Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Mari Takahashi

Michel
  • Start Topic

Hi.  I'm a gamer who wants to play like Yul and Kelley.

She sounds like a true fan of the show, since she remembers how in control of Cook Islands Yul was, and how he never had to play his idol.  This could help her a lot.  Though if she shows her fandom too much, it could also hurt her.

She strikes me as someone that's going to play too hard, too fast, and get booted, or she'll go deep.  I think she's trying too hard, but maybe she'll reserve that solely for the TH.  Since she's the only 30-something on the millenials tribe, perhaps she'll be too old for them and they'll get rid of her for that.

Also this from her bio:

A background in ballet will shatter everyone else's chance of dominating in any balance challenge.

She's my pick to be the first to fall off the balance beam.  I'll go further and say she'll use this quote in the lead up to the challenge before falling off.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

I really don't think knowing trivia about a season from years ago says much about her chances. I actually think being a "super fan" is a waste of time for contestants. They won't be dealing with the same people or situations that other seasons had. Being adaptable and quick witted is more important than knowing what someone who played years ago did when they played. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

I really don't think knowing trivia about a season from years ago says much about her chances. I actually think being a "super fan" is a waste of time for contestants. They won't be dealing with the same people or situations that other seasons had. Being adaptable and quick witted is more important than knowing what someone who played years ago did when they played. 

That's why I'm leaning towards the former in my post in regards to her playing too hard, too fast (or just being outright annoying).  I'll be rooting for an early boot if she actually starts spouting off former Survivor's names in comparison to her own game play.  Who knows, maybe she's doing it all for camera time and attention.

Honestly, this is why I never had problems with recruits.  Of course, I've never actually applied to Survivor, so I get the frustration for those that have and are passed over by random people scouted out by TPTB.  But recruits I've found less annoying than the so-called "super fans".  Super fans in the past few seasons try way too damn hard to be somebody.  We saw how well that worked out for Max Dawson.

• Love 1

Mari is not a superfan.  Josh Wigler was on RHAP a couple weeks ago and said that she was someone who did not watch a lot of Survivor prior to being cast but then binge watched a bunch of seasons prior to the game.  The one person on this season I can see being an annoying superfan is Hannah.

I liked her interview. She seemed fun and to have a dark sense of humor. I liked when she talked about her 27 years of ballet as training her for food deprivation.

I also think I know people who know her, but I definitely knew people who were close to Shirin and never got any interesting dirt from it. So I doubt I'll get anything interesting about Mari either. :( 

• Love 2

I ended up liking her more than I expected.  I'm happy she's in the millennial misfit alliance, as I believe her chances are much better.  I also think, should numbers not be in their favor, she still won't be a target unless she makes herself one.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2016 at 9:16 AM, LanceM said:

Mari is not a superfan.  Josh Wigler was on RHAP a couple weeks ago and said that she was someone who did not watch a lot of Survivor prior to being cast but then binge watched a bunch of seasons prior to the game.  

I like that she did that.  I never understood the recruits who watch one season and feel they're prepared to play.  

On 9/21/2016 at 11:28 PM, Silver Raven said:

Mari works for the YouTube channel SmoshGames.

I would not have known this but Mr Rat is a gamer and did know, in fact he has gamer friends who were tuning in to see her.  We are olds BTW and I'm surprised that so far none of the younger Survivors have recognized her.

Maybe they did and we just weren't shown it.  She didn't hide her identity so someone recognizing her wouldn't really have any game impact.  

5 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Not being a millennial, I don't understand how this playing video games for a living works.  Can anyone enlighten me please?

She makes videos for YouTube. In general youtubers get paid an amount per 1000 views, plus some part of ad revenue, plus shes part of a group of channels at Smosh that is also part of another group of YouTube channels. The Smosh Games channel is about 50,000 subscribers short of 7 million- around 6,950,000 subscribers. That's a lot.

but basically you get paid by YouTube for views, get paid by advertisers and have whatever profit sharing arrangement. She can also get paid to promote a game by the game developers.

Here's an example. She has a series on mine craft which is called maricraft. She just released a parody of survivor on her channel. 

Right now, an ad plays before it starts - so she is getting some ad revenue. She has more than 330,000 views, so if she was making $10 per thousand view, she has made $3300 so far for that one video. However, I think she has a more complicated fee arrangement, this is just an example.

Mari makes money as a youtuber playing video games to entertain people.

Other people make money playing video games competitively as an e-sport. Ken Huong from Gabon earned money playing in Smash Brother tournaments. He was number 1 in the world, quit playing but returned. He makes money from being in a team and from sponsors and from prizes in competitions.

The prizes can be a lot of money depending on the tournament. In a recent Dota 2 tournament, first prize was over $9 million dollars. Kens team, Liquid won over a half a million dollars, but he doesn't play Dota 2.

The prize money varies greatly. Smash brothers isn't nearly as well paid. The first place player won about $15,000 for that tournament. (Note: that tournament has the highest prizes for most games.)

Edited by rose711
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Thanks!

I guess the millenials don't need to get "real" jobs if they can do stuff like this!

Not many people are as successful as Mari. The main Smosh channel has over 20 million subscribers. It's the sixth most subscribed user channel on YouTube according to Wikipedia. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_subscribed_users_on_YouTube

just checked her Instagram and she has over 700,000 followers

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

Based strictly on the first episode (and not having read her bio yet), she may be the most interesting person out there for me. And her alliance mate Hannah. I'll see how it goes but I find them interesting and likable. And also Ken (?) the model/living off the grid guy, but of course that discussion doesn't belong here. Always interesting how your first impressions change completely as the season goes by. Just super happy that we don't have any veterans here this season (after the debacle that was Big Brother 18).

• Love 1

Mari's day after.  So bummed she got voted out :(  My #1 favorite this season, but my faves are often jinxed, so maybe I need to learn to root against the people I like.  I know it's extremely unlikely a 2nd boot would ever get invited back, but I can dream she'll get another shot.  

• Love 2