes out in the end.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My take on Korsak was that he solved the personal murder case that led him to his career, and continued to drive him, so now he felt he could retire. I don't think it had anything to do with anyone telling him it was okay, despite what Kiki said.

This is what I got from the episode, too.  It sounds good in print but it should have worked better than it did, IMO. I like blunt/droll/snarky Korsak but the comments about being from the wrong side of the tracks fell flat for me. 

• Love 1

My love for Korsack knows no bounds. That isn't specific to this episode, but I just wanted to say it while I still have the chance.

A colleague of mine noted on Tuesday that she thought the case didn't fall together (she'd watched live on Monday, I hadn't watched my DVR yet), and told me to text her once I saw the ep to see if I could make it understandable. Nope. My text was "Wait, what? What's Robby's motive? Did he give her the locket or did he just know who did? Why did he sell it? OMG this makes no sense." I'm so relieved to know that I'm not alone in my questions.

• Love 9

Frankie and Nina are adorable.  But there was no indication of a crush or anything.  The last episodes seem so thrown together.  I didn't follow the case this week the way I usually do.  I'll have to watch it again. 

Does anyone know why Nina's always wearing those vest-type outfits? She wears a lot of them and they aren't flattering on anyone.  Plus she's top heavy and the outfits make her look frumpy. She's too cute for that.

• Love 1
On 8/31/2016 at 1:07 PM, forumfish said:

Um, no, the non-gay characters predate the gay showrunner. Have you not been watching the show from the beginning? Every show doesn't have to pair up the leads, and everyone doesn't want to see R&I as a couple.

Thanks so much for posting that much needed dose of common sense about the R&I series. Regards.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Does anyone know why Nina's always wearing those vest-type outfits? She wears a lot of them and they aren't flattering on anyone.  Plus she's top heavy and the outfits make her look frumpy. She's too cute for that.

My guess (completely unsubstantiated - I haven't googled to see) is that the actress is pregnant.

I was struck in this episode by how similar the actors who play Kent and the FBI guy are. They do the same thing with their mouths (the sort of open mouth with teeth showing), deliver lines much the same way, even the hair's sorta the same...someone in casting has a type, I guess.

I do feel like the cases are old-school lately, in that it's once again immediately possible to finger the murderer within seconds of his/her first appearance. But not bothering to give a motive was remarkably sloppy even for these writers. And the thing with the necklace was just silly. It was a rich family, right? The guy would've just tossed the locket long ago, not hocked it.

• Love 3
On September 2, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Black Knight said:

I was struck in this episode by how similar the actors who play Kent and the FBI guy are. They do the same thing with their mouths (the sort of open mouth with teeth showing), deliver lines much the same way, even the hair's sorta the same...someone in casting has a type, I guess.

I've been saying this since the first episode that Davies appeared.  I had speculated in another thread that given the significant similarities, there had to be a reason.  But none of the other characters have mentioned a thing about the similarities so they're acting as if they don't exist.  So weird.  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 2
On 8/30/2016 at 7:30 PM, Maelstrom said:

This. The two of them were actually believable as friends again in their interactions, and Jane and Frankie's conversation in front of the mansion was nice as well.

If they actually let Korsak retire peacefully instead of killing him off two days away from retirement like every other cop show in the universe, I will be thrilled. My spidey sense doesn't think they're going to go down that road, but… fingers crossed, just in case. And is it silly of me to hold out hope that, at the last minute, Jane will realize joining the FBI makes no sense and decide to stay at the BPD?

I think (hope) this show wouldn't kill off Korsak. Besides the fact that I like the guy, this show has seen too much death for a show that's supposed to be somewhat light. I would like to see everyone ride off into the sunset with a new venture. Korsak's already got the business and the new wife. Would rather see him focus on the next chapter than have the show go off the air with a grieving widow and distraught team. 

• Love 1