Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

All My Children

On 8/27/2021 at 3:10 AM, Hiyo said:

Yeah, for me, the show starts to decline circa 1998 or 1999.

I agree. I think the early-to-mid 90's were the glory years of all soaps, particularly the ABC ones.

• Like 1

Rest in peace, Michael Tylo (ex-Matt Connolly #1; real-life ex-husband to Deborah Morehart, a.k.a. Hunter Tylo, ex-Robin McCall. I believe they met on set at AMC!).

I know he is more known for Guiding Light, but I never watched that and remember his Matt being a rough-around-the-edges mercenary for a time until he was softened to play a romantic hero type.

So many great actors are leaving us. 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Rest in peace, Michael Tylo (ex-Matt Connolly #1; real-life ex-husband to Deborah Morehart, a.k.a. Hunter Tylo, ex-Robin McCall. I believe they met on set at AMC!).

I know he is more known for Guiding Light, but I never watched that and remember his Matt being a rough-around-the-edges mercenary for a time until he was softened to play a romantic hero type.

So many great actors are leaving us. 😢

I loved his character and I've never forgotten him in that role.  He was great with Nina and never took any crap from Erica.  

Darnell Williams guest starred on "Our Kind Of People" with Debbie Morgan: "“We were shooting the scene when Darnell’s character walks through the door for the first time,” Morgan reveals to TVLine. “And it was the first time we see this character on the show, and I looked at him and shouted, ‘Jesse!’ The director had to yell cut and everyone fell out laughing. It was hilarious. I knew that wasn’t his name on Our Kind of People but I couldn’t help myself. We worked together for so many years as Angie and Jesse and that’s the first thing that came to my mind.”

https://tvline.com/2022/01/17/our-kind-of-people-preview-all-my-children-reunion-debbi-morgan-darnell-williams/?fbclid=IwAR2peYF_e_nU8VkefP5lMHKavJCCcDiH5wa8K5KMcUIkJzM1A6Kivi_p7tk

• Like 3

I'm trying to understand Hayley's origin story- so she shows up at the end of 1990 as a high school junior, right? Then they recast her love interest Brian from a sweet high school boy to a hunky 22-year old in February of 1991 and then she's a prom queen? Yet she never actually graduates high school because in what should be her senior year she's being chased by sexy Will Courtland, right? Did they SORAS her slightly to make her pairing with Will less creepy? Did they just handwave away Hayley never actually graduating high school by giving her a GED? I am so confused right now. In 1996 she talks as if she actually really attended Pine Valley High but if I'm getting everything right, she was only there for one semester before dropping out and getting her GED. Yet again, she still won Prom Queen? What?

I can see why they kept Hayley because as annoying as her character was, Kelly Ripa's personal charisma was undeniable. I still think it's funny they decided to immediately drop her goth look when Brian got recast.

I am yet again reminded of what a great character Trevor was and what absolutely bullshit it was that he was killed off to service another Janet from another Planet story.

It's also funny to remember that All My Children really was consistent with having a "teen scene" all throughout it's entire run- GH didn't do one until the early 80's with Blackie and Days of Our Lives didn't really have one until Jennifer and Frankie in 1987.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm trying to understand Hayley's origin story- so she shows up at the end of 1990 as a high school junior, right? Then they recast her love interest Brian from a sweet high school boy to a hunky 22-year old in February of 1991 and then she's a prom queen? Yet she never actually graduates high school because in what should be her senior year she's being chased by sexy Will Courtland, right? Did they SORAS her slightly to make her pairing with Will less creepy? Did they just handwave away Hayley never actually graduating high school by giving her a GED? I am so confused right now. In 1996 she talks as if she actually really attended Pine Valley High but if I'm getting everything right, she was only there for one semester before dropping out and getting her GED. Yet again, she still won Prom Queen? What?

All I remember from back then was she went from failing Algebra 1 (which I took in 8th grade) as a junior to becoming CEO of her dad's company in like a year. I was in school then so my watching was sporadic, but I knew then that if she was failing Alg 1 she wasn't running any kind of multimillion-dollar company!!  Your post brings back the gripes I gave to my grandmother and aunt on that subject!  😂

• Laugh 1

2 hours ago, princelina said:

All I remember from back then was she went from failing Algebra 1 (which I took in 8th grade) as a junior to becoming CEO of her dad's company in like a year. I was in school then so my watching was sporadic, but I knew then that if she was failing Alg 1 she wasn't running any kind of multimillion-dollar company!!  Your post brings back the gripes I gave to my grandmother and aunt on that subject!  😂

The best explanation I can think of is that Hayley was what we call a "quiet SORAS", where the show basically retconned it that Hayley graduated in 1991 despite the fact that it should have just been her junior year. They reinforced that retcon in 1996 when Brian shows up and everyone treats Hayley like she's a Pine Valley High alum of a drop out. LOL

I think the show decided that Hayley was no longer in high school to accommodate her storyline with Will Courtland in the second half of 1991. Still, it's extremely weird that Hayley has to worry about her mother forcing her to move back to Chicago and then a few months later she's old enough to be married.

I did really like her chemistry with both Brians. It is funny how the first Brian looked like a high school kid like she did, and was barely taller than Kelly, while the second Brian looks about 25 and towers over her. He had a completely different vibe and a thick New Yawk accent.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 12:02 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I am yet again reminded of what a great character Trevor was and what absolutely bullshit it was that he was killed off to service another Janet from another Planet story.

I think that they did that to accommodate Kate Collins who reprised the role of Janet who did not want to work with James as Trevor. 

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I was never a fan of Janet and Trevor falling in love becoming a happy family with Timmy and Amanda.  I always thought that they were better as antagonists. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 12:02 AM, methodwriter85 said:

It's also funny to remember that All My Children really was consistent with having a "teen scene" all throughout it's entire run-

Yes, they were, and I liked that. They're one of the few shows that nailed it consistently.

As far as Hayley, I remember her and Brian going to the prom in 1992, but they had to attend summer school because of the time that they'd missed what with the whole Will Cortlandt thing. That said, I'm pretty sure she never went to college, so indeed, her running a multi-million dollar company was highly unlikely, failing algebra or not. 

This all makes me realize how much I really hate the way soaps played games with the time frames of people's ages and their education.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Like 1

It's also funny to remember that All My Children really was consistent with having a "teen scene" all throughout it's entire run-

Agnes Nixon did, from the start, want one of the elements of the show to be about young love...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Agnes Nixon did, from the start, want one of the elements of the show to be about young love...

Another thing that I noticed about Agnes Nixon is that she created two protagonists on two different shows  Erica Kane on All my children and Victoria Lord on One Life to Live who had complex relationships with their father because Agnes was abandoned by her own father in real life.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

20 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Another thing that I noticed about Agnes Nixon is that she created two protagonists on two different shows  Erica Kane on All my children and Victoria Lord on One Life to Live who had complex relationships with their father because Agnes was abandoned by her own father in real life.  

She created Rachel on Another World, too. I'm pretty sure her backstory was that her father walked out on her and Ada.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Rachel was the prototype for Erica.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Rachel was the prototype for Erica.

The original Rachel on another world was played by Robin Strasser who played Dorian lord on One Life To Live.

• Like 1

Yeah, Strasser was the fourth Dorian, though she definitely made the role her own.

Funny enough, in-between AW and OLTL, she also appeared on AMC for a few years in the late 70s.

There are a few clips of Robin Strasser as Rachel on Youtube, and it’s striking how similar she is to Lucci’s Erica, in terms of characterization and even physically. Make you wonder if they thought about going after Lucci to take over as Rachel when Strasser left. Would have been a step up for Lucci since AW was one of top rated shows at the time, and AMC was in the ratings basement (as most new soaps are).

On 4/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, Hiyo said:

Yeah, Strasser was the fourth Dorian, though she definitely made the role her own.

Funny enough, in-between AW and OLTL, she also appeared on AMC for a few years in the late 70s.

I remember that.  She played Dr. Christina Karras, if memory serves, the fiancee of another doctor, David Thornton, who Ruth Martin had a crush on.  She and Joe, at the time, were at odds over Tara and Philip. 

She played the role from 1976 to 1979.  Her character ended up marrying Jeff Martin and they left Pine Valley.

Good times!

Edited by boes

On 5/8/2022 at 8:03 PM, boes said:

I remember that.  She played Dr. Christina Karras, if memory serves, the fiancee of another doctor, David Thornton, who Ruth Martin had a crush on.  She and Joe, at the time, were at odds over Tara and Philip. 

She played the role from 1976 to 1979.  Her character ended up marrying Jeff Martin and they left Pine Valley.

Good times!

Was she a vixen or was she a heroine?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Was she a vixen or was she a heroine?  

She wasn't really either one.  She was a very good doctor who had a very tangled relationship with her dead father, who had also been a doctor.  In some ways, now that I think of it, it reflected Vicki's relationship to her father on OLTL - after it was retconned.

Christina was suspected of having murdered her fiancee, David Thornton - who Ruth Martin had an emotional affair with and Jeff Martin, a doctor she worked with at Pine Valley Hospital helped prove she didn't do it.  I remember she was so disturbed that she had visions of her dead father, telling her to do things, which is why she wasn't sure if she'd murdered her fiancee or not.  After she was cleared, she got some psychiatric help.  Those two married - his first wife had died - and she and Jeff left Pine Valley because she wasn't comfortable with how close he was to his family.  

For decades, when Jeff was mentioned on the show, he and Christina were still married.  Eventually when Jeff Martin returned to Pine Valley, he and Christina had divorced.

Damn, I remember wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much from AMC's early days!

• Useful 2

22 hours ago, boes said:

For decades, when Jeff was mentioned on the show, he and Christina were still married.  Eventually when Jeff Martin returned to Pine Valley, he and Christina had divorced.

It's been ages since I saw this period of the show, but was the story that they divorced because she became addicted to pills? I know that Jeff was involved with Mark's intervention and I think the circumstances of the divorce came up in that context (though, again, it's been ages so I might have this wrong).

• Like 1