Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Post Mortem

(edited)

A mailman is murdered, so the team joins investigative forces with a brash postal inspector who suspects the killing is part of a conspiracy. Also, Maura struggles with her injury, and Angela steps in when Korsak gets an awful birthday present for Kiki.

ETA: This is the 100th episode. Congratulations to R&I for the milestone. :-) 

Edited by tessaray

No comments yet? Okay, i'll start.

I really liked CJ and wish she would stick around for another episode or 2. Her comment about her RBF, and Jane's reply made me laugh.  

Also,  liked that Nina got out of the BRIC, and helped catch the little baddie, who was obviously in on it from the first time we saw him. Also,  Nina is a pretty good singer,  and a good friend to go up on stage and help out Maura. 

Didn't care about angela or Kiki.  Please don't turn Kiki into another angela. Hey,  angela and Kiki,  if you ask for a blender and you get a blender,  don't bitch about it.  At least he listened. 

Maura fencing was hot!  I've always wanted to learn to fence. ...

That's all I can think of at the moment. 

• Love 6

I'm always in favor of a little Motown on my television. 

I don't think Kiki asked for a blender as a birthday gift, just mentioned that they needed one while they were out shopping. That said, it was obviously just an Angela setup. 

I miss Susie but Kent is growing on me. The only issue I have with putting him with Maura is that dating a subordinate doesn't strike me as something that Doctor Isles would do.  Or something that anyone should do. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I cannot stand people like Angela who give blanket advice about how gifts need to be romantic.  Give me practical any day.  Now, don't give me a blender when I note we need one (how do two adults not have a single blender between them?), because that's something for us, not for me, but do not give me some schmaltzy shit, either.  If Kiki wants romantic gifts, good for her, and she can communicate that, but Angela didn't know that when she was spouting her wisdom.  One size does not fit all.

Wonderful to see Yvette Nicole Brown again, but what a collection of black female stereotypes her character was.  She made it work, as she does; I enjoyed her.

Boundaries, Kent.  His motivation in compiling all that research is good, but his execution sucks.  He doesn't know Maura well enough to just hand her a folder and tell her to go get brain surgery.  He should have taken that info to Jane, explained the situation, and let her sit down with Maura to suggest she look into it.

And I still see not one iota of sexual tension between them (plus, again -- she's his boss!).  I like them as friendly colleagues, but if the show goes down the romantic road I am going to be hella pissed.

Such a final season thing -- so, anyone in the cast want to sing?  We'll write that in.

I meant to watch the late airing to actually pay attention to the case, since I was cleaning during the first airing and thus not paying full attention, but I don't watch this show for the cases, anyway, so who cares?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

CJ was awesome... Can she join the show and get rid of Angela?  UGH about Angela. I think she has to be the worst character on TV.  Isn't Kiki a life coach?  She's definitely not a good one if she constantly needs advice and guidance from Angela.

Was last night the season finale?  I hope so... I'm over this show. 

• Love 2

Yeah, the "life coach" turning to Angela for advice. Makes a lot of sense. 

I don't think an item that can produce a delicious chocolate milkshake should ever catch too much abuse. Bring that blender over here...

• Love 3
(edited)

There is no question that Yvette Nicole Brown ad-libbed a lot so those line choices that were often playing into a stereotype were hers and I could hug her for them!  She was HILARIOUS and adorable and I loved that despite her "anger issues", she was passionate about her job as a Post Office investigator.  You could tell that the cast was not sure what would come out of her mouth next and did their best to keep up and play off of her. 

Enjoyed the show -- this episode was more about the case, less about the love-matches.

The fencing was impressive and got a kick out of the snobby woman at the beginning who corrected Jane on the type of sword.

I have numerous issues about Angela, but one of the glaring ones is -- when did Lorraine Bracco become such an over-enunciator?  Her manner of speaking is s-l-o-w.  I didn't watch the Sopranos so have no idea.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6

There is no question that Yvette Nicole Brown ad-libbed a lot so those line choices that were often playing into a stereotype were hers and I could hug her for them!

Loved her on Community, loved her here. She looked great too, she must have lost some weight.

• Love 2

I still miss Suzie.  I'm not feeling the chemistry being Maura and Kent.  He's just creepy.   Still have no idea why Suzie was written out. 

I've gotten into the habit of only half watching the show.   

• Love 1

Fencing! Yes! Fencing is awesome, as was 'I didn't know rich people had their own Storm Troopers'. And for once, Jane's mocking and annoyance at the snobbishness was funny. It helps that it was so deserved. 

For once, a guest star had a personality and it was entertaining, not infuriating. 'Passionate' as she may have been, Frankie and Korsak were dicks. CJ may have been nuts but she was good at her job. I am now sad this is the last season though. I want to see Maura and CJ at the convention!

The Kiki/Angela stuff was stupid, but I can't put this one all off on Angela. Angela made the best of the gift until it was clear that Kiki wasn't feeling it. This stupidity was all on Kiki in my view.

23 hours ago, Bastet said:

Boundaries, Kent.  His motivation in compiling all that research is good, but his execution sucks.  He doesn't know Maura well enough to just hand her a folder and tell her to go get brain surgery.  He should have taken that info to Jane, explained the situation, and let her sit down with Maura to suggest she look into it.

And I still see not one iota of sexual tension between them (plus, again -- she's his boss!).  I like them as friendly colleagues, but if the show goes down the romantic road I am going to be hella pissed.

Such a final season thing -- so, anyone in the cast want to sing?  We'll write that in.

He's known her well enough to discuss this with her several other times since she got hurt, not to mention take care of her. She almost passed out on him this ep. I think she trusts him and he cares about her. If not, why  would she be okay with him double checking her work and why would he bother? Why would she take his medical advice seriously and why would he go to the trouble to do the research? I agree that she knows and trusts Jane more, but that doesn't mean she doesn't also need Kent's support right now too. I think the two conversations about surgery were perfect examples of that.

I know I'm shipper biased, but I think his opinion is coming from a place of medical experience pushed by a lot of caring. And she accepts it because she knows and appreciates that. Which is also why I think Maura pushing back with his job was a cop out. He clearly thinks that surgery is her best option. She knows that too, but is avoiding because she doesn't want to face it. That's what the people who care about you are for IMO, to push but also respect the lines you set. So for me, she should have stuck with 'if I'd have wanted the information I'd have said so, so leave' instead of throwing the boss card. The situation was past that, and has been since she got hurt. They are at best colleagues working through this issue together. Except since when do colleagues respond to a bell? Or develop new zombie makeup and test it out on the other? Or cover for professional screwups? They are friends at this point, and in my hopes, headed to more. 

At first I was like, Sasha can sing? Though it quickly became clear that it was Nina's chance to show off her gorgeous voice, it was the two of them together that made the moment for me. That whole scene was a lot of fun. The Natural Woman choice was an overly obvious call back to twenty minutes before though.

Jan Nash told TV Guide: The sole purpose of introducing Kent is to give more play to the medical examiner aspect of the show. "We wanted Maura to have someone else to bounce things off of [besides Jane]," she says. "We're not planning on an inter-office romance. They're coworkers. As we go forward, there will be other conflicts of her managing him. It will hopefully make her world more interesting." http://www.tvguide.com/news/rizzoli-isles-season6-spoilers/

That would be intra-office, I believe.  I like that Kent is supportive of Maura, but it means less and less time for Maura to be alone with Jane.  Though OMG they did touch each other...ended with silliness, but still...

7 hours ago, l star said:

Fencing! Yes! Fencing is awesome, as was 'I didn't know rich people had their own Storm Troopers'. And for once, Jane's mocking and annoyance at the snobbishness was funny. It helps that it was so deserved. 

Maura fenced in school.  Jane scoffed.  All the way back in season One.  (Is it normal for replacement showrunners to not watch the previous episodes?  Nash only saw a dozen or so.  It shows at times.

"Rizzoli & Isles: She Works Hard for the Money (#1.4)" (2010)

Detective Jane Rizzoli: Did you play sports? 
Dr. Maura Isles: [proudly] Ballet. And fencing. 
Detective Jane Rizzoli: Those aren't sports. 
Dr. Maura Isles: Yes they are! What did you play? 
Detective Jane Rizzoli: Field Hockey. I was an Attacker. 
Dr. Maura Isles: I'm sure you were very aggressive. 
Detective Jane Rizzoli: [confused then amused] Attacker is a position. [smiling] 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Scamp said:

Jan Nash told TV Guide: The sole purpose of introducing Kent is to give more play to the medical examiner aspect of the show. "We wanted Maura to have someone else to bounce things off of [besides Jane]," she says. "We're not planning on an inter-office romance. They're coworkers. As we go forward, there will be other conflicts of her managing him. It will hopefully make her world more interesting." http://www.tvguide.com/news/rizzoli-isles-season6-spoilers/

That would be intra-office, I believe.  I like that Kent is supportive of Maura, but it means less and less time for Maura to be alone with Jane.  Though OMG they did touch each other...ended with silliness, but still...

Then why did she kill off Susie Chang???

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Scamp said:

That interview was done to promote the premiere of last season. He was brand new and only a recurring guest star. He's was upped to regular this season. I'm not saying they've changed their minds, but I am saying that I'm not going to hold them to something they said before the guy's first episode had even aired.

5 hours ago, maraleia said:

Because she sucks. Without the bitterness, I'm going to say because they wanted Maura to have more of a professional peer than Susie, as a lab tech, was. I adored Susie and her friendship with Maura, but I can't see her confiding in Susie about her medical issue or letting her help her through it. And I absolutely cannot imagine her having let Susie correct her work. I can't imagine her even letting Susie see enough chinks in her armor to know a mistake could be possible. I think that's the big difference in Maura's relationship with Kent. Maybe it's because he's not supposed to be a permanent lab employee, but instead is in training to take over his own lab, but she doesn't seem to always see him as someone who works for her. I think she frequently sees him as someone who works with her instead.

11 hours ago, maraleia said:

Susie was the last B character left from the previous showrunner's (Janet Tamaro) cast.  All the others are gone. Senior Criminalist Susie was no mere lab tech: she was an M.D. who supervised the lab techs.  http://www.examiner.com/article/chat-with-rizzoli-isles-co-star-tina-huang

I think Jan Nash hasn't done enough to develop her new characters.  Not just Kent, but Nina too.  They both lack depth.  

• Love 3
On 6/22/2016 at 1:49 AM, l star said:

At first I was like, Sasha can sing? Though it quickly became clear that it was Nina's chance to show off her gorgeous voice, it was the two of them together that made the moment for me. That whole scene was a lot of fun. The Natural Woman choice was an overly obvious call back to twenty minutes before though.

Idara Victor was in the 2006 revival of Les Miserables on Broadway. 

I suspected that the post office supervisor guy [the fact that I can't even recall his name is probably an indicator that the episode wasn't grabbing me] was involved when he kept asking questions about why they were searching the locker. He was on screen for too long to have been a throw away character.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was worth watching for the rendition of Natural Woman at the end. 

I loved Aretha when I was a teen, but I must've played Carole King's (co-author of the song) Tapestry album hundreds of times, including after many breakups.  The song still makes me misty-eyed. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)

I can certainly understand why Korsak would ignore Angela's calls..

Also loved the throwaway interaction where CJ says to Nina "Ever think about working for the post office?" and Nina's response is an emphatic "Um, NO!".  

This may be the most unpopular of opinions I've ever posted on show boards....but I think Kent is adorkable.  Maybe not for Maura but adorkable, nonetheless.

Edited by VartanFan
Adverb
  • Love 12
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, VartanFan said:

This may be the most unpopular of opinions I've ever posted on show boards....but I think Kent is adorkable.  Maybe not for Maura but adorkable, nonetheless.

I've always liked Kent - even when I thought he might be sketchy. I enjoy what he adds to the show.

The Angie and Kiki scenes bugged on so many levels, from Kiki being a life coach who surely has some handle on communication, to the kinds of gifts people want and/or find romantic varies from person to person, to the total dismissal of the fact Korsak had actually paid attention and tried to get a thoughtful gift. Personally, I thought the tambourine was romantic in and of itself, with no jewelry needed. But then my musician husband gave me a set of drumsticks one year - which held a lot of meaning and I loved them. Plus a tambourine is great for a musician's non-musical spouse - easy to play and participate.

Loved Yvette being on the show. She brought a lot of zest to the episode. She was always my favorite in Community as well. 

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 5