Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Big Family, Big Changes

• Start Topic

(edited)

It’s a season of change for the Bates family with new loves, new careers, and a new grandbaby on the way. But when Gil undergoes a serious medical procedure, it forces everyone to contemplate what the future holds for them all.

Filler episode.  Looks like we don't get to meet Tori's new beau until episode 3.

ETA: Lawson's singing and songwriting are so cringeworthy.  Songwriters are a dime a dozen in Nashville, so I can't imagine anyone would give him a second glance if his family wasn't on television.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush

I just think Kelly and Gil are adorable together. They're affection is not held back, nor is it forced. I love how genuinely they seem to consider each other, like the way she talked about him waiting on her hand and foot through all of her pregnancies/births. I totally believe it. I think he's probably always been a pretty hands on husband and father. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I just think Kelly and Gil are adorable together. They're affection is not held back, nor is it forced. I love how genuinely they seem to consider each other, like the way she talked about him waiting on her hand and foot through all of her pregnancies/births. I totally believe it. I think he's probably always been a pretty hands on husband and father. 

I haven't seen this episode, but I think you're right. Zach appears to be a very loving husband to Whitney, and he must have learned that from Gil. Even though the Bateses adhere to traditional gender roles, I don't get the vibe that they're total misogynists. Compare Zach to Doughboy Duggar who made his wife haul her own suitcase into their honeymoon suite and took a nap while she was in labor.

• Love 6

Lawson's singing and songwriting are pretty bad. I do give him props for trying to pursue it at least. I do not know how well he is doing with it. I thought his album/singles were on iTunes, but it isn't really a genre that I like so I have no idea how well it did. Is the country/christian genre that big? He just might have a place in that niche, but I do not know anything, so who knows.

I do like Kelly's genuine enthusiasm for her grandkids (which is pretty normal for most folks, but not with Michelle). She always seems to be holding one when they are around. She also seems genuinely thrilled whenever a couple announces they are expecting. I was reminded of that when they showed the clip Whitney and Zach announcing they were expecting their second child again.

I did like that it looked like the older girls were not in charge of schooling the younger kids. Also, how all the kids seem to interact like actual siblings with the sledding and snowball fight.

I still think Jeb is adorable. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I haven't seen this episode, but I think you're right. Zach appears to be a very loving husband to Whitney, and he must have learned that from Gil. Even though the Bateses adhere to traditional gender roles, I don't get the vibe that they're total misogynists. Compare Zach to Doughboy Duggar who made his wife haul her own suitcase into their honeymoon suite and took a nap while she was in labor.

Yup. I think they do follow traditional gender roles for the most part (as do I), but it isn't defining their entire lives. If their wives are incapacitated, need help, etc. I think they would be happy to jump in. Whereas with the Duggar boys, I see them being like - "Nah, can't do that. Women's work." 

35 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Lawson's singing and songwriting are pretty bad. I do give him props for trying to pursue it at least.

Yea, he's not so good. I don't know specifically about country-Christian, but country itself is so huge, I feel like he'd have to stand out in some way to make it anywhere. I can see him selling some CDs because of fans from the show or something, but that's about it. 

36 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I did like that it looked like the older girls were not in charge of schooling the younger kids.

Yes, I truly believe that Kelly does it. They were filling in for mom while she was at the hospital, but it doesn't seem like their every day gig. You can definitely tell that their daughters aren't just live-in babyraisers, because 3 of them have already married and moved out and another one is courting. 

• Love 3

I thought I'd read that they closed down the tree business. I guess that's not the case, and Nathan is going to inherit it. I guess Ashley is going to be a country girl whether she wants to be one or not. How far are they from the malls in Knoxville? 

Lawson: stick to writing what you know. The song concept was awful, because he was faking it. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I thought I'd read that they closed down the tree business. I guess that's not the case, and Nathan is going to inherit it. I guess Ashley is going to be a country girl whether she wants to be one or not. How far are they from the malls in Knoxville? 

Lawson: stick to writing what you know. The song concept was awful, because he was faking it. 

Yeah, I got the impression that Nathan is expected to carry on the tree business.  Trace and Lawson showed no interest in continuing it.  I'm wondering how that would work when Nathan formally takes over, would it still be a source of income for Gil and Kelly?  Knoxville is 30 or so miles away from Rocky Top, maybe Nathan and Ashley can live closer to Knoxville and Nathan commute?

I liked seeing the family dynamics yesterday.  Gil and Kelly really are the center of the family and are actual parents.  Jeb sought out Kelly and Gil rather than an older "buddy" when he came in from sledding. Nathan impressed me when he offered to drive Kelly and Gil to the hospital.  5 am isn't that early to get up and help your family, but the way he offered was really caring and wasn't a scripted moment.  

• Love 2

Kelly and Gil do seem so very genuine that I can't help but buy in completely.  I had to ff through Lawson's music stuff, he's not good and I just don't care.  Love seeing the genuine family love and interaction.  They are a really tight family or a very talented group of actors.

I saw one that was a compilation of their vacations. Nothing but filler. 

They really are banging out these episodes though. The Duggars, at their peak, did two "seasons" a year. The Bates are shaping up to have at least 3, if not 4. 

Lawson's "music career" - please.  I agree with those above, he wouldn't be getting any attention at all if it weren't for the show.  It's a nice hobby to have, but he will never really make a living off of it.  The only reason he gets anything for it are due to the leghumping fans - they'll buy anything related to the Bateseseses or the Duggars.  "Oh mah stars!  They are soooo inspiring!"

Jeb is a major cutie - I can never have my fill of him. 

• Love 2
(edited)

@Bajovane (not sure why I can't tag you) I've said it before, and I think you've seen me remark on it, but I think a large part of Gil green-lighting this show in the first place was to give Lawson a platform for his "singing career" and to basically just put him front and center whenever they could to gain attention of people who matter. He's a bloody camera hog; he steals scenes where he really isn't needed, like at baby showers and whatnot.I wonder how many more scenes we will be subjected to this season focusing on Lawson trying to sing?  He can leave my screen at any time. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

So I just watched the first and second episode of season 2 tonight. They're still the same -- tight family that seems reasonably normal (for that cult) and seems to allow the kids to at least somewhat have their own lives.

Anyone else think Lawson looks pale and like he's lost some weight on his face/neck? Wonder what's up with that. Hopefully it just means that he's traveling around and not home for Mama Bates' cooking. Though I wonder if he's feeling some stress re life plans. They clearly said Nathan would take over the tree business; looks like Trace is deciding whether he'll join or continue school. Lawson OTOH does NOT want to be a part. He wants to make it in music, which is no easy feat -- and his lyric writing is the kind teens do as a hobby and not to break into Nashville. He also clearly said he's doing music on his own and doesn't always have people supporting him, to which Nathan says -- you're 23 yrs old!! I wonder if he family "expects" him to move on, find a regular job or get into the tree business, and settle down. I mean they're not as pushy as the Duggars re running their kids' lives BUT I do get the sense that there is some expectation.

In episode 2 -- sweet to see the bond between Trace and Jeb. I do hope however that Trace WANTED to share a party with a 4 yr old. I don't know how old he is but if he's just finishing high school he's between 17-19. While he's sweet to his littlest bro, it would have been nice to go celebrate with just his older brothers and even a few friends -- rather than playing race car games and cop games with a 4 yr old that he had ALREADY taken out to ice cream and spent hours with go karting. It would have been nice if someone had made it Trace's day too.

• Love 1

I was hoping too as I watched that Trace wanted to do the joint party. I was surprised that there were none of Trace's or Jed's friends showing up for go karting or back at Zach's. Maybe this was just a family party and they did something with their friends later?

I assume that Jeb went home at some point & then Trace had the party he wanted, watching movies with Zach & Lawson.  Trace is old enough to do what he wants after giving the little kid his birthday thrills.  I saw the gocarts as more something Trace would be into than Jeb.   Jeb is 4, I don't think indulging him on his bday at this age is a big deal.  If they're still doing it when he's 10 and Trace is in his late 20's, then I'd be like WTF.

I enjoyed this episode and the prior one with Gil's health issues tonight.  I really don't have a beef with any of them today.  The older boy child baked the birthday cake, and Lawson doesn't bother me at all.  He has a right to pursue his dream, and if not a headline singer/writer he can still make it his career.  I don't find him irritating, but good-natured.  Some of the middle girls get on my nerves now and then, And Alissa had to drag Chad to the girl schout function and act all nervous about speaking.  Perhaps a better common od English might help.  I don't see anything special in her, tho Chad does, so that's ok.  This is the show to watch, and while rating at not great compared to other networks, they are fine for UP and rising.  If they were on a more popular network I'll bet they'd do much better, but speculate they may be UP's top show.

• Love 1

Haven't watched the latest episode yet, but it just occurred to me - why don't Lawson and Erin team up as a sort of Donny & Marie thing? They need a gimmick. She has the support of Andy Leftwich, right? Is that who Lawson is working with as well? Is Erin even going to continue recording after starting her family?

Erin still can't go anywhere or anything without Chad now.  He was there for her recording and again last night for the speech for the girl scouts.  He spoke too, of course.  It's the bashful, second class attitude of the females that gets them.  I don't see Erin's piano slamming to be compatible with her broker's guitar and harmony.

• Love 1