Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: Fire At Sea (1)

• Start Topic

The Northwestern catches on fire alone on the water and days from land. Meanwhile on the Time Bandit, a family emergency leaves Johnathan no choice but to make a desperate move. Josh Harris' judgement is tested.

10 minutes ago, thewhiteowl said:

The Northwestern catches on fire alone on the water and days from land. Meanwhile on the Time Bandit, a family emergency leaves Johnathan no choice but to make a desperate move. Josh Harris' judgement is tested.

Just realised just how much I dislike Josh. I see the sentence "Josh Harris' judgement is tested," and my immediate response is I hope he fails miserably.

• Love 9

-mama opossum Johnathan

-yay! That dude got voted out of the hippie circle! They don't need those negative waves messing with their mojo. I've figured out that Sean's group reminds me of Oddball's hippie group from Kelly's Heroes for some reason. Glad the guy got fired. He cost them a lot of money, although some of the crew should have been on top of the cotton stuff too.

-a fire to end the night? That's exciting.

• Love 2

A fire that we have to wait 2 weeks because of Shark Week.   Ugh.

Captain Sean is a great guy.   But he was being way too nice in that firing.   Stop explaining, just tell the guy, "it's over."   By explaining he gave the guy a chance to argue back why the reasons to fire him weren't valid.   Fortunately Sean figured that out and said "Well talk all you want, the plane is still coming for you."

Mama Opossum, hahahahahaha.

• Love 1

He's young, he'll learn that firings aren't a vote or a time to discuss things with the firee.  

The stupidest invention in the history of corporate America is the exit interview - I hate you and you're sick of me.  What a waste of time.

• Love 2

Yay.  The Bait is back.  It's not After The Catch but I'll take what I can.  Loved the clip montage of Sean getting 'excited' on the boat.  He also seems to be a very tall dude. 

I had to pause when they showed the baseball hat.  Apparently they're filming The Bait at The Harlem Yacht Club.  I wonder if they'll talk about that at all. 

About sharing information - Bill says he has no friends...

On to the show:  You know they weren't going to show what happened with the fire.  It's an 'epic' two parter.  Geez, did they promote it enough in the commercials? 

Mandy is back.  Boring.  Hey, it looks like the Northwestern got a Keurig or did I see that wrong.  Makes sense.

I liked that Jon wanted to get the deckhand back for the birth of his child.

Josh - You've got a long way to being your father in the crabbing department.  One season does not a legend make. 

Yeah, Sean was nice in the firing but that's who he is.  He also had the whole crew there to back him up to show that it wasn't a 'personal' decision.  Many would disagree with the method but I think he had it right in this situation.  Of course, we get the guy saying that he should have been told sooner.  Why?  So he could correct his attitude and work ethic?  Already done and didn't work.  Time to go...

• Love 3
On 6/18/2016 at 11:53 AM, SRTouch said:

Just realised just how much I dislike Josh. I see the sentence "Josh Harris' judgement is tested," and my immediate response is I hope he fails miserably.

Me too.  It's ruining the show for me.   I actually considered that Discovery had somehow filled the 19th pot with crab just to preserve its "crowned prince" story line.   

Josh stuffing his face with a Twix bar -- that was the only moment that rang true for me.

• Love 5

The Josh is so great storyline is just sad at this point.   Especially with the counter point to Sean.   Remember last year when Josh lost it because they weren't fixing the pots fast enough?   This year Sean has a guy who clearly was not doing his job AND was blaming Sean (really the pots didn't soak long enough, that's why there's no crab.   You can TELL there's no cotton).   Sean didn't rant and scream.   He just ... calmly explained to the guy why he was fired, then made it clear the firing was non-negotiable.

Last week Disco posted on their twitter feed asking people to congratulate Josh on his successful season.   I tweeted back "Congratulate him for doing his job?  That Captain Dwyer is doing better and younger?"   They really need to stop trying to make Josh happen.

I bet Sean will get as many screaming fan girls as Josh.   Yes, he does seem tall.   But I like tall men.

• Love 5

The fire on the Northwestern is the big cliff hanger we're supposed to worry about for two weeks. Honestly, though, when I saw it was the Northwestern and that both Sig and Edgar are on board and working as a team, I know it will turn out fine. Both men (and their crew people) are talented. Sig and Edgar know the boat and have dealt with a lot of crap before, especially Edgar in the engine room. It will be dramatic, scary for those involved, but it will be HANDLED. It's going to be interesting if Sig will start to give Mandy some real work to do. She needs sea hours...operating a vessel not fetching coffee...in order for her to get her license. Sig showed with both Jake A and Edgar that it's hard for him to hand the controls over to anyone. I have a feeling that Mandy is going to get tired of making coffee and is going to have to stand up to her old man. She may be able to do it more effectively than Edgar in a way and definitely better than Jake A. Sig really wants his kid to succeed and in order for her to do so, he's got to let her do the work.

• Love 4

what was easy to see on The Bait was that the Captains seemed to actually like Sean where they seem to only tolerate Josh.  I'm not worried about the fire since they obviously survived.  With Sig, Edgar, and Norman all so intimately familiar with the NW, no one on the Bering Sea is more prepared to deal with that .sort of emergency.

• Love 4

I used to kinda like Casey, but now I think he's almost as annoying as Josh.  Casey's prayer circle at the beginning just seemed so phony and something he thought up for the camera's sake. And of course Josh invokes the spirit of dear ol' Dead Dad.  He wants to be remembered like Phil was.  I'm OK with that...just have Josh take a selfie, frame it and hang it next to Phil's picture, then get out of the wheelhouse forever.  When they flash the camera on the 2 pictures the viewers can say, "Oh yeah! Captain Harris!  What a great guy! And look, he had a son."

• Love 3

I'm a big Sean fan, but I thought the firing was very badly handled. Unless you're firing somebody in the moment (e.g. had he told him he was fired while standing on deck while the guy was mouthing off at him), you don't do it in front of other people.  You certainly don't gather everybody around and say "you're fired, and by the way, everybody here agreed you suck."  

He does appear to be attractively tall -- I know the other captains tend to be 5'7, 5'8, so I'd like to see him next to Johnathan, but he seemed to be a good head taller than him, too.  

I loved the montage of his emotional range.  

I had forgotten the benefit of having Mandy take the watch. That's SLEEP, folks.  I bet those guys would trade anything for sleep.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I used to kinda like Casey, but now I think he's almost as annoying as Josh. 

I used to see Casey as an authentic, no-bullshit sort of guy who pulled the unenviable job of babysitting the Harris brat.   He was the voice of sanity aboard the CM.

Now though, I get the queasy feeling that Casey is all good with kicking back and playing second banana to Josh, regardless of the consequences.   I feel embarrassed for Casey, a seasoned seaman, when the show goes out of its way to highlight Josh petulantly ignoring his advice, then giving Josh the hero treatment when it appears to pay off (and I say appears because who really knows what happens in the editing room).    In one season, Casey has gone (at least in my eyes) from respectable captain to Josh's flunky.    And that makes me hate Josh and the show even more.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, millennium said:

In one season, Casey has gone (at least in my eyes) from respectable captain to Josh's flunky.    And that makes me hate Josh and the show even more.

Casey was sitting there with a look on his face that said "I'm screwed no matter what I say or do. So I will just put my hat on upside down and sideways to express my true feelings." He knows he is cast as Robin. It has been six years since Phil died and Josh is STILL struggling to be a captain. Disco just needs to stop trying to make it happen with him. 

• Love 7
Just now, Galloway Cave said:

Casey was sitting there with a look on his face that said "I'm screwed no matter what I say or do. So I will just put my hat on upside down and sideways to express my true feelings." He knows he is cast as Robin. It has been six years since Phil died and Josh is STILL struggling to be a captain. Disco just needs to stop trying to make it happen with him. 

Say Josh, with the help of Discovery, does manage to convince somebody that he's seaworthy and he's cleared to take the ship out alone, with no hand-holding.   Based on what we have seen -- his poor vision, his lack of attention to detail, his infantile attention span when it comes to the job, his reluctance to get off his ass even when the alarms are ringing, his delusional infatuation with being the heir apparent -- that would be like sending the crew on a potential suicide mission. 

• Love 7

I liked that Sean talked to the crew before doing the firing, because they are the guys dealing him on the deck and, most important, they are the ones who will have to do more work.  It showed respect for his crew and they seemed to appreciate it (and to be supportive of Sean).  I think it was a terrible idea, however, for him to tell the guy that everyone wanted him out.  Getting the crew's input is good people management; not owning your decision as the boss is not. 

For reasons I can't really explain, I think Sig might be more likely to give Mandy the wheel than either Jake or Edgar.  Maybe it's that to me, Sig has always seemed to think substance abuse and addiction are a weakness and he struggles to respect someone who's battled those issues?  Or maybe he's just a dad who thinks his baby girl can do no wrong!

• Love 3

One thing I appreciated was we got no BS about how awful the weather was going to be for Opies.  It was a second-straight benign time.  Warming isn't all bad, eh?  El Nino for the win.

I've never seen two null pots with a third and all subsequent pots crammed full of crab.  That was cray cray.  Good for the CM.

Anyone ever hear about "cotton" issues on DC before?  Ever once see crew describing how they ensure that isn't an issue?  All I ever see are hands doing anything BUT checking for things like bait and frayed shots (rope), and now, cotton ties.  I've never seen a cotton tie attached.  Why the heck not?!!!!!  I'm glad we are getting stuff like this in this season.  

Mandy looked really good.  This is a great opportunity for her and a win-win for the NW.  I very much liked her putting it on her dad to TEACH.   She is fully within her rights to call him out on this.  Good on her.

Didja notice the difference when a for realz issue arose?  No more narrative talking.  No more manufactured draaaaaama.  Sig and the crew flipped to real deal crisis mode.  I hate that it happened, but I love when I get to see "real."  

• Love 4

I don't think Mandy's eyes are on the NW any more. Sig alluded to "the kind of boat you'll be running one day" which makes me suspect her maritime school has turned her ambitions to much larger vessels, which he supports.

Watching the expanded version... They poked fun at Sean saying "heavens to Betsy" like a grandma! I had missed that. He threw down a few MFs, though, too, in the episode.  

I can't overstate how refreshing he's been for this show. Even my fave crew, the NW, are basically going through the motions now... It's good to have a new guy whose storyline of making a start in the business isn't weighed down by his emotional insecurities (Jake) or its total fiction (josh).

The most recent "Bait" show had clips that reminded me how many crew members used to get serious airtime because they were a hoot, and it was organic. Edgar, of course, for the win. But Russell Newberry! Hiram!  A well oiled Crosby! Who is the last crewman to get airtime for anything other than firing offenses? Freddie 4-5 yrs ago?

• Love 5
On 6/25/2016 at 3:35 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I've never seen two null pots with a third and all subsequent pots crammed full of crab.  That was cray cray.  Good for the CM.

Unless I'm mistaken, it was 18 blanks in a row, with the 19th pot crammed.