Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: All In

Topher's mother arrives in the ER with mysterious symptoms and a deteriorating condition. Meanwhile, a gravely injured foster mother is treated as Drew connects with the frightened young foster daughter, and an important  piece of equipment fails.

So glad Lance Henrickson's character is back and with Toph's mom! 

FOP is such an awful condition. Liked how Jordan interacted with the patient.

Shannon and Paul. Just no. Although I did like her better tonight. Drew was awesome as usual.

Anyone thinking the Drew and Rick might foster/adopt the CF foster girl?  I am calling that now. Also I liked that while overworked the Social worker did care and worked hard, that she was portrayed as many SW on tv are

• Love 1

Had a feeling they would throw snot-nosed intern and Paul together.  Just no.  

And I guess Kenny is just the Hospital Ho now?

Jordan has nice bedside manner but I think she "shares" too much of her stories with her patients.  I know she's trying to connect with them but she needs to keep it more professional.

I don't know why, but I don't like Topher's wife.  I do like his mom though.

This show is limping along; the only reason I'm watching now is for Drew and Topher.

• Love 1

I surprised myself by LOL when TC told Topher his mom was "doing it" with Lance. I don't even like TC, but the look on his face and Topher's reaction cracked me up. First time I actually liked this show. (I know ... why am I watching then.) All I could think at the end when those two got in the back seat of the car to "do it" was, yikes, it's San Antonio, it was 120 degrees last week, and they're cranking it up in the back seat of a car with all windows up ... AND in the hospital parking lot? Next week, will both be admitted to ER with heat stroke? Tune in and see!

• Love 2

I'm so sick of medical staff on every medical show, pawing each other in the hospital, or on the hospital grounds.  One would think that they were a bunch of panting dogs who can't control or contain themselves until they get home or somewhere else besides on the job.  Such a tired trope.

• Love 2

Ugh, this show... I have such a love/hate relationship with it!

I agree about Drew and his husband fostering (adopting) the CF girl. 

The machine wasn't working to help the FOP guy, first thought...unplug it and plug it back in.  I find it very hard to believe that a drug SALES rep would know how to fix the machine (unless she just unplugged it, etc). Even if it's the same company,  it's 2 completely different departments. I would have rather they called AnnaLynn McCord to have her get a hold of a tech guy. From personal experience, I have had that happen.

Intern and Paul...NO!

Topher was funny this ep. When he found out his mom was getting busy with heart attack guy he pulled the privacy curtain ALL the way open when he left them alone in the room.  Ha! Then when TC was ribbing him out in the parking lot and Topher told him to leave him alone because he didn't have any change. 

• Love 1

Maybe I'm just a pessimist by nature, but I have a hard time imagining a gay couple being able to adopt, even a child who's got to be difficult to place, in Texas.

(edited)

You could be right about Texas but here in San Diego, there is no problem. The foster system actually courts the LGBT community. I have 2 male neighbors that adopted 2 boys over 10 years ago. 

Edited by Aliconehead

The machine wasn't working to help the FOP guy, first thought...unplug it and plug it back in.  I find it very hard to believe that a drug SALES rep would know how to fix the machine (unless she just unplugged it, etc). Even if it's the same company,  it's 2 completely different departments

When he kept pushing the button, I wondered why he didn't at least unplug and plug it back in.  Everybody knows that you always try that before you call anybody (says the person who went through every possible connection you can make with cables, DVR, remote and TV recently).  She didn't fix it, though.  I think she had a guy with her who had some sort of tool kit (I'm guessing she woke him up to come out to the hospital, because I seem to recall she said that she owed him for doing this).  

I kept trying to remember where I had seen the girl who played the foster kid before.  She played Mika on 'The Walking Dead'.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I kept trying to remember where I had seen the girl who played the foster kid before.  She played Mika on 'The Walking Dead'.

I knew I had seen her somewhere before! 

Yes to Drew wanting to adopt the foster girl. This is the second episode where Drew had an attachment to a kid, the other was just last week, Jennifer Beale's daughter. I guess I don't care, unless the foster daughter keeps coming to the hospital in the middle of the night to visit "dad" like every other family member does on this show. Doesn't anyone not on a night shift sleep? How about Lance getting his heart surgery and coming out of anesthesia all within less than a full work shift? Miracle!

• Love 1

I think Rick might have an opinion on throwing a kid (a sick kid at that) into their still-new marriage.  I don't know, the way TV tries to domesticate every gay couple kind of bothers me, because not every couple of any configuration is crazy to have children.

22 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

You could be right about Texas but here in San Diego, there is no problem. The foster system actually courts the LGBT community. I have 2 male neighbors that adopted 2 boys over 10 years ago. 

The actor Matt Dallas from Kyle XY and his husband adopted their son in Arizona, so I shouldn't probably paint the entire Southwest with one brush, but still, Texas.

As to the episode proper, am I crazy, or did Scott and Jordan actually deal with each other like grown ups?  More of that, please.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, starri said:

I don't know, the way TV tries to domesticate every gay couple kind of bothers me, because not every couple of any configuration is crazy to have children.

I know.  It seems that every gay couple on TV is trying to have children.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2016 at 3:37 PM, Ohwell said:

I'm so sick of medical staff on every medical show, pawing each other in the hospital, or on the hospital grounds.  One would think that they were a bunch of panting dogs who can't control or contain themselves until they get home or somewhere else besides on the job.  Such a tired trope.

I agree.  If you're in a high stress job, can't you focus on work without getting so horny you have to screw a co-worker?  You don't see it as much with shows about other professions.  

• Love 1

Clive and Topher's mom are actually going to become a thing now, huh? Goofy, but whatever.  Even though T.C. was doing the typical juvenile jokes about it, I do like whenever he and Topher banter like that, and act like the silly friends that they are.

So, I see this was the episode that had a case that made Too Cool for School Shannon finally thaw by Taking!It!Personally!  And then jump Paul, because.... he pretending the try and resurrect an already dead body to give the girl closure?  I know I was suppose to find that particular scene powerful, but it was shot in such a goofy way.  I was kind of with Scott on that entire idea.  But, anyway, yeah, I'm guessing Paul and Shannon hooked-up.  Paul's probably going to continue to let her belittle him though, because he's that big of a pushover, and treating someone like shit is considered a pathway towards romance, I guess.

Kenny's already got another love interest?  Besides the nurse he is currently already sleeping with?  At the rate he's going, I wonder when he'll actually end up with Jordan.

I got the sense they are so going to have Drew end up trying to adopt Brianna.  Considering all the reactions he got after he and Rick openly became an item, I hope he's more prepared this time.

Scott and Jordan didn't actually bug me, even though both were acting dumb in their own ways.

• Love 1
On 2016-07-14 at 7:31 AM, Aliconehead said:

Anyone thinking the Drew and Rick might foster/adopt the CF foster girl?  I am calling that now. Also I liked that while overworked the Social worker did care and worked hard, that she was portrayed as many SW on tv are.

I also figured that's they were headed as soon as Drew said he would check in on her every day she was in the hospital.

I retired from a psych hospital, when I left, they were in the process of becoming more of a teaching hospital again, don't think it's happened as the budget has taken a big, big hit which is why I was forced to retire early. But, one of the long time therapists said she hoped it would happen, she remembered the old days and everything was so lively and exciting with all the youth and enthusiasm but the hormones were definitely raging and lots and lots of hook-ups.

I have a few questions about some things happening on this show, but I'm going to finish reading the entire season and then find episode appropriate threads to ask.

I've been binging this season, and I just finished this episode.  I think they started telegraphing that Drew is going to try and at least foster the girl when he was on the MediVac with the child's foster mother.  "I'll do everything I can."  Drew's a doctor, and the child happens to have a chronic medical condition?  That's not subtle.

I know.  It seems that every gay couple on TV is trying to have children.

I'm not gay, but another thing I find interesting is the view that every gay or lesbian couple has found his/her soulmate.  I know that we don't see Rick a lot because the actor has other commitments, but I wish the show would recast with another actor or let Drew find someone else.  It's always seemed that Drew is in half a marriage, and I agree that Rick has not seemed like the type to want kids, at least not now.  Drew has always seemed to like kids, so I buy that he would give this some serious thought.  Straight couples make poor choices about their significant others.  Why is it so hard to believe that Drew and Rick just aren't meant to be?  Is Rick the only gay man in San Antonio?

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I know that we don't see Rick a lot because the actor has other commitments, but I wish the show would recast with another actor or let Drew find someone else. 

We would never see Drew's partner unless he was someone that works at the hospital. That's just the way this show goes. We barely see Topher's wife, either. I don't think there are huge incompatibilities with either couple, and it's nice that not everyone has a significant other that they work with.

56 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

We would never see Drew's partner unless he was someone that works at the hospital. That's just the way this show goes. We barely see Topher's wife, either. I don't think there are huge incompatibilities with either couple, and it's nice that not everyone has a significant other that they work with.

There's a BIG difference between Janet and Rick.  Janet isn't central to the type of story that Rick is in relation to Drew.  This season started out with Drew in Afghanistan, and even for TV, certain cultural issues were addressed.  The show didn't forget that it was in Afghanistan at the time.

Whatever one's personal political beliefs are, the reality in 2016 is that Texas is an extremely conservative state.  I work in education and Texas even has its own unique set of standards that teachers are required to cover in an academic year.  Drew is a gay man, married to his husband, living and working in Texas, who wants to adopt a child.  That is different than Janet dropping by the ER with Mama Topher.  If the show is going to tell THIS particular story about Drew. then I think it requires more than seeing Rick for 3 minutes every couple of episodes.  I know more about TC's relationship with Pharma Chick than I do about how Rick feels about adopting a child,  An actual discussion between Drew and Rick would have been nice to see.  I've seen the episode after this where Rick shows up for Bri's surgery, but like other times where we've seen Rick, it's a total fly-by.  I know this is a summer show, but Drew would not be doing this in a vacuum.  Rick would be involved, and I don't like that I seem to know more about Pharma Chick and Annie than I do about Drew's husband.

I wish the show would give the actor a nice, hearty handshake, congratulate him for being so busy, and then re-cast the role so Rick has some bearing (and appearance) on the canvas that lasts longer than 3 minutes every once and awhile.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

Oh, I agree that we should see more Rick, but honestly I think that given what we've seen from this show, it has just as much to do with the writing as MacFarlane's availability. We see these guys at work, and that's about it. 

And I know Topher/ Janet is a whole different thing, but didn't they do a whole subplot about their rocky marriage last year that got wrapped up with one appearance by Janet? I'm telling you, the writers are just lazy/ think we care more about the hospital drama than anything else. (And yet they keep introducing these stories that they could do so much more with... sigh.)

• Love 1