Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Lorelai and Rory are suddenly totally fine with Emily and Richard manipulating Rory into that party where she was paraded in front of all the rich white men they could find

Lorelai was not fine with the party, she was pissed as hell, repeatedly calling them until she got them on the phone, only to be told by Emily that it's too late for you, but not for Rory.

• Love 1

My point is, she called Emily and Richard and told them she was not okay with it.  Next episode?  She goes right back to the Friday night dinner as if nothing has ever happened.  She's buddy buddy with Emily again helping her go on a date.  No fallout in the next episode.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My point is, she called Emily and Richard and told them she was not okay with it.  Next episode?  She goes right back to the Friday night dinner as if nothing has ever happened.  She's buddy buddy with Emily again helping her go on a date.  No fallout in the next episode.

I don't think this show is very keen on continuity. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know, I think when Lorelai saw Rory stumble out of the limo obviously having had a great time with the rich male Yalies despite her initial (weak) protests, it kind of took the wind out of Lorelai's sails. It was at that point it became clear to her that Rory wasn't really that unhappy with being fully incorporated into R/E's world....and so if Lorelai continued to fight it she was not only pushing back against R/E, she was also pushing back against her own daughter. She just sort of lost the will to fight it at that point, IMO.

• Love 8

What's worse for me is that Emily treat Lorelai like crap in Kropogs, putting her down in front of Logan, acting like she doesn't know what kind of drink she likes, and in the very next episode they are picking out ballerinas and eating chocolate fondue.

Edited by lulu1960
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

What's worse for me is that Emily treat Loreelai like crap in Kropogs, putting her down in front of Logan, acting like she doesn't know what kind of drink she likes, and in the very next episode they are picking out ballerinas and eating chocolate fondue.

This happens again and again on this show. Emily will humiliate and berate Lorelai in front of anyone, she doesn't care who or where. For people who claim to be very upper crust and proper, they have the manners of warthogs. I take that back, warthogs have better manners.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, lulu1960 said:

What's worse for me is that Emily treat Lorelai like crap in Kropogs, putting her down in front of Logan, acting like she doesn't know what kind of drink she likes, and in the very next episode they are picking out ballerinas and eating chocolate fondue.

I absolutely hated that Lorelai goes right back acting like nothing happened after the Kropogs epsiode. She never should have gone back or spoken to Emily again. I rarely watch Kropogs not just because of how Emily has no problem treating her daughter like crap in front of Rory's boyfriend. But it really makes clear that Emily no longer gives a shit about her daughter or having a relationship with one. Now that Rory is dating Logan, she doesn't want or need Lorelai anymore. I know we've talked about in the other thread that Richard and Emily seem to really not like Lorelai. That episode really shows she doesn't. She has the perfect pairing she wants Rory and Logan. So Lorelai no longer matters.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This happens again and again on this show. Emily will humiliate and berate Lorelai in front of anyone, she doesn't care who or where. For people who claim to be very upper crust and proper, they have the manners of warthogs. I take that back, warthogs have better manners.

It does and it gets harder to understand why Lorelai stays and puts up with it. Everyone and every animal has better manners then Emily. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Help me!  I went from the Season 4 / early Season 5 glow to all of the things that are so hard to watch.  Ugh... I forgot Christopher shows up so soon again in this season, and then we have the dreadful party you discussed above where Rory is paraded in front of a bunch of guys just so that she will break up with Dean.  I can't stand the storylines like these---it takes all of the joy out of the show.  And as much as Dean is a pain, I hate the scene where Rory comes out of the party to see him.  No words.  Anyway... Lorelai is already lying to Luke because of Chris, and here we go....  bracing myself for more of this.  Yea!  

Oh and let's not forget TJ and Liz.  Another bright spot.... 😞  Liz can be okay but I have never been able to handle TJ and how he interrupts many a good scene.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 3
On 10/26/2019 at 11:15 PM, andromeda331 said:

I absolutely hated that Lorelai goes right back acting like nothing happened after the Kropogs epsiode. She never should have gone back or spoken to Emily again. I rarely watch Kropogs not just because of how Emily has no problem treating her daughter like crap in front of Rory's boyfriend. But it really makes clear that Emily no longer gives a shit about her daughter or having a relationship with one. Now that Rory is dating Logan, she doesn't want or need Lorelai anymore. I know we've talked about in the other thread that Richard and Emily seem to really not like Lorelai. That episode really shows she doesn't. She has the perfect pairing she wants Rory and Logan. So Lorelai no longer matters.

It does and it gets harder to understand why Lorelai stays and puts up with it. Everyone and every animal has better manners then Emily. 

That's what people got really tired of. We were to "believe" that Emily and Richard were just naive to the World of the Rich and Lorelai just couldn't help, but screw things up as a result. It was complete BS. Same here as we see Kirk go from a guy apparently wanting to grow up for Lulu and have a family and his own life. To going to the point he has Lulu convince her entire school to let an almost 40 year old play the lead part where the oldest kid is 10 years old. The fact that then Kirk reverts to ACTING like a 7 year old. To the point he reveals he just wants to be Taylor some day, the Selectman who apparently has more power than the mayor and all his "odd jobs" are just so he can get there. It's a big WTF!

• Love 1
On 6/11/2020 at 3:24 PM, readster said:

That's what people got really tired of. We were to "believe" that Emily and Richard were just naive to the World of the Rich and Lorelai just couldn't help, but screw things up as a result. It was complete BS. Same here as we see Kirk go from a guy apparently wanting to grow up for Lulu and have a family and his own life. To going to the point he has Lulu convince her entire school to let an almost 40 year old play the lead part where the oldest kid is 10 years old. The fact that then Kirk reverts to ACTING like a 7 year old. To the point he reveals he just wants to be Taylor some day, the Selectman who apparently has more power than the mayor and all his "odd jobs" are just so he can get there. It's a big WTF!

Yes! Kirk makes me shudder when these things happen. It's worse knowing he gets a pass for everything.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:24 PM, readster said:

I absolutely hated that Lorelai goes right back acting like nothing happened after the Kropogs epsiode. She never should have gone back or spoken to Emily again.

Also a big yes here. 
There were so many alternative solutions to be with Rory and Logan.

On top of that, I cannot fathom how Lorelai could suddenly be silent on her parents' treatment of the guy she is in a very serious relationship with. Emily and Richard were condescending, manipulative and outright insulting to him. They broke them up and had no remorse. 
It's another example of her not being "all in" in that relationship. In too many ways, Lorelai is a relationship train wreck in S5.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Yes! Kirk makes me shudder when these things happen. It's worse knowing he gets a pass for everything.

Also a big yes here. 
There were so many alternative solutions to be with Rory and Logan.

On top of that, I cannot fathom how Lorelai could suddenly be silent on her parents' treatment of the guy she is in a very serious relationship with. Emily and Richard were condescending, manipulative and outright insulting to him. They broke them up and had no remorse. 
It's another example of her not being "all in" in that relationship. In too many ways, Lorelai is a relationship train wreck in S5.

I am dreading some of this to come.  I really hate the shenanigans that came with the fall of L/L's relationship.  They could have created drama that wasn't so depressing.  Maybe I should have stopped my rewatch with Season 4.  lol!

I am also guessing this season is where we have the episode I hate where Lor/Luke go to Logan's family's home and Rory acts like she is one regular cook.  She becomes such a snob, as if she has always been working in the kitchen.  Clearly we know differently.  I always hate those scenes and that episode in general.  Unless there is some saving grace I have forgotten.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, junienmomo said:

It got to be too much. I mean go forward to season 6 with Kirk driving through Luke's dinner because he is blinded by the Stop Light Camera. First of all, who the HELL put in that camera that it would be that bright. You have to have city or state workers DO THAT! Can't be just anyone, and they HAVE to check the brightness so that doesn't happen. Plus, I get that Luke refused any help from Taylor who felt so bad. However, when he ends up yelling (finally) at Taylor about ALL the stupid crap he has done over the years and how it ALL backfires on him. Taylor just sits there silent. Luke should have followed: "NEVER EVER, come to my diner, NEVER come in 100 ft of me, I'm getting a restraining order and NEVER BRING DUMBASS KIRK INTO ANYTHING!" Followed by Luke look at Kirk and going: "GROW THE FUCK UP and LEAVE TOWN!" "I getting an order on you too." Followed by turning to Lulu and going: "Good luck!" Then walking away. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I always hate those scenes and that episode in general.  Unless there is some saving grace I have forgotten.

It's an abysmal episode except for this being the only time that I can think of that Luke declares his love.

LUKE: You know I love you, right?

LORELAI: I really need to hear that once in a while.

LUKE: I love you, and I'm going to marry you, and at our wedding, we are having lobster.

• Love 5

This might need to be my last watch through, unless I decide to stop at season 4 in the future.  I just saw the episode of the vow renewal where of course we have Christopher coming in just to ruin things (this after both lorelai and rory were supportive of him about gigi and his dad's death), and Rory just acting like an idiot about Logan.  And the parts where Luke says he wants to end things, but then comes over as Lorelai asks him to, and then she basically chases him away.  All of this and I know what is still to come.  Kind of horrifying!  lol. 

Where did the joy go?  Did she not care to have a joyful show anymore when she was writing?  Did she want it to all go to crap all of the sudden?  

• Love 4

Well just started my rewatch of S.5. Looking forward to the 5 or 10 mins of L and L together before ASP shits all over it 

Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller. I enjoyed this ep but Dean going home to his wife after sleeping with Rory- what a scuzzbucket.

Lorelai realizing for the first time her daughter sucks.

Luke- don't change your mind until I get back- Adorbs.

I like the band stuff and stuff with Lane.

• Love 6
On 8/24/2020 at 6:47 PM, cleo said:

Well just started my rewatch of S.5. Looking forward to the 5 or 10 mins of L and L together before ASP shits all over it 

Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller. I enjoyed this ep but Dean going home to his wife after sleeping with Rory- what a scuzzbucket.

Lorelai realizing for the first time her daughter sucks.

Luke- don't change your mind until I get back- Adorbs.

I like the band stuff and stuff with Lane.

I'm plotting out a Fanfiction for that time period and have been rewatching S5 as well.

One thing that impressed me with Lorelai is how sincere she was post-vow renewal about telling Luke that she wanted to stay with him and how much it mattered to her. Things that she had apparently never told him before. Too bad that his trust in her words was already damaged. On the other hand, I cheered when he told Emily that they got back together because they wanted it, not because she told him to.

• Love 7

Written in the Stars. I  like Paris but not into the whole Asher wake thing. Looking forward to Doyle.

Also don't enjoy Emily and Richard fighting.

There is no way Luke I'm all in Danes would basically dump Lorelai for an unexpected daughter. I will never buy that was in character.

Even fast forwarding Logan seems like a douche and Marty seems decent. Although I will say Matt C is cute.

Eta Lorelai is rude after Luke cooked a whole breakfast. Also crazy but that is way better than having to get dressed and go out for breakfast every morning. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, cleo said:

Written in the Stars. I  like Paris but not into the whole Asher wake thing. Looking forward to Doyle.

Also don't enjoy Emily and Richard fighting.

There is no way Luke I'm all in Danes would basically dump Lorelai for an unexpected daughter. I will never buy that was in character.

Even fast forwarding Logan seems like a douche and Marty seems decent. Although I will say Matt C is cute.

Eta Lorelai is rude after Luke cooked a whole breakfast. Also crazy but that is way better than having to get dressed and go out for breakfast every morning. 

That's funny; over time, I've come to think of Logan as decent at the core, but yeah, a douche in many of his actions.  Conversely, I've gone from thinking of Marty as a shy but probably nice guy to him just being an immature jerk.  But different strokes, etc.  Otherwise, I'm totally on board.

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Love 2

@Miss Anne Thrope you could be right, as might be evident I don't like Rory and it has been years and years since I watched this. So I can't remember very well. I do vaguely recall Marty I guess had that problem of never being straightforward and then getting resentful.

• Love 2

@cleo, oh, I don't think there's a wrong or right where Gilmore Girls are concerned.  I've probably loved and hated - or liked and disliked, depending on the level of investment on a given day -- every character at some point over the many years.  It's part of the fun (and frustration) of watching the denizens of Stars Hollow, Hartford, Yale, etc.

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

@cleo, oh, I don't think there's a wrong or right where Gilmore Girls are concerned.  I've probably loved and hated - or liked and disliked, depending on the level of investment on a given day -- every character at some point over the many years.  It's part of the fun (and frustration) of watching the denizens of Stars Hollow, Hartford, Yale, etc.

Same here. I started out really liking Dean, being indifferent to Christopher and hating Jess. After many subsequent viewings, I now really like Jess, dislike Dean and actively hate Christopher.

• Love 6

And I liked Dean but became indifferent to him because of his totally OOT character assassination, hated Jesse from start to finish, hated Christopher from start to finish, and hated Logan every single second.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

They really overused Taylor. I wonder if the actor had some appearance guarantees in his contract.

ETA however Kirk always being on board with Taylor is funny.

ETA 2 I shouldnt post until I watch a whole ep. I dislike Tippecanoe and Taylorntoo. I hate that trope- shitty character finally gets hit by karma and everyone feels sorry for shitty character. Or just Lorelai. But still. Maybe shitty people would be less lonely if they stopped treating other people badly?

I also hate Jackson being like- I want to run- and then - I don't want to do this. I could see that after a week or two, but right away? So dumb.

Of course LG and SP are sick of one another or something after the coupley episodes so they have barely any scenes. 

I did like Lane just telling Zack she liked him.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4

I'm really not enjoying season 5. I thought I would/did. I think this is the first time I watches since the show ended, I can't remember. So I think part of it is just knowing how the show ends and that it's mostly downhill from here.

There are still moments that are good but that's it. I figured once I hit season 6 I would probably skip alot. So it's just coming a bit earlier than I expected.

I dunno, if or how to finish season 5, have to think about it. I don't normally skip around episodes when I do a rewatch. So I need a new approach lol.

• Love 2
On 9/29/2020 at 9:45 PM, cleo said:

I'm really not enjoying season 5. I thought I would/did. I think this is the first time I watches since the show ended, I can't remember. So I think part of it is just knowing how the show ends and that it's mostly downhill from here.

There are still moments that are good but that's it. I figured once I hit season 6 I would probably skip alot. So it's just coming a bit earlier than I expected.

I dunno, if or how to finish season 5, have to think about it. I don't normally skip around episodes when I do a rewatch. So I need a new approach lol.

On my last rewatch I felt similar until I got over the hump at some point in season 5, and there were some great moments with many of the episodes.  I enjoyed the full run after early season 5, with of course a few minor exceptions.  

• Love 2

Emily Says Hello is a good ep. I like the whole storyline of Paris on the religious beat. Lots of funny lines.

Also good storyline with Emily. She calls Lorelai freaking out and Lorelai says who is this? Emily- it's you in 20 yrs. Heh.

Lorelai and Christopher. I never really got their relationship from Lorelai's end. Rory says Lorelai is always waiting for him. I never really got that feeling. But I do think she used him maybe to break up her relationships, like with Max. And he was an easy fall back when she was feeling shitty like season 6. But I never got the sense she was was ever pining or waiting for him. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, cleo said:

Emily Says Hello is a good ep. I like the whole storyline of Paris on the religious beat. Lots of funny lines.

Also good storyline with Emily. She calls Lorelai freaking out and Lorelai says who is this? Emily- it's you in 20 yrs. Heh.

Lorelai and Christopher. I never really got their relationship from Lorelai's end. Rory says Lorelai is always waiting for him. I never really got that feeling. But I do think she used him maybe to break up her relationships, like with Max. And he was an easy fall back when she was feeling shitty like season 6. But I never got the sense she was was ever pining or waiting for him. 

I do like the Emily and Paris part of the episode. I like her calling Lorelai and the scene when Lorelai shows up to help her out. Agree about Christopher I never got the feeling Lorelai was ever pining or waiting for him either.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I never got the feeling Lorelai was ever pining or waiting for him either.

ASP was pining for him.  When he was available, she shoe horned him in whether or not it made sense.

• Love 8

I’m just past the L/L kissing episode and now I’m scared to watch further. (I will, of course...how else to keep myself distracted on the dreadmill?)

1) Rory. Sigh. I was an idiot at your age and you’ve had your Stars Hollow Princess ego stepped on a few times lately (laundry guy, Spring Break guy), but sleeping with Dean was sixteen kinds of stupid. However, telling Jess to run along and finally getting that he was probably going to flake out before you got to the Star Hollow town limits if you’d said yes? Points.

2) Lorelai. Don’t mess this up. You will, apparently. Girl????!!!!!!

3) Emily has hit that stage in life where she’s followed everyone else’s rules the whole time and now has a raging case of the FuckThats. I can relate.

4) I enjoyed Kirk. Now I don’t. Now I am tired of him appearing in every single town scene. Is he one of ASP’s pets?

I now understand why people who watched this series before don’t like Dean and think Jess is troubled but okay. I still think Jess is a selfish twerp, though...run away with me Rory, to a shithole in NYC and give up your education, your dreams, your friends and your family? Please.

I am resigned to the reappearance of Fuckwit Christopher but ASP has crap taste in men. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I’m just past the L/L kissing episode and now I’m scared to watch further. (I will, of course...how else to keep myself distracted on the dreadmill?)

There are lots of nice moments in S5.
Rory getting the courage in You Jump.

LL sweet moments.

I'm always fascinated how Lorelai can ignore basic rules of relationships, but that stuff comes to a head at the fake wedding. 

Post S5: that's harder.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

4) I enjoyed Kirk. Now I don’t. Now I am tired of him appearing in every single town scene. Is he one of ASP’s pets?

I now understand why people who watched this series before don’t like Dean and think Jess is troubled but okay. I still think Jess is a selfish twerp, though...run away with me Rory, to a shithole in NYC and give up your education, your dreams, your friends and your family? Please.

I am resigned to the reappearance of Fuckwit Christopher but ASP has crap taste in men. 

Yep, AS-P's taste in men or at least what she considers "the type" are a bunch of self absorbed assholes, who blame everyone for their problems, but themselves. Then everyone tells them: "Yep, it's not your fault." enabling their behavior even more. Or just another day in Stars Hollow, why dumbasses like Taylor continue to sink their town into bankruptcy and people like Mitchum exist. 

• Love 5

Annnnnnd Rory just met Logan, aka Tristan 2.0. Gawdamighty with the jerks already. Rory has abysmal taste in men.

And could she stand up straight? The slouching. The wide eyed girly stare. You’d think that hanging around Paris Rory would start to grow a pair. Now there’s a woman who takes crap from no one.

I hope I like Rory again at some point...right now she’s working my last nerve. Lorelai was right about Rory reaching the bratty teen stage five years late.

ETA: I have a real snarl toward snotty rich kids because I went to a private prep school for two years as one of the Not Rich kids. This is High School Redux for me.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 4
On 10/15/2020 at 2:36 PM, Oldernowiser said:

She and I are of an age. We’d sit around in our robes, drink too much, and kvetch. We’d have a great time!

And smoking in the living room! That was absolutely hilarious when Gran died and Emily refused to plan the funeral!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

And smoking in the living room! That was absolutely hilarious when Gran died and Emily refused to plan the funeral!

Don't forget to thank Pennilynn Lott just for being Pennilynn Lott!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

CHRISTOPHER CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF WITH HIS PITY PARTY AND TAKE HIS TWO WORST ENABLERS WITH HIM.

Rory? You had it right the first time. Your father is a selfish putz.

Lorelai? You don’t spend all night drinking with your ex, not least because supposedly he has a baby to look after. AND YOU TELL LUKE THE TRUTH. THE MAN GAVE YOU AN ICE RINK. Seriously. WTAF. 

God I hate Christopher. Every time he says “Lor” or “Kid” I want to punch him in the throat.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Kropog episode-2nd least favorite episode. Rory is exceptionally brain dead; trotting after Mitchum like a toddler; gushing over her apparently first picture ID (driver’s license, passport, and college ID do not count 🙄); Emily at her condescending best...

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Kropog episode-2nd least favorite episode. Rory is exceptionally brain dead; trotting after Mitchum like a toddler; gushing over her apparently first picture ID (driver’s license, passport, and college ID do not count 🙄); Emily at her condescending best...

Not just the condescension but the way they slobbered all over Logan. It was contemptible.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Not just the condescension but the way they slobbered all over Logan. It was contemptible.

And don't even get me started on the whole theft issue and how dewy-eyed Rory ignored it.  WTF!

• Love 6

Olderniwiser I appreciate the fresh rage of new viewers lol. I'm actually watching Wedding Bell Blues today. With time and rewatches, I now mostly feel nausea and bitterness.

Christopher you asshat. Emily tells you to YOUR FACE you are weak and easily led, and you hop to and do exactly she wants. She also referred to your daughter as 'this'.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And don't even get me started on the whole theft issue and how dewy-eyed Rory ignored it.  WTF!

Of course, Emily blamed "the help" and Rory just sits there and doesn't open her trap even though she knows Logan took it. If I were Lorelai I would have smacked Rory for that.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, cleo said:

Olderniwiser I appreciate the fresh rage of new viewers lol. I'm actually watching Wedding Bell Blues today. With time and rewatches, I now mostly feel nausea and bitterness.

Christopher you asshat. Emily tells you to YOUR FACE you are weak and easily led, and you hop to and do exactly she wants. She also referred to your daughter as 'this'.

Me too! I look for Olderniwiser posts too. It is fun to read new viewers observations and opinions.

• Love 5