Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, spazette said:

Welcome to Chiefs country, @kalibean!! 

Thanks!!! I went to my last three years of high school in KC and like the Chiefs quite a bit (more than the Cowboys.) I haven't lived there since but excited to go back. Some of the best fans in the league for sure, and the games are a blast!! If cold. Sometimes very cold ??

On 4/21/2017 at 11:51 PM, woodscommaelle said:

Friend just posted this on Facebook. I am 100% ordering some. Sounds like the most delicious thing ever.

https://www.cookiedonyc.com/

They have a booth at citi field, I'm super excited to go find it the weekend after this one

One of my good friends just went to NYC and said she thought they'd get it every day...she said it was good, but not worth the 20 minute wait more than once. She was a little bummed it wasn't all she hoped  

So if I've saved you some calories, yay! If not, still seems like it's worth trying at least once. 

• Love 1

Online shipping is back up!  However I didn't realize it was $40 for a pack or 4 single servings plus another $30 for regular shipping so I have to pass. I eat the Whole Foods choc chip cookie dough all the time and have never gotten sick, I'll stick with that for now.  Make sure you get the kind they make at Whole Foods and stick in the freezers at the end of the aisle, don't get the packaged/brand names ones. 

• Love 1

Well girls ...lately I've been enjoying some creative imagination "run away" scenarios.  You guys ever in a stressful, anxiety inducing rut and just dream of another life in another place?

I've been so curious what it would be like to pick up my life and go live somewhere  ... and of course Texas comes to mind!  Granted I'm fascinated by it because of DCC and I think an out-of-shape, pudgy middle-aged woman's experience will be vastly different from that of a DCC but still!  I am very curious about life in Texas and am wondering if I should seriously consider a move there in the future (despite having no friends or family there)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Well girls ...lately I've been enjoying some creative imagination "run away" scenarios.  You guys ever in a stressful, anxiety inducing rut and just dream of another life in another place?

I've been so curious what it would be like to pick up my life and go live somewhere  ... and of course Texas comes to mind!  Granted I'm fascinated by it because of DCC and I think an out-of-shape, pudgy middle-aged woman's experience will be vastly different from that of a DCC but still!  I am very curious about life in Texas and am wondering if I should seriously consider a move there in the future (despite having no friends or family there)

Looking for a roommate? I can't stand the heat, but texas seems like such a cheap place to live.

I have a renovated 4 bedroom, three bath house with a pool hitting the market in a couple weeks in Plano if you need a house!

It's not as cheap as it once was in Dallas, though certainly more affordable than many other metro areas. We have some great communities too, depending on what you enjoy. Great neighborhoods like Kessler Park and Bishop Arts, Uptown if you're more into the scene, Casa Linda and Lakewood by White Rock Lake are great too! And the suburbs aren't too shabby either - Plano and Frisco are growing like crazy. Toyota is moving their headquarters here, along with several other companies. The corridor from Frito Lay to The Star has gone bananas. 

Fort Worth is super charming too ? I also really like Austin and San Antonio. Just depends on what you want! Waco is NOT as awesome as it appears on Fixer Upper, btw. 

Edited by kalibean
Typos. Damn you autocorrect.
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2017 at 7:27 AM, Oranaiche said:

I'm honestly not sure what the legality of it is in the state of Tennessee, but as it is he gave me tomorrow off after I made it clear that I would go over his head to his boss if he didn't change the schedule. I hate to have to do that, but the schedule was completely unreasonable. I also have it on good authority that he was in pretty hot water for taking a day off when myself and my peer didn't have one, so the fact he would write a schedule like that after getting in trouble for the same thing is just outrageous. Hopefully things will get better now that he knows we're not going to stand for it.

Hi - You should look it up as I believe it is illegal in all 50 states to have employees working 7 days a week.  If you are the owner, you can do what you want. But salaried employees should have time and a half on the 6th day and I don;t know what for 7th day. Talk to HR.  Sound illegal to me.  

As a side note, are they really getting the best from staff when working them like this? What do you do?

Edited by PBSLover
50 minutes ago, kalibean said:

Fort Worth is super charming too ? I also really like Austin and San Antonio. Just depends on what you want! Waco is NOT as awesome as it appears on Fixer Upper, btw. 

I'm sad to hear this about Waco lol is there only one nice section by Baylor?

Found out that, after having my dream job for a year and a half, the department I'm in is getting reorganized and, once the reorg is done, the department is not even remotely be the same.  It's getting carved up and shifted around and, from the sounds of things, I might be shifted to an entirely different department (with a different supervisor) than the one I'm currently in.  And all because we have a new director.  I'd ask why he couldn't just leave well enough alone, but there's this thing called a state budget and, between the budget cuts (thanks to a reorg THERE and not just among the personnel, my workplace got hit with a larger-then-before chunk of the cuts) and issues with the new system that we didn't want (but got anyways and we got it before all the bugs were worked out so that's a whole separate issue), things have been rough for my workplace.

At least I still have a job, but I really don't want to have to drive across town when I've been able to walk to work for the past 8 and a half years.  Sorry, still pouting.  The good thing is, if I don't like it, I might be able to transfer out, though if I stick with it, my job might move again to an area where I cut out a lot of the people between me and the VIPs of the company, though I'd still be doing the same thing.

Hi, Ladies!

Completely and totally off topic...what happened to DalGal? Did ShellyB scare her away by potentially putting her identity?

i've really missed her input and am hoping she's posting under a different name.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, LilRedHerring said:

Hi, Ladies!

Completely and totally off topic...what happened to DalGal? Did ShellyB scare her away by potentially putting her identity?

i've really missed her input and am hoping she's posting under a different name.

I was wondering the same thing! I hope she comes back! It was fun having an insider or two.

• Love 3

@spazette RE: staying dry, well so far so good. I'm about a mile from Valley Park well above the flood zone but the road closures are really something else worse even than 2015 I think, fortunately I don't have to go anywhere for a few days yet bc school is out, I teach in Pacific and unfortunately many of the homes there have been flooded. I know we have kids that have lost homes but the news here hasn't been paying much attention to Pacific so what little I know is from Facebook connections. Some of the kids were able to make it to the Cardinals game tonight though they played the anthem so that was good to see. Hope you're staying dry too the pics and video from north of I-70 looked just as bad as the one from around me

I have a job interview in 30 minutes (I've been sitting in my car for ten minutes already...I'm habitually early). It's a three month temp position with a great chance of going perm for the right fit. I've never interviewed for a job while I had a job so the pressure is kind of off. $7-$9 more an hour. No insurance until 60 days but I can manage for the time being. I would LOVE to walk into my current job and give two weeks notice. The place is run so backwards. But I do love the people I work with. So, we shall see...

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I have a job interview in 30 minutes (I've been sitting in my car for ten minutes already...I'm habitually early). It's a three month temp position with a great chance of going perm for the right fit. I've never interviewed for a job while I had a job so the pressure is kind of off. $7-$9 more an hour. No insurance until 60 days but I can manage for the time being. I would LOVE to walk into my current job and give two weeks notice. The place is run so backwards. But I do love the people I work with. So, we shall see...

Good luck today!

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for the good lucks, guys.  It was a really great interview....except....they require a drug test.  She asked if I would pass and I said no, which is so effing frustrating because I'm in Colorado and IT'S LEGAL!.  I'm not going to work high.  What I do in my off time should be my own shit.  She told me her husband went through the same thing and she told me to buy the cleanses on amazon.  It's not a lost cause but she said it can take like three weeks to clear my body and the position is only temp at this point anyway so there's not much time.

I'm pretty bummed but I can look at it two ways:  I can still get submitted and hopefully pass a drug test.  Or, everything happens for a reason.

It's been snowing on and off all day here at work and everyone is in a shitty mood.  I just want to go home :(.

UPDATE:  The recruiter just called me and said she wants to submit me and to try and clear my system in a week.  Friend at work swears by something that works in 48 hours.  Hoping for the best!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2

I understand why companies require a drug test, but in states like Colorado it shouldn't be required for a temp job.

@twinkietwin94 thanks, we're okay where we are. We aren't near any major flooding but the road closures is no joke. Places that have probably never flooded before are out! Plus it's raining more today so that's always fun. :) Our biggest problem is our storm water system is already overwhelmed with water runoff and so it's backing up all over the place. 

I do not even remotely understand why a company would require drug testing.  What you do in your off time is your business.  People can get much more screwed up from too much booze on the weekend, but since alcohol is legal I guess it's not really a drug! *rant over*

• Love 1
21 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Thanks for the good lucks, guys.  It was a really great interview....except....they require a drug test.  She asked if I would pass and I said no, which is so effing frustrating because I'm in Colorado and IT'S LEGAL!.  I'm not going to work high.  What I do in my off time should be my own shit.  She told me her husband went through the same thing and she told me to buy the cleanses on amazon.  It's not a lost cause but she said it can take like three weeks to clear my body and the position is only temp at this point anyway so there's not much time.

I'm pretty bummed but I can look at it two ways:  I can still get submitted and hopefully pass a drug test.  Or, everything happens for a reason.

It's been snowing on and off all day here at work and everyone is in a shitty mood.  I just want to go home :(.

UPDATE:  The recruiter just called me and said she wants to submit me and to try and clear my system in a week.  Friend at work swears by something that works in 48 hours.  Hoping for the best!

I love that y'all had the conversation about it tho! And you got advice! Too funny. I had my first drug test last week since 2003 and was worried because I'd had surgery a week prior. I was like ummmm do I need a doctor's note? 

That said, I lived in Washington state for a while and always wanted to try some edibles, but knew the second I did I'd get popped for a drug test. 

I thought it was out of your system fast, unless they did a hair test. Hope your cleanse works!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I do not even remotely understand why a company would require drug testing.  What you do in your off time is your business.  People can get much more screwed up from too much booze on the weekend, but since alcohol is legal I guess it's not really a drug! *rant over*

The position is with a healthcare company so that was the reasoning.  **insert shrug emoji here**

I would also need a flu shot which I NEVER get.  But I'll get it if I have to. 

Just now, woodscommaelle said:

I would also need a flu shot which I NEVER get.  But I'll get it if I have to. 

OK, I thought I was the ONLY person who never gets one!!!  My reasoning for not getting one?  Little bit of a story...I got divorced way back in 1999 & lived with my sister & her family for a while.  Not long after moving in, one by one the entire house got the flu...the entire house except me, that is.  I never had the flu before and haven't had it since, so I have deemed myself immune :)  

• Love 1

Drug testing is done, even in states where weed is legal, to make sure you aren't high on the job. That's a huge liability if it's still in your system, even if you have a prescription. What you do on your time is your own business, but companies do have the right to hire/fire if you have drugs in your system. 

Not judging anyone for what they consume or why, but that's the argument. So bottom line is, if your company drug tests, don't do drugs if you want to keep your job, even if it's just legal weed on the weekends. 

Also = flu shots. I work for a medical center, and it's a Big Deal if you don't take the flu shot. You can refuse, but even with non clinical people, its' a big note in your file. Some places even factor that in with layoffs, etc.  You're non compliant and putting patients at risk is the reasoning. Not that I agree with that completely either (forcing vaccines), but that's the rule.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Drug testing is done, even in states where weed is legal, to make sure you aren't high on the job. That's a huge liability if it's still in your system, even if you have a prescription. What you do on your time is your own business, but companies do have the right to hire/fire if you have drugs in your system

*restarting rant*  Then these companies should do the same for alcohol to make sure you're not drunk on the job (just as detrimental as being high). 

• Love 3

I got the flu shot last year at the same time I had a cold, a few weeks later everyone started having a stomach flu and I never got it so hopefully it helped.

2 hours ago, ByTor said:

OK, I thought I was the ONLY person who never gets one!!!  My reasoning for not getting one?  Little bit of a story...I got divorced way back in 1999 & lived with my sister & her family for a while.  Not long after moving in, one by one the entire house got the flu...the entire house except me, that is.  I never had the flu before and haven't had it since, so I have deemed myself immune :)  

I got it for the very first time when the Ebola virus hit Dallas...I figured with my luck, I would get a bug and get stuck in quarantine. But I never did before then ?

• Love 1

Never get the flu shot and never will.  I always react to meds like my mother does and she always gets sick and missed several days of work.  She's a nurse and bc her doctor knows she no longer has to get the shot

6 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Never get the flu shot and never will.  I always react to meds like my mother does and she always gets sick and missed several days of work.  She's a nurse and bc her doctor knows she no longer has to get the shot

If she worked at my hospital, she'd have to wear a mask her entire shift during flu season (ours is considered Nov - March), or every single day in oncology and some ICUs. I don't think every single person benefits from the flu shot, but those are the rules here. Some people always do get sick from it. 

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

If she worked at my hospital, she'd have to wear a mask her entire shift during flu season (ours is considered Nov - March), or every single day in oncology and some ICUs. I don't think every single person benefits from the flu shot, but those are the rules here. Some people always do get sick from it. 

She works in a pediatric office but as the only RN she's the triage nurse so she's on the phone the vast majority of the day that might be one reason she's been excused 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I know the hospital where I used to work now requires it (they didn't when I worked there back in the 90s).  I know that now it's a huge deal with a ton of paperwork if you refuse.  You mention having to wear a mask at your hospital, but honestly I can't say for sure what happens at my former hospital...my sister currently works there, but she never refuses the shot & she doesn't know anybody who does (she does IT for lab equipment so she's not directly involved in patient care).  For the record, she yells at me all the time for it....especially since I make sure my dog gets one!  My unscientific reasoning...I know I can't get the flu, but I don't know about my Lilly!

Edited by ByTor

Forgive me for missing this... I've been lurking most off season and for weeks have been wondering what happened to quitecontrarymoni? I've looked but have obvs missed something??

Ugh!  I am so glad my body conditioning class will be back this summer (I hope).  I've been trying to recruit people so it doesn't get cancelled (again) due to low enrollment.  I need that class to help get my fat a** back in shape when I don't do it enough at home.  I am also giving myself permission to be lazy again today.  After all, 7.46 miles of my yearly torture (also known as Bloomsday) is now complete and in the books plus I have the T-shirt to prove it.  Every year I promise myself after the race that I would train for the next one and it seems that I don't do it every year.  At least I've done some work the past three weeks but not enough to really make a dent in my time.  Still, I have 364 days until the next one so I can start training (when I can start moving again).

(edited)
On 5/4/2017 at 4:38 PM, ByTor said:

I know the hospital where I used to work now requires it (they didn't when I worked there back in the 90s).  I know that now it's a huge deal with a ton of paperwork if you refuse.  You mention having to wear a mask at your hospital, but honestly I can't say for sure what happens at my former hospital...my sister currently works there, but she never refuses the shot & she doesn't know anybody who does (she does IT for lab equipment so she's not directly involved in patient care).  For the record, she yells at me all the time for it....especially since I make sure my dog gets one!  My unscientific reasoning...I know I can't get the flu, but I don't know about my Lilly!

I work at a hospital and it's mandatory for EVERY staff member regardless of your position. If you don't get it (unless you have a medical reason then documentation from your MD is required) you're fired.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

If you don't get it (unless you have a medical reason then documentation from your MD is required) you're fired.

Eep!  I guess if I worked there I'd be getting one!

I keep forgetting to give you guys an update on the edible cookie dough. It was pretty good! There was a slight difference in taste from regular cookie dough to that cookie dough but overall same.

4 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I keep forgetting to give you guys an update on the edible cookie dough. It was pretty good! There was a slight difference in taste from regular cookie dough to that cookie dough but overall same.

Was this the NY CookieDo (no idea spelling or actual name)?