Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

Their "melted lipstick" lipgloss is really good. My sister works at Mac though with an amaaaaaazing discount (for all Estée Lauder brands) so I rarely bother trying much other stuff. 

Most foundation has SPF in it, plus an SPF moisturiser beforehand would probably do the trick. I loooove the ABH eyebrow kit. Mac dip brow is good too. Yeah they'd definitely have to use some sort of setting powder as well as spray! Can you imagine how gross they feel after game day??? Urghhh grim 

• Love 1

@JC123 sunscreen in makeup won't protect though - if you used enough where you'd actually get the labeled SPF it would be an inch thick.  In order for sunscreen to be effective, you have to apply 1/4 teaspoon for your face, and 1/4 teaspoon for your neck - if part of your chest is exposed, there is probably a good 1/2 teaspoon you need there too. The reason for that is because sunscreens are measured for UV protection at the rate of a 2 mg/cm² layer (standard: 2.0 mg/cm²). This means that the SPF/PPD rating you see on the bottle is only effective at the same amount as what it was tested for. Many people think that means that if you use half the amount of sunscreen, you will get half the amount of SPF, but it doesn't work that way. The amount by which you are covered actually goes down exponentially. That means that if you use half the amount of sunscreen you should (1 mg/cm²) with an SPF of 60, you are getting the squared amount of SPF protection, which in that case, would equate to about an SPF of 8, and that, only if it is perfectly even in application.  Anything is better than nothing, but the thought of all that Texas sun without a minimum SPF50 PA++++ makes me shudder (warned you I was a skin care nerd!!! ???)

And ABH is my jam....every now and then I'll see pics of myself from the aughts and I wonder where my eyebrows were lol  They have seriously got to use an industrial-strength setting powder (or something!) but then too I wonder - I can't imagine heavy makeup would photograph well outside a studio or without an Instagram filter.  Also the DCC look tends to gravitate toward youth and heavy makeup would be so aging.  Of course it's possible they might not need much beyond concealer and eye makeup if they have spray tans or naturally brown or golden complexions, but whatever they use probably has to wear like Teflon.  

• Love 1

@raindancer I'm very interested in your knowledge bc I have close family members who have survived skin cancer and get checked every six mos head to toe. 

But since the DCC dance in a covered stadium, and even with the roof open nobody is in full sun for four or five hours, shouldn't the spf in their makeup or moisturizer be enough?

@GingerJ I am so sorry to hear that, and I hope your loved ones are doing well now.  The problem is that it really isn't sufficient - and skin care is the same as any other body system - it is the cumulative effect of what you do that will be either the most damaging or the most helpful over time.  The most effective means of preventing skin cancer (and skin aging and overall degradation) is to wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine.  The reason I mention that is that lot of people also believe if it's cloudy and you can't feel the sun then you are essentially protected, but you're not - the UVA rays (the most dangerous) penetrate cloud cover, so unless you're covered...you're not covered.  Also, almost all American-formulated sunscreens are insufficient for UVA protection - SPF ratings only measure for UVB protection (the effect of which are the visible burns you get without SPF).  And on top of that, most formulations (especially in makeup) carry unstable sunscreen ingredients - meaning it's fine in the bottle but will degrade almost immediately upon application to your skin, especially avobenzone (which is, ironically, one of the only FDA-approved UVA sunscreens available here in the States).  And avobenzone actually degrades particularly in the presence of octinoxate, which is a very common ingredient in makeup products.  For avobenzone to be effective it must be stabilized.  Neutrogena has supposedly done this with their Helioplex system, but I honestly think it's crap - and I've never once used their products without its stinging my eyes terribly.  

The best sunscreen products you can get are Asian formulations - an over-the-counter one here that is actually very good for a fairly cosmetically elegant water-resistant variety is the Shiseido Urban Protect SPF42 and SPF50 formulations, although they are a bit more pricey.  If you don't mind a bit of a white cast and/or a heavier feel, Blue Lizard Sensitive is also good, and very inexpensive.  I actually order my sunscreen online from Japan - it's very inexpensive, and extremely effective (although not water-resistant) - Biore Aqua Watery UV Essence SPF50.  You can apply it in the correct amounts (I have a 1/2 teaspoon measure in my bathroom, that's how serious about it I am) and two minutes after your skin feels like there is absolutely nothing on it.  It's brilliant - and the best sunscreen is the one you wear.  Every single day.

Another option for your relatives to investigate are Helioplex supplements - it sounds like it's nonsense but it's actually clinically proven that Helioplex (a fern extract) will provide UVA protection for several hours following consumption.  It might be a really good option for your relatives if they are going to have a time where they will be outside quite a bit, and it would offer extra protection in tandem with a sunscreen.

So sorry for that mercilessly long passage, but if you get me started on sun care it's hard for me to shut up about it, and there is so much misinformation out there and it makes me crazy because it is something that could significantly affect people's lives, as it sounds as though it has for your relatives.  There was recently legislation they tried to push through to speed the testing of new sunscreen ingredients that have already proved to be safe for many years in other countries, but the FDA shut it down, so right now there are a multitude of sunscreens that will likely be in testing for at least another 10 years.

It's ironic too since one of the things that always caught my attention with MTT was some of the focus on the "quick fix" juice diets and other crash techniques.  They would be like the equivalent of a facial (green juices) after totally wrecking your skin with tanning and/or smoking (junky diets), whereas if you just maintain your skin by treating it gently and wearing sunscreen and making that an overall part of your life, you'll have consistently great (or at least more normalized) skin.

So I still totally cringe for the girls when they're out there performing and hope they are secret sunscreen ninjas, along with being badass dancers and entertainers ? 

• Love 4

Hmm interesting. I think we have different stuff in the UK to you guys though.. I never use sun cream on my face on holiday, just my foundation! Will consider it from now on thanks :) 

Edited by JC123
  • Love 1

@RhiRhi omg that is amazing ?  and it's all fun and games until you look like somebody's wallet.  This truck driver found that out the hard way, unfortunately - although he is at least lucky enough to not have developed melanoma.  I wonder if Kelli has had loved ones go through that kind of scare - it will def change your perspective.  Seriously she is such a badass - I think it's awesome if she's taking up melanoma awareness.  And Breelan is a beautiful girl and attitude or not I would hate to see something like this happen to her, or to anyone - tanning is 100% the worst kind of UV damage you can inflict on your skin.  When people talk about getting "a base tan to protect their skin" I want to beat my head (or possibly theirs) repeatedly against a wall.  A tan is the development of the body's defenses to damage - skin cells are literally killing themselves in order to prevent from mutating into cancer.  Looking like Cheetos just isn't worth it.

Sun damage.jpg

• Love 1

I hate when I see people go on holiday and just sit there and fester in the sun! And you see them later in the week and they're burnt to A CRISP. sooo dangerous ? I live in a place with loads of retired people that must just sit in the sun every time it comes out - they literally look like raisins. 

• Love 2

@JC123 I know what you mean...I see it here all the time in Chicago, just loads of crazy beautiful women with super deep tans and who are for sure going to have a serious problem with damage.  My own sister tans - like seriously tans in a tanning bed!  Makes me crazy but I say nothing - she knows what's up but I'm actually very worried about her.  She would be beautiful even if she did look like a wallet but I'm afraid for her health - she could very easily develop melanoma.  I don't know what she's thinking.  And she is a natural redhead - with thin skin and freckles!  She does get color but mainly it just looks very red - and she always used to develop two little bright white contact spots on both cheeks from laying naked in the booths ?  And @QuiteContrary19 for sure it seems really anachronistic but people do it all the time it seems like.  For that matter, I see people smoking all the time here too - even my boyfriend was looking around saying seriously who does that??  LOL  Of course my dad smokes like a chimney.  Three packs of Marlboro Reds a day.  The air in his house is blue.  I guess everyone has their own crazy bad habit of sorts....mine is sugar.  It's awful for skin and health in general, and I'm fairly certain if I cut it out I could finally lose those last 15 lbs, but I crave it so hard ?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BritFan said:

Oh my gosh your description!! ?

Reminds me of my father's second wife.  I am sure my mouth was hanging open when we met her as she was skinny with huge deep wrinkles on her face.  She owned a house on the lake and am sure she never let sunscreen touch her face.  Yikes!!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, JC123 said:

OMG anyone see that make gymnast break his leg clean in two at the olympics???! Stomach churning! Poor poor guy! 

I nearly passed out when I saw it.. Then the put him on a stretcher, take him to the ambulance AND DROP THE STRETCHER!! 

Can you image being the gymnast who has to vault next? I'd be so nervous.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, BritFan said:

I nearly passed out when I saw it.. Then the put him on a stretcher, take him to the ambulance AND DROP THE STRETCHER!! 

Can you image being the gymnast who has to vault next? I'd be so nervous.

I was at work (I work in a hospital) when that happened and was in a room with a patient.  He turned to me and said "you can give him my pain medication".  I felt SO bad for that gymnast!!!!

• Love 2

The first time I saw the video was on Facebook, I just assumed it wasn't real. Then j nearly threw up/cried when I realised it was. 

He was probably in complete shock. When ive broken bones (multiple times lol im SO accident prone) with the exception of fingers/toes I've only felt like tickling/tingling, no immediate pain. That comes later ? I can only hope that he got some badass painkiller before that kicked in.

• Love 2

@QuiteContrary19 OMG, I am so jealous!!  It sounds like you get to see some really cool things with your patients....obviously I love derm but my work is in clinical/translational research, so I only get to see products/techniques in research phases and with study subjects, and everything else I know is just through reading up and talking to clinicians.  Do you have any particular skincare brands or other types of products you like?  I have a while to go yet before menopause but I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting skin care.  Right now I'm on the hunt for an effective Vitamin C product that doesn't smell like pennies ?  I'm hoping to go into actual clinical work myself once I'm done with school but it seems like forever.  I'm also trying to wean myself away from sugar, but I have a terrible chocolate cake habit lol

I saw what had happened to that poor man but I have been avoiding the actual coverage with everything I have.  I can't stand the thought of someone being hurt like that and the idea of actually seeing it happen on tape is absolutely horrifying.  I hope so much he is as well as he can be, and not in pain ?  I did hear that he is already talking about the 2020 games and I hope he gets to have that realized.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

Oh girl, I could SEE the blue cloud of air. Ugh. I loathe cig smoke. But I'm an ex-smoker. I've heard there's no anti-smoker like an ex smoker.

Agreed....sugar is bad for sure but as far as visible immediate effects in complexion, its tanning, smokes, genetics and hormones. I can immediately tell a client who tans or smokes. Booze and sugar mostly show up as a long term dehydration issue with hyperpigmentation and encrustation (uneven skin tone and blackheads/dry patches).

Hormones are a complete bitch and are hard to control. I can tell if someone is going through menopause by how their eyes and lips look under a dermascope. Swelling and shriveling. But bioidentical hormones, especially topical estrogen, can really work wonders for this, and for a reasonable cost, with no prescription. You have to get the right brand and use them properly, but they work.

But if you're under 35 or so, you won't see the wrinkles/crepe just yet, you can still get away with murder. Washing your face with hand soap, not washing at all, etc.... Unless you're like the poor TCC, who, as chipmunk cheek Tina Kalina said so kindly "Looks like a grandma". Enter genetics....

One thing that grosses me out that I want to avoid is older ladies with crepe-y thighs. They may be toned and a thin or normal build, but they have long loose crepe all the way down their thighs.

For some reason, I feel like it's from not moisturizing but I'm sure some of it is age and sun damage. I'm part Greek so I tan without sunscreen and started using it way too late in the game. I started using it for aging/damage control, so even now I'm guilty of using it only on my face and not often enough.

Just today on the beach I saw those crepe-y thighs and got so mad at myself! I'm so good at putting it on everyone else put me!

4 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

That cycling accident though and ugh my heart broke for Mara Abbott

Oh man, me too. I gasped when the Dutch girl crashed. She crumpled up like a ragdoll and wasn't moving.

Mara Abbott was like 50m from gold. That loss looked so overwhelmingly devastating.

One of the British gymnasts landed really hard on the top of her head during floor exercise and looked like she was seeing stars but came back and did two vaults. I really hope she hasn't messed herself up.

• Love 3

Oh that bicycle accident was horrifying. I was watching that live and I think I screamed. I hope she's ok, I understand she was in intensive care. Praying for a full recovery.

I didn't see the gymnast with the broken leg (thank goodness I missed that live video, praying for his recovery too) but I did see the British gymnast and I think they should NOT have let her keep going. I was really worried she wouldn't stop the floor routine she was doing. Hope she hasn't hurt herself further with her decision to continue. And I hope and pray she is okay now that the adrenalin has worn off

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1

Ellie (British gymnast) is fine now guys :) she just crunched her neck. The reason she stepped off the mat is because the shock made her dizzy and knew that by continuing the routine she had the potential to hurt herself more.. She's probably very sore today but thankfully ok! 

The brits have their own medical team out there with them. They are the best in the country and given she's under 18 they would have had to consent to her continuing the competition so they probably thought she was ok. Vaults her fave peice of apparatus, there was no way she was missing that! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Those other bikers were like vultures descending upon Mara like they knew she had no more steam

Surprisingly I read she tweeted not long after the accident.  She has a concussion and 3 small fractures in lumbar vertebrae.  She is so fortunate.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2016 at 0:00 AM, raindancer said:

This is way OT but I was just catching up on some of the forums and @kgirl38 I saw you mentioned being a Yooper - I lived in the UP off and on for 15 years (HS in SSM, undergrad at NMU), so if you're from there I'm sure I probably know you through the UP cousin-net lol  

HAHAHA!  That's awesome.  I'm a Laker (LSSU), I bleed blue and yellow and who cares about football when there is HOCKEY!!!  And now I'm in Esky.  Sure would love to move up to Copper, NOT sure if I could handle the winters.  And of course I miss the Soo.  It will always have a piece of my heart.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, kgirl38 said:

HAHAHA!  That's awesome.  I'm a Laker (LSSU), I bleed blue and yellow and who cares about football when there is HOCKEY!!!  And now I'm in Esky.  Sure would love to move up to Copper, NOT sure if I could handle the winters.  And of course I miss the Soo.  It will always have a piece of my heart.

too funny!!  Not sure when you were in the Sault but I actually transferred a couple classes from LSSU to NMU - if you were into any of the humanities classes I hope you got to take Professor Moody - he was hilarious and always wore his academic robes on the first day.  It was the first time I had ever seen doctoral robes and I couldn't get over how much the hats look like mushrooms.  He always had a piece of my heart because he loved LOTR, and was just a fussy, lovable old man in general.  And we used to cheer for the Lakers for sure - between that and snowmobiling that's how you rock it up there ?  My grandfather was a retired Coastie captain and that's how we ended up there my high school years.  I hated being in school there but I've come to really love visiting.  Have always loved Marquette though - walking the shore was the absolute best.  I've heard Copper Harbor is no joke for winter (not that anything in the UP really is!), but if you're looking for a beautiful place on the Superior coast anything between Munising and Marquette is gorgeous, and the Brimley area has some gorgeous beaches.  My heart always belongs in Traverse though, it's where I'm originally from and I absolutely love it.  Kind of makes my day to hear from another Michigan girl, I'm in Chicago now and mostly people think everything is by Detroit ?

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, raindancer said:

too funny!!  Not sure when you were in the Sault but I actually transferred a couple classes from LSSU to NMU - if you were into any of the humanities classes I hope you got to take Professor Moody - he was hilarious and always wore his academic robes on the first day.  It was the first time I had ever seen doctoral robes and I couldn't get over how much the hats look like mushrooms.  He always had a piece of my heart because he loved LOTR, and was just a fussy, lovable old man in general.  And we used to cheer for the Lakers for sure - between that and snowmobiling that's how you rock it up there ?  My grandfather was a retired Coastie captain and that's how we ended up there my high school years.  I hated being in school there but I've come to really love visiting.  Have always loved Marquette though - walking the shore was the absolute best.  I've heard Copper Harbor is no joke for winter (not that anything in the UP really is!), but if you're looking for a beautiful place on the Superior coast anything between Munising and Marquette is gorgeous, and the Brimley area has some gorgeous beaches.  My heart always belongs in Traverse though, it's where I'm originally from and I absolutely love it.  Kind of makes my day to hear from another Michigan girl, I'm in Chicago now and mostly people think everything is by Detroit ?

Too funny, I'm from Chicago and now live in MI (in the middle of the mitten).  Small world! :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, raindancer said:

OMG!!  I'm sorry mods I know this is off topic and I will stop.  I was in the Sault for undergrad 2001-2003, my undergrad is in education - math and history....so OF COURSE I had Moody.  He scared the crap out of me at first, but deep down he is such a sweet man.  He was actually my advisor as well.  It's so funny you mentioned his robes, but his photo on the LSSU directory, he is in his robes with the mushroom hat.  Snowmobiling, hockey, and you can't forget about the Back Door.  All there was to do was drink, play hockey, and snowmobile lol.  I moved to Ohio and no one knew where the Sault Ste Marie is, no one had heard of LSSU, and you are right everyone thinks you are by Detroit lol!!  It totally makes my day to find a fellow Yooper (ex-Yooper now)!!  Say ya to da UP, eh? 

• Love 2

OMG @kgirl38 I almost mentioned the Back Door in my response!!!  (For anyone not from the area, The Back Door was one of the local bars in the Sault - drinking is the only sport that might conceivably eclipse hockey LOL).  It did end up getting shut down - made me sad, it was such a crazy hangout.  I actually was in the Sault between 2002 and 2004 - I had moved back for a couple years post undergrad and worked at The Evening News.  And it's so awesome you're into teaching!  My mother is still actually a 5th grade teacher up in Soo Township, and loves it there ?  The UP is great, and I actually really miss Lake Superior.  And @cherryblossom I hope you got to visit your brother in the UP when he was there - it's a long trip to make but worth it IMO.  @SanLynn I drove through GR all the time between Chi and TC...and @SopranoKris if by middle of the mitten you're referring to Mt. Pleasant, I am going to feel like you are all my neighbors - I went to Pullen there for four years in elementary school ?  @JC123 and @BritFan the U.P. is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Yoopers are U.P. natives) - it's pretty remote, there aren't any flights up there and it's a 7 or 8 hour car ride to get there from Chicago, which is one of the nearest major cities - so chances are that KGirl38 and I actually know each other, and for sure we've met some of the same people ?  Also I was thinking you are both from Britain?  If so, I'm jealous!  I have only ever been to Liverpool in passing, but I did get to spend four days on the Isle of Man - it was one of the most incredibly beautiful places I have ever seen and I really loved it there.  Spent a lot of time walking up by the waterfalls, and exploring the shore ?  Have you ever been to the David Austin gardens, or Kew Gardens?  I've always wanted to see them - was also trying to plan a trip to see the bluebell woods this last spring but my plans unfortunately fell through.

• Love 2

Oh the Isle of Man is glorious! I haven't been to Kew Gardens in yearrrrrrs though. Which bluebell woods were you thinking of going to? There's one near-ish me! (Blean, Canterbury). For a small country there's so much to do haha! 

Where I live there's sea on 3 sides so pretty much everyone knows everyone too. Britfan you may have heard of it, Thanet? Little collection of towns in the corner of the country. Once you're in you can't get out ? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, raindancer said:

@SopranoKris if by middle of the mitten you're referring to Mt. Pleasant, I am going to feel like you are all my neighbors - I went to Pullen there for four years in elementary school ? 

Mt. Pleasant is about 40 minutes away. I was actually going to go to CMU if I didn't get accepted in to MSU for my grad school program. :)

• Love 1

@JC123 that is so wonderful!!  And I wasn't sure where I should go - that was part of my problem in finding a place, I couldn't decide ?  I had considered the Isle of Skye, and Cumbria - I heard it was so lovely up there, but I was also concerned about how to get around - I figured I'd just rent a car and drive but I'm not used to driving in the mountains (or on the left-hand side of the road - however, most people in Michigan drive in the passing lane anyway so maybe I'd have done better than I thought! ?).  I'll have to check out Canterbury though...there are so many places there I would love to see, and I also have someone I would very much like to see in Milton Keynes if I could get there.  And @SopranoKris that's awesome - one of my sisters is in vet school there right now, and another actually works there ?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, raindancer said:

OMG @kgirl38 I almost mentioned the Back Door in my response!!!  (For anyone not from the area, The Back Door was one of the local bars in the Sault - drinking is the only sport that might conceivably eclipse hockey LOL).  It did end up getting shut down - made me sad, it was such a crazy hangout.  I actually was in the Sault between 2002 and 2004 - I had moved back for a couple years post undergrad and worked at The Evening News.  And it's so awesome you're into teaching!  My mother is still actually a 5th grade teacher up in Soo Township, and loves it there ?  The UP is great, and I actually really miss Lake Superior.  And @cherryblossom I hope you got to visit your brother in the UP when he was there - it's a long trip to make but worth it IMO.  @SanLynn I drove through GR all the time between Chi and TC...and @SopranoKris if by middle of the mitten you're referring to Mt. Pleasant, I am going to feel like you are all my neighbors - I went to Pullen there for four years in elementary school ?  @JC123 and @BritFan the U.P. is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Yoopers are U.P. natives) - it's pretty remote, there aren't any flights up there and it's a 7 or 8 hour car ride to get there from Chicago, which is one of the nearest major cities - so chances are that KGirl38 and I actually know each other, and for sure we've met some of the same people ?  Also I was thinking you are both from Britain?  If so, I'm jealous!  I have only ever been to Liverpool in passing, but I did get to spend four days on the Isle of Man - it was one of the most incredibly beautiful places I have ever seen and I really loved it there.  Spent a lot of time walking up by the waterfalls, and exploring the shore ?  Have you ever been to the David Austin gardens, or Kew Gardens?  I've always wanted to see them - was also trying to plan a trip to see the bluebell woods this last spring but my plans unfortunately fell through.

Ok, now I'm thinking we actually know each other, or know the same people.  I was Resident Assistant that lived in Chippewa (two of my residents were HS grads of the Soo)  if that helps at all.  I can't believe the Back Door got shut down.  On Wednesday night, I spent my time at the frat house playing beer pong, and then every Friday night was cab to the Back Door.  CABS ARE HERE!  (for you jersey shore fans, my secret addiction).  I also coached swimming while going to school for the Soo Devils.  I actually don't teach anymore, I realized in two short years it wasn't for me, went on to the vet school at Ohio State (Go Bucks!) I'm sure we either know each other or know some of the same people.  What a crazy small world!!

• Love 1

I have and they're delicious. You have to work really hard to make a rice Krispy treat I won't eat tho. In college, our cafeteria had classic and a specialty version every day...my favorite was Wednesday when it was peanut butter with chocolate frosting. The best! My office cafeteria now makes them and I have to limit myself to one per week. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, kalibean said:

I have and they're delicious. You have to work really hard to make a rice Krispy treat I won't eat tho. In college, our cafeteria had classic and a specialty version every day...my favorite was Wednesday when it was peanut butter with chocolate frosting. The best! My office cafeteria now makes them and I have to limit myself to one per week. 

they are so freakin delicious

I'm now eating kale chips in a futile attempt to balance out the 7 krispy treats I had today lol

• Love 4

Can I just say I love that Michigan is called The Mitten State!

5 hours ago, JC123 said:

Oh the Isle of Man is glorious! I haven't been to Kew Gardens in yearrrrrrs though. Which bluebell woods were you thinking of going to? There's one near-ish me! (Blean, Canterbury). For a small country there's so much to do haha! 

Where I live there's sea on 3 sides so pretty much everyone knows everyone too. Britfan you may have heard of it, Thanet? Little collection of towns in the corner of the country. Once you're in you can't get out ? 

You're so lucky living near the sea *sigh* I am very land locked!

I'm a North London girl newly moved to the country! I'm in Bucks now.

raindancer I've been to Kew many times ? I like to go in different seasons. It is inspiration to me as I am such a rubbish gardener!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIWvbQkh6TK/?taken-by=soundslikemelon !!

• Love 2

I'm really lucky to live so near the sea! I just love it. soooooo many jellyfish this year though for some reason. But I do love London too cos it's nice to go out somewhere without seeing someone that you know haha!

We have Rice Krispie bars here but I'm thinking they're not as good as yours hahaha  

5 hours ago, raindancer said:

@JC123 that is so wonderful!!  And I wasn't sure where I should go - that was part of my problem in finding a place, I couldn't decide ?  I had considered the Isle of Skye, and Cumbria - I heard it was so lovely up there, but I was also concerned about how to get around - I figured I'd just rent a car and drive but I'm not used to driving in the mountains (or on the left-hand side of the road - however, most people in Michigan drive in the passing lane anyway so maybe I'd have done better than I thought! ?).  I'll have to check out Canterbury though...there are so many places there I would love to see, and I also have someone I would very much like to see in Milton Keynes if I could get there. 

Oh don't worry about not being able to drive here! Once you've mastered roundabouts and road rage you're all set hahaha!! 

Canterbury is lovely. It's a small city, very very old! Lots of the original buildings are still here too- if you ever make it over you'll see what I mean, wonky houses with tiny doors and a river going right through the middle of the city which you can take punting trips on! Then you get further out and it gets more woodsy & countrysidey. It's good because it feels bustling and lively like a city but it's not overwhelming like London can be. 

I need to explore more of America!! I've only done Florida (Disney) and New York. Going to Texas next June (yeehaw) and want to visit some other places after on the same trip. Haven't planned where yet though. Excited!!! 

• Love 1

Oh, I'm an Anglophile!! I have had the pleasure of going to London in 2014 and in March of this year!My son  and his wife have an apartment -timeshare there (  Got to spend 2 days in Hampton Court.- Tudor fan--gone to Westminster twice, and twice the Tower.  (My son thinks I'm getting old and wants to show me the world, but England is what I love.)  Got to go to Glastonbury and view that lovely Abbey!  I would love to live around there. I know it's a place of festivals, and Chalice well, the Tor( had to sit down once because of the climb)etc, but I am pretty heartbroken still over the story of the last abbot of Glastonbury, and a bit of my research is now on the Dissolution.

Edited by Dopeydwarf
  • Love 1

T-4 days and counting until I change cable companies and will actually be able to watch MTT as it airs and not have to buy it on iTunes! *can y'all tell I'm excited*

The cable company I'm dumping decided that CMT belonged in a "sports package" that cost extra.  What I'll be getting is TV AND Internet for about $20 cheaper than I was getting them separately

• Love 3
20 hours ago, BritFan said:

I've been to Kew many times ? I like to go in different seasons. It is inspiration to me as I am such a rubbish gardener!

Oh my goodness that sounds amazing!!  I read about them for the first time in an Agatha Christie book actually, and then I looked them up and was just so enchanted.  I love gardens and wild places and even though we have garden parks in Chicago it really isn't just anywhere close to being the same as living in the country, or near the woods.  And that is a very respectable looking vegetable!!! ?  I have never gardened myself, although I sadly found out the hard way that growing even small roses indoors simply isn't possible...I absolutely love English roses.  English roses are the best roses IMO.  I especially love the David Austin varieties - they are so beautiful and smell amazing.  (Also, the Mitten for sure rocks ?)

20 hours ago, JC123 said:

Oh don't worry about not being able to drive here! Once you've mastered roundabouts and road rage you're all set hahaha!! 

Roundabouts?  You mean the Circles of Death?  I have seen those and they are terrifying.  The British are badass.  I actually did attempt one once when I was driving from Dublin to Belfast - I got rear-ended.  The person who rear-ended me was very kind though - I think he was concerned for my welfare (or at least concerned I was going to faint), I was white as a sheet!  (Even more so than I normally am lol).

20 hours ago, JC123 said:

I need to explore more of America!! I've only done Florida (Disney) and New York. Going to Texas next June (yeehaw) and want to visit some other places after on the same trip. Haven't planned where yet though. Excited!!! 

Canterbury sounds incredible - I would love to see it someday.  Visiting here though it all depends on what you might love, there are so incredibly many places to touch on.  If you'll be in Texas I imagine you'd probably have to fly anywhere else you want to go, it is just absolutely huge.  Someplace that is (relatively) close that might be really fun is New Orleans - I have never been there but I have always wanted to go, and I have had many friends tell me that they have loved it more than any other place they have lived or visited.  Cajun cooking is awesome, and there is Mardi Gras, along with a really rich literary and artistic scene.  You could also head west and visit the Grand Canyon, or fly out to Savannah Georgia, or Charleston South Carolina.  They are incredibly beautiful cities, and Savannah particularly is famous for its gardens and avenues lined with enormous oak trees.  Wherever you go I hope you love it, there is so much to explore here.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Dopeydwarf said:

I am pretty heartbroken still over the story of the last abbot of Glastonbury

Oh poor man, that is so horrible ?  British history is absolutely fascinating, but it really is so hard to read sometimes (any history is, really) with as much violence and heartbreak as there is to the stories.  Have you ever read any of the Jean Plaidy novels?  I used to read her romances (under Victoria Holt), but the historic fiction always captured my imagination, and particularly Elizabethan stories.

Yeah our history is pretty gruesome. Interesting if you have the stomach for it though! 

Ohhhh Id love to go to the Grand Canyon! And New Orleans sounds amazing too. I'm torn between exploring and staying really touristy. I should start planning though!! 

CIRCLES OF DEATH ?????

That's terrible about having a crash!!! I hope you weren't hurt too badly?! 

• Love 1

not all our history is gruesome. Some of it is funny. Like there is a little village near Nottingham called Gotham (pronounced go-them). Well some King or other was doing a grand tour of the country and the route was going to pass through Gotham so the inhabitants had to pay more tax to improve the road. They didn't want to pay more taxes so pretended they were all crazy so the route was changed to by-pass Gotham. And that folks is why Batman lives in Gotham city full of crazy people. 

• Love 4