Type keyword(s) to search

All My Children - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/27/2021 at 3:10 AM, Hiyo said:

Yeah, for me, the show starts to decline circa 1998 or 1999.

I agree. I think the early-to-mid 90's were the glory years of all soaps, particularly the ABC ones.

• Love 1

Rest in peace, Michael Tylo (ex-Matt Connolly #1; real-life ex-husband to Deborah Morehart, a.k.a. Hunter Tylo, ex-Robin McCall. I believe they met on set at AMC!).

I know he is more known for Guiding Light, but I never watched that and remember his Matt being a rough-around-the-edges mercenary for a time until he was softened to play a romantic hero type.

So many great actors are leaving us. 😢

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Rest in peace, Michael Tylo (ex-Matt Connolly #1; real-life ex-husband to Deborah Morehart, a.k.a. Hunter Tylo, ex-Robin McCall. I believe they met on set at AMC!).

I know he is more known for Guiding Light, but I never watched that and remember his Matt being a rough-around-the-edges mercenary for a time until he was softened to play a romantic hero type.

So many great actors are leaving us. 😢

I loved his character and I've never forgotten him in that role.  He was great with Nina and never took any crap from Erica.  

Darnell Williams guest starred on "Our Kind Of People" with Debbie Morgan: "“We were shooting the scene when Darnell’s character walks through the door for the first time,” Morgan reveals to TVLine. “And it was the first time we see this character on the show, and I looked at him and shouted, ‘Jesse!’ The director had to yell cut and everyone fell out laughing. It was hilarious. I knew that wasn’t his name on Our Kind of People but I couldn’t help myself. We worked together for so many years as Angie and Jesse and that’s the first thing that came to my mind.”

https://tvline.com/2022/01/17/our-kind-of-people-preview-all-my-children-reunion-debbi-morgan-darnell-williams/?fbclid=IwAR2peYF_e_nU8VkefP5lMHKavJCCcDiH5wa8K5KMcUIkJzM1A6Kivi_p7tk

• Love 3

I'm trying to understand Hayley's origin story- so she shows up at the end of 1990 as a high school junior, right? Then they recast her love interest Brian from a sweet high school boy to a hunky 22-year old in February of 1991 and then she's a prom queen? Yet she never actually graduates high school because in what should be her senior year she's being chased by sexy Will Courtland, right? Did they SORAS her slightly to make her pairing with Will less creepy? Did they just handwave away Hayley never actually graduating high school by giving her a GED? I am so confused right now. In 1996 she talks as if she actually really attended Pine Valley High but if I'm getting everything right, she was only there for one semester before dropping out and getting her GED. Yet again, she still won Prom Queen? What?

I can see why they kept Hayley because as annoying as her character was, Kelly Ripa's personal charisma was undeniable. I still think it's funny they decided to immediately drop her goth look when Brian got recast.

I am yet again reminded of what a great character Trevor was and what absolutely bullshit it was that he was killed off to service another Janet from another Planet story.

It's also funny to remember that All My Children really was consistent with having a "teen scene" all throughout it's entire run- GH didn't do one until the early 80's with Blackie and Days of Our Lives didn't really have one until Jennifer and Frankie in 1987.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm trying to understand Hayley's origin story- so she shows up at the end of 1990 as a high school junior, right? Then they recast her love interest Brian from a sweet high school boy to a hunky 22-year old in February of 1991 and then she's a prom queen? Yet she never actually graduates high school because in what should be her senior year she's being chased by sexy Will Courtland, right? Did they SORAS her slightly to make her pairing with Will less creepy? Did they just handwave away Hayley never actually graduating high school by giving her a GED? I am so confused right now. In 1996 she talks as if she actually really attended Pine Valley High but if I'm getting everything right, she was only there for one semester before dropping out and getting her GED. Yet again, she still won Prom Queen? What?

All I remember from back then was she went from failing Algebra 1 (which I took in 8th grade) as a junior to becoming CEO of her dad's company in like a year. I was in school then so my watching was sporadic, but I knew then that if she was failing Alg 1 she wasn't running any kind of multimillion-dollar company!!  Your post brings back the gripes I gave to my grandmother and aunt on that subject!  😂

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, princelina said:

All I remember from back then was she went from failing Algebra 1 (which I took in 8th grade) as a junior to becoming CEO of her dad's company in like a year. I was in school then so my watching was sporadic, but I knew then that if she was failing Alg 1 she wasn't running any kind of multimillion-dollar company!!  Your post brings back the gripes I gave to my grandmother and aunt on that subject!  😂

The best explanation I can think of is that Hayley was what we call a "quiet SORAS", where the show basically retconned it that Hayley graduated in 1991 despite the fact that it should have just been her junior year. They reinforced that retcon in 1996 when Brian shows up and everyone treats Hayley like she's a Pine Valley High alum of a drop out. LOL

I think the show decided that Hayley was no longer in high school to accommodate her storyline with Will Courtland in the second half of 1991. Still, it's extremely weird that Hayley has to worry about her mother forcing her to move back to Chicago and then a few months later she's old enough to be married.

I did really like her chemistry with both Brians. It is funny how the first Brian looked like a high school kid like she did, and was barely taller than Kelly, while the second Brian looks about 25 and towers over her. He had a completely different vibe and a thick New Yawk accent.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 12:02 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I am yet again reminded of what a great character Trevor was and what absolutely bullshit it was that he was killed off to service another Janet from another Planet story.

I think that they did that to accommodate Kate Collins who reprised the role of Janet who did not want to work with James as Trevor. 

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I was never a fan of Janet and Trevor falling in love becoming a happy family with Timmy and Amanda.  I always thought that they were better as antagonists. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
On 4/19/2022 at 12:02 AM, methodwriter85 said:

It's also funny to remember that All My Children really was consistent with having a "teen scene" all throughout it's entire run-

Yes, they were, and I liked that. They're one of the few shows that nailed it consistently.

As far as Hayley, I remember her and Brian going to the prom in 1992, but they had to attend summer school because of the time that they'd missed what with the whole Will Cortlandt thing. That said, I'm pretty sure she never went to college, so indeed, her running a multi-million dollar company was highly unlikely, failing algebra or not. 

This all makes me realize how much I really hate the way soaps played games with the time frames of people's ages and their education.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 1

It's also funny to remember that All My Children really was consistent with having a "teen scene" all throughout it's entire run-

Agnes Nixon did, from the start, want one of the elements of the show to be about young love...

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Agnes Nixon did, from the start, want one of the elements of the show to be about young love...

Another thing that I noticed about Agnes Nixon is that she created two protagonists on two different shows  Erica Kane on All my children and Victoria Lord on One Life to Live who had complex relationships with their father because Agnes was abandoned by her own father in real life.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Another thing that I noticed about Agnes Nixon is that she created two protagonists on two different shows  Erica Kane on All my children and Victoria Lord on One Life to Live who had complex relationships with their father because Agnes was abandoned by her own father in real life.  

She created Rachel on Another World, too. I'm pretty sure her backstory was that her father walked out on her and Ada.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, Strasser was the fourth Dorian, though she definitely made the role her own.

Funny enough, in-between AW and OLTL, she also appeared on AMC for a few years in the late 70s.

There are a few clips of Robin Strasser as Rachel on Youtube, and it’s striking how similar she is to Lucci’s Erica, in terms of characterization and even physically. Make you wonder if they thought about going after Lucci to take over as Rachel when Strasser left. Would have been a step up for Lucci since AW was one of top rated shows at the time, and AMC was in the ratings basement (as most new soaps are).

(edited)
On 4/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, Hiyo said:

Yeah, Strasser was the fourth Dorian, though she definitely made the role her own.

Funny enough, in-between AW and OLTL, she also appeared on AMC for a few years in the late 70s.

I remember that.  She played Dr. Christina Karras, if memory serves, the fiancee of another doctor, David Thornton, who Ruth Martin had a crush on.  She and Joe, at the time, were at odds over Tara and Philip. 

She played the role from 1976 to 1979.  Her character ended up marrying Jeff Martin and they left Pine Valley.

Good times!

Edited by boes
On 5/8/2022 at 8:03 PM, boes said:

I remember that.  She played Dr. Christina Karras, if memory serves, the fiancee of another doctor, David Thornton, who Ruth Martin had a crush on.  She and Joe, at the time, were at odds over Tara and Philip. 

She played the role from 1976 to 1979.  Her character ended up marrying Jeff Martin and they left Pine Valley.

Good times!

Was she a vixen or was she a heroine?  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Was she a vixen or was she a heroine?  

She wasn't really either one.  She was a very good doctor who had a very tangled relationship with her dead father, who had also been a doctor.  In some ways, now that I think of it, it reflected Vicki's relationship to her father on OLTL - after it was retconned.

Christina was suspected of having murdered her fiancee, David Thornton - who Ruth Martin had an emotional affair with and Jeff Martin, a doctor she worked with at Pine Valley Hospital helped prove she didn't do it.  I remember she was so disturbed that she had visions of her dead father, telling her to do things, which is why she wasn't sure if she'd murdered her fiancee or not.  After she was cleared, she got some psychiatric help.  Those two married - his first wife had died - and she and Jeff left Pine Valley because she wasn't comfortable with how close he was to his family.  

For decades, when Jeff was mentioned on the show, he and Christina were still married.  Eventually when Jeff Martin returned to Pine Valley, he and Christina had divorced.

Damn, I remember wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much from AMC's early days!

• Useful 2
22 hours ago, boes said:

For decades, when Jeff was mentioned on the show, he and Christina were still married.  Eventually when Jeff Martin returned to Pine Valley, he and Christina had divorced.

It's been ages since I saw this period of the show, but was the story that they divorced because she became addicted to pills? I know that Jeff was involved with Mark's intervention and I think the circumstances of the divorce came up in that context (though, again, it's been ages so I might have this wrong).

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/25/2022 at 4:05 PM, Hiyo said:

Rachel was the prototype for Erica.

Erica was actually created on paper first.  Agnes created the AMC bible and the network did not ok, she went to write for Another World and borrowed heavily from her ideas for Erica and Mona when she created Rachel and her mother.   A few years later when she had success with her writing for Another World and her creation of One Life to Life, ABC asked her to create another soap and her husband suggested pulling the AMC bible from out of her drawer.

I am pretty sure Hayley was only 18 when married to Will, but they really kind of ignored the whole high school thing at that time.  She was after all working for her step-Mom at Enchantment -- and was brilliant with her work on the teen line.   I do remember being annoyed when she was CEO of Enchantment and she would answer the phone.  "Speak to Me!" in a not so professional manner.  I also remember the phone she pulled from her purse was basically a cordless phone that they pretended was a cell phone [speaking of remembering minutia.  Mid-80s to mid-90s I remember some really small details,  After about 2000, with the exception of a few story lines - have blocked a lot of it out. ] My favorite thing about early Hayley is how she went from being hostile towards alcohol due to her mother to being a full-blown alcoholic from about a sip of champagne.  

Now the reason I came to post here vent, even though no one will probably see this for about three months.  I feel down a YouTube rabbit hole and came across the episode where Skye filled in Travis on how he and Erica were before he had amnesia and she was trying to win him back. This was during a semester where I really only could watch the show if on break and most of my updates were from the Monday newspaper where the entertainment section would have a soap recap column.  Now for the venting...

While I normally would not defend Erica who is probably responsible for about 95% of her relationship collapses, but how big of a sanctimonious hypocrite is Travis?  Completely blames her for destroying the marriage even saying - I thought I had amnesia because I did something bad (well - you tried to fake your own kidnapping and it led to Bianca getting kidnapped because you were dealing with criminals and then thought you were cleverer than them).  He also conveniently ignored the fact that Erica did tell him he did not know everything when he decided to sleep with her and she tried to put a stop on it, and he said - who cares - I just want to hit the sheets.  I could why he could not get past Erica's actions in Sea City and her keeping things a secret as she tried to win him back, but I don't think he ever acknowledged his blame in the first marriage at all.   Even when he was trying to win her back when she was engaged to Jack, I think he said some vague things like - we were both angry etc.   

After both marriage collapses, he really came off as vindictive and vengeful, while the show seemed to try and have it both ways that he was a good guy.  Selling your shares of Enchantment to your daughter's mother's worst enemy to make her life hell and hope she will lose her company does not seem to be in the best interest of the child.  If he would not have left the show, I am curious if they would have had him become more of an amoral Palmer type or shift him back to white hat and ignore his less than noble actions.

Again, Erica is not exactly innocent in either marriage falling apart, but damn Travis really felt he was superior and it was all Erica's fault.

End of my vent that I guess I have needed to say since 1988...

Edited by CCTC
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

https://www.soapsindepth.com/posts/one-life-to-live/soap-alum-forbes-march-arrested

Soap Alum Forbes March Arrested

Former soap star Forbes March was arrested in Hudson County, New York, on March 2 after he and another man were caught stealing used cooking oil at a restaurant. According to the Ulster Police Department, March and his accomplice, Oscar Guardado, were charged with grand larceny.

The incident occurred at Michael’s Diner, where March and Guardado siphoned used cooking oil from a storage container at the rear of the restaurant. According to the police, the storage container is owned by Buffalo Biodiesel and had an estimated value of over $1,000.

The theft of cooking oil has risen in recent years because it can be converted to biodiesel, an alternative to petroleum diesel. While renewable biodiesel can be used for transportation fuel and heating fuel, the grease can also be used in soaps, shampoos, detergents, and more.

March is best known to daytime audiences for his run as ONE LIFE TO LIVE’s Nash Brennan, the role he played from 2005 to 2008. The actor’s pairing with Bree Williamson’s Jessica was a hit with viewers, and their characters were one of soapdom’s popular supercouples at the time. Before his time in Llanview, the actor played ALL MY CHILDREN’s Scott Chandler from 1998-2000, and following his OLTL run, he briefly moved over to AS THE WORLD TURNS as Mason Jarvis in 2009. March’s character, the professor who was Noah’s advisor at the Oakdale University film program, was intended to spice up the soap’s gay storyline, but the Noah/Luke/Mason triangle was dropped before it ever got off the ground.

March went on to appear in a handful of DEGRASSI: THE NEXT GENERATION episodes in 2010 before retiring from show business and forming New York Firewood Company, a wood supplier for restaurants and private residences, based out of his small farm in the Catskill Mountains.

Both March and Guardado were charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree and are scheduled to appear in Ulster Town Court at a later date, said the Ulster PD’s Facebook post.

• Sad 1

https://deadline.com/2023/03/forbes-march-oil-theft-charge-response-frivolous-charges-1235300209/#comments

Forbes March Responds To Oil Theft Allegation: Ex-Soap Star Says “Poorly Marked” Container Led To Misunderstanding And “Frivolous Charges”

EXCLUSIVE: An attorney for Forbes March, the former star of such soaps as One Life to Live and All My Children who was arrested earlier this month in New York State for the alleged theft of used cooking oil, has responded to the charge in an exclusive statement to Deadline saying that March operates a legitimate oil collection service and that a “poorly marked and seemingly abandoned” container was mistaken for one of the containers legally serviced by March’s company.

“While not readily apparent to Forbes that day due to the poor markings,” reads the statement released by attorney Jared K. Hart, “one of the containers in fact allegedly belonged to Buffalo Biodiesel. Approximately 90 gallons of oil, only a portion of the oil collected that evening, allegedly came from the Biodiesel container that appeared abandoned and contained mostly dirty rainwater that would later have to be separated out.

“There was never an intent to steal nor permanently deprive another company of their alleged cooking oil,” the statement continues.

March is expected to appear in an Ulster court to formally answer the charge on March 28.

March and another man were arrested in Hudson County, New York, earlier this month and charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree for the alleged theft of used cooking oil from an Ulster, New York, restaurant called Michael’s Diner. (Used cooking oil can be used to manufacture biofuels, and oil theft has been on the rise in recent years.)

According to an Ulster Police Department report, the value of the oil exceeded $1,000, hence the larceny charge.

But March’s lawyer says that the relatively small amount of oil taken from the Buffalo Biodiesel container is worth at most $300, and that March immediately offered to pump the oil back into the container but that the oil was taken into custody by the police.

According to the statement, March, who owns and operates a firewood delivery company based out of his farm in the Catskill Mountains that provides services to restaurants, purchased an existing used oil collection route in early February as a supplement to his existing business.

“Forbes’ existing business had the infrastructure in place to segue into the biodiesel collection market,” the statement reads. “Michaels Diner was on that purchased route.”

“Unbeknownst to Forbes, another company called Buffalo Biodiesel also had a container at Michaels Diner and apparently had not serviced this restaurant in over six (6) months; yet this restaurant had been regularly serviced by the company Forbes bought the route from. At Forbes’ first visit to the location, several containers were present in which Forbes was led to believe were all his containers. The containers were poorly marked and seemingly abandoned but oil had been stored in them. The owner confirmed with Forbes that day that the oil was there for him to collect. All of the containers present, except for one, were properly stored for Forbes to collect.”

March’s attorney writes that the legal case against his client “is nothing more than a civil matter trumped up to be made to look criminal because a competitor in the biodiesel market failed in their obligations to service their customer.”

Deadline has reached out to Buffalo Biodiesel and will update this post with a response. The company routinely tweets near-daily reports of thefts from its oil containers; a retweet of Deadline’s previous article about March is pinned atop the company’s Twitter page.

In the attorney statement, Hart describes March as “a contributing member to society his entire life and has never had any issues with law enforcement. His goal in running this newly formed business was to contribute to the alternate energy resources available and he was in a unique position to be able to do so. We are disappointed that Forbes’ efforts as a volunteer with children, refugees, the arts, as a first responder and more will forever be overshadowed by these frivolous charges.”

The statement concludes with, “We appreciate the privacy the press has extended to Forbes’ family and look forward to putting this matter behind Forbes as he continues with his legitimate business activities and public service.”

As an actor, March had roles on various daytime serials beginning with All My Children in 1999, then One Life to Live from 2005-08 and on As the World Turns in 2009. Other TV credits include the Canadian sci-fi series Mutant X, Degrassi: The Next Generation and the 2010 TV movie Degrassi Takes Manhattan. He retired from acting before starting his restaurant service company in New York’s Catskill Mountain region.

The attorney statement in its entirety is as follows:

In early February, Forbes purchased an existing used oil collection route through a known business listing service to supplement another of Forbes’ existing businesses which also provides goods and services to
restaurants. Forbes’ existing business had the infrastructure in place to segway into the biodiesel collection market. Michaels Diner was on that purchased route.

Part of the collection process involves placing specific containers at restaurants for the oil to be stored and then picked up. Containers had been present at Michaels Diner for months preceding the purchase of the route by Forbes. The manager of Michaels Diner has confirmed that his diner was in fact a customer of the business. Unbeknownst to Forbes, another company called Buffalo Biodiesel also had a container at Michaels Diner and apparently had not serviced this restaurant in over six (6) months; yet this restaurant had been regularly serviced by the company Forbes bought the route from. At Forbes’ first visit to the location, several containers were present in which Forbes was led to believe were all his containers. The containers were poorly marked and seemingly abandoned but oil had been stored in them. The owner confirmed with Forbes that day that the oil was there for him to collect. All of the containers present, except for one, were properly stored for Forbes to collect.

While not readily apparent to Forbes that day due to the poor markings, one of the containers in fact allegedly belonged to Buffalo Biodiesel. Approximately 90 gallons of oil, only a portion of the oil collected that evening, allegedly came from the Biodiesel container that appeared abandoned and contained mostly dirty rainwater that would later have to be separated out.

There was never an intent to steal nor permanently deprive another company of their alleged cooking oil. The oil was offered to be pumped back in immediately and is in fact currently being held by law enforcement. The market value of the alleged oil removed from the Buffalo Biodiesel container is at most $300.00. The facts and circumstances are extremely overblown, and this is nothing more than a civil matter trumped up to be made to look criminal because a competitor in the biodiesel market failed in their obligations to service their customer.

Forbes has been a contributing member to society his entire life and has never had any issues with law enforcement. His goal in running this newly formed business was to contribute to the alternate energy resources available and he was in a unique position to be able to do so. We are disappointed that Forbes’ efforts as a volunteer with children, refugees, the arts, as a first responder and more will forever be overshadowed by these frivolous charges.

We appreciate the privacy the press has extended to Forbes’ family and look forward to putting this matter behind Forbes as he continues with his legitimate business activities and public service.

(edited)
6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I probably wasn't watching then so I don't know much about this character but he was so young. Did they give a COD?

No COD from 2 articles I read.

He played rock star Zarf who then came out as a transgender woman named Zoe. She and Bianca fell in love and moved to Europe and later broke up

The media is saying Zarf/Zoe was the first transgender character in daytime, but didn’t The Bold and the Beautiful do it first?

Edited by DanaK
12 minutes ago, DanaK said:

He played rock star Zarf who then came out as a transgender woman named Zoe. She and Bianca fell in love and moved to Europe and later broke up

The media is saying Zarf/Zoe was the first transgender character in daytime, but didn’t The Bold and the Beautiful do it first?

No, that character was only around 5 or 6 years back.

I'm sorry to hear he died, he took a lot of crap for that role.

To be honest, the character was badly written and the storyline, horrific.  But the show's intentions were good.

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wasn't that character (never watched that soap) already transitioned? I think Zoe/Zarf was the first to still be actively transitioning?

Yes, I believe so

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

No AMC did 

6 hours ago, boes said:

I'm sorry to hear he died, he took a lot of crap for that role.

To be honest, the character was badly written and the storyline, horrific.  But the show's intentions were good.

He had a great voice but I wasn't too surprised though that he never went back into the soap opera world after it. (Well, he was a Broadway guy and NYC soaps only had about 3-4 years left after he did AMC.) 

• Like 1