Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5

• Start Topic

Ugh really?  I have learned one thing through this and that is that I hate the Palladinos.

P.S. now that Rory is back I'm hating Lorelai and Sookie yet again.  They're being annoying again.

I need to go to Season 6...come with me.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, NYGirl said:

So I know I should write this in Season 6 but...

Actually the mods really prefer we don't spoil future seasons, even on a show as old as this. You might want to go ahead and move the comment so they don't have to. 🙂

Only watching the series for the first time now, in order, and almost done with season 5.

I don't understand some aspects of episode 5-19 ("But I'm a Gilmore", the one where Logan's family rudely, mid-dinner, dismisses Rory as too inappropriately inferior to join the faux-Sulzberger family).

First, though I know they've fictionalized the newspaper-owning Huntzberger family apparently to make them uber-WASPs of a most exclusionary type, why use the real Sulzbergers as a template for that when the Sultzbergers are among the most prominent Jewish families in this country?

Second, lofty though the Huntzbergers may be, aren't they quite friendly with Emily and Richard Gilmore, who presumably travel in the same upper-class, captains-of-industry, social circles? While Emily and Richard's home may not be the Velasquez-hanging palace that is chez Huntzberger, it's an impressive pile of bricks itself, and every character on this show who sees it for the first time remarks how imposing it is (e.g., "You grew up HERE?"). Indeed, intentionally or not, Rory's comments upon seeing chez Huntzberger for the first time essentially echo those of every other character on the show who sees the home of Emily and Richard Gilmore for the first time. What gives?

Third, the second point above leads of course to a significant plot conceit - and the title of this episode - Rory's plaintive comment, "But I'm a Gilmore." That seemed discordant and out of character. I don't think Rory has, at least up to now, ever been shown to think of herself, let alone boasted to others, that her DAR-descending heritage is something of true value and appropriately worthy of distinction. That seems antithetical to all she's been taught by - and shown to have absorbed from - her mother, who had rejected nearly all of "that world." Now, all of a sudden, Rory clings to her "fine family" entitlement when she's dissed? Yes, Dean had intuited independently that he was not her equal, based on her intelligence and education, but that wasn't based on her "Gimoreness" or "fine breeding" per se. Here, as Rory noted, her intelligence and education were dismissed as insufficient given her lack of . . . whatever?

Fourth, at the end, the Huntzberger father deus ex machina's in to offer her a coveted internship, and all is well? Who runs the Huntzberger family anyway, and if he does, how could he have allowed this to happen in the first place?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ahpny said:

Only watching the series for the first time now, in order, and almost done with season 5.

I don't understand some aspects of episode 5-19 ("But I'm a Gilmore", the one where Logan's family rudely, mid-dinner, dismisses Rory as too inappropriately inferior to join the faux-Sulzberger family).

First, though I know they've fictionalized the newspaper-owning Huntzberger family apparently to make them uber-WASPs of a most exclusionary type, why use the real Sulzbergers as a template for that when the Sultzbergers are among the most prominent Jewish families in this country?

Second, lofty though the Huntzbergers may be, aren't they quite friendly with Emily and Richard Gilmore, who presumably travel in the same upper-class, captains-of-industry, social circles? While Emily and Richard's home may not be the Velasquez-hanging palace that is chez Huntzberger, it's an impressive pile of bricks itself, and every character on this show who sees it for the first time remarks how imposing it is (e.g., "You grew up HERE?"). Indeed, intentionally or not, Rory's comments upon seeing chez Huntzberger for the first time essentially echo those of every other character on the show who sees the home of Emily and Richard Gilmore for the first time. What gives?

Third, the second point above leads of course to a significant plot conceit - and the title of this episode - Rory's plaintive comment, "But I'm a Gilmore." That seemed discordant and out of character. I don't think Rory has, at least up to now, ever been shown to think of herself, let alone boasted to others, that her DAR-descending heritage is something of true value and appropriately worthy of distinction. That seems antithetical to all she's been taught by - and shown to have absorbed from - her mother, who had rejected nearly all of "that world." Now, all of a sudden, Rory clings to her "fine family" entitlement when she's dissed? Yes, Dean had intuited independently that he was not her equal, based on her intelligence and education, but that wasn't based on her "Gimoreness" or "fine breeding" per se. Here, as Rory noted, her intelligence and education were dismissed as insufficient given her lack of . . . whatever?

Fourth, at the end, the Huntzberger father deus ex machina's in to offer her a coveted internship, and all is well? Who runs the Huntzberger family anyway, and if he does, how could he have allowed this to happen in the first place?

While I don't think that Jewishness in GG was as strong as the article linked below, I do think the Palladinos chose the WASP stereotype for the rich on purpose. My unfounded guess is it was more marketable back then, as opposed to Mrs. Maisel now.

The Huntzbergers were at least one magnitude higher in social standing than the Gilmores. Shira attended events as the "celebrity" while Emily worked them. Rory really wasn't in their league, even though she was deep in Logan's circle.

https://www.thejc.com/culture/tv/gilmore-girls-secretly-jewish-1.147926 

• Love 2

The Huntzbergers were at least one magnitude higher in social standing than the Gilmores.

That makes sense, and reminds me of an episode of the Sopranos that may have been roughly contemporaneous this this GG episode. The Supranos had always thought of themselves as rich and living in a grand home (and it certainly was compared with that of the vast majority of people). However, a young girl AJ's began dating at some point was from a significantly wealthier (and, as far as we were shown, legitimately wealthier) family, with an estate-like home that made the Soprano house look like a shack. The episode showed AJ's shock and disappointment at realizing there were people who were far richer than his family and lives in demonstrably more luxurious homes. I suppose this was something like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/5/2021 at 8:01 PM, junienmomo said:

The Huntzbergers were at least one magnitude higher in social standing than the Gilmores. Shira attended events as the "celebrity" while Emily worked them. Rory really wasn't in their league, even though she was deep in Logan's circle.

My impression was that the Huntzbergers are wealthier, but not necessarily of higher social class than the Gilmores. Hence they know each other socially but the Huntzbergers would view Rory as a potential gold-digger. Their deep pockets would mean that they'd get special treatment at events in order to try to coax them into donating more. My guess is that Shira has her own pet causes and organizations, which are different from those of Emily and Rory and she was never well developed enough as a character for us to see Emily or Rory at an event she had helped organize.

But as has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, the Gilmores' wealth and social status weren't especially consistent and were written to be whatever the writers needed to serve the plot.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, ahpny said:

Now, all of a sudden, Rory clings to her "fine family" entitlement when she's dissed?

Yeah, that scene is one of the many reasons why I vastly prefer Chilton Rory to Yale Rory. If season 1 Rory ever cared that she was descended from people who came over on the Mayflower, it would have been for the historical connection. I also feel like she would have known that there are tons of Mayflower descendants in the US (approximately 10 million), most of whom are ordinary people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I am currently watching To Live and Let Diorama. I often forget how much I love this episode. Drunk Paris is hilarious! Her rant about how men should just stumble upon the truth because they say so much and then her demanding people give her money for the payphone will never not crack me up. Drunk Lane is also really funny. "He looked right into my face directly from his face and told me he was lying."

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

While listening to Scott Patterson's interview of Sean Gunn on Scott's podcast (episode 3), Sean commented that Jews and Chinese Food was one of his favorite episodes. He talked sweetly about the moment when LL are looking at each other backstage, and they discussed several other moments.

The Sean said that his favorite moment was singing with the child. IIRC he found that the best moment of the whole series for him.

I found that moment highly inappropriate and rather creepy. Am I alone? Shudder. 

Other things they discussed included Kirk asking Lorelai out and how Luke was the "real man" that Kirk looked up to. 

Good podcast BTW. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Then Sean said that his favorite moment was singing with the child. IIRC he found that the best moment of the whole series for him.

I found that moment highly inappropriate and rather creepy. Am I alone? Shudder. 

Um, no. You're definitely not alone.

3 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Other things they discussed included Kirk asking Lorelai out and how Luke was the "real man" that Kirk looked up to.

Aw, that's sweet. :)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I finally finished S5. 

Lor proposed ! Luke accepted.

Rory went baaaddd stole a boat and quit Yale.

Mama Kim is back in Lanes life.

Logan is not charming or cute. He is a jerk and a kid who will be rich 4eva cuz of his inheritance. And one conversation from Rory and all of a sudden he is no longer a player but a 1 woman man… yeah right. Rory’s vagina is so special he is willing to commit to her at 20? Hahaha. Rory is cute but she isn’t STUNNING or special. 

I liked it when Mitchum gave her a reality check. Rory the assistant never the EDITOR/Barbara Walters. 

Emily is truly a vile woman. 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Oh I forgot about Dean lolz. Guess this was the year the actor went to supernatural. 

So Dean ended his marriage for nothing. No college, no wife. Guess he became a construction worker full time and lived at home?! The writers should have let Dean/Lindsay be happy. 

But nah precious Rory and her special vagina is so alluring Dean left his wife. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Rewatching in the background and just watched Rory get told she "doesn't have it" by Mitchum... and he's a dick, but honestly: what on earth is she wearing?! A t-shirt and a sweater vest held up by weird suspenders? Not even in the Delia's catalogues strangest fever dream my friends...

• LOL 2
14 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

but honestly: what on earth is she wearing?! A t-shirt and a sweater vest held up by weird suspenders?

Naturally I had to go back and look. Um, yeah. That's pretty hideous. 

• LOL 1