Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Get Busy Livin' / S03.E06: Hot In the City

A college co-ed falls from a balcony and once she is in the ER, TC and Paul find that her situation is even more complex. Jordan bonds with a terminal patient who teaches her some important lessons about living. TC's errant sister-in-law Annie returns and hopes to make amends. Meanwhile, Jessica - a pharmaceutical rep with cutting-edge equipment that Scott is so close to getting for the hospital - if her tension with TC doesn't kill the deal.

Shannon and Jordan venture out for some fun at a local wrestling event only to find themselves treating people onsite when a fight breaks out amongst the audience. Back at the hospital, Sam attends to a marathon runner who has collapsed from the heat and things start to heat up even more when the air conditioning breaks. Meanwhile, tensions between TC, Jordan, Sam, and Annie start to boil.

Yep. Fireman Sam (Michael Cassidy) is the one who offered to make Jordan a truffled omelet for breakfast, because nothing says "I will make you forget your obsessive tragedy-magnet boyfriend" like eggs that smell like feet.

• Love 1

So, Jessica the Horny Drug Rep is basically the exact same character as one who appeared on Chicago Med this season.  I spent most of the episode(s) wondering if it was also the same actress, because you could put them side by side and I couldn't tell them apart.

I think the show has broken me.  I'm actually starting to like Jordan, so of course they're going to throw her back into her doomed love affair with TC.  The patient in the first half was as paint by numbers as could be, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't effective.  

(edited)

The snot-nosed intern is ruining it for me.  I know they're trying to "redeem" her by showing another, kinder side of her personality, but it ain't working.  I just know they're heading for her and Paul to hook up.

I can't stand TC's sis-in-law Annie either.  She's got this nervous tic about her that's annoying.  Scott should be wary of someone who just pops up on his job.  She says she's bringing patients to the hospital but I think she's lying. I think she's a stalker.

Oh, and the pharm rep chick was attractive but she was trying waaaay too hard to be "sexy."  TC is sick of her already. 

Edited by Ohwell
TC, not TJ
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I can't stand TC's sis-in-law Annie either.  She's got this nervous tic about her that's annoying.  Scott should be wary of someone who just pops up on his job.  She says she's bringing patients to the hospital but I think she's lying. I think she's a stalker.

She is super creepy and I fully expect her to commit murder at some point.

I was really bored during this.  Maybe it's me, but I couldn't grab onto anything to hold my interest. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The snot-nosed intern is ruining it for me.

I guess I'm in the minority here, and even I admit she can be OTT sometimes, but I kind of like her. She's cute and amusing and the way the actress delivers her lines is interesting.

I cracked up to Paul's reaction after she bit his Popsicle. I hope those two remain frenemies or become friends instead of a romance, though.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I cracked up to Paul's reaction after she bit his Popsicle.

See, I didn't find that amusing at all.  I don't like people messing with my food, especially people I'm not close to.

• Love 2

I've only watched the first part so far since I can only tolerate this show for an hour. 

Jordan's storyline was just like Chicago Med so that was very lame. It must have been a slow night in the ER since the cancer woman was her only patient and Jordan had plenty of time to kick it in her room talking to her about her problems. Even after she's "gone", Jordan is still sitting next to her bed like the patient was her BFF or something. 

Not enough Paul or Topher this episode.

The Drew / Kenny storyline was pretty stupid. Who was the karate kid?  Did Kenny ever get his qym equipment?

Intern still gets on my nerve. She can leave at any time.  

TC losing his sh!t on the pharmaceutical rep was so stupid!  At this point,  doesn't almost every drug list suicide as a possible side effect?? Is he going to bitch out every rep/company that makes drugs when a "side effect" comes into the ER? And speaking of...

The pharmaceutical rep...1st:  yes, a lot of them look like Ralph Lauren catalog models so AnnaLynn McCord fit the bill.  2nd: since when does a sales rep meet with night shift doctors? Wouldn't she met with day shift, get them on board and go from there? And if she did have to meet with all the doctors on all the shifts,  why wouldn't she go towards the end of the night shift so she could meet with day shift before they starting seeing patients?  3rd: No drug company is going to allow their sales reps to go out on calls in painted on leather pants. They always dress totally professional.  4th:  In the real world, reps work out of their cars so where does she keep all of her files/info and drug samples if she rides a motorcycle? 

This show drives me mad!!  

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

3rd: No drug company is going to allow their sales reps to go out on calls in painted on leather pants. They always dress totally professional.

I laughed when I saw her because I know sales reps have to dress professionally.  I don't care what you're selling, you have to make a good impression.  Do the writers really think viewers are that stupid? 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I guess I'm in the minority here, and even I admit she can be OTT sometimes, but I kind of like her. She's cute and amusing and the way the actress delivers her lines is interesting.

I cracked up to Paul's reaction after she bit his Popsicle. I hope those two remain frenemies or become friends instead of a romance, though.

Your not alone at least. Although I love Shannon she a total Rez girl and its awesome. She is totally a product of that whole Aboriginal mindset where girls do not get told their opinions don't matter or that girls should always be "nice". We are expected to take charge and be tough. Shannon also adds her own spice of not giving a fuck what other people think too it as well. She an extreme version of that mentality but its kinda hilarious to see her contrasted with "I predicate a third of my opinions with I'm sorry  and another third are phrased as questions" Jordan Alexander. I doubt TPTB realize it but there is a whole feminist essay about how these two handle people. At least they aren't saying Shannon needs to be more of wallflower. Less abrasive sure but not that she needs to shut up and look pretty.

I also like that while Jordan is the mentor and is teaching Shannon how to speak better white people and get along but Shannon is also helping Jordan live a little. Jordan's previous BFF's existed solely to prop her and lacked purpose and personality. Shannon not only has her own purpose on the show but has somethings to show Jordan as well.

I am side eyeing the braids a little though. Its one of those things that varies a lot but I know a few native women who don't wear their hair like that because its such a stereotype. It kinda feels like TPTB wanted to make it clear Shannon isn't Hispanic at the wrestling match. 

Drew with the little girl was adorable. Does she have a dad? cuz if not I half expect her mom to die and Drew and Rick to end up adopting this kid for the amount of screentime she's gotten.

Judging by the preview Topher made the terrible mistake of standing too close to Terrible Catastrophe. Lets just pray its not a fatal one

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Ohwell said:

See, I didn't find that amusing at all.  I don't like people messing with my food, especially people I'm not close to.

Oh, I'm sure I'd be pissed if I was Paul, but the fact that she gave him the Popsicle in the first place kind of lessens the audacity of it, IMO, and Paul's reaction was so pouty three year old it was hilarious. Dude, it's a Popsicle. If you were looking forward to it that much, go get another one yourself.

• Love 2

I find Shannon annoying. Just because those college kids were white didn't mean they were rich and therefore not worthy of compassion. I also don't like the way she (and others) treat Paul. Continually teasing someone who doesn't like to be teased is bullying IMO.

• Love 5

In theory, I like the idea of meeting someone from the Rez and how her life is different from the rest, but I feel like they take to the extreme; to the point where I wonder if Shannon is basically a sociopath, who lacks any kind of empathy.  I can even understand why she gets annoyed that rich and well-off college are doing things that are deeply effecting her people, but doing things like randomly mocking Annie just because she's a "12-stepper", just makes her come off mean for really no good reason.  Frankly, I wish Topher actually acted more like a boss, and quits treating her with kid gloves.  He really shouldn't be letting her talk over him like that.  To be fair though, Topher could probably afford to do that with everyone (especially TC), so as much as I love him, maybe he just needs to work on that in general.

The Paul stuff I'm not too upset over, since Paul really needs to just start standing up for himself and not taking things so seriously.  Sadly though, I do think they are setting it up to be some kind of opposites attached between the two of them, which is cliched as hell.

TC and Jordan's little dance is just getting even more convoluted and stretched.  TC is now with this Jessica character, who he barely met and their first scene was him being a jerk to her (what's more attractive then a guy telling you that your responsible for people's deaths, I guess...), while Jordan thinks Sam is moving too fast, and is now just going to try out Tinder or whatever.  Of course, it is obvious that they still have the hots for one another and that will never change, but they're just too stubborn to actually try and work on this.  Sigh.

Scott and Annie cracks me up.  It will probably end horribly, but I so want them to actually get married, just so TC has to deal with Scott being "part of his family."

Drew was the MVP of these episodes for me.  He was cracking me up with Kenny and Jennifer Beals' daughter in the first episode, and his scenes with Topher were great in the second one.

• Love 3

Drew won this for me - I am so over Jordan and her emotional issues that force her values on to other people/patients. Clearly the cancer patient (who was far less annoying than she was in Bones) was rational and had made clear, informed decisions about her own health so STFU Jordan about fighting on and getting into a drug trial etc.

Do not like Annie at all so she can just get off my lawn.

Is Shannon an age-appropriate friend for Jordan? Seems off to me.

I felt that Paul was more freaked by the potential germ sharing in the popsicle incident rather than personal boundaries - it would have squicked me out too.

• Love 3
On 2016-07-01 at 11:38 PM, LittleIggy said:

I find Shannon annoying. Just because those college kids were white didn't mean they were rich and therefore not worthy of compassion. I also don't like the way she (and others) treat Paul. Continually teasing someone who doesn't like to be teased is bullying IMO.

1. Teasing is how native people express affection. This is how I know Shannon actually has the hots for Paul

2. Bullying implies an imbalance of power ie. a bigger kid picking someone smaller Paul actually outranks Shannon.

3. Paul was the one following Shannon around all night trying to get her attention.

4. Paul is grown assed man if he doesn't like how someone treats him it is his job to let them know.

On 2016-07-03 at 3:33 PM, thuganomics85 said:

In theory, I like the idea of meeting someone from the Rez and how her life is different from the rest, but I feel like they take to the extreme; to the point where I wonder if Shannon is basically a sociopath, who lacks any kind of empathy.  I can even understand why she gets annoyed that rich and well-off college are doing things that are deeply effecting her people, but doing things like randomly mocking Annie just because she's a "12-stepper", just makes her come off mean for really no good reason.  Frankly, I wish Topher actually acted more like a boss, and quits treating her with kid gloves.  He really shouldn't be letting her talk over him like that.  To be fair though, Topher could probably afford to do that with everyone (especially TC), so as much as I love him, maybe he just needs to work on that in general.

Shannon went off on Annie because Annie was preaching about AA and Shannon was in AA and relapsed at some point previously. Shannon reacted personally because Annie made it that way. Shannon made a smart assed remark and Annie was the one who kept pushing. Someone who works with junkies should learn to be a bit thicker skinned. Not to mention not to poke at what was obviously a sore spot. I'm not saying Shannon was innocent there but Annie was not as innocent as her poor me eyes would have you believe. 

Also can I just say it feel a little like what you are doing to Shannon the same thing she did to the OD kid. Since Shannon is outside your experience your basing your opinions of her on your own per-conceptions more than anything else. Its not to same  extent obviously because Shannon is fictional and you can judge her on her actions but it still feels like you writing her off based on very little information. I find this happens way too much when privileged people interact with POC you say you want to understand  and learn about other cultures. Until we express opinions and viewpoints that challenge or contradict your experience. Then we must be wrong, ignorant, bitches etc. I have encountered very few people willing to try to understand why POC might see things differently. I get that some of the problem is the writing but with a female POC I always  wonder if that's all it is.  I just can't help comparing how Shannon is being received to the white male Mario Carcetti over on Code Black. Both characters have very similar backstories but Mario was given a lot more leeway and actually has fewer redeeming characteristics. True Code Black had better writing but I think this acting is stronger for Shannon. 

Sometimes a person's opinion of another person has nothing to do with that person's background or skin color,

Sometimes a snot-nosed intern is just a snot-nosed intern.

• Love 3
(edited)

The biggest hard-to-believe in this show was, temp is 120F and TC is wearing his black leather jacket all over the place. I ride, and in summer it's in a t-shirt, not sweaty, unbreathing black leather. Although I guess the "hot" look (not temp hot) is what TC was going for. You'd think a scrubs top wouldn't be THAT hot that TC would have to strip down to a gross OD wife beater. How nasty is THAT look for your doctor? No thanks. The bomb pop bite cracked me up, best part of the show for me. Hey dude, eat your 'sicle or lose it.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1