Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Full Metal Monk

• Start Topic

Dutch: "You're my Thing, Johnny."  & the soulful looks going on the same time?  Oof.   Be still my shipping heart.

So, The Wall is basically a sedating mechanism to make 'happy people'.  Kinda anticlimactic.  But at least we were promised "so much more" as to what's in store besides just poisoning the rations - which are on the way.  And DSK is part of who's all behind it.  Oh DSK, you are messing with Dutch's Johnny now, that's like tickling the mean fire-breathing female dragon who feels her eggs are endangered.  Translation:  you're a dead woman walking until Dutch finds the time to end you.

So now that we know The Wall causes euphoria - especially when cranked way up - I wonder if Johnny's "I am in love with Pawter" (to Dutch) and then the twin "I love you"s between J&P were just because their inhibitions were significantly lowered, if not pretty much gone, and not based on just what they truly feel for one another.  Its not a stretch to think that, when I've seen some wasted people (usually drunk, but maybe in other ways) walk up to almost strangers and be all "I love you!" and everything is great & wonderful and no worries and can't be bothered by a damn thing,  which is what J&P were in the whole last half of the episode.  Very high on life, IOW.

I don't want Aneela to actually be Dutch, IE a suppressed forgotten version of herself.  That would means she's 200+ years old.  Just, no.  I love Dutch, but isn't she special enough already?  

The reveal of Khlyen being "father" to Aneela is not a real huge surprise, was kind of expecting it on some level.  Also kills any wondering about if Khlyen is 240+ years old himself, or not.  Really makes me wonder who The Lady is now.  Is it Aneela or Aneela/Dutch's mom,  or maybe some other woman that like 500+ years old (but looks just a little older than the main cast)?

ETA:  (paraphrased)  Pawter: "I'm so happy right now I could die".  *gets underneath something solid and watches the sky anxiously for falling anvils*.  Looks like the 'Jaqobis-luck-wth-not!Dutch-females curse' is still running its course.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
forgot something
  • Love 6

I thought something was off about John and Pawter getting all lovey-dovey, and that Aaron Ashmore and Sarah Power seemed to be more over-the-top then normal, so the reveal that they were under a euphoria drug thankfully explained all that.  This is the reason for the wall around Old Town, and it's all part of Jelco's plan, which also involves Kendry.  And it also includes giving citizens poisonous rations.  Not sure what is all going on here.  Or how in the hell John and Pawter are going to get out of being set-up by Jelco for that other guy's murder.  Craziness!

After a brief conversation with Olan, the kid from the school episodes back, Dutch, D'Avin, and Alvis find another one of Khylen's safehouses, which leads them to a lair, where those twelve ancient ones were kept.  Only one is still alive (and it's the guy who plays Kertland on Orphan Black!!), and he lets them all know that it was this Aneela person, who apparently referred to Khylen as "father", so I really don't know what to think about all of this.

Overall, an OK episode, but I found myself missing John being separated from the other two.  Even though I find D'Avin and Alvis' spats more entertaining then they should be, I was just missing John's wit throughout all the reveals.  Hopefully he and Dutch will make-up soon after these latest revelations and her finding out he's wanted for murder now.

Euphoria or not euphoria, Pree really does have a great singing voice.

• Love 8

"You know, monk me up a bit."

Ha! How did D'Avin grow on me? He bored me so much in season 1, but he has had some of the best quips this season. And Alvis trying to coach him in how to control his powers was too funny ("Fight him with peace!" "You are really bad at this!") Those 2 are hilarious together.

I liked but didn't love this episode. I kind of need Dutch, Johnny and D'Avin to be all together. I like Pawter, but she's no substitute for the team dynamic.

Loved Pree singing. I'm assuming that was Thom Allison doing the singing. He sounded great.

I hope Khlyen is back next week. I need some answers on Dutch's real origins.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 7

After a brief conversation with Olan, the kid from the school episodes back, Dutch, D'Avin, and Alvis find another one of Khylen's safehouses, which leads them to a lair, where those twelve ancient ones were kept.  Only one is still alive (and it's the guy who plays Kertland on Orphan Black!!), and he lets them all know that it was this Aneela person, who apparently referred to Khylen as "father", so I really don't know what to think about all of this.

Didn't Dutch mention that there were only 10 dead in the chairs? If so, you have the one ancient one still alive, which leaves one more. Khylen? Unless of course I misheard what was said.

They had Johnny say why he didn't tell Dutch and D'Avin about working with Pawter and it sounded incredibly lame. No wonder she got pissed and left him. Or was that because he said he loved Pawter? Oh well, given "I'm so happy I could die" it seems like the writers are going to make sure Johnny is available for shipping but Dutch is guilt free in the matter. 

Stoner love was mildly amusing, otherwise kind of blah. Dutch anguish over being a clone of Khlyen's daughter wasn't quite as gripping as the writers feel, sorry. 

Plot...well, busy, busy, busy. But it's clear Dutch will save the universe!

He! I loved D'Avin and Alvis trying the whole grasshopper routine - that was definitely the highlight of the episode.

The whole team Lucy conflict feels forced but there you go. They could have separated the team by simply having them sit down and discuss what was going on and decide to split forces in order to investigate all the different lose ends they are currently holding in their hands. That would have made a lot more sense but obviously the writers wanted some drama *shrugs*

Another episode with a main character singing? Pree's got a great voice and it made more sense for him to break into song than for Dutch but still - I prefer my sci-fi without singing.

I wish show would finally deliver a bit more answers and not add more riddles to every answer it delivers. Delle Seyah Kendry is probably the best example of that problem. Whenever she shows up we get some info about what's going on but never why. I wouldn't mind if we had 22 episodes per season - but we don't. And the reveal that Not-Dutch was/is Khlyen's daughter wasn't such a big surprise . She's probably also the Lady.

On a side-note: Was that Wynonna Earp's agent Dolls (Shamier Anderson) as Arune Hyponia? I never got to see the end-credits and IMDB isn't any help either. I was sure I recognized his voice and then was miffed (not for plot-related reasons) when he got shot.

• Love 3

I actually liked the Wall story.  It might be a little anticlimactic but there is nothing wrong with anticlimactic when it makes sense and it does in the large scheme of corporate takeover things.  I actually loved the Johnny and Pawter scenes a great deal more then Dutch and D'Avin which I found increasingly boring.  Maybe because Johnny and Pawter have such fun chemistry and it showed in this episode.  Maybe its because I still don't like D'Avin or maybe because the more I think about it the more I really do like the Wall storyline.  I mean an evil corporation of evil traps all its workers behind a wall and then doses them with happy spray so they are at their mercy.  Yeah I can see that happening.   Plus again I love me Johnny and Pawter and they were on fire.  

• Love 7

Clearly, deciding to have a clandestine meeting with another Family head on Westlerly, in the middle of Oldtown, under the watchful of eye of a smug, nasty Company commander who knows you are working against him was a tactical error.

• Love 10

I was upset that Arune got killed too. Sometimes I feel like some shows kill off guest stars too quickly. I'm not saying they need to integrate them into the show. It would just be nice to have people besides Dutchs crew especially when they need help in certain situations.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

On a side-note: Was that Wynonna Earp's agent Dolls (Shamier Anderson) as Arune Hyponia? I never got to see the end-credits and IMDB isn't any help either. I was sure I recognized his voice and then was miffed (not for plot-related reasons) when he got shot.

Yeah, that was him. It's a shame that they killed him off. I'd have liked having more insight into the Nine.

• Love 2

Even though the writing and portrayal of him has come a long way since last season, I had to shake my head that D'avin chose Dutch over Johnny.  "Johnny lied to me too, he needs a timeout".   Really?  What is this, Kindergarten Rules?!?

Not a fan of how they made it obvious that Dutch made D'avin choose her over Johnny, too.  Johnny's either "you're gravity" & "you're thing" or he's not, Dutch.  You don't get to pick and choose when they matter enough to care about if you truly feel so strongly about someone, be it as a brotherly friend or romantic interest.  As mentioned above, this was all so easily avoidable if it was all brought out in the open and attacked from all sides, but no, we needed more drama! so lying and hurt feelings abound.

I hope the writers are smart enough to not even hint that Dutch - or D'avin - would believe that Johnny would straight up murder [or be party to it] a Nine(?) politician and stop for an all-smiles selfie afterwards.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

You don't get to pick and choose when they matter enough to care about if you truly feel so strongly about someone, be it as a brotherly friend or romantic interest. 

Totally agree. I really am disappointed in the team work this season, and how D`avin and Dutch have apparently just cut their losses with Johnny, and how Johnny is pointlessly keeping secrets, and I am REALLY disappointed by the fact that they basically left Johnny to rot in jail. I mean, I am sure he would be fine and they did have shit to do, but Johnny is their brother/BFF, they could have shown a teeny bit of concern for him, even if he screwed up. Now I suppose they wont even notice or care that he has been drugged into oblivion by a creepy guy, and set up for murder. Whatevs! 

I thought that Johnny and Pawter were being weird, so I was relieved to realize they were drugged, and not just acting OOC. I do like them together, but I feel like Dutch/Johnny could still appear on the horizon. 

My favorite parts of the episode was everything with Alvis and D`avin and Alvis attempting to be all "one with the force" but getting frustrated. 

• Love 6

Agree with your points, tennisgurl.

I know I always view their interaction through a Du/J shipper pair of glasses, but to go along with Dutch leaving Johnny 'in jail', I can't help but have to wonder if Johnny's "I'm in love with Pawter" to Dutch was kind of a jab at her with her "you're my gravity/my thing" stuff and how she's acted jealous of Pawter&Johnny.   IOW, it was his way of saying "I've been here for 5(?) years and you've had more than enough time & chances to let me know if you feel something more for me, but I'm kind of unavailable right now.  That, and you banged my brother who you'd only known for a couple months - after I beggingly asked you (both) not to do that.  So yeah, we're a bit at different points on the personal level currently."

• Love 3

I don't ship Dutch and Johnny; in fact I find their platonic devotion really refreshing!  However I do not like the team being apart like that and for that reason did not care for this episode much.  As others have mentioned it would have made a lot of sense for them to agree to split up to do their investigating.

• Love 3

I would be all for Dutch and Johnny being a great platonic friendship, gibasi.  And I wouldn't be against it if that is all it turned out to be.....

However - and included is the disclaimer to take this with knowing that my SN wasn't just picked for the hell of it -  but of all of whatever TV I have watched;  Du/J is the (so far) most romantically-inclined or romance-possible platonic relationship I've ever witnessed, especially so this season.  Even more so than a very recently cancelled CBS series [Limitless] *muffles curses and snarls* that also had quite a lot of viewers wanting a strictly platonic relationship between the show's leads, but at the very end (of the way-too-short series, *slaps table in anger*) it definitely hinted at them becoming more than friends.  And I know that two situations are never exact, but I am drawing some very noticeable comparisons between the two shows and how fans perceive certain aspects.

I fully admit I shipped the show's leads on the other show I just mentioned, so maybe I am influenced a bit in that way, but I'm a Du/J guy and don't ever see myself changing my mind or desire for that pairing - even if never happens on screen, & they stay platonic.

• Love 1

I really preferred how they handled Dutch/Johnny last season - a relationship based on trust and loyalty and no drama. It was possible to argue that Johnny had been friend-zoned but considering Dutch's emotional problems that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. You could still ship them if you wanted to or simply ignore the question what could be between these two and focus on whatever crazy plot was going on.

That whole 'you're my thing'-nonsense is doing none of the characters any favors. And this episode with Dutch and D'Avin pouting about Johnny's lies and leaving his rescue to Pawter was a low-point for both characters even though they had their own lame rationale. It really shattered what was the stronghold of team Lucy last season - that they stick together even if one of them screws up badly. (And quite frankly I don't see anything Johnny did as the massive betrayal Dutch and D'Avin were making of it. Also: maybe if they had paid a bit more attention to him they might have noticed that he was up to something.)

I must say that right now I prefer Dark Matter to Killjoys and one of the main reasons is that DM has gotten rid (for the time being at least ) of romantic subplots. It's not that I don't want any romance but ever so often those plots have a tendency to overcrowd the writing, convolute emotional dynamics to an unnecessary degree and pull away focus from what should be the main story/plot. All that is right now happening on Killjoys.

(Oh, and @iRarelyWatchTV36 I share your pain about Limitless!)

• Love 7

Another thing that makes me think that Du/J could be a thing, or at least that Du/D'a are not the most likely endgame pairing, is that in most cases if a pairing was meant to be, there would be distinct reconciliation by 'wronged parties'.  IE, Johnny would tell them both that while upset at first, that maybe Dutch&D'avin were meant to be and just right for each other, especially as he's exploring a LI himself (IE Pawter).  And also, when Dutch tried to 'roll' with Alvis & Sabine w/ D'avin, he/she would have laid the truth bomb on her/him, that "while flattering, we both know I'm not the one you really want to be with."  But we've seen none of that - though, yes, Sabine did mention something about a rebound.  And the ridiculously soap-operatic 'dwanting' business that Pree brought up.

What makes it all such a huge mess, is that there have been (IMO) very noticeable hints/winks/nudges toward both of the *potentiality of* Dutch/John & Dutch/D'avin pairings, all in the same episode(s) [or close enough to be in the same 43 minutes of air time]!   At the end of 2.5, Dutch squeezes Johnny tight and calls him "her gravity" & they'll always be together, right? [paraphrasing], and shortly into 2.6, Pree notices Dutch gazing at D'a/S and lets her know that 'dwanting' is ok. 

Makes a person dizzy trying to follow the pinball as it whizzes around like crazy.

(Thanks, MissLucas, bows head in moment of frustrated silence)

• Love 1

Eh, have to confess it still seems to me they should commit to the scifi and just have her marry them both. She's woman enough to handle it, I'm sure. 

What I'm really feeling is the mourning for Limitless. Pass me a kleenex, please.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I really preferred how they handled Dutch/Johnny last season - a relationship based on trust and loyalty and no drama. It was possible to argue that Johnny had been friend-zoned but considering Dutch's emotional problems that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. You could still ship them if you wanted to or simply ignore the question what could be between these two and focus on whatever crazy plot was going on.

That whole 'you're my thing'-nonsense is doing none of the characters any favors. And this episode with Dutch and D'Avin pouting about Johnny's lies and leaving his rescue to Pawter was a low-point for both characters even though they had their own lame rationale. It really shattered what was the stronghold of team Lucy last season - that they stick together even if one of them screws up badly. (And quite frankly I don't see anything Johnny did as the massive betrayal Dutch and D'Avin were making of it. Also: maybe if they had paid a bit more attention to him they might have noticed that he was up to something.)

I must say that right now I prefer Dark Matter to Killjoys and one of the main reasons is that DM has gotten rid (for the time being at least ) of romantic subplots. It's not that I don't want any romance but ever so often those plots have a tendency to overcrowd the writing, convolute emotional dynamics to an unnecessary degree and pull away focus from what should be the main story/plot. All that is right now happening on Killjoys.

(Oh, and @iRarelyWatchTV36 I share your pain about Limitless!)

The romances are the main reason I still haven't caught up on this show. They are all so lame. 

On that issue I'm slightly miffed that I've seen exactly zero of the opportunistic sexual fluidity that McFarlane spoke about in a pre-premiere interview. Though I guess Pree being awesomely fabulous is a consolation prize.

• Love 4