Type keyword(s) to search

After The Black: What? Could they not get Chris Hardwick?

At my house having an after show for Orphan Black is a running joke, because who are you going to get?  "And now back for her 16th consecutive appearance, it's Tatiana Maslany!"

It was meh and the male host was channelling his inner Chris Hardwick to extreme levels.

• Love 2

Yeah if they dropped the male host or get Chris Hardwick to do it it would be better. There are several actors they can get plus celebrities. I think it will get better as they grow into the show or if they replace the male host or just kick him off and have the female one.

After The Black is actually a Canadian production that ran after OB in Canada last year - BBC America didn't air it then, but picked it up for this season. That's why no Hardwick - the hosts are from a geek/pop culture show in Canada called InnerSpace. And since it's filmed in Toronto, it's way easier to get the stars on.

Edited by Katanma
  • Love 1

I've watched the after show last year and it's pretty much the same it is now, so I wouldn't expect much improvement. At least they got rid of their asinine speculations at the end of each episode (we can make those just as fine on our own, thank you very much), so that's a plus. The guests are usually enough reason for watching even when they can't get Tat every episode and there are always some nice behind the scenes tidbits.

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 2

After The Black is actually a Canadian production that ran after OB in Canada last year - BBC America didn't air it then, but picked it up for this season. That's why no Hardwick - the hosts are from a geek/pop culture show in Canada called InnerSpace. And since it's filmed in Toronto, it's way easier to get the stars on.

Is it live or taped? Felt taped (with the ads showing what happened during the show before it aired) but then they had the questions and I'm pretty sure Canada and US airs it at the same time but I may be wrong.

As someone who just cannot with Chris Hardwick, I'm glad he's not hosting ATB. Neither host left much of an impression with me other than "thank God Chris Hardwick isn't hosting this." I always thought Tat was adorable, now I think Kevin is too. :-) 

• Love 1
At my house having an after show for Orphan Black is a running joke, because who are you going to get?  "And now back for her 16th consecutive appearance, it's Tatiana Maslany!"

Like she doesn't already have enough to do playing pretty much 2/3 of the shows characters.

I'm not crazy about Hardwick either but he'd be better than either or both

of these hosts. They were a little to chipper for me. I felt like I was watching

Good Morning America or a similiar US "infotainment" morning show. That

chick just grated.

• Love 1

I hate this shit. I will say that it's nice that the after show is only 30 minutes, but it taped it on my dvr like it was part of the programming. I don't know how long this show has been on but when you make a show afterwards and about the hour long show that appeared before hand, I'm not going to be that interested. I'm glad they're not like TTD because I hate Chris Hardwick and the show takes away all fantasy from the show.

Oh yea that was an awesome zombie kill that happened, but lets detail how we used some uncooked pork to make a zombie kill and tell you about how he made something that looked like human flesh for our vegetarian extras to chomp on with some gummi worms and corn starch! Chris Hardwick is too thrilled about all the shows he has to talk after for on AMC. I don't know if the guy has kids but I would think that he owes their souls to AMC at this point.

I like behind the scenes stuff. It's easy enough not to watch if you don't want to know. But my stupid DVR somehow decided to not record, even though I specifically set it and double checked that I'd done so.

I thought the ATB for the first episode this season was OK, not great. The hosts are too perky and hardly seemed to have even watched the show in the first place. I prefer a nerd examination to an "Entertainment Tonight" style review.

Because of the recording fail, I didn't see this week's ATB. If anyone did, how was it, and who was on?

It wasn't the same hosts--the same guy from last week but a different guy instead of the female (you can tell they all made a huge impression on me!).  The guests were John and Graham and Kristian Braun, and they were good.  They said there's a planned end, but kind of suggested they've not taken a linear path to that end.  Someone asked Kristian about Donnie's feelings for the clones, and basically if he was nice because he was a) scared of Alison, b) invested in family, or c) just a really nice guy.  He said it was all of the above.  Typing it doesn't make it as much fun as it was when he said it.

I like behind the scenes stuff. It's easy enough not to watch if you don't want to know. But my stupid DVR somehow decided to not record, even though I specifically set it and double checked that I'd done so.

You might be able to watch it via the BBCA website. My DVR didn't record it, either, but I watched it online (had to enter the cable/dish provider first).

That was certainly the worst/best episode yet. Other than Kathryn Alexandre's bit about the behind the scenes work, it was forgettable, but Joel Thomas Hynes (who plays what's-his-name) really eye-rolled it to another level. That look at 6:00 in was priceless. Anyone good at lip reading? No wonder this episode lasted only 14 minutes...

Conan, what are you referring to? "6:00?" Do you mean 6 min into the show?

These hosts are really awful. They may watch the show, but they don't seem to be engaged with the actors when/while they're interviewing them. It's so shallow.

I'm not familiar with the actor who plays Dizzy so those death glares, I just wondered if they are part of his personality cause I did catch those glares. Speaking of which, Ari Millen didn't seem especially comfortable either when they were interviewing him. These hosts are terrible. I can't think of another show I would sit through this shit for.

• Love 1

Funny, I have the exact opposite reaction to the hosts. Yes, some of their questions are silly, but the specificity of their questions shows me that they actually watched the show and that they are genuine fans of the series. And I like that. 

I'm another one who thinks the hosts are useless. They've clearly watched the show which is more than some interviewers bother to do - one interview I watched had them  asking if there'd ever be male clones. However, they don't seem to think about the show in any detail or care about it or what the actors are saying. When Kathryn was explaining multiple clone scenes, all the host could reply with was "wow" and back on the first episode this season they described Beth and Art's relationship as "romantic". I don't know what show they were watching then.

• Love 1

The hosts just seem so over the top peppy and happy and it comes off as fake to me.  They have obviously seen the show, but they also seem to watch it on a fairly shallow level.  And they don't seem to know what to ask the actors really.  Even Tatiana they didn't have great questions for; she's the star and it was the first episode--surely they had time to work up some decent interview points!!

lf it weren't for the behind the scenes bits, and the sneak peeks, I would not watch this show.  The hosts drive me crazy.  But I love Orphan Black, so I'm in for this too, I guess.

• Love 2

I'm only watching for the guests and the behind the scenes stuff. Although I have the hardest time reading those
 tiny "facts." And then I forget to watch for them because I'm paying too much attention to the clip!

• Love 3

Regardless of feelings towards Hardwick, you can tell he digs into each episode and remembers what happened in the past and can actually interview someone.

• Love 4

The hosts are defective clones of Tara and Johnny, if Tara and Johnny couldn't skate. To me they make the argument, Parents: turn off your cameras.

On 5/13/2016 at 8:54 PM, Pallas said:

The hosts are defective clones of Tara and Johnny, if Tara and Johnny couldn't skate. To me they make the argument, Parents: turn off your cameras.

Who the hell are Tara and Johnny?

When I read Tara and Johnny I immediately thought of former U.S. ice skaters Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, who (I think...) took over the NBC broadcasting duties during the last Winter Olympics, replacing stalwarts Dick Button and that other older blonde skater. I don't watch ice skating anymore, haven't in decades, but seems like Tara and Johnny are an acquired taste? I have seen Tara and Johnny covering horse racing also on NBC the last couple years. They cover the fashions seen at whatever track they're at. FWIW I usually FF thru them. :)

I think ATB is getting better. I meant to come over here last week to say I liked it, but then I got distracted and now I can't remember what specifically I liked. But I thought this week's installment was also pretty good. I think the difference is that they hosts are letting the guests talk more. At first the hosts were talking more and floating their own ideas and speculating, and not really letting the guests say much. But they've taken more of a back seat and let the guests do more of the talking, and it really helps. It feels more like they're facilitating the conversation rather than controlling it.

I was losing my mind over the clip they showed from next week's show, with Krystal pretending to be from TMZ and asking about Delphine's "murder" at the press conference. I don't know why, but I just really loved it. I guess I like that even though she's not been initiated into Clone Club, she's totally one of them and totally working for their interests, even if she doesn't know it. I want to see her and Helena become friends. I don't know why, I just think it would be The Best. They both have a kind of boldness and a kind of innocence, even though it's not really the same kind. And I think the two of them would be the best on a team together.

I also like that they went out of their way to make the presence of a female director known as part of the behind the scenes things. Actually, I think the info on the screen said they had two female directors. With all the talk going around these days, about how unbalanced the industry is, this show is one of the very few that is so unapologetically female-oriented, and I like that they are also making a point of including some female authority behind the cameras, not just in front.

And the guys get it. They referenced the "dead lesbian" trope and how serious it is, in the course of talking about Delphine. Not being defensive about the outrage over the shooting of Delphine, but saying they realize why it's valid as a concern, was awesome and so rare.

• Love 2