Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: 2M7258-100

Jane goes undercover in a county jail to lure out a murderer.

Evidently this is the actual 100th episode (I think I called an earlier episode the 100th) and directed by Angie Harmon. 

Angie, the next time you direct Lorraine,  please ask her to tone it DOWN.

Also,  loved seeing Cagney (Sharon Gless ). I was kinda hoping they would have her be undercover too,  keeping an eye on Jane from the inside.  And in the end,  find out she was Cagney. Would have been hilarious. 

• Love 8

Also,  loved seeing Cagney (Sharon Gless ). I was kinda hoping they would have her be undercover too,  keeping an eye on Jane from the inside.  And in the end,  find out she was Cagney. Would have been hilarious.

Especially if Tyne Daly had walked in with her.

It's not a fair world in which Sharon Gless plays such small parts, but I'll take any glimpse of her I can get. 

Angie didn't do a bad job directing.  It was very much a first-time deal, where you do certain shots because you're excited by them visually, not because they serve the story, but not at all horrible.  She doesn't have a career in it (nor do I think she's seeking one), but it wasn't embarrassing to hand her the reins for one of the final episodes.  Hopefully Sasha's will come off the same.

I don't trust this show with where it seems to be going with the characters, but I'm working to keep an open mind.  Angela can get stuffed though; that opinion isn't going to change.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't trust this show with where it seems to be going with the characters, but I'm working to keep an open mind.  Angela can get stuffed though; that opinion isn't going to change.

Yeah, I'm getting an uneasy feeling too. I've resigned myself to the idea that what I want I'm not gonna get, because if the show was planning to go there they'd have done it in the third season or so, but I'm not real thrilled with what's unfolding now.

And OMG, shut up, Angela. I get that she's worried after everything that's happened, and normally she doesn't bother me, but having her suddenly shrieking at Jane was just over the top. Cool it, woman.

• Love 2

For whatever reason, Jane's line to Korsak about fairies being the natural enemy of the biker cracked me up. Angie's delivery helped sell it, too.

I ended up liking this one more than I expected to. IMO Jane seemed a little more mature or thoughtful or… something. Less irritating than she's been in a long time.YMMV, of course. And I was glad to see Nina get a bit of a moment to shine chasing down the suspect, and that she and Frankie seemed to work through their problem by talking and acting like adults, unlike other people of late *coughAngeladumpingRoncough*

Sadtvjunkie, I'm not sure why Snake killed the two bikers, either. Either I spaced it out or they didn't ever really say.

I'm no expert, but somehow I'm not sure a tribal style tattoo would've impressed anyone in prison. That being said, it was really cool looking.

I wonder why we're always at Jane's sublet place now, and never see Maura's house anymore?

• Love 1

For whatever reason, Jane's line to Korsak about fairies being the natural enemy of the biker cracked me up. Angie's delivery helped sell it, too.

I also laughed at the lack of pixie dust as evidence that Tinkerbell was not, indeed, the prime suspect.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugh, I'm so glad this show is coming to an end.  Angela freaks out because Jane is going undercover in a jail for less than 48 hours?! Why doesn't she freak out EVERY TIME Jane goes out in the field?? That is far more dangerous in my opinion.  Then during her meltdown, Angela blames Jane for her lack of relationships?? Umm no, Ang, that was all you and your stupid decision. 

I liked the Nina scenes.  I wish there were more. 

Jane got a job offer from the FBI? She taught one class,  and poorly IMO, and now she's considered so awesome at interrogations that she can teach the best of the best?!  Give me a break!  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 2

This show was hilarious- and I don't necessarily mean in a good way. I love how, on tv shows, cops can go undercover for like 30 seconds and get the "in" that they need. I don't believe for a second that being "protected" 2 times by a complete stranger was going to cause that woman to offer her a hit-man job. Completely rolled my eyes. 

I also didn't like the Nina storyline too much but that may be because I don't really remember much about her story. I just didn't feel Frankie was so much in jeopardy for her to freak out like she did. She is a cop. Her training would've kicked in and she would've had her freak-out later when she had time to let the adrenaline run out and think back on what happened. From what I understand, cops (and firefighters- my area of knowledge) compartmentalism so much on the job that they just put it aside and get the job done. But, I'm gathering that someone else got injured in the line of duty and that's why she freaked?  

There were parts I liked, though, so I'll be a little sad when the show is gone. 

2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Ugh, I'm so glad this show is coming to an end.  Angela freaks out because Jane is going undercover in a jail for less than 48 hours?! Why doesn't she freak out EVERY TIME Jane goes out in the field?? That is far more dangerous in my opinion.  Then during her meltdown, Angela blames Jane for her lack of relationships?? Umm no, Ang, that was all you and your stupid decision. 

I liked the Nina scenes.  I wish there were more. 

Jane got a job offer from the FBI? She taught one class,  and poorly IMO, and now she's considered so awesome at interrogations that she can teach the best of the best?!  Give me a break!  

Angela ticked me off. It was her own stupid fault she broke up with Ron and she tried to blame it on Jane. Also, Jane's a grown woman doing a job she loves. I really wanted Jane to tell her off.

• Love 1

While this isn't as bad as when someone gets romantically involved with a person who has a dangerous or time-consuming job and then continually huffs about that fact - because there that's how things were from the beginning of the relationship and a choice was made to enter into it, and here is a parent/child relationship - Angela pitching a fit after all this time had me wanting to reach through the TV and strangle her.  It's not like Jane being a cop is new, and this undercover gig was less dangerous than her day-to-day job.  God, Angela bugs me so much!

Jane loves her job.  She's good at it.  Doing her job helps people.  If they're going to have her shift away from it as the series ends, it had damn well better be for her own reasons, and not some ridiculous guilt trip from her overbearing mother.   

• Love 4
4 hours ago, GenL said:

I also didn't like the Nina storyline too much but that may be because I don't really remember much about her story. I just didn't feel Frankie was so much in jeopardy for her to freak out like she did. She is a cop. Her training would've kicked in and she would've had her freak-out later when she had time to let the adrenaline run out and think back on what happened. From what I understand, cops (and firefighters- my area of knowledge) compartmentalism so much on the job that they just put it aside and get the job done. But, I'm gathering that someone else got injured in the line of duty and that's why she freaked?

IIRC, her former partner and boyfriend was killed in a similar situation. That's why she hasn't been in the field. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

While this isn't as bad as when someone gets romantically involved with a person who has a dangerous or time-consuming job and then continually huffs about that fact - because there that's how things were from the beginning of the relationship and a choice was made to enter into it, and here is a parent/child relationship - Angela pitching a fit after all this time had me wanting to reach through the TV and strangle her.  It's not like Jane being a cop is new, and this undercover gig was less dangerous than her day-to-day job.  God, Angela bugs me so much!

Jane loves her job.  She's good at it.  Doing her job helps people.  If they're going to have her shift away from it as the series ends, it had damn well better be for her own reasons, and not some ridiculous guilt trip from her overbearing mother.   

That's why I hated Angela's freak out too, because its such an annoying trope. Understanding her reasons doesn't help, because I can't get past that Jane is a grown-ass woman who's been doing this for as long as the show has been running, and now her mom is shittin' kittens about it? Its terrible writing.

• Love 2

Regarding nina's backstory,  I believe her boyfriend/fiance was a teacher,  and was killed by a student as part of a gang initiation.  She thought she should have seen it coming and stopped it.  That's why she hasn't been in the field much since moving to Boston from Chicago.  I could have some details wrong. 

Thinking back,  I'm still not sure how Jane solved the crime,  did she have some revelation once she was out of jail?  What a great detective,  maybe she'll teach "hang out with Maura to solve crimes" at the FBI (I did laugh at that tshirt last episode). 

(edited)

Maura still has her motorcycle! And the sidecar which is awesome. The delivery on the Tinkerbell line was really great too. By the time it hit the pixie dust line though, it was stretched a little thin. There were several instances of that for me. Angie did a decent job, but I get why most shows give their cast episodes they aren't in as much to direct. There were some shots and moments (the slow closing of the doors to talk to Angela, the theatrical way Jane went into the prison and the swoop in on her face) that probably seemed like a good idea on paper, but came across as just unnecessary. The flow was off.

I know Jane was realizing how much she's missing out on with the pictures, but my takeaway was just a yay that Maura has fun doing things with others who want to do them too. They may have said that Jane was too busy working, but my story is that Jane wasn't there because they were Maura's interests, and everyone agreed they would all be happier if Jane did something else.

Angela's freakout was annoying as hell but I did get it. This wasn't Jane doing her job. This was Jane volunteering to go above and beyond her job to do something arguably stupid with negligible necessity. I'd have been pissed too. I was surprised that Maura went along with it so easily. But then I never understood how we got from normal case suspect in jail to Jane needs to go undercover. Likewise how we got from stupid criminal trying to arrange a hit to really she's just trying to do the right thing for her sister. So maybe I'm not the best judge.

I liked Nina and Frankie's story line. I was right there with her when she hit back at Frankie telling her she was overreacting, even if I agreed. Still it was something that needed to come up at some point, and this was much less dramatic than it could have been while still having some emotional impact. Too bad it meant that Frankie apparently couldn't even have two lines about his sister's stupid undercover plan.

I don't get Jane's sudden interest in a career change. They seem to be equating it with Maura writing a novel, but Maura has been writing for like three seasons now. Progressing to a novel is hardly shocking for someone like Maura. Same for Maura volunteering some at the clinics, exploring another what if she's mentioned in the past. Now Jane is thinking of leaving Boston to become a teacher, albeit one at Quantico. The hell? That is not the same and is not a left turn that is working for me.

Edited by l star
I somehow forgot that Maura manages to work and do what she wants
  • Love 3

Loved seeing Sharon Gless. It would have been wonderful if the show could have gotten Tyne Daly to do a cameo as well as an homage to Cagney & Lacey, which I see as a direct predecessor to Rizzoli and Isles.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2016 at 11:41 PM, l star said:

I don't get Jane's sudden interest in a career change. They seem to be equating it with Maura writing a novel, but Maura has been writing for like three seasons now. Progressing to a novel is hardly shocking for someone like Maura. Same for Maura volunteering some at the clinics, exploring another what if she's mentioned in the past. Now Jane is thinking of leaving Boston to become a teacher, albeit one at Quantico. The hell? That is not the same and is not a left turn that is working for me.

Sadly, I think Jan Nash and TNT just don't know how to end R&I.  They are unwilling to go with a romantic relationship between Jane and Maura, even though the two women are soulmates.  They haven't even let them live together except when Jane was recuperating.  So, the answer is to separate them geographically?  Nonsense and cowardice!  If she pairs up Jane with boring FBI Guy, I'm petitioning to revoke Jan Nash's "gay card."  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Scamp said:

Sadly, I think Jan Nash and TNT just don't know how to end R&I.  They are unwilling to go with a romantic relationship between Jane and Maura, even though the two women are soulmates.  They haven't even let them live together except when Jane was recuperating.  So, the answer is to separate them geographically?  Nonsense and cowardice!  If she pairs up Jane with boring FBI Guy, I'm petitioning to revoke Jan Nash's "gay card."  

That would be so cool. Although they would need to work on Jane groaning over things Maura likes. But it would be really cool if they just paired them together. I hate that they have to even split them up. What about Jane suggests she ever wants to be anything but a cop in Boston doing her job?  Why does she have to change that when its not in character for her to want to? Its in character for Maura to move from writing to a novel and to help out in clinics.  Jane's happy where she is. Now, if they want to move Angela far away...that would be great.

• Love 3