Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

United Shades of America

Congratulations to Kamau & the United Shades team on the Emmy win!

Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program

United Shades Of America With W. Kamau Bell
CNN • CNN Original Series, All3Media America, Main Event Media

• Like 3

CNN original series “United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell” will return for a third season Sunday, April 29, at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT.

• Like 5

Just watched the episode on Sikhs. There is a large Sikh population where I live in Canada, but I still learned in this episode and quite enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the Sikh episode. I learned :

That I've been producing Sikh incorrectly.

That they're not Muslim (not that there's anything wrong with being Muslim.)

I was also fascinated by the almond tree shaking machine (and had no idea so many Sikhs were into farming.)

Also, as the mom of an Army daughter, I was surprised and happy to see that a law got passed to allow people in the military to wear articles of their religion, such as beards and turbans. :)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 2

I also thought the Sikh episode was really good. Sometimes I worry this show is kind of boring to people who already know everything they are talking about, and of no interest to those who don't. But I learned stuff this time, and they managed to do it without leaving behind the kind of middle of the road mild mannered accessible gee whiz friendly tone they've been trying to strike so as not to be too threatening.

I kind of want to move to Yuma, now. I wonder if the publicity will cause them problems, or just attract more friendly attention. If they have a  tourism board, they must be ecstatic.

• Like 1

Both Sikh and Gullah episodes really informative and funny. I'm a Kamau fan.

I kind of want to move to Yuma, now. 

I said to my husband: so is there affordable real estate in Yuba City? 

On 5/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, IvySpice said:

I said to my husband: so is there affordable real estate in Yuba City? 

I spent a week in Yuba City earlier this year.  The only thing I knew about it was Juan Corona, the serial killer whose victims were migrant farm workers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real estate is affordable because it's a small city with not a whole lot going on.  For example, it doesn't have a university.  Chico, which is nearby, has Chico State and it's a much more vibrant town.  Yuba City is trying, and its downtown has something other than antique stores, which is always a good sign.  But it's nowhere I'd pick out to live.

The episode about the Sikhs was interesting because I'd noticed them walking around in numbers that told me it wasn't just random, plus some stores that obviously catered to them.  I figured they were recent immigrants because so many of them were walking instead of driving...in California.  Or maybe I just didn't see the ones who were driving, now that I think about it.  Anyway, they were a definite presence, and the show told me I was probably wrong about their being recent immigrants.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, the new season is supposed to start tonight at 10pm.   

• Like 2

Ditto, I switched providers and the new DVR won't let you record series unless they have new episodes on the guide schedule.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed last night's episode (like all his episodes). I have been to a mega church once--Hillsong in Sydney Australia--and was so amazed at how big and well organised that it was. I'm glad that he didn't turn it into a show that would bash people's faith, but focused more on "how the message was delivered" (if I paraphrase his pastor).

I just started watching the latest episode a bit ago and had to pause it to do some ranting on what I've seen so far....

This first megachurch has peeved me off due to the fact that the people who go to there give so much of their own money and then give their time doing jobs they should be getting paid for when a place like that is making so much money along with not paying income tax or property taxes. Then they don't even have to make their accounting public when they get so many massive tax breaks and are supposed to be places that serve their community. 

Seeing so many people working actual jobs for free under the guise of "volunteering" in the first church doing things like barista-ing in the coffee shop that looks like a mini Starbucks, working behind the scenes doing jobs in production/direction/camerawork/etc. so the services can be broadcast on TV along with wherever else the feed goes and other jobs that help the place make money is kinda making me mad. Especially knowing that so many of these pastors are being paid so much of the $$$$ these supposed charitable organizations are bringing in which allows them to live in huge homes (multiple at times), own fancy cars, have private jets and whatever kinds of things rich people amass. I know some of them claim it's due to things they do outside of the church like writing books, giving speeches and whatnot. It still makes me give them all major side-eye and affirms that I'd never want to step into one of those places unless I was getting good money to do so.

Instead of accepting all that money to live lavishly think of how much good they could do to help "their fellow man" like they espouse that others should do. 

Don't even get me started on the discussion Kamau had with the woman in the bookstore who had to quit going to the prominently white megachurch she had been attending the day after the current president was elected. Then the footage they showed of that pastor using manipulation through his sermons, pamphlets and whatever else they could probably think of to steer the votes of the congregation the way the church wanted them to go. 

I felt so bad for the woman who was molested and had to be further victimized by her parents when they made her apologize to her abuser. I'm glad she's felt free enough to name the person who did that her and that she's found an outlet to release what were probably pent up feelings and emotions over the whole situation.

Oh and that church lawyer guy who Kumau briefly spoke to more near the start of the episode creeped me the F out. 

I was glad the episode focused on some churches that appear to do more for their attendees and the community near the end. It brought my blood pressure down a bit after having watched what came before it.

Here's an article on CNN's site that Kamau wrote that includes a clip of him speaking to atheists that I guess didn't get to air in the episode. I'm not sure if it's from an earlier episode since I've never been able to watch this show regularly even though I'd like to. I either forget or realize to late to catch the episodes I wanted to see.

This response didn't surprise me in the least. His wife who's the real boss probably told him to walk back his agreeing to appear. Those two are like a younger slicker version of the Bakkers except I don't see either one of them feeling bad for what they did later on like Tammy Faye did.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Did anyone catch the name of the guy who Kamau prayed with outside on that church's newly purchased land?

• Useful 1