Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

3 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

9.566 execution score is a bit high for that step out when compared to Aly. Just sayin'. 

hmm.

Alyia has a good vault tiny little smudge on the landing 15.2 

man my computer is slow today. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

9.566 execution score is a bit high for that step out when compared to Aly. Just sayin'. 

Absolutely not. Aly was once again over scored. She has bent legs, space between in her legs, less momentum and height in her vault. Aly should have been about .2 lower.

• Love 3
Just now, DawnDavenport said:

After Sydney. The same year the new vault table was introduced.

I really wish they hadn't. i always liked vault, and one is not enough. 

• Love 2
Just now, HerLadyship said:

They only do two vaults for the vault final. The people who wanted to make the vault final did two in qualification. 

That makes sense. I definitely remember two vaults in London, when Maroney did her one amazing vault and then landed on her butt right after.

15 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I heard a radio talkshow host talking about what the women's soccer team gets paid a few weeks ago. It was something crazy outlandishly uneven. Like here you go men's team, here's a billion dollars and here you go women's team… you get a free tee shirt and you owe us for your lodging and transportation. 

That's because the men's World Cup makes billions of dollars. The women's World Cup doesn't make anywhere near that.

Right now, Carli Lloyd probably makes more than any American male soccer player in endorsements, though.

Just now, Daisy said:

I really wish they hadn't. i always liked vault, and one is not enough. 

Yeah it was  weird change. Until '96, the gymnast could do the same vault and in the team comp., the highest score counted and the same applied until after '92. Starting in '93 in the all around, the gymnast could do the same vault but the scores were averaged. Starting in '97, the gymnasts still did two vaults but they had to do two different vaults in both team and all around and they were averaged. 

The problem after 2000 is the vault code was too hard and hardly anyone had a 10.0 vault. Maybe they thought training two different vaults was too difficult since the code got harder. I often heard the 2001-2004 code referred to as the "death" code for women. It was very difficult to get 10.0 start values on every event. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, choclatechip45 said:

Jordyn gave John Geddert a cut of her endorsement money.

And we only know about it because it is so incredibly uncommon. And she is from a upper middle class/wealthy family. Big difference than Chow wanting a cut of her money put into their contract.

• Love 2
Just now, Minneapple said:

That's because the men's World Cup makes billions of dollars. The women's World Cup doesn't make anywhere near that.

Right now, Carli Lloyd probably makes more than any American male soccer player in endorsements, though.

Top players like Clint Dempsey still make a lot more in endorsements and such than Lloyd does.

2 minutes ago, pivot said:

And we only know about it because it is so incredibly uncommon. And she is from a upper middle class/wealthy family. Big difference than Chow wanting a cut of her money put into their contract.

Geddert. He was such an attention whore. I'm glad he's not a factor here. I remember he was standing Jordyn in London and he was the only one doing it. The other coaches were trying to let the girls have the moment together but he had to have his mug in the camera. 

• Love 1
Just now, Minneapple said:

Ugh, Carlotta Ferlito. If there's one gymnast I'd like to see fail miserably...

I read some things she said recently, and I agree. I do not like her. 

15 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Since Simone has gone as high as 9.9 in Execution on the Amanar, it's a fair score . 

As a swim fan, even I'm irritated with the  number of damn semi-finals we need to sit through while waiting till 11:40pm for gymnastics to start. It's so bad I almost feel like I should apologize for being one of the people NBC is catering to!

Thank God I can live stream today with no interruptions.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I'm seeing a lot of 13s posted on NBC site, something tells me either the beam or floor isn't playing nice.

The the beam and floor rotations are the lower ranked athletes as well so that could account for the scores. I imagine they will go up as the D-scores and higher ranked gymnasts rotate to them.

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I read some things she said recently, and I agree. I do not like her. 

What did she say? 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 1

Yeah I have another site I'm following while I run around and the lowest 6 started on floor and 13-18th qualifiers on Beam so that's probably what it is.

Hopefully our ladies survive bars.

Edited by kittykat

Nice to see all of the gymnasts have a good 1st rotation. I hope it continues throughout.

not everyone wants to watch the Olympics on their computer or phone, and not everyone can watch the internet on their TV. We're not all millennials. 

LOL, I'm  decades past being a millennial and can watch on my tv.

I think gymnastics will be the main focus tonight. Simone is a huge draw (IMO) for the American audience.

1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

After worlds a couple years ago, she implied that Simone only won because she's black.

and if they painted their skin black, they could win too. 

That was an ugly bar set Aly, but relatively clean. 

4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

After worlds a couple years ago, she implied that Simone only won because she's black.

Italians aren't known for their racial sensitivity. You should see the fans at the soccer matches. The teams often play in empty stadiums due to racial flareups. 

And yes, I'm Italian.

19 minutes ago, pivot said:

Good point personally I don't think these girls should give a cut of their money to the coaches. I think they receive a good amount of publicity from having an elite. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Good point personally I don't think these girls should give a cut of their money to the coaches. I think they receive a good amount of publicity from having an elite. 

Not to mention, money from the families while they train to the elite level. 

• Love 3

Bleh. I just got a reminder of why I don't like Chinese gymnastics. I know the pirouettes get good bonus points, but it just seems so much safer and not fun to watch than doing the release moves.

16 minutes ago, Daisy said:

They didn't show the Canadians :( 
(and i'm watching CBC. soo. booooo)

They are showing both of them. I think they're doing a good job squeezing in the Canadian performances without missing out the top competitors' routines.

But I feel bad for poor Brenda Irving. She is so sweet and professional, but she has no clue about gymnastics and should be doing a different sport. Kyle is having a hard time not correcting her every sentence.

2 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

They are showing both of them. I think they're doing a good job squeezing in the Canadian performances without missing out the top competitors' routines.

But I feel bad for poor Brenda Irving. She is so sweet and professional, but she has no clue about gymnastics and should be doing a different sport. Kyle is having a hard time not correcting her every sentence.

Oh, I'm streaming, (I can't get to the television until... well in 10 minutes LOL). online, they aren't showing Ellie/isabella.