Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought the hops were costing them points.  So, they're not?  Also, I cannot believe the Russian has the silver medal.  What did I miss?

They were. What they were doing were trying vaults with really high start values and then not executing cleanly. Well, some cleaner than others.  

Just now, annzeepark914 said:

I thought the hops were costing them points.  So, they're not?  Also, I cannot believe the Russian has the silver medal.  What did I miss?

It's costing them. but i mean. I don't know, maybe I just sound like cranky grandma here. But I remember in the 90s and early 00's that people were still doing difficult vaults but they were cleaner in form, and execution. the hops that we saw - well to borrow from Tim Daggett - they would be "ohh my gosh that... that just cost them a medal in my mind."

Now it's like, "Watch me to do _________" and then it's crossed legs, and step forwards, sidewards or back wards, and it's still a massive score (like high enough to qualify for the finals and medals, and you're like. "um.. really?") London was gross too. (Beijing wasn't that tidy either if i really think about it). 

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Nellie Kim sighting! 

Nellie's been seen a lot this Olympics. she's been busy. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Nellie Kim sighting! 

She's one of the ones directly responsible for the current code of chucking skills to get a high D-score, fall on your ass, and still medal. She's been bitter since Nadia beat her in '76 and hasn't stopped since trying to destroy the sport.

She also needs to stop her ugly ass mugging for the TV. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 2

That was certainly a messy competition, but all those other gymnasts had to go for broke and perform vaults that they likely couldn't land cleanly (or at all, it would seem) because Simone is SO clean that she was going to get really high execution scores.  She made it look so easy, even with the tiny hops on both landings; she was always going to win easily unless Hong, Karmakar, or Chusovitina hit one of their insanely hard vaults, and even then Simone might still have won.  I'm so happy Simone snagged our first ever gold in women's vault, and I'm also thrilled for Giulia!

• Love 2

For all the fiddling w/ the CoP they do, why hasn't the vaulting issues been dealt with? It's not really Simone Biles that's the issue. London was pretty messy too. In the men's final we'll have the same thing. Igor Radivilov will attempt to break his legs doing a triple front or something like that.

5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

That was certainly a messy competition, but all those other gymnasts had to go for broke and perform vaults that they likely couldn't land cleanly (or at all, it would seem) because Simone is SO clean that she was going to get really high execution scores.  She made it look so easy, even with the tiny hops on both landings; she was always going to win easily unless Hong, Karmakar, or Chusovitina hit one of their insanely hard vaults, and even then Simone might still have won.  I'm so happy Simone snagged our first ever gold in women's vault, and I'm also thrilled for Giulia!

At least to the judges credit, there was a clear separation between Simone and Pasaka since they didn't the exact same vaults. Simone won by over 0.7 and her execution scores were so much higher than Pasaka's. 

At least someone didn't medal with a fall like Cheng in '08 and Maroney in '12. That's a least an improvement.

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, greendog78 said:

For all the fiddling w/ the CoP they do, why hasn't the vaulting issues been dealt with? It's not really Simone Biles that's the issue. London was pretty messy too. In the men's final we'll have the same thing. Igor Radivilov will attempt to break his legs doing a triple front or something like that.

Ugh. I just remembered that French guy... his leg... (shudder)

Just now, DawnDavenport said:

At least to the judges credit, there was a clear separation between Simone and Pasaka since they didn't the exact same vaults. Simone won by over 0.7 and her execution scores were so much higher than Pasaka's. 

At least someone didn't medal with a fall in Cheng in '08 and Maroney and '12. That's a least an improvement.

This is true. I can live with the hops if it prevents that. 

1 minute ago, greendog78 said:

Remember the men's vault final in London? That might have been the best competition I've ever seen. Everyone was sticking everything. (Speaking of which, what happened to Yang of South Korea? Did he retire?)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Scovies said:

Remember the men's vault final in London? That might have been the best competition I've ever seen. Everyone was sticking everything. (Speaking of which, what happened to Yang of South Korea? Did he retire?)

Yes that was nice! Too bad it won't be repeated tomorrow. :/ Yang didn't retire. He had an ankle? injury and didn't make the Olympic team.

• Love 1

I slept in so I'm just now starting the feed.  Again, I love Horton's commentary.  Everything that Tim does wrong, Horton is doing right.  Like Tim, Horton is saying that Gymnast X (Kenzo in this case) is second to none, should win based on his start value+ability, etc. BUT he then immediately points out that anything can happen in an event final and not to just assume that he'd win and to keep an eye on the other finalists.  Since Max ends up winning, it was a smart approach.  To be fair to Tim, he used to say stuff like that twenty years ago before his head was completely up his ass, but these days he just makes his grand pronouncements* and never bothers to put things in perspective even when he's commenting on tape and already knows the winners. 

*He jinxed Maroney in the 2012 team final when he kept insisting that she would win vault gold later in the week and I've never forgiven him.  That's why I was so nervous for Simone before the games because if she were to lose it would be because Tim jinxed her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Hoping Alex holds on for a medal. I still wonder how differently the story of his tattoo would play if a woman did that. 

What' the story of his tattoo?

2 minutes ago, greendog78 said:

Max is having the best day ever. :)

He IS!
Winningest GBR gymnast ever! and two golds!
Is he performing again? (I feel bad for Louis though). 

2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

He has a big London 2012 tattoo on his arm to remind him of failing to make the team last time (he was an alternate).

Ohooo. 
Hmm. probably "weird" for a woman but i know rowers etc who had that done. (and medaled... maybe it's like a lucky thing). 

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

What' the story of his tattoo?

He IS!
Winningest GBR gymnast ever! and two golds!
Is he performing again? (I feel bad for Louis though). 

That was his last event. The only GB qualifiers left are Wilson on HB and Tinkler on floor.

Just now, Daisy said:

Ohooo. 
Hmm. probably "weird" for a woman but i know rowers etc who had that done. (and medaled... maybe it's like a lucky thing). 

I feel like it's a story that would play differently depending on how you tell it. It could be a sign of grit and determination or a story of over the top obsession depending on perspective. NBC tends to make it sound more like determination.

Just now, HerLadyship said:

With you. My pick would be Aliya--Madison--either Chansong or Daria. 

Sorry Gabby. 

I'm fine with that. 

well Gabby made a mistake so i think she's out anyway.