Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

A little change of subject here. I work part-time as a proofreader/copy editor.  Lo and behold, today I happened upon a job where a bus full of seniors traveled to PAWHUSKA!  The Merc was a stop as well as the OSAGE COUNTY Museum. There really wasn't an article, just a bunch of photos with captions. A relative of somebody worked at the Merc and they ate lunch there. There were actually only two photos of the Merc. One was of the person I just mentioned and the other looked like it was in the dining area of the Merc. No Drummonds to be seen. The rest of the pictures were random shots of scenery.

So now we know where part of Ree's foot traffic originates. I'll bet they gets tons of busloads of senior citizens who stop by. That makes me think that they have to take reservations. There is no way a group of elderly people with walkers and rollators will stand out in the hot sun for hours to get a table. So much for trying to create false "demand." /eyeroll.

• Love 3
(edited)

So, now we know, grisgris.  It does stand to reason that if Ree wants any kind of "traffic" at the Merc, she has to import spenders from far and wide.  She must employ someone to beat the bushes and place ads in senior publications or send out letters, etc.  I wonder whether that's part of Hy's job.  I can't say that visiting Pawhuska and the Merc is high up there on my bucket list, but then again, if you're stuck in a retirement home with little to do, anything would be a diversion.

As for Ree's awful tops, if any come from Anthropologie, there's a chance that Giada's ex designed them.  He's a designer for Anthro.  Somehow, I thought that Todd had better taste, but he did marry Giada!

I clearly remember Ree explaining her tops on the air.  (She must have had it with the complaints.)  It seems to me that she patted her tummy and said, "I had four children," as if we needed a reminder.  She's self-conscious about her paunch.  Maybe she should spring for a girdle and wear something more flattering.  And cut off her hair while she's at it.  On these warm days, she makes me hot just looking at her.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2
(edited)

Giada must have gotten all the pretty tops.  

ETA: Of course she did, she's Giada.  Ree apparently leans toward the Secret Buyer's Menu (aka the Frumpy Colorbind Clown line) at Anthropologie.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 4

She was on the kitchen this morning making blueberry cobbler.  You can see photos of this on her twitter page.  I saw this on tv.  She talks way too loud.  She interrupted all of them.  She is so boisterous.  She wore ugly jewelry, especially the earrings, they looked like upside down horse shoes.  She looked kind of overweight around the middle.  I should not be so nasty, as I am not perfect either.  One thing she should be called out on is the lie she told on air "We live so far out in the country."  Ten minutes from a town, even a small one,  to me is not that far out.  She is perpetuating the lie that they are isolated down home folk.  Most real country women also don't get to fly to New York on a regular basis and be on national television.  Sunny on the kitchen told Ree that she seems so relaxed on her show (!!!!!!?????).  Stop lying Sunny.  I noticed that Ree interrupts people when she is on these types of shows.  Maybe just nerves?  Lura, I think that Giada is cute, so I can't fault Todd for marrying her.  The thing about her that can be frowned upon is that she is a serial adulteress with Bobby Flay, John Mayer and a list of others.  I read these things both online, and when I am at the grocery store, I grab a trashy tabloid while waiting in line and read.  Not my best character trait.  On her twitter page if you scroll down you see re- tweets of people that took selfies at the merc and said that they drove 700 miles and it was so worth it.  On one picture though in the background there were no other customers in the dining area.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Wait she lives 10 minutes from town?!?! I drive 45 minutes to work on a good day! Shut up Ree 

on a side note reading that there was a pic with no customers in the background at the Merc gives me life. I'm petty yes I am! ??

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, SanLynn said:

I'm petty yes I am! ??

Pull up a chair, SanLynn, and join the rest of us who are also petty!  Naw, I'll speak only for myself.

There is a series of essays written by a woman who loves to snark as much as we do.  In fact, she would fit right in here.  Most of them are pretty hilarious and deal with shows we've all seen.  She has also done essays on Ree's recipes, the cabbage casserole that Ree made for Edna Mae, Ree's tops, and many other subjects including "There's Dirt in My Vagina."  One of my favorites so far is "Road Trip to Drummond Territory." 

http://www.ThePioneerWomanSux.com.  You'll probably land on a site about essays, but if you scroll down far enough, you'll find some links to some of her writings.  They're good for a giggle if you need one.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, SanLynn said:

Wait she lives 10 minutes from town?!?! I drive 45 minutes to work on a good day! Shut up Ree 

on a side note reading that there was a pic with no customers in the background at the Merc gives me life. I'm petty yes I am! ??

Of all the bullshit she foists on the public, this is the one that just pisses me off to no end.  I lived on a farm ranch that was, in the early days, 10 minutes from a "bare necessities" small town grocyer store.  It was 20 minutes to a slightly "bigger" store, and almost an hour to a "really decent" grocery store that sold the kind of stuff Ms. Drummond cooks with.  So don't EVEN tell me how you live in the f&^K-in "middle of nowhere," you pasty-white-does-not-lift-a-finger-around-the-ranch grifter, and neither do any of your pasty-white offspring.  Just saying

• Love 6

Wow, today, Sunday, is a back to back PW fest on the food network.  Food network should have waited until tomorrow for this, as most of her fans spend almost the entire Sunday at their Calvinist church services.  

• Love 1

I accidentally caught Ree pushing her cookbook on FOX's morning show.  As if that weren't enough, I watched a saved episode of the Kitchen, and who should be on there pushing her cookbook?  You guessed it.  GZ got up and helped her with her cobbler topping, and she was so grateful that she couldn't thank him enough.  Both appearances were bad.  She acted like she'd never seen a TV camera before.  A total amateur. 

• Love 1

TPTB at Food Network/Scripps apparently do not pay attention to PW because otherwise, they wouldn't ever do a mini-marathon of her show. More than two episodes back-to-back shine a spotlight on how repetitive *her* recipes are. One time I was looking at the guide episode summaries for a PW mini-marathon and each episode had a lemonade recipe. Talk about padding. That's something you show once and explain how to substitute other fruits and citrus.

Today was an episode for white sandwich bread with blue cheese and chive butter and I was pleasantly surprised at the fact that she made the bread from scratch and it wasn't going to be some crap like "The Bread" which is just store-bought Italian bread with butter.

I remember long ago when I bought her first cookbook (I know, but this was way before the show when I actually kind of liked her) and she had a full page dedicated to Ladd's ass. I was looking at it wondering what she was seeing that I wasn't because his ass is pancake flat. Like there's room in the seat of his jeans and the chaps have nothing to cup around flat. I'm glad she still finds her husband sexy, but the audience doesn't need that illustrated, especially when it's so subjective. Just say, "Twenty years on, I still think my husband is a sexy bitch," and be done with it.

And Ree has never been able to find a balance between city girl and country girl. She only vacillates to each extreme instead of either finding that balance or sticking with one extreme. If you're going to go country girl, you have to go full country girl: canning, pickling, using the homegrown produce from the garden, actually being active in the day-to-day ranch duties (like getting up at the asscrack of down to help with the cattle with the rest of the fam and not just taking pictures, especially not taking photos of your crying preschooler who is about to be in mortal danger with a horse) as well as the domestic chores, etc. You can't go city girl when you want to avoid the more tedious aspects of living in the country. I'm also not surprised that the trip to the grocery store only takes ten minutes. She's been dishonest about a lot of the base characteristics upon which she built herself, so why not the fact that it doesn't take an hour or more to hit up a big grocery store. Sure it's not my suburban life where I have about two of each six different grocery stores within a 10-15 minute drive, but still. 

• Love 4
On 7/21/2017 at 4:43 PM, cathy said:

Those flowy tops are expensive.  She gets many from anthropologie, they are about $70.00 a piece.  I saw two of her shows today, just awful.  The first was about cattle gathering.  She roped (tortured) some helpless calf, and afterward said that he was startled and "it almost threw me 50 feet across the pen."  Too bad he didn't, it would have served you right.  The second was Alex's care package, where she makes a huge amount of sugary junk food to send to Alex at college. She made tiny cheese crackers by hand and punched a hole in each one.  Or should I say her assistant put the tiny holes in.  Who has time to do that?  I love to cook, but some of the things on food network are just a waste of time.  It reminds me of the episode where she makes homemade potato chips for over 100 teenage football players. No one would do that in real life.  Just buy some at the store!!  I know tv shows are all fake, but this is just too dumb.  

She made CHEEZITS? On Foodnetwork site, it says they take 1 hour 50 minutes. FOR CHEEZITS.

FFS, the girl's in college and she wants a box of crappy cheezits, not a "gourmet" bullshit thing.

Cripes.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

She made CHEEZITS? On Foodnetwork site, it says they take 1 hour 50 minutes. FOR CHEEZITS.

FFS, the girl's in college and she wants a box of crappy cheezits, not a "gourmet" bullshit thing.

Cripes.

Hey, it takes a lot of time to make your snack cracker match your hair color!

• Love 4

LOL, Anne.  I read the other day that Ree visits the beauty shop every six weeks.  I assume that's for her die jobs.  I wonder how she washes all that hair herself... or doesn't.

• Love 3

Lura, where did you read that?  Right now there are two extra shows.  On this episode she is making "colossal club sandwiches."  So huge, it is truly discusting.  Full of fatty bacon.  

(edited)
6 hours ago, Lura said:

LOL, Anne.  I read the other day that Ree visits the beauty shop every six weeks.  I assume that's for her die jobs.  I wonder how she washes all that hair herself... or doesn't.

There is no way she only gets it colored every six weeks, the grey roots would be too obvious in high def tv. It's not difficult to wash long, thick hair, I've always had long hair. But then I remember she's a lazy cow and probably makes her dear "friend" Hy do it.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Lura said:

LOL, Anne.  I read the other day that Ree visits the beauty shop every six weeks.  

By looking at Ree's hair, I think she goes to the beauty shop every six weeks to get it washed.  I bet she doesn't tip well.

Ree's hair doesn't look very thick to me.  I looks pretty fine and if she's using extensions for length, that's causing further damage. Red hair dye is terribly hard on your hair. I know because I did it for close to 15 years. It makes your hair very porous and the color fades pretty quickly. I didn't have much gray hair and I had to go in for retouching every five weeks. I will say, though, that freshly colored and styled red hair (in an appropriate shade) is probably one of the prettiest heads of hair to leave a salon (talking in general terms) especially when it's clean and shiny. After that first wash ... forget it.

• Love 1

I wonder where I did read that piece of information.  I know that it didn't come from one of those anti-Ree websites but rather from an interview with Ree.  The woman who wrote it got to stay overnight at the ranch.  Sorry I don't recall more, cathy.  It was also not reported as a negative and was merely a piece of information she included.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Watching the episode with the adults vs kids dinner (steaks and baked ziti) and Ree has to "drive" from the lodge to the house because it's soooooo far away. lol

I think it really is far away. I think I remember it's a 20 minute drive!

(edited)
On 7/26/2017 at 4:47 PM, peacheslatour said:

But then I remember she's a lazy cow and probably makes her dear "friend" Hy do it.

With (hat tip @Lura) Lester's Amazing "Grime Away" ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

I just looked up the ranch on Google maps and I couldn't believe it - you can TOUR the lodge! LOL! There's reviews and everything.

Do they charge the tourist for the tour?

(edited)

i

8 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

you have to get tickets at The Merc. 

And when you get there, you have to stand in line for two hours, and by the time you get in there, you're hungry, and you have to stop for lunch at the deli, and while you're eating, your eyes wander over to something cutesy (like hand puppets) to buy, and then you remember to buy your tickets.  And the first tickets available are for a day next month, so you grudgingly buy them and repeat the trip and the entire process all over again.  If someone made one of those old cash registers ring, Ree would jump up and yell, "OH!  They're playing my song!"

You watch.  Ree has plans for that ranch.  The Lodge is just the beginning.  She's aiming to turn it into Disneyland Drummondland out on the range somewhere. 

Edited by Lura
  • Love 7

IF I went on the Lodge tour, I would make a huge fuss that Bobby Flay had been there (wasn't that where did the Thanksgiving throwdown?) I wouldn't let up, ask where he actually stood, I'm breathing the same air he did, etc.  and wouldn't let up. (And I'm not even much of a BF fan ...)

• Love 8

I've never in my life seen people who supposedly work cattle and fields and are spic-span spankin' clean every second.  That means one of two things: 1) The people she says are working are not actually, you know, WORKING, or 2) They've changed clothes for the camera and any "work" they're shown doing at any particular moment is just for show.  One way or another, it's a straight up lie.  

I grew up around farm/ranchers.  The only way you were pasty white is if you never set foot outside.  There is no amount of sunscreen that would keep these people from getting zero color.  You might be able to keep from getting burned, but you cannot be out in the sun as long as she says they are without browning up.

Everything she says and does is a lie.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Hildegard802 said:

I've never in my life seen people who supposedly work cattle and fields and are spic-span spankin' clean every second.  That means one of two things: 1) The people she says are working are not actually, you know, WORKING, or 2) They've changed clothes for the camera and any "work" they're shown doing at any particular moment is just for show.  One way or another, it's a straight up lie.  

I grew up around farm/ranchers.  The only way you were pasty white is if you never set foot outside.  There is no amount of sunscreen that would keep these people from getting zero color.  You might be able to keep from getting burned, but you cannot be out in the sun as long as she says they are without browning up.

Everything she says and does is a lie.  

Um.. I believe we're supposed to call those "alternative facts" now.

• Love 9

On the second show Ladd is feeding the beautiful horses, and talking about how the government pays them to do this.  I bet they put that in because websites like this one talks about it.  He did NOT mention that they are paid one million dollars per year to do that.  The horses are wild mustangs, and are beautiful.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cathy said:

On the second show Ladd is feeding the beautiful horses, and talking about how the government pays them to do this.  I bet they put that in because websites like this one talks about it.  He did NOT mention that they are paid one million dollars per year to do that.  The horses are wild mustangs, and are beautiful.

The upkeep on those horses probably isn't that much, especially if they aren't providing veterinary services for them.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, cathy said:
  Hide contents

Now she is making a poached egg in tomato sauce.  Gross.  Next she will make egg in the hole.  AKA chicken in a basket   Ladd's favorite.  

She's doing a play on Sicilian Uova al Purgatorio, which is so delicious.  (I was skeptical, too, until I had them.)

i wouldn't try hers, though, because she craps them up with mushrooms and peppers, and this dish should be about the eggs, the spicy sauce, and a piece of crusty bread.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ariel said:

The upkeep on those horses probably isn't that much, especially if they aren't providing veterinary services for them.

No it's probably not. They already buy feed in bulk and they have a huge spread. They're not spending more than 5% to !0% of that million on those horses, if that.

• Love 2

I looked on her facebook page, she posted that they are opening up the lodge this August for tours.  The tours are free, you just have to stop by the Merc on the day you want to take the tour.  She gives a link to the merc.  I wonder why they are doing this.  Maybe the merc is a big money drain?  Even if that is so, the money they make from the (probably neglected) wild mustang horses should cover it.  Has anyone been there?  I won't go, it is too far for just that.  I think her fans who drive 500-700 miles just for that are bonkers.  On her show, she was making cinnamon toast.  She used 2 sticks of butter, and a good amount of sugar, for 4 pieces of toast.  That is way too much.  She must do that to maintain her contract with Land O' lakes butter.  

• Love 5

I guess we've all been hearing/seeing the reports of the multiple earthquakes in Oklahoma this week.  Although the tremors are not in her area, I've been trying to imagine what Ree would do if the earth started jiggling under her.  All I could come up with was total panic and her surety that Kingdom Come was about to happen.  I could see Ree dashing to her kitchen to make her minister one last batch of pumpkin cinnamon rolls.  Another thought was that she raced for her SUV, left the ranch in a cloud of dust, sped to her church and ran to the sanctuary, where she dropped to her knees and prayed, "Lord, if you let us live, as You are my witness, I will NEVER steal another recipe or cook Mexican again!  And I'll CANCEL my contract with Land O' Lakes butter!"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lura said:

I guess we've all been hearing/seeing the reports of the multiple earthquakes in Oklahoma this week.  Although the tremors are not in her area, I've been trying to imagine what Ree would do if the earth started jiggling under her.  

The earthquakes in OK are caused by fracking.  I wonder what Ree & Ladd think of fracking?  I'm thinking they are ok with it if they make money on it &  the earthquakes happen to other people, not them. 

Edited by ariel
  • Love 6

I just looked at her facebook page.  She looks like she has gained some weight, her face is getting doughy looking.  She is starting to age.  Needs more botox, it won't be long before a facelift is in order!!  Her dog Walter is very cute, though.  A saucer of milk for me for my catty comments!  meow.

• Love 1

When Ree starts to rhapsodize over the view of the ranchland from her balcony, I realize how much I would miss having trees if I lived there.  There are so few on that land.  I love homes that are surrounded by trees or at least have trees on the property.  That ranch seems to be pretty much flat and flatter.  I feel for the ranch hands who work outside all day long, especially in the brutally hot summers, with not even a tree to provide a little shade.  It makes me wonder whether Ree honestly loves the place (which I've always thought) or says that to reassure her dear daddy who had serious reservations about her marriage.  Ree always has to paint her life in such magical terms.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Lura said:

When Ree starts to rhapsodize over the view of the ranchland from her balcony, I realize how much I would miss having trees if I lived there.  There are so few on that land.  I love homes that are surrounded by trees or at least have trees on the property.  That ranch seems to be pretty much flat and flatter.  I feel for the ranch hands who work outside all day long, especially in the brutally hot summers, with not even a tree to provide a little shade.  It makes me wonder whether Ree honestly loves the place (which I've always thought) or says that to reassure her dear daddy who had serious reservations about her marriage.  Ree always has to paint her life in such magical terms.

As a Pacific North Westerner, I totally agree. I need to be near water, trees and mountains. Her ranch looks like a desolate  hellscape to me.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

As a Pacific North Westerner, I totally agree. I need to be near water, trees and mountains. Her ranch looks like a desolate  hellscape to me.

Her ranch looks like something from the dust bowl.  I don't find it a pretty place.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Lura said:

how do you know her dad had serious reservations about her marriage to Ladd?  Just curious.

1 hour ago, cathy said:

how do you know her dad had serious reservations about her marriage to Ladd?  Just curious.

I haven't read her blog in years, but I think Ree claimed that she had a boyfriend in LA who was a high powered attorney that was begging her to marry him, but she dumped him for Ladd.  Maybe daddy was pissed off about that or it could have been that she ran over the family dog?

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2

On her facebook page she says that she is filming a food network special series.  Of course she does not say what it is all about.  She will only tell her reeple at the last minute, the day before it aires.  There is a picture of a black lady doing her make-up.  Ree looks as pasty and ultra white as usual.  The black girl "Jackie" is now Ree's close friend, she claims.  This must be an attempt to expand her readership to minorities, to make more money.  I wonder if Ree looked at the eclipse.  If she did, we will be treated to a new series of books about a blind ranch girl, and her blind basset hound.

• Love 2