Type keyword(s) to search

Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Time Warp (Yet) Again! (2016 Fox) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Since there was already a PTV story about this show, thought I'd start a thread.  

When I first heard about this, I was skeptical.  I mean, the movie became a 'hit'/cult classic because of the environment of seeing it in the theater with a participating audience.  I've watched the movie at home and its really just not the same thing.  The movie is ok, but its the experience that makes it special.  

But...hearing that Laverne Cox is doing the main character is a huge plus in my book, so I'll definitely be watching this.  Not sure I'll let my kids see this one though.

• Love 2

Agreed, Laverne Cox is amazing. Didn't know she could sing, and now that I know, I really want to hear it!

Tim Curry as the criminologist is a good sign, too! I am officially declaring myself "cautiously hopeful".

You know, I don't fear the remake undermining the original. Why?  Something I bet you all already knew, but didn't try out.

If you live in most US metropolitan areas and simply put the phrase "Rocky Horror" in a Google Search, you know what the top result is likely to be?  That's right. A showtime. Where you can sit your butt down in a theater and see it (and if they have guts, allow you to toss popcorn at the screen). 

I don't think the remake is going to stop that.

Oh, and just so we have it here and don't have to visit other threads, here's the initial trailer they released for the remake:

The bad news is we don't get to see actual evidence that Laverne Cox can sing. The good news is we do see actual evidence she can do a decent Frank voice, albeit perhaps one some might perceive as a bit copycatish (but if she wasn't doing that, I don't know if people would have recognized it AS Frank). 

• Love 1

The original has been shown on LOGO channel a few times. The new version claims to be a loving tribute, which has me wondering if we needed a loving tribute, or to simply watch the original and love it.

I'll watch, because Tim Curry has a role, but other than that ... 

• Love 4

I just saw a commercial that had a few quick clips from the actual show and...it's a pass for me. I can't quite tell if they are trying to parody the original or if the acting is just that bad but I would much rather watch Tim Curry in a corset and garter belt than pretty much anything on earth.

• Love 1

It's not live, it's pre-recorded.  Which, based on the couple of reviews I've seen today, seems like a mistake - apparently, the frame-up is "it's a movie within a movie" so there's cuts to "fans"(which are actors) watching the movie in a theater.  I actually think it might've been a better idea to have actual fans reacting to the new version, but maybe they were worried they wouldn't get the reaction they'd want.  Or, and I say this knowing nothing about the vocal abilities of the cast other than Adam Lambert, I wonder if they were worried most of the cast wouldn't be able to do the songs live.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

@Princess Sparkle Yes, that's been a bit confusing. I wasn't sure where they were going with the audience but the bits and pieces I've heard from the cast 'oh, that was a fun experience,' 'shooting the movie was great' implies that it's already been taped. I'm not sure about all of the cast but there are a few people in there who have experience with live theatre so they should have no problem singing live. But perhaps there are too many moving parts. I wonder if we'll get to the day when they film it in a theatre... like on a stage. 

I'm still prepared to watch tonight as long as it holds my attention.

I'm not sure how I feel about this opening right now with the soloist. It's very static. I expected better from something pre-recorded.

It's not giving me the impression that they had the time to decide on what shots they wanted. The lip-syncing is obvious though.

I know this is the opening song but I wonder how many people already checked out after that.

The thing about recognizable actors is I already saw Reeve (Riff Raff) and Christina Milan at the doors of the church.

1 minute ago, ParadoxLost said:

I know that cutting to the fake audience role playing the movie is a nod to the Rocky Horror Picture Show experience; but I don't think its working.

This. I get what they are trying to do but it takes me out of this. 

Victoria Justice's (Janet's) voice is an interesting blend of strong and breathy. I'm not 100% sold but it's rather pretty. This is giving me a sanitized Glee vibe so far (doesn't help that it's on FOX). 

Reeve Carney (Riff Raff) was Spiderman in the very unfortunate Spiderman Turn off the Dark debacle

Oh, wow. They got William Ivey Long to do the costumes.

5 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I know that cutting to the fake audience role playing the movie is a nod to the Rocky Horror Picture Show experience; but I don't think its working.

Agreed.

What makes it worse is that it DID work the first time (and Ivy Levan just KILLED that opening). It was good as our portal into what followed, but revisiting it constantly just ruins it.

A lack of restraint seems to be the problem here.

Edited by Kromm
7 minutes ago, mustbekarma said:

That's my favorite part.

It would be better if it were a real audience that was actually into the movie rather than actors.  I've seen the original movie shown with filmed audience participation it worked much better than this is.

But now that they are at the movie theater, its getting a lot better.

I'm intrigued by Riff Raff. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Thank goodness Laverne is here to pull this back from mediocrity.

Just now, aradia22 said:

Reeve/Riff Raff is being less creepy and more... sexy. It's like he's just a slightly odd Lestat vampire.

It was pretty creepy when he talked about Janet being... wet.

• Love 1

I don't think Christina really gets what kind of a show she's in. Reeve sounds good singing Time Warp

@Kromm I missed some of that... neighbors down the hall.

Annaleigh Ashford is being so Annaleigh Ashford (top hat... I forget the character's name). I'm into it.

Edited by aradia22

A reminder: The names Trump, Clinton, O'Reilly, or any of its ilk DO NOT BELONG anywhere within the confines of this thread unless they are the last names of actual actors. There is a political forum now. Keep that there, even in jest.

Thus less leeway is given here in this thread.

Thanks and continue on.

• Love 2

Laverne looks amazing. I'm not sure if I'm into the performance yet. Tim Curry is just so iconic.

I think the way this is being filmed, isn't helping Laverne out. God damn it, Kenny Ortega. Be a little more creative.

The disrobing sequence was a great example of what's wrong with this. They kept cutting away. Not that I need to see a pg-13 level of nudity but the fact that the camera seems embarrassed by it is not great for Rocky Horror.

1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah the only thing I can come up with is that this so far is okay? I mean Larvene is awesome but everything else is just.. okay? 

Ivy Levan and her whole opening was better than okay. They just had to ruin it by not leaving it alone (and it's not like we're seeing more of her, just lame shots of the audience doing a weak imitation of what real Rocky Horror audiences do).

Christina Milan is stinking her part up, but Reeve Carney is okay.

Ah there's the lab coat we needed on Laverne.  Sort of.

I'm iffy on Curry. If anything he needs to be even MORE doddering.

Just now, aradia22 said:

The disrobing sequence was a great example of what's wrong with this. They kept cutting away. Not that I need to see a pg-13 level of nudity but the fact that the camera seems embarrassed by it is not great for Rocky Horror.

It IS on at the 8PM hour. We're lucky they actually said the word "Transsexual".

I've never seen a stage production. Is Frank n furter supposed to have any kind of non-American accent? 

Oh, now Ortega feels like moving the camera around? I can't even see if this Rocky is moving his mouth most of the time. 

• Love 1