Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Love Bites

That had to suck for the new guy- not even desperate ass Alex went to meet him. Is that going down in the show's history?

Lisa is a piece of work. But, Ben started showing his ass to Michelle in this episode. I thought he kinda gave ole conservative Alex what she needed in their conversation before he eliminated her, but now I see he truly is a jerk.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, announcergirl said:

That had to suck for the new guy- not even desperate ass Alex went to meet him. Is that going down in the show's history?

Lisa is a piece of work. But, Ben started showing his ass to Michelle in this episode. I thought he kinda gave ole conservative Alex what she needed in their conversation before he eliminated her, but now I see he truly is a jerk.

Man....that was rough.  I know I've wanted the guys to have to deal with the same rejection the women have to deal with, but....ouch.

Again, why aren't the first words out of Alex's mouth "Are you a conservative who watches Fox News every night?" because she only makes it a deal breaker once she gets to the villa.

I wonder if Alex was hoping she could fake the funk long enough to see BT again....but I suspect that BT is too good a guy for that.  And come on Ashley, he is an annoyed drunk, he wasn't upturning tables.  I get that a lot of anger issues may start small and progress, but I didn't see anything more than a guy who got a little too into his cups and became obnoxious.  If it got/gets worse than that I think she has cause for concern, but I just didn't see it.

I feel like the guys are getting progressively less attractive....but I think the second guy had a really, really great personality....and the women probably felt bad for sending the first dude home.  

I kinda wish he had chosen Talayah....but at the same time I thought it was BS that she turned that guy down simply because of his height.  I understand that you don't want to settle....I get it, but come on now.  I also sort of wished second guy had chosen Dom, because I think his low key vibe and sense of humor would have made a really great match for her.  But overall, I like Kristin (the blonde) so I wasn't unhappy that he chose her.  

I guess that its not forbidden to start talking to another dude once you're in the "couples area," and Michelle seems sort of miserable....at the same time, if you're doing something, just say you're doing it.  Don't "I'm not allowed to swim with Ben?  Why not?  It was all innocent!"  Come on, we know that wasn't innocent.

The more I see Taylor, the more I think that Lisa's end game was to get around other guys and see what happened.  Taylor is all sorts of ugly to me, and that hipster fedora and the screened tee with the woman in a bikini on the front...oh noes.

• Love 1

I kind of think they need to bring in a couple more girls if they are going to continue bringing in new guys.  Some of the girls are way too picky.  You aren't picking a perfect man to be your future husband....you are picking someone to potentially date and have fun with and see where it goes. 

• Love 2

I may live to take it all back, but so far, I'm on Ben's side.  First Alex wants to bring in hard politics on the first day. Then Michelle calls out to him on the beach like she's already his wife, rather than walk on up and see what she's interrupting.  She says, "Should I start cooking?" he distractedly says something like "No ... nobody else is cooking yet", and all of a sudden, in her mind, it's a fight!  Because she wants to cook doggone it and he isn't supporting her!   Next, he has Lisa coming on strong, while he seems to have her in the friend zone.

• Love 5

They seem to change the rules as they go along.  They let the new guy with his 2 choices join the party on the beach with the couples.  In the past they didn't join the couples till they had made their choice between the 2 females. 

I also thought it was odd they didn't let the guy that nobody picked go to the Tiki Bar.  I expected he would walk up and find the host without any women around.  Instead they didn't even let him walk over there. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I may live to take it all back, but so far, I'm on Ben's side.  First Alex wants to bring in hard politics on the first day. Then Michelle calls out to him on the beach like she's already his wife, rather than walk on up and see what she's interrupting.  She says, "Should I start cooking?" he distractedly says something like "No ... nobody else is cooking yet", and all of a sudden, in her mind, it's a fight!  Because she wants to cook doggone it and he isn't supporting her!   Next, he has Lisa coming on strong, while he seems to have her in the friend zone.

I agree.  I think he has sort of gotten the short shrift.  Alex neglected to tell him about her huge dealbreaker, which, in effect, left him with no choice because he isn't a slightly younger version of Bill O'Reilly.  And now he is stuck with Michelle who seems like a bit of a stick in the mud.  Because, like you, without any further context it was hard to know exactly where that fight came from.  She wanted to cook, he didn't want to cook, he didn't curse her out, he just said that no one else was cooking so he didn't want to start cooking.  If she was super passionate about cooking, she should have just TOLD him she was going to start cooking.  It would have been less of a fight than asking him and getting upset when he gave her an answer.

I'm also interested in what the Lisa story is, because she kept saying that he told her he was interested in her, but he had to "play wife" with Michelle.  Did she accost him and he felt he had to tell her something or did he really feel that way?  TBH, I wouldn't blame him for being more interested in Lisa, because he has known Michelle for all of 5 minutes and she has spent 4 of those minutes being insufferable.  Who the hell wants to be stuck with a shrew...especially when you didn't even really choose her!

oh oh oh.....I also have to post this, but it might be a spoiler, but its juicy!

Spoiler

OK, so on the "aftershow" it was revealed that Taylor sent a handwritten letter to Kristin saying that he had made a mistake and should have picked her instead of Lisa.....I'm not sure if this will play out later, but its interesting.  Especially since I think she dodged a bullet.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, RCharter said:

Man....that was rough.  I know I've wanted the guys to have to deal with the same rejection the women have to deal with, but....ouch.

Again, why aren't the first words out of Alex's mouth "Are you a conservative who watches Fox News every night?" because she only makes it a deal breaker once she gets to the villa.

I wonder if Alex was hoping she could fake the funk long enough to see BT again....but I suspect that BT is too good a guy for that.  And come on Ashley, he is an annoyed drunk, he wasn't upturning tables.  I get that a lot of anger issues may start small and progress, but I didn't see anything more than a guy who got a little too into his cups and became obnoxious.  If it got/gets worse than that I think she has cause for concern, but I just didn't see it.

I feel like the guys are getting progressively less attractive....but I think the second guy had a really, really great personality....and the women probably felt bad for sending the first dude home.  

I kinda wish he had chosen Talayah....but at the same time I thought it was BS that she turned that guy down simply because of his height.  I understand that you don't want to settle....I get it, but come on now.  I also sort of wished second guy had chosen Dom, because I think his low key vibe and sense of humor would have made a really great match for her.  But overall, I like Kristin (the blonde) so I wasn't unhappy that he chose her.  

I guess that its not forbidden to start talking to another dude once you're in the "couples area," and Michelle seems sort of miserable....at the same time, if you're doing something, just say you're doing it.  Don't "I'm not allowed to swim with Ben?  Why not?  It was all innocent!"  Come on, we know that wasn't innocent.

The more I see Taylor, the more I think that Lisa's end game was to get around other guys and see what happened.  Taylor is all sorts of ugly to me, and that hipster fedora and the screened tee with the woman in a bikini on the front...oh noes.

I felt awful for the first new guy-to-be. He seemed like a nice guy, the women said they found him attractive, but not one chose him. My heart went out to him, but he seemed to take it well.

I also thought the second guy was great. I was hoping he'd pick Tayla. She's so sweet, so lovely. I thought  that mint dress look fabulous on her. That color isn't always easy to wear, but it was absolutely gorgeous on her. 

About BT: 

He isn't my type-- well, I don't have a specific, rigid type, but I know he's still not it, lol. I think he's probably a good guy, he is handsome, has nice body, quirky nose/lip area, which I find hot. (I love quirks) He's sexy IMO, but those are observations and not reactions. I find him attractive but am not attracted to him. I can see what others see and get it, but it's not there for me.

i think he's most likely a genuine guy. I felt it when he was apologizing to Ashley. He didn't make excuses and admitted he's had issues. I get why, and I think he was being sincere about working on it. Since I've been in an abusive relationship before, I'm wary of men with anger issues. That being said, BT would not scare me. He may not be perfect (who is ?), but I bet he would make a great partner. IMO, he came across as someone genuinely willing to admit fault and honestly work on it. In his case, it is all legitimate, too. This is all coming from a few minutes of reality tv, of course, so he could be a huge ass! Lol! 

51 minutes ago, Palomar said:

I kind of think they need to bring in a couple more girls if they are going to continue bringing in new guys.  Some of the girls are way too picky.  You aren't picking a perfect man to be your future husband....you are picking someone to potentially date and have fun with and see where it goes. 

Add me to the chorus of wishing TPTB would do something to give the men who come later an equal chance. I also wish they'd clarify if partner-swapping is verboten, or at least legitimize it a bit by warning the couples --and audience--that it could happen. Since these are new relationships (but barely qualify as such...more as a possible beginning of one) and they are there to find lurvvvv, I don't  mind it when it's done respectfully. Say..a couple mutually decides they aren't feeling it, they split, they each connect with another. 

Since the woman goes back to the bungalows and the man leaves if a couple breaks up, I want the  TPTB to say what happens if a couple swaps. Yes, there is a breakup, but it could also create a new couple. Let's say a couple splits and the man wants to hook up with another woman, but his former partner doesn't get with a new guy. What happens then? Does him hooking up with a new woman legitimize his stay at the villa? 

Something  I really like about this show is the mixed casting. To me, it feels organic and genuine, not at all forced and "token" (side-eye to you, Bachelor/ette).  

• Love 3

I didn't understand why Michelle had any drama about wanting to cook. She said she was dizzy and nauseous on the kayak. She should have just told him "oh well, I'm gonna make myself some food because I don't feel well" or something. Why did she need Ben's permission? And the less said about Ben, the better. Dick. Lisa is insufferable and they deserve each other. Plus I just want Taylor to leave.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I didn't understand why Michelle had any drama about wanting to cook. She said she was dizzy and nauseous on the kayak. She should have just told him "oh well, I'm gonna make myself some food because I don't feel well" or something. Why did she need Ben's permission? And the less said about Ben, the better. Dick. Lisa is insufferable and they deserve each other. Plus I just want Taylor to leave.

Because she's extra, plus he looked like a third wheel building sand castles or whatever with that couple. I think cooking dinner was also a part of the producer directives- like a mission.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, announcergirl said:

Because she's extra, plus he looked like a third wheel building sand castles or whatever with that couple. I think cooking dinner was also a part of the producer directives- like a mission.

LOL...he did, didn't he!?!??

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, RCharter said:

LOL...he did, didn't he!?!??

Signs your relationship is turning to shit in front of your eyes:

1. Your man would rather play in the sand with another man than to be with you!

New theory: was that man-stealing Lisa building the castle with him and her date?

Edited by announcergirl
More clever thought
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, announcergirl said:

Signs your relationship is turning to shit in front of your eyes:

1. Your man would rather play in the sand with another man than to be with you!

New theory: was that man-stealing Lisa building the castle with him and her date?

I can't blame her, I would do anything to escape Taylor too.  That guy is just everything I find distasteful in a man.  The hipster/jazzy fedora....the ironic throwback tee shirt with the bikini girl on it.  My eyes are itching to roll every time he is on screen.

• Love 1
(edited)

And come on Ashley, he is an annoyed drunk, he wasn't upturning tables.  I get that a lot of anger issues may start small and progress, but I didn't see anything more than a guy who got a little too into his cups and became obnoxious.  If it got/gets worse than that I think she has cause for concern, but I just didn't see it.

Yeah but that's the thing. Since it's reality TV, there may have been hours and hours of footage of him acting like a total dick. They may just have chosen not to show it to us in order to create a specific story line. Then again maybe not, but you just never know. 

That guy is just everything I find distasteful in a man.  The hipster/jazzy fedora....the ironic throwback tee shirt with the bikini girl on it.  My eyes are itching to roll every time he is on screen.

I've been known to have a weakness for this type, but something is off about Taylor. He doesn't seem right for this show. It's an uncomfortable fit, and to boot Lisa is definitely not into him. 

I think both Ben and Michelle kinda suck. He comes across to me as an arrogant playboy type (without really having the charisma to back it up) and she seems insecure and controlling.  

Alex can go away any moment now. Just  no. 

Edited by violetr
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, announcergirl said:

Where can I find the podcast and after show?

I found it by searching "Coupled" in the Podcast search bar on my phone.  I don't know if you use iTunes. I'm interested in hearing what these insights are!

It must be difficult for some of the guys who come later and have fewer women to choose from.  I wonder if they look at some of the the other women in the house who are already paired up, and wish that they had gotten to a chance to meet them too. Anyway, I'm still not certain Ben would have picked Lisa. He seems to enjoy flirting with her but I don't think he's interested enough in her to break up two couples. On the other hand, Lisa seems to be pushing the relationship. I  do think that couples should be able to switch if things aren't working out, but at the same time, I think it's in poor taste to actively pursue someone else's partner.  And I can't help thinking that if it had been anyone other than Michelle (who she seems to hate), Lisa wouldn't have done this. Those two have disliked each other ever since Michelle made that comment about picking Imari in support of her friend Dom which really sounded like BS to me. How is picking a guy that your friend might want be supportive?  In that case I agreed wtih Lisa, but I still thought her reaction was a little harsh.  Anyway, I can't tell if Ben is really being  a jerk to Michelle since so much stuff is edited out, but I thought MIchelled overreacted with the cooking incident. I am beginning to think that something might be off with Michelle. But something also seems to be off with Ben's taste in women.

16 minutes ago, FrancesL said:

It must be difficult for some of the guys who come later and have fewer women to choose from.  I wonder if they look at some of the the other women in the house who are already paired up, and wish that they had gotten to a chance to meet them too. Anyway, I'm still not certain Ben would have picked Lisa. He seems to enjoy flirting with her but I don't think he's interested enough in her to break up two couples. On the other hand, Lisa seems to be pushing the relationship. I  do think that couples should be able to switch if things aren't working out, but at the same time, I think it's in poor taste to actively pursue someone else's partner.  And I can't help thinking that if it had been anyone other than Michelle (who she seems to hate), Lisa wouldn't have done this. Those two have disliked each other ever since Michelle made that comment about picking Imari in support of her friend Dom which really sounded like BS to me. How is picking a guy that your friend might want be supportive?  In that case I agreed wtih Lisa, but I still thought her reaction was a little harsh.  Anyway, I can't tell if Ben is really being  a jerk to Michelle since so much stuff is edited out, but I thought MIchelled overreacted with the cooking incident. I am beginning to think that something might be off with Michelle. But something also seems to be off with Ben's taste in women.

I totally don't think Ben is as interested in Lisa as she is in him. He likes flirting, but nothing more. If he was, he would have pursued harder probably. She's doing the pursuing.

• Love 2

Ben couldn't even muster up a token amount of concern when Michelle was feeling seasick.  The guy is a jerk.  Michelle was probably irritated with him all day, and the cooking thing was minor but it was the last straw.

• Love 5
On 6/17/2016 at 8:41 AM, announcergirl said:

Just saw it! Ca-razy!

yeah, I hope this somehow comes up in the regular show.  because right now, it sort of looks like Lisa is the only one stepping out in that...."relationship?"  but Taylor is doing the same and he should be made to look as big of an asshole as Lisa is.  In fact, I think Taylor is worse.  At the very least, Lisa could see that Ben and Michelle weren't getting along and probably weren't going to make a happy couple.  But Taylor gave Kristin that note knowing full and damn well that she was paired up with another dude and was happily trying to get to know him.

• Love 2

anyone have the link for the youtube video with Taylor's note?
We need a thread for the most recent episode. I'm not sure if I should create one since they usually start with some blurb about the episode.

POTENTIAL MINOR SPOILER (vaguely worded too much of a spoiler):

Spoiler

I just wonder why they left the luggage behind during the boat trip. That should be vague enough not to be a real spoiler.

On June 18, 2016 at 3:32 PM, RCharter said:

yeah, I hope this somehow comes up in the regular show.  because right now, it sort of looks like Lisa is the only one stepping out in that...."relationship?"  but Taylor is doing the same and he should be made to look as big of an asshole as Lisa is.  In fact, I think Taylor is worse.  At the very least, Lisa could see that Ben and Michelle weren't getting along and probably weren't going to make a happy couple.  But Taylor gave Kristin that note knowing full and damn well that she was paired up with another dude and was happily trying to get to know him.

1 hour ago, Vicky8675309 said:

anyone have the link for the youtube video with Taylor's note?
We need a thread for the most recent episode. I'm not sure if I should create one since they usually start with some blurb about the episode.

POTENTIAL MINOR SPOILER (vaguely worded too much of a spoiler):

Hide contents

I just wonder why they left the luggage behind during the boat trip. That should be vague enough not to be a real spoiler.

I can't find it because there are many. Start here:

• Love 2